• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Argumentative & too emotional - are Indians tough to work with? (Indian writer)

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...s-tough-to-work-with/articleshow/45638709.cms

Argumentative & too emotional - are Indians tough to work with?
By DIBYENDU GANGULY, Lijee Philip
Corporate Dossier asked expatriate CEOs to describe the most incorrigible traits of Indian work
culture. The list we've compiled might upset you, but feel free to argue — which you will anyway:

We're always late
Seasoned expats have given up complaining about this quirk, except for a few German and
Japanese CEOs, who still feel the pain every time they see an Indian colleague sauntering into
a meeting 15 minutes late.
Makoto Kitai, MD, Mitsubishi Electric India, remembers fondly his days in Japan, when everyone
would actually arrive five minutes early. "In India, being late by 15 minutes for a meeting is not
considered to be late," he sighs. "Schedules go haywire in India but people don't complain."
If only our lack of punctuality was confined only to meetings! "Whether it a dinner or a larger
function, I now assume that guests will arrive at least one hour late," says Philipp von Sahr,
President of BMW Group India.

We're very argumentative

Indians, as Nobel laureate Amartya Sen tells us, are argumentative by nature and given the opportunity, we will debate and discuss till the cows
at home. Jean-Christophe Lettelier got a taste of this as soon as he took charge at L'Oreal India last year. The meetings he conducted would go
on interminably with everyone going in circles.
"Maybe it's because of an inductive approach to understanding things, but Indians make things more complex than they really are," he says. "I
value the depth of thinking, but sometimes I have to just close the topic. Else there is complete chaos."
Mitsubishi's Makoto Kitai is another expat CEO who has had a hard time conducting meetings. "Japanese are very good listeners. We as a
culture never speak out of turn which ensures that our suggestion would be asked every time. My Indian colleagues, on the other hand, are very
ardent speakers and are always impatient when it comes to an opportunity to articulate their views," he says. We also have a propensity to get
into time consuming discussions just about anywhere.
As Tetsuya Takano, MD of Ricoh India points out: "In India it's easy to form a discussion group. You only have to ask someone something and
suddenly five people are around you and you can discuss anything. The preferable subject is politics."

We're confusingly diverse

After a year at the Hyatt Goa, Glen Peat thought he had Indian work culture figured out — then he was transferred to Mumbai. Now the chief of
the Hyatt Ludhiana, the New Zealander says, "Punjabis are so very different from South Indians and the people of Delhi are so different from the
people in Mumbai.
At first, I thought everyone in India speaks Hindi. It takes a lot of adjusting for an expat used to a uniform national culture." Expat CEOs invariably
see India's diversity as one of its strengths, but truth be told, it takes getting used to. "The diversity poses quite a challenge in terms of unanimity
of operations, tweaking the offerings to different needs," says Volvo Auto India MD Tomas Ernberg.
Besides managing your own work force, the diversity factor also plays an important role in market success. "It's both a challenge and an
opportunity, as there is no one way of doing business or dealing with people. Something that works in Mumbai may not work in Chennai or Kochi.
So, India allows the expatriate to use his creative side," says Ricoh India's Takano.

It takes 3 of us to fix a light bulb
the first time are usually struck by how establishments there manage with so few people. It's the other way round for expats in India. Dmitry
Shukov, CEO of MTS India was amazed to see eight people pushing the boarding ladder at the airport the first time he arrived in Delhi.
"In Russia there is just one person doing that job. In sec tors like retail, there is always excess staff in India," he says. It's also very common in
the hospitality industry, where guests are pampered with a level of service unheard of in the West. But splitting one person's job among three not
only reduces wages, but also the challenge. Or, as Rex Nijhof, the Dutch chief of the Renaissance Mumbai Hotel puts it: "If you have something
heavy and only two people available to move it, you have to find a way to build wheels on it. In India, you just get six more people."

We're too emotional
Indians are highly engaged with their work, which makes us more emotional about it. This can be disconcerting for expats used to a less engaged
workforce, going about with stoic expressions.
"People here wear their heart on their sleeve, which is something I love," says Ben Salmon, a former diplomat with the Australian High
commission, who is now CE0 and Co-founder of Bangalore's Assetz Property Group. "The flip side of it is that you can't criticise someone's work
without visibly upsetting them. If there's bad news, it has to be carefully packaged."
This makes simple performance appraisals a herculean task in Indian workplaces. Bosses are wary about giving negative feedback, however
constructive it may be, since the receiver is quite likely to fly into a rage or burst into tears. "During performance reviews, Indian managers tend to
give only positive feedback and leave the criticism unsaid," says L'Oreal's Jean-Christophe Lettelier.

We don't trust easily
''There seems to be a trust deficit in Indian business and society in general which makes business par ties wary of each other until a relationship
develops," says John Kilmartin, Director of IDA Ireland, the Irish government 's foreign investment agency.
The lack of trust extends to international brands and often translates into behaviour that expat CEOs find surprising. "For some reason,
customers in India tend to escalate issues very quickly. May be this is due to lack of trust? Regardless of why this happens, we need to convince
customers that we will always be fair and do the right thing for them," says Nigel Harris, president and managing director, Ford India.
But once the trust is earned, it tends to be strong. "The culture in India is such that if you earn a person's trust, you'll be treated like family. People
in India are extremely cautious....but once on-board, their loyalty's commendable," says Michael Mayer, Director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
enlightening article that confirms some of my observations….and a good example of free speech.

imagine a similar article written about dumbass corporate singos…..every insecure moron in this country would be on your ass on Facebook…..
lets not buy this paper anymore till the journalist is fired…minister or two come out to make political capital…this article is divisive
and hurts singapore's investment image…..yada yada yada.

lol.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are late for everything and the best part is that they will not acknowledge anything and when asked will look surprised. I am referring to those from India and not the local guys who are usually on the ball compared to others.

I can attest to the lateness part. It is a cultural thing for an Indian to be late for a wedding.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Deliberately left out the defining aspect of Indians.

375x500.218.jpg

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
My experience so far
1. Always late for submission.
2. Lack initiative.
3. Always ready to push the blame or give excuses.
4. Like to behave as if they are above you.
5. Promises and assurances that are seldom fulfilled.

As for local 'indian' they also inherit a partial of the traits though not as bad.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PM Lee speaks out against playing race card in Bukit Batok by-election.......it is not unheard of for racial sentiments to emerge and be exploited during election campaigns. He recalled how the race issue came up during the campaigning period for the 1984 General Election, where PAP candidate Chandra Das was up against SDP’s Mr Ling How Doong in the Chong Boon Single-Member Constituency (SMC). “They didn’t say vote for (Mr Ling), they didn’t say the other chap was no good. They just asked, ‘Has that Indian man come yet?’ Everybody knew what it meant, there was a special UHF signal there, so you say one thing, what you mean is another thing,” he added
http://www.todayonline.com/singapor...gainst-playing-race-card-bukit-batok-election

A person writing the same article here will probably be called a racist and have a police report filed against him-as even asking " has that Indian man come yet" is seen as exploiting racial sentiments and being a race issue.

So when you have an election reserved only for Malays-what issue is that? Is it playing the race card ?

Are these traits why the PAP allowed so many Indians to work and settle down here?

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the defining traits, of which only a couple are mentioned in the article, are:

1. 见高就拜,见低就踩 (grovel to those above you, trample on those beneath you - a relic of the caste system & British Raj)
2. Hogging the limelight by excessive verbalization
3. Argumentative
4. Taking the credit from others, pushing the blame to others
5. Perhaps the most unsavoury: back-stabbing - the double-headed snake analogy

Of course, there are Indians who defy these stereotypes, JBJ being an example.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Indians and chinks are the scums of the earth. If we could rid the world of them it would be a far better place for the rest of us Burmese included.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
All that is true. But it works for them in their country so who cares ? The problem is when they come here en masse, dominate offices and change the working culture to something incompatible with this country. I mean a change not for the better. Singapore has come down in the world because of this. Strange the PAP does not understand it. Better to have a small high quality population (think Finland, Israel etc) rather than a high population with low quality. They have really screwed the country, from GCT onwards.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had a customer working at Changi Business Park, he commented he had problem finding chinese food at the food court at Changi Business Park.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just look at Sham. First class honours in Law, came from a rich family of chettiars who are money lenders and merchants who own land and properties. Yet notice his conduct from day 1 and even in the last 2 months. He even misled old Man's 2 children. Thats not only balls but audacity to keep a lie for the long.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just look at Sham. First class honours in Law, came from a rich family of chettiars who are money lenders and merchants who own land and properties. Yet notice his conduct from day 1 and even in the last 2 months. He even misled old Man's 2 children. Thats not only balls but audacity to keep a lie for the long.

Tat is why an Indian is a double headed snake

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have been playing a mobile strategy game for the past 3 years where players have to join a clan. In my short time there I have noticed the worst team members are those India ah nehs who like to talk a lot but never attack on team missions. They have no shame when do badly but will be the first to point out other players' mistakes.

On one occasion there was a high level indian ah neh who joined my fledging clan. He was pretty senior and therefore was already levelled up. Within 2 weeks he demanded to be promoted to a co leader rank. We needed good players so we relented. Then one fine day he suddenly went postal and sacked everybody from the clan and quit. Not before he left some profanity in our chat board. Motherfucker practically destroyed our clan without any rhyme or reason.

All I can say is an nehs can't work or play in a team.

Our clan is called Singapore and many foreigners join and play without giving trouble ... Only ccb ah nehs..

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Chinese go adopted ah neh buddha religion and get the full package include late for everything.

I can see why Chinese hav the same traits ah neh behaviors.

China is right to abolish Buddhism if not China will not be power again today.

Buddisim kill Chinese.

In all fairness, that's the same as the Chinese.