• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Some quick thoughts from my trip to China

Maximuz

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just got back from Jian Ou, Fuzhou the other day and would like to share some of my thoughts and experiences...

Jian Ou is almost identical to the under-developed, non-tourist parts of Bangkok, except that things are as expensive as shit. Clothes (of all things) are two to three times more expensive; household electronics are all Chinese but at higher-than-Japanese prices, and even a can of hair wax I bought was 2x the Singaporean price. Food is cheap, though mostly bland -- the province is deathly afraid of spices, to the point where I cried out in excitement when I saw garlic used in a veggie stir fry.

I'm a heavy beer drinker, and the first couple of days I drank till I got bloated and wondered why didn't I get drunk. Then I discovered that their beers are weak as shit (the standard is 3.6% alcohol, even the Chinese Budweiser), and 5% is considered strong to them. Spent the rest of my trip having neat vodka instead, which I despised.

Walking on the street is a barrage on my senses because of the non-stop honking and the very occasional smell of shit coming from sewage drains. On the plane back, the Chinese passengers were farting (Jesus) and taking so many dumps after dinner that the smell of shit got recycled right into the ventilation system. I wrapped the blanket around my face like a ninja and put my knees up against the seat in front of me, which of course was reclined quite a ways back (happened to me on the way to Fuzhou as well).

All in all, I hope to never go anywhere in China ever again. Though in a word of fairness, the Fuzhou Chinese are quite friendly, chatty, and very family-oriented. I didn't mind the loud, boisterous family gatherings in the restaurants I dined in because I thought that's the way it should be, in comparison to Singaporean outings where the only thing you hear is the sound of cutlery.

Ok that's it.

Maximuz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Accompanied someone to go see his gf. Oh and yeah, I can't do anything online as well. 70% of the content I access online is from youtube (conspiracy stuff) and predictably, I can't get the same things on youku and tudou (both of which are shit as well for general viewing). The rest of the stuff (Game of Thrones, anime) won't load as well so having Internet in China is like having no Internet, to me.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Accompanied someone to go see his gf. Oh and yeah, I can't do anything online as well. 70% of the content I access online is from youtube (conspiracy stuff) and predictably, I can't get the same things on youku and tudou (both of which are shit as well for general viewing). The rest of the stuff (Game of Thrones, anime) won't load as well so having Internet in China is like having no Internet, to me.

1st of all try shanghai/zhuhai next time. Their malls there are 1st class. I highly recommend Wanda or Huafa malls.
2nd China still has its grimy dirty parts. But hey, thats why people go to china. I won't recommend India, but you are into that sort of things India would have been an even bigger eye opener.
3rd, CHina's internet is like another internet. You tried taobao yet? For like 2 months I was there I don't even have to get out of the apartments to get things delivered, sometimes, same day delivery.

Maximuz

Alfrescian
Loyal
How was the sex? No FR?

Nope, didn't go with vice though I did ask my friend's friend (who's a young chiongster) about "substances" and he surprisingly refused to speak about the matter.

1st of all try shanghai/zhuhai next time. Their malls there are 1st class. I highly recommend Wanda or Huafa malls.
2nd China still has its grimy dirty parts. But hey, thats why people go to china. I won't recommend India, but you are into that sort of things India would have been an even bigger eye opener.
3rd, CHina's internet is like another internet. You tried taobao yet? For like 2 months I was there I don't even have to get out of the apartments to get things delivered, sometimes, same day delivery.

Thanks for the recommendations but going to China again is kinda like a life-or-death proposal to me. You know what's the other thing that drives me fucking insane? NOBODY takes their allocated seats in ticketed trains or buses, which is so mind-bendingly stupid. I mean, people get on in further stops, and then it's oh you have my seat oh they have my seat oh ok I'll ask the other guy to give up my seat. I mean this is just plain stupid shit that can be avoided by JUST SITTING IN YOUR FUCKING ALLOCATED SEAT. Best thing, on the flight home, the fucking Chinese were trying to do the same shit but the attendants said you can swap seats after we've taken off (and nobody did).

As for India, I'm extremely sensitive to smell, so I would kill myself before going to there. But I take your point, and I've been to places where the toilets have no flushes.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nope, didn't go with vice though I did ask my friend's friend (who's a young chiongster) about "substances" and he surprisingly refused to speak about the matter.

Thanks for the recommendations but going to China again is kinda like a life-or-death proposal to me. You know what's the other thing that drives me fucking insane? NOBODY takes their allocated seats in ticketed trains or buses, which is so mind-bendingly stupid. I mean, people get on in further stops, and then it's oh you have my seat oh they have my seat oh ok I'll ask the other guy to give up my seat. I mean this is just plain stupid shit that can be avoided by JUST SITTING IN YOUR FUCKING ALLOCATED SEAT. Best thing, on the flight home, the fucking Chinese were trying to do the same shit but the attendants said you can swap seats after we've taken off (and nobody did).

As for India, I'm extremely sensitive to smell, so I would kill myself before going to there. But I take your point, and I've been to places where the toilets have no flushes.

Thing about india, there are more mobile phones then actual toilet in India. Have a think what that means. Some things takes a bloody long time to change. But I'll tell you china is changing very fast. Honestly, take a look around Shanghai. If you are adventurous and likes shopping Guangzhou has a lot of things to look at.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Shanghai n Beijing ain't like that although the parts about not following rules apply everywhere in china.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will be visiting Shanghai.

What's the situation with tourist SIM card ? I read it's 150 RMB for a few days. That's even more expensive than Singapore and Hongkong.

And can I access my gmail or Youtube in China?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will be visiting Shanghai.

What's the situation with tourist SIM card ? I read it's 150 RMB for a few days. That's even more expensive than Singapore and Hongkong.

And can I access my gmail or Youtube in China?

I believe the SIM you get from the airport does allow gmail and youtube. Prolly the hotels, but I've only stayed in 6 star 1s. Not sure if they've changed it already or not.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You have my empathy on a plane load of PRC CHINESE...I do not wish to relate again my experience of being in an airbus a320 airasia from Bangkok to Singapore..some while back...so I do understand....you wish you could jettison the entire Chinese passengers, except you of course...out of the plane...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have my empathy on a plane load of PRC CHINESE...I do not wish to relate again my experience of being in an airbus a320 airasia from Bangkok to Singapore..some while back...so I do understand....you wish you could jettison the entire Chinese passengers, except you of course...out of the plane...

I used to take Airasia in the past but switched to Jetstar because they use Suvarnabhumi airport & it's more convenient if you are taking the MRT to Bangkok city. On Jetstar flights there might be PRC chinese but they are better behaved.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Typical sinkie frog in a well mentality. China is bigger than Europe. Just because you went to a 4th tier city you think the rest of the country is like that? Lol

Stay in sinkapore lah. We are the best because straights times say so

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Typical sinkie frog in a well mentality. China is bigger than Europe. Just because you went to a 4th tier city you think the rest of the country is like that? Lol

It's like a University grad going for job interview but the potential employer forms his impression of the job seeker based on his poor PSLE results.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe the SIM you get from the airport does allow gmail and youtube. Prolly the hotels, but I've only stayed in 6 star 1s. Not sure if they've changed it already or not.

150 rmb is a bit crazy, right?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I totally agree, Ah toing land is huge,,,,there are parts which are ulu and there are cities that are more developed than singkieland,,,no need a shanghai or Beijing,,,Guangzhou itself already miles ahead of singkieland,,,in addition there are many nice 3rd tier cities which are good to live and visit,,,,the TS just compare with one ulu city in the Fuckien province,,,singkies like that should just stay in singkieland,,,,

creampie

Alfrescian
Loyal
I totally agree, Ah toing land is huge,,,,there are parts which are ulu and there are cities that are more developed than singkieland,,,no need a shanghai or Beijing,,,Guangzhou itself already miles ahead of singkieland,,,in addition there are many nice 3rd tier cities which are good to live and visit,,,,the TS just compare with one ulu city in the Fuckien province,,,singkies like that should just stay in singkieland,,,,

nah...sinkies who think this way should fuck off to EDMW fuckwarezone forum

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think Jian Ou is even considered a real city in China, it seems to be an urban area set within a predominantly agricultural county. From my experience, Tier 2 Chinese cities are already more developed than ASEAN capitals.