• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious What's for dinner tonight?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On Saturday and Monday, I usually bbq salmon fillet.
I put fresh dill and something called "Dave's No Salt Steak Rub" (it is about $8 for 150 gm jar in Toronto).
I steamed butternut squash, broccoli and cauliflower.
For Friday, I may bbq Angus striploin steak (or boneless centre cut pork loin), boiled potato, steamed green beans.

I've cut out the bottled sauces e.g. HP sauce because it contains sugars. The only sauce I use now is Worcesthire sauce. I like potatoes but it makes me drowsy because of my type II diabetes:(

I like pickles & used to include it in my sandwiches but stopped because of the additives that's included.

The veggies I use are usually organic & not cheap. That is why I eat them raw, to preserve whatever nutrients they contain.

In Spore I find it easy to keep my bland diet but it is harder when I travel to places like Thailand because there is so much yummy choices :smile:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Last Friday evening visited Singapore from Jakarta, arrived home very touched with a great home cooked dinner by my very old mama. :o

OEjmBXo.jpg

Lor ark
CkSweLh.jpg

Red groupa steamed
o4O7hiH.jpg

Spinach with eggs and ikan bilis
IS9DM65.jpg

Lala with brandy
8h4y84Z.jpg

Watercrest leaves soup
b1r9Zc4.jpg

Got to learn how to do this before the art is lost
W8ttZVw.jpg

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The crackling reminds me of the time I introduced an American to Chinese food and in particular to crispy duck.

If you happened to visit Beijing, try this stall.

Li Qun Roast Duck Restaurant
11 Beixiangfeng Hutong, Dongcheng Qu, China

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bro,
Your mum uses galangal for the lor ark?

Seriously I have no idea so I called.

Yes blue ginger or galangal is most important. With oil in hot wok sear the galangal and garlic and then add black soya sauce, also good to put in 2 slices of 当归 make it more pang.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
No thanks to those HDB designers who purposely made kitchens small... KNN...

Remember in old kampong our home kitchen is always busy with sisters and friends and we learn a lot there.

hehehehe my new kitchen gonna be big, will post when its ready in a month.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I take this thread to be home makan so I post my home makan here I hope zhihau don't mind.

Just finished cooking my breakfast about to start makan so I post this first - tau-gua-buay (teochew may call it giam muay) and Thai omelette

The meal
8q0ncPZ.jpg

Thais love their omelette fluffy and crispy at the side - to achieve this require lots of oil and stronger fire
jx8waq8.jpg

See
S5AXDri.jpg

the porridge - deep fry the tau-gua, marinate the minced pork. Deep fry some shallots first, removed shallots and while wok or pot is still very hot with oil pour water into it this will make the soup "pang" of shallots, add marinated minced pork and boil for 10-15 mins this will be the stock for the boiled rice. Ad fried tau-gua and cooked rice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
BdcuyBQ.jpg

the egg
ndyQoku.jpg

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Sedap!!! Keep those pictures coming!

To keep my omelette fluffy, I use 2 parts egg and 1 part water ratio, making sure you beat it well. Works like magic.