• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Son of Taxi Driver Among this year's (2017) President's Scholars.

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the good of the nation, we must have a reserved place for a Malay to receive the President Scholarship.

Also, next we must see that the minority race is slotted to be the next Commissioner of Police.

Also, next we must see that a Malay must helm the highest military position, Army Chief of staff.

Only then, we can see the coming EP election reserved for Halimah a sensible proposition.

not forgetting PeeM............now or soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The moment you step into RI at Sec 1 you would know why RI would be overrepresented in receiving scholarships. The first thing you will note is that there is no else you know except for one other kid.

Auspicium Melioris Aevi
I believe that there is usually one Rafflesian a year.
I am proud of the individual who is multi lingual, and individual whose father is a taxi driver.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally I think the Singh guy is the most outstanding among all of them.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/a-love-for-languages-cultures

English, Malay, Hindi and Mandarin - Mr Jasdeep Singh Hundal speaks all these languages on top of his mother tongue Punjabi.

And he is learning French too.

Growing up, he was also exposed to different languages at home as his parents speak three to six languages, from Punjabi, Malay and Tamil to Hindi, English and Chinese.

"I can't exactly remember which language I learnt first," said the 19-year-old who picked up Chinese from his play group at age three.

He took an interest in the Chinese language, studying it as a subject at Nan Chiau Primary School even though it did not count towards his overall grades. He took Punjabi classes out of school on Saturday mornings.

He later studied Chinese as a third language in Raffles Institution - and scored A1.

"The school (Nan Chiau Primary) really immersed me in the Chinese culture. As the head prefect, I said the Pledge and gave the graduation speech in Mandarin," he said.

His love for languages spurred his interest in learning about other cultures, and Mr Hundal, one of five recipients of the President's Scholarship this year, will be taking up a double degree in social sciences and history in two countries.

Mr Hundal, who is on a Public Service Commission scholarship (Foreign Service), will spend the first two years at the Sciences Po in France, and the next two at the University of California, Berkeley, in the United States.

The only child of an engineer and part-time dental assistant scored straight As for all his A-level subjects, which included biology, chemistry, mathematics and economics.

He said: "Languages are tied to people and by extension, culture, arts and politics.

"What better way to understand people than to speak to them in their own language... It shows that you're interested to know about them and their culture."

Amelia Teng

Yeah, looking at the picture, I thought the Singh looked most impressive. Reading his background confirms it. Anyway, it is more heartening to see this batch with scholarships than the sons of MPs and ministers and other privileged kids...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah, looking at the picture, I thought the Singh looked most impressive. Reading his background confirms it. Anyway, it is more heartening to see this batch with scholarships than the sons of MPs and ministers and other privileged kids...

The "Imperial Court" will now have a PUNJABI EUNUCH, Speaking the Chinese Language.....