Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: PRC Work Injury claim lawsuit backfires

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    23,853
    My Reputation Points: 689 / Power: 0

    Default PRC Work Injury claim lawsuit backfires

    Interesting case. Sounds like a setup. Despite so many discrepancies why did the lawyer pursue this case. Now a $35K bill which does include lawyer's bill.


    http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...fer-loses-case

    Worker who sued despite compensation offer loses case, ordered to pay $35k in costs
    Chinese national Xu Zhenbing was ordered to pay $35,000 in legal costs after being unable to prove his claim.

    PUBLISHEDAUG 11, 2017, 5:00 AM SGT

    Chinese national who rejected MOM payout couldn't prove claim, must pay $35k in costs
    K.C. VijayanSenior Law Correspondent
    An injured worker was offered compensation under the Work Injury Compensation Act (Wica) but declined the sum and opted to sue in court instead. He failed to prove his claim and now finds he must pay $35,000 in costs instead.

    The case could serve as an eye-opener for workers who spurn the compensation that the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) offers them. The ministry has asked such workers to "consider carefully" before they opt to go to court as the burden of proof there may be different.

    The issue has come under the spotlight following the case of Chinese national Xu Zhenbing, who claimed that he suffered injuries on his right wrist when carrying out reinforcement works of metal rebars in a lift shaft at an Alexandra View worksite in 2014. He was 43 years old at the time.

    Defendants Sen Lin Construction and Daewoo Engineering & Construction, represented by lawyer Hong Heng Leong, contested his claims in the High Court trial.

    Judicial Commissioner Audrey Lim ruled last month that Mr Xu was not able to show, on balance, that "he was performing metal rebar works at a lift shaft on Sept 27, 2014".

    The records did not indicate rebar works done at the lift shaft and it was "more likely" that he was doing rebar works at the water pipes as documented, the judge said.

    Mr Xu had claimed that he told a senior company employee about the accident at around 9pm on the same day at the workers' dormitory.

    But the employee testified that he did not make such trips down to the dormitory, "much less on a weekend and so late at night".

    Judicial Commissioner Lim also found it strange that the worker told the doctor in January 2015 that the fracture occurred only about two months after he had hurt himself.

    "Xu's claim on how he sustained the injury rested essentially on his own oral assertions," added the judge. She also made it clear that MOM's findings on the case did not affect her findings as there was no evidence on how rigorous the assessment was.

    Mr Xu, represented by lawyer Eric Liew, was ordered to pay $35,000 in legal costs.

    Ms Kee Ee Wah, director of MOM's Work Injury Compensation Department, said that Wica was a no-fault regime that admitted claims as long as the injury arose in the course of employment.

    "The worker need not prove fault or negligence on anyone's part," she said.

    In Mr Xu's case, none of the four witnesses produced by the employer could show that the injury was not work-related and the claim was admitted.

    Noting that about 800 injured workers annually withdraw their Wica claims to pursue them in court instead, Ms Kee urged injured workers to "consider carefully between claiming under Wica and filing a suit under common law, as the evidential requirements are different".

    Workers can still re-apply for Wica claims within a year of the accident after losing their lawsuit, but in Mr Xu's case, that deadline has already passed.

    According to MOM's website, for accidents before Jan 1 last year, involving permanent incapacity, the compensation payable varies between $73,000 and $218,000.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    322
    My Reputation Points: 298 / Power: 0

    Default Re: PRC Work Injury claim lawsuit backfires

    knn...want to sue gahmen in singapore.

    siao lang.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    30,517
    My Reputation Points: 2501 / Power: 13

    Default Re: PRC Work Injury claim lawsuit backfires

    The kek leng's & the bangla's had learnt their lessons, that is why, these days, you don't hear them taking the employers to court for injury claims, just take, what MOM says they get & run home with it...it is actually a fair deal. In the past, these clowns will be approached by their own kind "snake" lawyers...who says they can get more...& they just sign the dotted lines....they do not know lawyers charge by the hour etc..( like the taxi meter), out of pocket expenses etc...by the time, they do get some compensation, the lawyer's would have gone 'fat' & all the victim gets are about 20 grams of mustard seeds...ha ha ha ha

    The Chinaman...is new to this..they will learn! the hard way....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,660
    My Reputation Points: 377 / Power: 0

    Default Re: PRC Work Injury claim lawsuit backfires

    Quote Originally Posted by halsey02 View Post
    The kek leng's & the bangla's had learnt their lessons, that is why, these days, you don't hear them taking the employers to court for injury claims, just take, what MOM says they get & run home with it...it is actually a fair deal. In the past, these clowns will be approached by their own kind "snake" lawyers...who says they can get more...& they just sign the dotted lines....they do not know lawyers charge by the hour etc..( like the taxi meter), out of pocket expenses etc...by the time, they do get some compensation, the lawyer's would have gone 'fat' & all the victim gets are about 20 grams of mustard seeds...ha ha ha ha

    The Chinaman...is new to this..they will learn! the hard way....

    Chinamen on WP is not new to this. I think the lawyers at people park COMPLEX had been doing very brisk business since 2006 when the flood gate flung open suddenly.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    23,853
    My Reputation Points: 689 / Power: 0

    Default Re: PRC Work Injury claim lawsuit backfires

    I believe GD mentioned this as well. This one is dodgy, no evidence of he working at that location, injury reported 2 days later and lack of documentation. I am actually surprised workman comp actually made an offer.

    Quote Originally Posted by congo9 View Post
    Chinamen on WP is not new to this. I think the lawyers at people park COMPLEX had been doing very brisk business since 2006 when the flood gate flung open suddenly.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,642
    My Reputation Points: 303 / Power: 0

    Default Re: PRC Work Injury claim lawsuit backfires

    how is he gonna foot the legal $35k bill? go to jail, taxpayer need to foot his lodging ,food, security protection..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    23,853
    My Reputation Points: 689 / Power: 0

    Default Re: PRC Work Injury claim lawsuit backfires

    Unless he has got money nothing can be done, they will write it off. They will not even bother to make him bankrupt as it will incur costs. That's the reason why lawyers like these sort of clients to try their luck.

    Singaporeans will fear bankruptcy and will not agree with their lawyer on these sort of scams.



    Quote Originally Posted by songsongjurong View Post
    how is he gonna foot the legal $35k bill? go to jail, taxpayer need to foot his lodging ,food, security protection..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,394
    My Reputation Points: 249 / Power: 0

    Default Re: PRC Work Injury claim lawsuit backfires

    Quote Originally Posted by scroobal View Post
    Unless he has got money nothing can be done, they will write it off. They will not even bother to make him bankrupt as it will incur costs. That's the reason why lawyers like these sort of clients to try their luck.

    Singaporeans will fear bankruptcy and will not agree with their lawyer on these sort of scams.
    If contingency fees is allowed, then there is a good chance.
    Last edited by Bonut; 12-08-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-11-2015, 09:08 PM
  2. Three workers jailed for fraudulent work injury claims
    By ScoutTrooper in forum Singapore Crime
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-09-2014, 07:05 PM
  3. 1 million prcs working & studying in singapore?
    By makapaaa in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 04:42 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 03:25 PM
  5. Four FT jailed for fake Work Injury Compensation claims
    By Rakyat in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 07:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •