• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Guess the E-payment that Razer Tan is going to propose to PM

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the exception of tax collection, not quite sure what are the economic benefits of pursuing this so vigorously.

For it to work, they will have to do more than reduce the 1 to 2% fee. It will be necessary to give some kind of rebate for QR code payments to generate the demand to force acceptance.

Small merchants and hawkers are also concerned about paying taxes but I know that IRAS has been on the ball with their teams tagging hawkers for the last 10 years, so it does not matter if they are auditable or not.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
After 3 years of achieving nothing under the Smart Nation programme it will be the only visible trophy to show around. You can sense the desperation.

There are some benefits as it opens up a wider clientele amongst the young who are not into carrying as much cash especially if you are into retailing bling, trinklets, fashion items in pushcarts.

Years ago there were restaurants that did not accept credit cards not realising that not many people carry enough cash to feed a family of four in a restaurant. Now credit card acceptance is ubiquitous.

To the banks, it will not be worth it below a certain % as this to them is NS and not a revenue generator. DBS as it is owned by the PM's wife will do her bidding. The rest we have to watch.

With the exception of tax collection, not quite sure what are the economic benefits of pursuing this so vigorously.

For it to work, they will have to do more than reduce the 1 to 2% fee. It will be necessary to give some kind of rebate for QR code payments to generate the demand to force acceptance.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
After 3 years of achieving nothing under the Smart Nation programme it will be the only visible trophy to show around. You can sense the desperation.

There are some benefits as it opens up a wider clientele amongst the young who are not into carrying as much cash especially if you are into retailing bling, trinklets, fashion items in pushcarts.

Years ago there were restaurants that did not accept credit cards not realising that not many people carry enough cash to feed a family of four in a restaurant. Now credit card acceptance is ubiquitous.

To the banks, it will not be worth it below a certain % as this to them is NS and not a revenue generator. DBS as it is owned by the PM's wife will do her bidding. The rest we have to watch.

Desperation is the right word. Notwithstanding having a high IQ cabinet and senior civil service, highest in the planet and best paid to boot, we are far behind developed countries.
Looking at the smug faces of our ministers you would think all was well. In a few short years we have lost our lustre. You will only have a future in SG if you are with the elite or a crony. We will decline into meaninglessness or become a client of a superpower. This does not bode well at all.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
30 years ago, I had a boss who did not even plan his holiday. He would book the newest city that SIA was flying to and he was a doing that for years. We were getting big and strong in nearly every sector and nothing stood still. Everything we touched turned to gold. I also remember that no one underestimated the value of having an MRT, the only challenge having it too early. GKS thought that we have not optimised to the level that it made sense and that 2m pop did not have critical mass. They even contemplated having staggered shifting work hours from 6.30 to 9am to optimise the use of MRT - lesser carriages and therefore lesser capital requirement as the peak loads would be over 3 hrs and not 2.

Now we have no idea which sector will provide us the best returns and where to invest.

Desperation is the right word. Notwithstanding having a high IQ cabinet and senior civil service, highest in the planet and best paid to boot, we are far behind developed countries.
Looking at the smug faces of our ministers you would think all was well. In a few short years we have lost our lustre. You will only have a future in SG if you are with the elite or a crony. We will decline into meaninglessness or become a client of a superpower. This does not bode well at all.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
With PayNow, Scan&Pay, I reckoned that DBS PayLah has gone down the drains...

Min-Liang Tan
about an hour ago

It’s awesome to see the Singapore government taking steps to listen and be open to ideas and collaborations that help Singapore progress. Two weeks ago, we made a commitment to the Prime Minister of Singapore—that we would deliver a proposal within 14 days to help advance the country to a true cashless society by developing a unified e-payment system within 18 months.
I’m pleased to share that we have since submitted the proposal to the PM, and have made the executive summary available for all to read as this impacts all of us. You can learn more about our suggested approach and read the extracted executive summary here: www.razerzone.com/sg-epayments
In essence, we are recommending a two-pronged approach; to (1) establish a Common E-Payment Framework ‘CEF’, and (2) spearhead support for an e-payment solution that can be widely adopted by Singaporeans and is compliant to the CEF.
Pertaining to the CEF, our recommendation is to have the Monetary Authority of Singapore oversee and promote this open framework. As a private sector participant, Razer remains available to provide feedback and advisory support.
In our proposal for e-payment solution RazerPay, we are putting our money where our mouth is. We will be committing SGD$10M and will be putting together a specialized team of Singaporeans to roll it out (see more below).
Additionally, I’d like to reiterate that the motivation behind RazerPay is one for public good first, and private enterprise second. In the event of a better proposition (compliant to CEF, successful in mass adoption etc.) that is able to advance Singapore to a cashless society within 18 months, we will cease focus on RazerPay to fully support the incumbent solution so that we won’t have a situation of multiple competing standards.
Our goal is not to have RazerPay succeed – but for Singapore to become a cashless society sooner rather than later.
In the past two weeks, it has been very heartening to see so many Singaporeans step up and extend their desire in helping us pioneer change. I’ve received many ideas and offers from a wide range of industries—and I am incredibly grateful. Many of you have offered your ideas, time as well as commitment to help roll this out.
With regards to this, and to foster a Singaporean-first perspective, we’ve posted the core team member openings here www.razerzone.com/sg-epayments. We will also be opening up more positions once the leads are filled as this is a massive endeavour.
We’re committed to the betterment of Singapore and are fully ready to do our part to make us the most advanced Smart Nation in the world. I am open to hearing any feedback from you – because this isn’t just a government initiative, this affects all of us as Singaporeans.
Let’s make it happen. For Singaporeans. By Singaporeans.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Kopi for keeping track of this.

I was quite surprised that his exe summary is all hot air. There is no clue what he is actually rolling out or proposing to roll out. All it states are 2 things. he wants a common platform which MAS already mentioned and his own RazerPay but no details how it looks like.

Its not even a proposal, more an aspiration.

Min-Liang Tan
about an hour ago

Additionally, I’d like to reiterate that the motivation behind RazerPay is one for public good first, and private enterprise second. In the event of a better proposition (compliant to CEF, successful in mass adoption etc.) that is able to advance Singapore to a cashless society within 18 months, we will cease focus on RazerPay to fully support the incumbent solution so that we won’t have a situation of multiple competing standards.
Our goal is not to have RazerPay succeed – but for Singapore to become a cashless society sooner rather than later.
In the past two weeks, it has been very heartening to see so many Singaporeans step up and extend their desire in helping us pioneer change. I’ve received many ideas and offers from a wide range of industries—and I am incredibly grateful. Many of you have offered your ideas, time as well as commitment to help roll this out.
With regards to this, and to foster a Singaporean-first perspective, we’ve posted the core team member openings here www.razerzone.com/sg-epayments. We will also be opening up more positions once the leads are filled as this is a massive endeavour.
We’re committed to the betterment of Singapore and are fully ready to do our part to make us the most advanced Smart Nation in the world. I am open to hearing any feedback from you – because this isn’t just a government initiative, this affects all of us as Singaporeans.
Let’s make it happen. For Singaporeans. By Singaporeans.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
In our proposal for e-payment solution RazerPay, we are putting our money where our mouth is.

So what's the exchange rate? One Sing dollar can be exchanged for how much RazerPay units? After exchanging for RazerPay units, the purchasing power of Sinkies will diminish, no?

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is Min-Liang Tan a President's scholar, Overseas Merit Scholar, Rhodes Scholar or Colombo Plan Scholar?

There are hundreds of such scholars in the civil service and stat boards and none of them has come up with a workable e-payment system.

Min-Liang Tan is so full of himself.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is Min-Liang Tan a President's scholar, Overseas Merit Scholar, Rhodes Scholar or Colombo Plan Scholar?

There are hundreds of such scholars in the civil service and stat boards and none of them has come up with a workable e-payment system.

law trained. up to Masters woh...:(

a paper Tech Billionaire woh...:(

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sad for TML. noticed he kept alot behind his counter. Good for him. :biggrin:

think he doesnt want to be played like a grand piano. :(

I was quite surprised that his exe summary is all hot air. There is no clue what he is actually rolling out or proposing to roll out. All it states are 2 things. he wants a common platform which MAS already mentioned and his own RazerPay but no details how it looks like.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

I am friends with his brother. TML is not stupid ok.

He is not going to reveal too much in the details until the govt signs some kind of contract for him to get to work.

he knows sg govt track record for stealing IP from firms submitting for tender and what not and then giving the IP to govt stat boards and GLCs.

There have been so many precedents cannot count already.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I aware that he is smart but I don't think he had an understanding of payment market and shot his mouth out. He has done this once before and had to retract it and it had to do with Ho Ching and Temasek who have a stake in his company.

As you can see it's not a proposal but a statement of starting his own payment system. Both DBS and OCBC have the complete solution and 7 other banks are already in it.

I think he was focused with his own company and travels to see the developments in his space rather than what is happening in Singapore. Which is understandable.

Btw DBS, OCBC solution and the use of QR codes are well used in many countries since 2014.

He is not going to reveal too much in the details until the govt signs some kind of contract for him to get to work.

he knows sg govt track record for stealing IP from firms submitting for tender and what not and then giving the IP to govt stat boards and GLCs.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wats so big deal about epayments? Ozland don't care...n got epayments will increase GDP by 10%? This is more wayang by pinky...

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wats so big deal about epayments? Ozland don't care...n got epayments will increase GDP by 10%? This is more wayang by pinky...

1st of all - dont think Govt is serious.

100% agreed. All you need as proof is just take a look at the current "App war"

started by Grab on the night of 3 Sept 2017. From a Hist high of around S$5.85

[March 2001] per share ComfortDelgro is today only s$2.17 [7 sept 17] closed.

Grab VS ComfortDelgro [ taxi ]

Grab makes move to undercut ComfortDelGro in Singapore, is Uber on their mind?
Grab offered steep discounts to pull taxi drivers away from ComfortDelGro and towards their allegiance

The Southeast Asian ride-hailing giant, Grab, has reportedly made a move to poach drivers away from the Singaporean taxi company ComfortDelGro by offering steep discounts to drivers who rent their daily vehicle via one of Grab’s partner companies.

According to Channel News Asia, who broke the news, Grab was offering a daily rental discount of up-to S$50 (US$36) to drivers who rented from the four local companies in its network. The companies are Premier, Prime, SMRT and TransCab (and are all of the other Taxi companies in Singapore besides Comfort).

Furthermore, if Comfort drivers switch to private-hire cars rented from Grab they will receive a S$1,688 (US$1,255) monthly discount upon completing 20 trips per week.

In February, Comfort DelGro introduced a ‘Flexi-rental’ scheme that reduced the daily rental fee from about S$100 (US$74) to S$85-90 (US$63-66) depending on the vehicle. A proposed discount of S$50 (US$36) would be a 70 per cent discount from the S$85 (US$63) cost.

Also Read: Uber in talks with Singapore cab operator ComfortDelGro to form “strategic alliance”

The discounts are meant to last for six-months, according to the article.

Uber and Grab battle for drivers

The timing of these discounts seems to be a move to box-in Uber, who is reportedly in talks to tie-up with Comfort to integrate taxis into its ride-hailing service in Singapore.

Furthermore, Uber also has its own promotion as part of its private-hire rental subsidiary Lion City Rental (not a taxi service, LCR is more like a car rental company). For people with a valid Taxi Driver Vocational License, if they sign up for a contract, the average daily rental cost would range from $42-46 depending on the length of the contract.

An Uber spokesperson told Channel News Asia the LCR deal is not a response to Grab’s discounts.

:*:

Razer keeps promise and submits unified e-payment proposal

Tech company Razer submitted its proposal for a unified e-payment system here yesterday - within the two-week deadline it promised - saying that its aim was to make Singapore a cashless society within 18 months.

Central to its proposal is a common e-payment framework overseen by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS). This, it said, is to be complemented by an existing or new e-payment solution - potentially its own proposed system - that fits the framework.

Its e-payment solution - dubbed RazerPay - is envisioned as a cloud-based e-wallet which can be accessed through a variety of ways, such as a mobile app, a stored-value card or a chip.

The proposal came about after a brief Twitter exchange between Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Razer chief executive Tan Min- Liang last month, when PM Lee took up Mr Tan's offer to develop a unified e-payment system.

"Make me a proposal and I will study it seriously," PM Lee tweeted Mr Tan. Mr Tan promised to deliver the proposal within two weeks, and has done so.

Razer sent the 36-page proposal to the Prime Minister's Office, MAS and the Smart Nation and Digital Government Office yesterday, making publicly available a nine-page executive summary.

It proposes the setting up of a framework overseen by MAS, given that the authority is in the best position to deal with multiple private sector players. The framework should be open and "interoperable" to unify different payment schemes here. An e-payment solution must then be rolled out to fit this framework.

Razer said it will commit $10 million in seed funding to create the e-payment system, and is aiming for one million sign-ups in 18 months from Oct 1.

It also announced six new job positions to work on RazerPay.

But if a different unified e-payment system gains mass adoption, it said it will drop its focus on RazerPay and support that instead. Razer is best known for its line of gaming accessories and recorded revenues of US$392 million (S$528 million) last year.

Analysts said that while Razer's proposal is strategically sound, it does not flag anything unknown to industry players. Most noted that getting people to use RazerPay might not be easy for the firm. "Simultaneous and quick adoption by customers and merchants might be challenging," said Dr Jan Ondrus, associate professor of Information Systems at Essec Business School.

Singapore University of Social Sciences economist Walter Theseira said that while Razer has accomplished much in the area of consumer electronics, it has no experience in large-scale payment transactions and operations. "Therefore, while their proposal is reasonable, I am not sure that they have the expertise to push it forward," he said.

Mr Tan fully accepts the challenge ahead set out for the company. "When we set out to disrupt the gaming industry, no one believed we could pull it off either," he said. "We are not in the business of talking but doing, so let's see if Singapore is a cashless society in 18 months - whether RazerPay is successful or otherwise."

:*:

Razer CEO submits ‘two-pronged’ e-payment system proposal to PM Lee

Yahoo News SingaporeSeptember 7, 2017

4bf7e9547473f88115c463cc62d662eb

Tan Min-Liang, founder, chief executive officer and creative director of Razer, attends the Day 2 of the RISE Conference 2017 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre on 12 July 2017, in Hong Kong, Hong Kong. (Photo: Getty)

Two weeks after Tan Min-Liang, CEO of gaming tech firm Razer, tweeted to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong that he can roll out a nationwide e-payment system within 18 months, Tan unveiled his two-pronged proposal towards the goal on Thursday (8 September).

In response to Tan’s tweet on 22 August, Lee thanked him a day later and said, “Make me a proposal, and I will study it seriously.”

The proposed system, RazerPay, calls for the establishment of a Common E-Payment Framework (CEF), and support for a CEF-compliant e-payment solution that can be widely adopted by Singaporeans, Tan announced in a post on his Facebook page.

Tan suggests the Monetary Authority of Singapore to oversee and promote the open framework while Razer will be available to provide feedback and advisory support.

To push for RazerPay, Tan said the company is “putting our money where our mouth is”.

“We will be committing S$10 million and will be putting together a specialised team of Singaporeans to roll it out,” Tan added. Razer is looking to employ Singaporeans in positions including engineers, heads of its business unit, engineering, payment services, and others.

Tan stressed that the motivation behind RazerPay is for the “public good first, and private enterprise second”. If there were a better solution that can be CEF-compliant and lead to Singapore becoming a cashless society within 18 months, Razer will cease its focus on RazerPay. The company will support the “incumbent solution” to avoid a situation of multiple competing standards.

“Our goal is not to have RazerPay succeed – but for Singapore to become a cashless society sooner rather than later,” Tan said.

Tan revealed that he has been overwhelmed by the support and ideas to create a cashless society from Singaporeans. Razer will do its part to make Singapore the most advanced Smart Nation in the world, he said.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/razer-ceo...payment-system-proposal-pm-lee-112133198.html

creampie

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just shows that the scholar system doesnt produce solutions.

why do they always turn to the private sector for fresh ideas?

can study well and get first class hons doesnt mean they make effective administrators. most of them spend their time sucking up to immediate superiors and do not have the technical skills necessary to bring sinkapoot into the digital age. we are so far behind china in this area and our relevance in this region is slowly fading

Tan Min Liang is a successful entrepreneur who can probably make this e-payment system happen with the right support

this is probably the true reason why the proposal is not detailed.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No doubt he is successful but he had the opportunity to spell out his proposal for all of Singapore to see. Nothing stops him from doing it. Instead he insults our intelligence by putting this exec summary of his proposal. Nothing in there shows a proposal, a pathway or anything of that sort.

I don't expect him to know everything in the tech world but he too like the PAP must think we can't tell a difference between a proposal and hot air. The $10m is his money, no one would have an idea how he uses it. If he funded a germination lab to follow thru that might be taken more favourably.

I did expect much more from him.

Tan Min Liang is a successful entrepreneur who can probably make this e-payment system happen with the right support

this is probably the true reason why the proposal is not detailed.