• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat QR payment codes is a major revelation for our "Suaku" cabinet

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
QR code is stupid like fuck. U need to download the scanning app first. Then when it comes to payment u need to open up the app. Then click scan. Move your phone camera to that QR code and scan. Then click pay.

Fucking cheebye retarded. U think old people who are illiterate can even use a smartphone? The best way is to utilize EZlink card as payment.

The Ezlink card and other NFC payments are fast and convenient except for the big security flaw. In other countries there are high tech thieves who walk around with a hidden NFC receivers zapping data away from victims' payment cards. And money is not the biggest concern.. the real danger is identity theft. That is why NFC is getting phased out. Barcode and biometrics will be the way of the future

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkapore is truly behind in this game. I was involved in another asean country rolling out a qr code based payment solution and it was humbling. Their government took a huge step forward launching a common platform yet sinkapore seems conceited with our buckshot approach dabbling with MasterPass, ezlink, paywave, dash, Apple pay, pay lah etc etc

And I cringe every time fucking channel news Asia does a "special" program on us being the "Asian fintech capital" and lumber one e-nation. Then I remember CNA's viewer audience is India .. where houses are still made with straw and cowdung. Our "e" in e-nstion obviously stands for "ego".

In China e-payment is already ubiquitous. Waiters and taxi drivers look at you like you're from the countryside if you still opt for 现金付款. That's how far behind in the game we are.

As NgiamTong Dow warned " we have been buying our own propaganda".

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
we don't need cashless society because:

1. Singapore cash are real and not fake.
In China, most of the paper currency are fake and vendors do not want to receive fake currency and that is why they prefer cashless.

2. Singapore is safe and low crime rate (PAP say one). Therefore we feel safe to keep our paper currency at home and in our wallet.
China is dangerous and high crime rate. Armed robbery at ATM machine to kill people who withdraw currency.

3. China cashless merchant fee is cheap.
In Singapore, ATM and AXS charge very high merchant fee.
You go to challengers to buy IT products and they give you discount if you pay cash.

Enough is enough.
don't be scammed by PAP.

Talk is cheap.

The stupid PAP has finally figured out that they can enforce closer surveillance on its citizens especially oppo members with a cashless society. If they mandated a standard protocol throughout singapore, they will know the spending habits of everyone, and they can track what oppo leaders and members buy, where they frequent (and should that place be bugged), who lends them money, etc. For sure they would love to see who is supporting Roy secretly by sending him money. A cashless system might enable them to see this and track these enemies of the state.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The stupid PAP has finally figured out that they can enforce closer surveillance on its citizens especially oppo members with a cashless society. If they mandated a standard protocol throughout singapore, they will know the spending habits of everyone, and they can track what oppo leaders and members buy, where they frequent (and should that place be bugged), who lends them money, etc. For sure they would love to see who is supporting Roy secretly by sending him money. A cashless system might enable them to see this and track these enemies of the state.

Going cashless is a privacy risk but for millions of other above-the-board daily transactions there's no concern. Going on e-payment doesn't mean banning cash altogether. It just saves transactional time for buyers and sellers especially during busy times

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Going cashless is a privacy risk but for millions of other above-the-board daily transactions there's no concern. Going on e-payment doesn't mean banning cash altogether. It just saves transactional time for buyers and sellers especially during busy times

Do you think PAP is so kind to save you transactional time?
what is the real motives for PAP to go cashless?

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's not just the PM, I personally know of many locals who think that stuff like cashless, Singpass, app services, LTE/NGNBN are examples of how high tech Singapore is. One of my idiot colleagues actually asked a PRC visitor if they have 4G over there...

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not just the PM, I personally know of many locals who think that stuff like cashless, Singpass, app services, LTE/NGNBN are examples of how high tech Singapore is. One of my idiot colleagues actually asked a PRC visitor if they have 4G over there...

Sinkies are truly frogs in a well, staring and admiring the tiny patch of blue sky up there all day.

When I was in a 2nd tier city in Shandong 15 years ago, they already had their version of our TransitLink card. Only that it does everything else as well – ATM card, transponder for entrance into gated residential compound, debit card in company canteens, company security pass. Barely 10 years later, almost the entire nation went cashless into mobile payment.

And we're still bragging about our EZ-Link card.

MyMother

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have too many options fighting for the small pie.

Nets, enets, nets flashpay
Debit cards
Credit cards (amex, visa, master, union, jcb, diner)
Paylah, paynow?

What's the difference with all the duplicates?

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We have too many options fighting for the small pie.

Nets, enets, nets flashpay
Debit cards
Credit cards (amex, visa, master, union, jcb, diner)
Paylah, paynow?

What's the difference with all the duplicates?

These are all monsters created by PAP.
Same as PAP created so many opposition parties

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Sinkies are truly frogs in a well, staring and admiring the tiny patch of blue sky up there all day.

When I was in a 2nd tier city in Shandong 15 years ago, they already had their version of our TransitLink card. Only that it does everything else as well – ATM card, transponder for entrance into gated residential compound, debit card in company canteens, company security pass. Barely 10 years later, almost the entire nation went cashless into mobile payment.

And we're still bragging about our EZ-Link card.

What? U was in Zibo? Only 2 first tier cities in Shandong. Jinan and Tsingtao, everything else is second tier. LOL

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Do you think PAP is so kind to save you transactional time?
what is the real motives for PAP to go cashless?

One of the big motives is that they can use cashless to track the oppo leeders and their supporters. If oppo members meet every week at one kopitiam to talk strategy, they will know when the same people they are tracking use their card to pay at the same place and time every week. Maybe they bug the place, maybe they put operatives in there. Also, if lets say u support an oppo like Roy and u want to send him some money, you can do that via cashless but then it will be tracked and the PAP will know who is financially supporting him.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yantai. Back then only Qingdao was truly Tier 1.
I think Yantai is considered 3rd tier. But Yantai actually has a very strong industrial tradition. The Germans built many factories and Yantai eventually became famous as a watch and clock making city. I was also surprised to learn that the 中国苹果水 soft drink we used to have as kids originated from there

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think Yantai is considered 3rd tier. But Yantai actually has a very strong industrial tradition. The Germans built many factories and Yantai eventually became famous as a watch and clock making city. I was also surprised to learn that the 中国苹果水 soft drink we used to have as kids originated from there

It is actually the 2nd largest industrial city after Qingdao in Shandong today.

You're right, very strong industrial tradition. Even back in the '90s it was the largest fishing seaport in Shandong, and went into shipbuilding specializing in special vessels and offshore equipment (#3 in the world for offshore drilling platforms). Raffles Yantai Shipyard (now CIMC Raffles) went in there in the mid-90s and is now the biggest player there. Also known for their apples which many consider better than Fuji.

Only downside is the cold, windy winters with frequent snowstorms bringing in lake-effect snow from the Bohai Sea. Otherwise very liveable city.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Yeah, I think Yantai is 3rd tier too. Zibo is bigger then Yantai, and have a very nice large ghost town. Thousands of empty half completed condos.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
It is actually the 2nd largest industrial city after Qingdao in Shandong today.

You're right, very strong industrial tradition. Even back in the '90s it was the largest fishing seaport in Shandong, and went into shipbuilding specializing in special vessels and offshore equipment (#3 in the world for offshore drilling platforms). Raffles Yantai Shipyard (now CIMC Raffles) went in there in the mid-90s and is now the biggest player there. Also known for their apples which many consider better than Fuji.

Only downside is the cold, windy winters with frequent snowstorms bringing in lake-effect snow from the Bohai Sea. Otherwise very liveable city.

I think Qingdao is much more liveable then Yantai. Many of my Shandong friends (those with money), buy a second property in Qingdao, almost like a holiday home for them. Usually like a condo, so they can go to the seaside and what not. SOmetimes on the weekend, they will travel to Qingdao to stay at their place there. Its like sinkies owning a condo in malacca. I don't know any who buy in Yantai. Actually, I like Shandong. the girls are very friendly and do not look at you with suspicions. The food is quite good too, almost like Taiwan cuisine. Other parts of china, I really cannot eat it, its too spicy or too salty or some other stuff like that. But Shandong food is ok. Shandong cities by the coast are nice to visit and live in. Interior ok, but in summer time, its flat hot and dusty.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think Qingdao is much more liveable then Yantai. Many of my Shandong friends (those with money), buy a second property in Qingdao, almost like a holiday home for them. Usually like a condo, so they can go to the seaside and what not. SOmetimes on the weekend, they will travel to Qingdao to stay at their place there. Its like sinkies owning a condo in malacca. I don't know any who buy in Yantai. Actually, I like Shandong. the girls are very friendly and do not look at you with suspicions. The food is quite good too, almost like Taiwan cuisine. Other parts of china, I really cannot eat it, its too spicy or too salty or some other stuff like that. But Shandong food is ok. Shandong cities by the coast are nice to visit and live in. Interior ok, but in summer time, its flat hot and dusty.

Agree Qingdao more liveable, albeit also more expensive. Korean plastic surgery clinics are mushrooming everywhere. Yantai has yet to shake off its industrial seaport image, despite its huge population of 6.5 mil. Place to work in, rather than to enjoy life. 20 years ago, if you wanted S'porean food, you'd have to go all the way to the Equatorial Hotel in Qingdao to taste it.

Shandong cuisine is supposed to be representative of North Chinese cuisine, probably because of its abundant farm produce and seafood. No problem adapting for most S'poreans, though I still prefer Cantonese food (without the 'exotic' animals).

People there are generally warm and friendly and direct ... not scheming and cut-throat like those in Shanghai or Nanjing. Interestingly, the KTV hostesses and prostitutes in Shandong all hail from the north-east.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now people are talking about augmented reality, VR and artificial intelligence. These cheebye clowns still talking about old tech such as QR codes.