• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Kee Chiu gives Bloomberg interview, calls Trump "aberration", sounds like an Idiot

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
[h=1]Watch If Trump Is ‘Aberration’ for U.S., Says Singapore's Chan[/h] By Melissa Cheok
, John Fraher
, and Stephanie Phang
August 20, 2017, 2:00 PM PDT

• Minister in Prime Minister’s Office Chan speaks in interview
  • Chan Chun Sing is seen as a potential future prime minister

Sitting at the southern end of the strategic Malacca Strait, Singapore is Southeast Asia’s wealthiest state, a financial center where some of the world’s biggest banks do business. But the small nation of 278 square miles (720 square kilometers) has been snared in a tussle for influence between the U.S. and China.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has said his country should not have to choose between the big powers. Maintaining that balance has not been easy.
    Singapore has found itself in China’s cross-hairs for allowing the U.S. military to operate from the island-state. Equally, the election of Donald Trump as president has cast doubt on the future of the U.S. commitment to the region. Trump has already abandoned a 12-nation Pacific trade pact that Singapore had strongly advocated.
    Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office Chan Chun Sing is part of Lee’s “nucleus” of a new team of Singaporean leaders. Promoted to ministerial roles after entering parliament in 2011, Chan is also Secretary-General of the National Trades Union Congress and Deputy Chairman of the People’s Association.
    With a prior career in the military, Chan, who turns 48 this year, has been tipped as a potential future leader, and Lee has signaled he doesn’t plan to govern past the age of 70 (he is now 65). In an interview with Bloomberg News, Chan discussed Trump, China and domestic politics.

[h=3]Has U.S. policy on Asia changed under Trump?[/h]Many people speculate about what Trump will do both on the security and economic front. Those are immediate issues. So, while we watch those issues carefully, I think the other thing we have to watch very carefully is dynamics. What kind of perspective the American public is taking with respect to their political system and in the longer term, what kind of leadership it is likely to throw forth. That will have serious implications on the world. So, some people say that Trump is an aberration but is Trump an aberration or is he a reflection of a larger set of forces within the U.S.?
    [h=3]Is the U.S. likely to stay in Asia?[/h]I don’t think it’s a binary option where the U.S. is either here or the U.S. is not here. The issue is really how focused the U.S. will be in providing that security umbrella within the Asia Pacific. Having said that, with a rising, more confident China, China would also want its own geopolitical space. But it’s not a zero-sum game.
    I think both the U.S. and the Chinese share a common interest, which is a stable Asia Pacific.
    [h=3]Are ties better again with China?[/h] I think it is a broad relationship and it’s deep. There will be differences once in a while. To say that you never have differences is probably unlikely and unreal.
    Read about tensions between Singapore and China here
    I am confident that the relationship will continue to grow but of course, as a small country, we must be keenly aware of what China’s development priorities are and see where we can play a role.
    [h=3]Is it possible Singapore has to choose sides?[/h]

We never start our foreign policy with the thought of whose side we should be on. That’s the wrong way to look at the issue. What we believe to be the correct way is to first consider what Singapore’s interests are. Secondly, what a foreign player’s interests are and finally, where we can work with them on a win-win relationship where we can value-add. It doesn’t mean that just because Singapore is small that we can’t value add.
    As a small country, you have to constantly balance between your principled approach and your pragmatic approach. You can’t be all principles and no pragmatism because you’ll be in the dustbin of history quite fast unless you navigate the waves of change.

[h=3]Was it a calculated risk to revoke Huang Jing’s residency?[/h]I don’t think it’s the first time we’ve done something like that and we did not name any country. We do not like nor do we allow foreign interference in domestic politics. I think every sovereign country would want to preserve their own right to self determination.
    Read about the Huang Jing case here
    We try to maintain the big picture, we try to make sure that the bigger relationship is not disrupted and held hostage by a small episode.
    [h=3]Can the People’s Action Party stay relevant?[/h]Any Singaporean leader and the whole leadership team must have the ability to connect with Singaporeans and win confidence. That takes time. In today’s world, the demand for connection is much more intense. I always have this joke that if you’re a military commander, you can go left or you can go right but you make sure everybody goes with you.

[h=3]Is it time to move on from Lee family influence?[/h]At every turn of our history, our number one challenge has been to find a set of leaders that have the capability and commitment to run a country. I don’t think Singaporeans will accept a leader just based off a certain surname. We do not run a dynastic system here. It’s an open, transparent system and Singaporeans will vote for the leader that they think best. It is not about the family.

[h=3]Could that next leader be you?[/h]I think it’s too premature to say, not because it is impolite but because the most important question to ask at that point in time is what the kind of leader required for that moment is.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Re: Kee Chiu gives Bloomberg interview, calls Trump "aberration", sounds like an Idio

Kee chiu is such a lying piece of shit. Open transparent system? LOL. hahahhahah

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Re: Kee Chiu gives Bloomberg interview, calls Trump "aberration", sounds like an Idio

Kee chiu is such a lying piece of shit. Open transparent system? LOL. hahahhahah

Kee Chiu is gonna be next Pee Am. He giving so many interviews like PM already.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kee Chiu needs to shut the fuck up. He looks like a typical asshole who has zero social skills but graduated from a good school, and that was supposed to cover up his shortfall.

I worry if the next Prime Minister is this clown.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I doubt kee chui will be pm...he too incompetent...but for the Pappies...blind loyalty more important than competency...at least lau Goh did have some achievement in office...but this guy is just a clown...

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal

He looks and sounds like a weakling. Good riddance!

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal

Looks like Kishore is being ignored…..in fact deliberately going the opposite route…..spiting the nose?

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal

Looks like Kishore is being ignored…..in fact deliberately going the opposite route…..spiting the nose?

Problem is this time we have no Lee Khoon Choy to go to Beijing to beg forgiveness....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

He said that its first time someone has been deported, banned etc. We have been doing this all our lives albeit most of the time it is done quietly. We have revoked PR, deported and banned academics and business executives.

The only reason that the Prof case was made public even before notifying the subject is to monitor the comms and the reaction from the various parties. Notice the deafening silence from the US which suggest that they are have been briefed and they too are monitoring from their side as well.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I doubt that he make PM as the NTUC role is a dead-end. May be is attempting to resurrect his career with the new leadership. Anyway I thought he interviewed well which did surprise me.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I doubt that he make PM as the NTUC role is a dead-end. May be is attempting to resurrect his career with the new leadership. Anyway I thought he interviewed well which did surprise me.

I think all the answers and questions are pre-prepared. Pap never allows unscripted stuff..

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chan Chun Sing might not be as eloquent as some of his colleagues, but the big picture is - Does it really matter if he or someone else takes over the leadership mantle? Would the governance and strategy be any different if Ong Ye Kung or Heng Swee Kiat takes over? I doubt so. PAP is far more monolithic AND apathetic then even the Chinese Communist Party, GCT might have been blowing air from the sidelines but this observations of the current state of PAP are accurate.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Trump should impose sanctions on him.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Chan Chun Sing might not be as eloquent as some of his colleagues, but the big picture is - Does it really matter if he or someone else takes over the leadership mantle? Would the governance and strategy be any different if Ong Ye Kung or Heng Swee Kiat takes over? I doubt so. PAP is far more monolithic AND apathetic then even the Chinese Communist Party, GCT might have been blowing air from the sidelines but this observations of the current state of PAP are accurate.

it does matter because at a time of crisis in singapore's history, an eloquent man with great oratorical skill united the country and gave it his vision and we prospered, that man being the late dictator Lee Con YOu. Be very sure that we are in a state of crisis now, and we do need some one with great eloquence to translate his vision to the people and see it thru.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Imagine if the same set of questions (except for the last 2) were to be asked of the late Lee Con You. u will get a very different set of answers, you would get answers with some real insight and real forethought. that was what made people around the world respect Old fart. Kee Chiu's answers are like school boy A level GP paper answers.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal

Has U.S. policy on Asia changed under Trump?

Many people speculate about what Trump will do both on the security and economic front. Those are immediate issues. So, while we watch those issues carefully, I think the other thing we have to watch very carefully is dynamics. What kind of perspective the American public is taking with respect to their political system and in the longer term, what kind of leadership it is likely to throw forth. That will have serious implications on the world. So, some people say that Trump is an aberration but is Trump an aberration or is he a reflection of a larger set of forces within the U.S.?

This cheebye talked like he is reciting from some textbook indeed.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Imagine if the same set of questions (except for the last 2) were to be asked of the late Lee Con You. u will get a very different set of answers, you would get answers with some real insight and real forethought. that was what made people around the world respect Old fart. Kee Chiu's answers are like school boy A level GP paper answers.

come lah A-level students answer better

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal

you're too charitable…the first time i set eyes on this bloke a flash went off saying RETARD ALERT. This guy couldn't find his way out of a paper bag…would love to see stephen sackur tear him a new one on hardtalk.