• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat OECD study say sinkie kids have high level of anxiety, PAP can't even be bothered

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
[h=1]Singapore students suffer from high levels of anxiety: Study[/h]
[h=2]Higher proportion worry about tests and grades compared with OECD average[/h] Sandra Davie
Senior Education Correspondent

Singapore students may be topping the charts in mathematics, science and reading, but it is exacting a heavy emotional price on them.
An international study suggests that Singapore students, known worldwide for academic excellence, also experience high levels of anxiety and have been exposed to bullying.
The findings emerged in a study by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), which conducts the triennial tests called the Programme for International Student Assessment (Pisa). The study polled 540,000 students from 72 countries and economies to look at the connection between well-being and achievement in the Pisa tests.

One question that the 5,825 Singapore students who were polled did not have to answer was on how satisfied they were with life, but their responses to the other questions revealed that most were anxious about tests and grades.

Students were asked to respond to statements such as: "I often worry that it will be difficult for me to take a test"; "I worry I will get poor grades at school"; "I feel very anxious even if I am well prepared for a test"; "I get very tense when I study for a test"; and "I get nervous when I do not know how to solve a task at school".
It emerged that their anxiety levels were significantly higher than the OECD average for all five questions. For example, 66 per cent of students across all OECD countries said they were worried about poor grades at school, but among Singapore students, it was 86 per cent.

In Singapore, 76 per cent reported feeling very anxious for a test even if they were well prepared, compared with the OECD average of 55 per cent.

This could be related to the fact that Singapore students were also more driven. One question asked if they wanted to be top of their class. Some 82 per cent said they did. The OECD average was 60 per cent.
The study found that students who reported they wanted to do well in school performed better. On average, the most motivated students scored the equivalent of more than one school year higher in Pisa than the least motivated ones.

When asked to comment on the finding on test anxiety, the Ministry of Education (MOE) said the 15-year-olds in Singapore who were surveyed comprised largely of Secondary 4 students preparing for their N- and O-level examinations.

"Hence... it is understandable that our students are likely to be more anxious about doing well," it said, noting that in the same survey, more than eight in 10 of Singapore's 15-year-olds also said they enjoyed learning science.
"So, we recognise that while our students are anxious about doing well in examinations, their enjoyment in learning science has not been dampened," it said.
Regarding the correlation between motivation and stress, it acknowledged both sides of the coin. "Research has shown that stress at appropriate levels can be a motivating force to energise us for the challenges we face. That said, we recognise that while there is no certainty of causality, having overly high achievement motivation is also correlated with anxiety levels," it said.
"Hence, while we are encouraged that our students are highly motivated to learn and achieve, we are cognisant that this must not come at the expense of their well-being," said the ministry, adding that schools put in much effort to help students understand the meaning of their learning, instead of focusing solely on their achievements.
"Ultimately, stress and anxiety is a personal response arising from one's expectations and the ability to manage challenges. In the light of this, our schools focus on helping students gain a wider perspective, looking beyond achievement, by helping them manage their expectations and understand their strengths and weaknesses. This will also help our students develop more resilient and positive mindsets."
National Institute of Education don Jason Tan said the finding on high anxiety levels is not out of step with a school system that uses exams to channel students into different secondary and post-secondary pathways. "To get ahead, a student has to not only do well, but well above his peers. So it is not surprising that our students are anxious about exams and grades," he said, noting that in recent years, the MOE has introduced various measures to lessen stress and anxiety.
"The changes to the Primary School Leaving Examination scoring system and aptitude-based admission into post-secondary institutions are among the measures that will hopefully lessen anxiety and increase the enjoyment of learning among our students."

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Why doesn't the MOE conduct such studies? Why does an organization so far away can be bothered to poll over 5000 students here, but the MOE cannot? Are they too busy giving out free scholarships to FT students? Are they picking their nose?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Everyone knows that the white trash kids and the mudland kids have lower stress levels because most of them couldn't be bothered about their studies.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Do studies mean you can be successful? Look at Einstein look at Trump!

Trump is a serial liar and Einstein is the epitome of the hardworking student.

This is self induced by the parents.
You don't see Malays talking about stress.

m&ds don't talk about stress because far too many of them have delusions of bumiputra apartheid rights.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look at the education syllabus ...gets harder n harder each year...the pap wants the stress to ensure the population remains compliant.

kelton65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nonsense. If any, kids nowadays don't have enough spur in their hide. More FTs from overseas are needed to motivate the student.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
High anxiety is a good thing. If the kids just relaxed in a corner playing the guitar I'd be very worried.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Childhood is supposed to be happy and carefree and I guess the pappy has succeeded in destroying that-and this is my biggest criticism of them

When you go to any public/HDB playground you will notice that the kids there are almost all foreigners-mainly Indian FT's, PRC's and Pinoys.
What happened to all the local kids?-I guess doing their homework or going for tuition.
How come the foreign kids have time to play but local kids do not?
I guess the 70% have voted for a life with high levels of anxiety and worry about tests and grades for their kids-the kind of parents that care more about property prices than their kids welfare. Will such a miserable society do well?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Childhood is supposed to be happy and carefree and I guess the pappy has succeeded in destroying that-and this is my biggest criticism of them

When you go to any public/HDB playground you will notice that the kids there are almost all foreigners-mainly Indian FT's, PRC's and Pinoys.
What happened to all the local kids?-I guess doing their homework or going for tuition.
How come the foreign kids have time to play but local kids do not?
I guess the 70% have voted for a life with high levels of anxiety and worry about tests and grades for their kids-the kind of parents that care more about property prices than their kids welfare. Will such a miserable society do well?

FT kids can lelac because they know when they grow up, they are guaranteed jobs. While local native born kids have to do NS and reservists, employers will be looking to hire these FT kids that do not have such obligations to fulfill.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The main issue is with all this stress and anxiety and great demands made on the kids by the education system, there is still no world class local companies, no Nobel prize winners and all we get are scholar generals. And of course a compliant workforce..is this system a success or a failure?