• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious What's for dinner tonight?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
My dinner consists of some muah chee, some sio bak rice...

Anyone with a good recipe for mostest crispy sio bak? I use vinegar to coat the skin before roasting it... Anyone?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
poh piah with jicama, carrot, bean sprouts, tofu, cucumber, cilantro, peanuts, chili. all homegrown except poh piah skin, tofu and peanuts.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Funny you asked. Was invited today to an ex-classmates house for dinner but tried to siam as I know he is a vegan and a health food nut but in the end went because of friendship. What he did was amazing. He served us chapatis and dhal curry and it was amazing. Firstly he being Chinese was enough to screw it up but it was not to be. We had an abang in our gang so I know he has to cater to it. Everyone agreed that it was best curry that we had tasted. He learnt how to make the chapati and it was not hard after we watched him make and cook it.

He told us that many tried to follow western health food recipes which are not very tasty and blend. He told us that wheat flour and dhal is very healthy and that he experiments. And the cost is negligible. He told us that he prefers asian and tries Chinese, Japanese etc. Funnily he told us that he came across Dhal as part of vegan lifestyle was in a Western style cafe serving heath food in London.

We cant wait for the next invitation for dinner.

Anyone with a good recipe for mostest crispy sio bak? I use vinegar to coat the skin before roasting it... Anyone?

toothpick

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi bro zhihau,

I am partial to crispy sio bak. May I ask what vinegar you use and how long do you marinate it for.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
poh piah with jicama, carrot, bean sprouts, tofu, cucumber, cilantro, peanuts, chili. all homegrown except poh piah skin, tofu and peanuts.

Home grown is the bestest! How do you prepare your bean sprouts? Uncooked or lightly blanched?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
2DFC5FE7-D1F7-4170-A10C-B9E9A79BCCDF.JPG

I usually use white rice vinegar.

And if you're interested, I follow this recipe strictly:
1. The pork:
I'll choose the pork belly carefully, with about 75% lean meat, about 25% fat and skin and the entire piece of belly should be about 2 inches thick on all sides. Partially boiled in boiling water, skin facing downwards for some 10 minutes. Transferred into ice cold water immediately and soak for 5 minutes. Once cooled, those bristles should come of the skin rather easily with a pair of tweezers. I'll prick the entire skin thoroughly as this step ensures the crispy skin later on.

2. The marinate:
For a kilogram of meat, I'll use 2 tablespoons of 5-spice powder, 2 tablespoons of ShaoXing wine, 2 teaspoons of salt, 2 teaspoons of white pepper, 2 teaspoons of sesame seed oil, 2 teaspoons of garlic oil. The mixture is generously coated on the meat and fats, carefully avoiding the skin. The marinated slab of meat sits in the fridge overnight, exposing the skin to dehydrate the skin.

3. The cooking:
I preheat my oven to about 250 degrees C, takes the marinated meat out of the fridge, coat a generous layer of white rice vinegar on the skin, pop the meat into the preheated oven to let it take care of any condensation. Roasting on the lower rack for at least 15 minutes, the skin will start to bubble at this time, turn golden brown but not charred. The pricking of the skin should allow enough fats to come through, I'll let the lard oil fry the skin, let it cook for another 20 minutes until you can see the entire skin surface bursting with tiny bubbles.
If the skin isn't oily, I do add a layer of lard oil prepared previously to the skin, and continue to let the meat cook for at least 30 minutes till you see those tiny bubbles.
The tiny bubbles is a signal for me to bring the meat to the top rack for final treatment, still at 250 degrees C and it's for about 5-10 minutes. Some parts may be charred but it's ok. You'll see the oil splattering out from the skin, and I only take the meat out when about 10% of the skin is charred.

4. Serving:
Scrapping off the charred portions with a serrated bread knife after the meat is cooled, chop it up and you're ready to serve.

May I ask what vinegar you use and how long do you marinate it for.

flatearther

Alfrescian
Loyal
he is a vegan and a health food nut
I'm a vegan too, and I hope he consumes enough:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12
wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid

This is because too little Omega-3 fatty acid and Vitamin B12 (which is found mostly in animal food) in the bodies of vegans can still increase their risk of heart disease and stroke, which I discovered after watching the following informative, yet entertaining, talk by Dr Michael Greger (from 2003):

[video=youtube;q7KeRwdIH04]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7KeRwdIH04[/video]

drgreger.org
nutritionfacts.org/about
sammyboy.com/showthread.php?228274-Dear vegans (although we are in the tiny minority), you're on the right track, but...

Everyone agreed that it was best curry that we had tasted.
Also, I hope he did not add any artificial sugar/sweetener:
"Sugar Doesn't Just Feed Cancer, It Causes Cancer - Cancer Defeated Newsletter #77"
cancerdefeated.com/newsletters/Sugar-feeds-cancer-and-causes-cancer.html
healthline.com/nutrition/9-reasons-to-avoid-sugar
and/or MSG:
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/21/msg-is-this-silent-killer-lurking-in-your-kitchen-cabinets.aspx
and/or cooking/vegetable oil because nearly all types of cooking/vegetable oil contain very unhealthy:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat#Health_risks
healthline.com/nutrition/6-reasons-why-vegetable-oils-are-toxic

[video=youtube;omjWmLG0EAs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omjWmLG0EAs[/video]

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I steam fish e.g. salmon steak. Or bake the fish. I sprinkle herbs like pepper, sage, rosemary, balsamic vineager,..... over the fish

For veggies I take them raw i.e. uncooked e.g. spinach, kale, rocket, tomatoes. I use red bismati rice because it has a low glycemic index. I sprinkle olive oil over my veggies.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I steam fish e.g. salmon steak. Or bake the fish. I sprinkle herbs like pepper, sage, rosemary, balsamic vineager,..... over the fish

For veggies I take them raw i.e. uncooked e.g. spinach, kale, rocket, tomatoes. I use red bismati rice because it has a low glycemic index. I sprinkle olive oil over my veggies.

On Saturday and Monday, I usually bbq salmon fillet.
I put fresh dill and something called "Dave's No Salt Steak Rub" (it is about $8 for 150 gm jar in Toronto).
I steamed butternut squash, broccoli and cauliflower.
For Friday, I may bbq Angus striploin steak (or boneless centre cut pork loin), boiled potato, steamed green beans.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The crackling reminds me of the time I introduced an American to Chinese food and in particular to crispy duck. The restaurant required a pre-order for Peking duck so we settled for crispy duck UK style with cucumber, spring onions and plumb sauce. The guy thought he was in heaven.