• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Your preferred airport in Shanghai - Pudong or Hongqiao ?

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you normally touch down at Pudong or Hongqiao? I have never tried Hongqiao, and I don't understand why Pudong always seems to be the preferred airport.

Hongqiao is accessible via subway too. So why is Hongqiao being discriminated ?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Do you normally touch down at Pudong or Hongqiao? I have never tried Hongqiao, and I don't understand why Pudong always seems to be the preferred airport.

Hongqiao is accessible via subway too. So why is Hongqiao being discriminated ?

Are you kidding, its no contest. Pudong. For sure. Hongqiao is like their domestic airport in Shanghai. I Believe it was once a military airfield.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you kidding, its no contest. Pudong. For sure. Hongqiao is like their domestic airport in Shanghai. I Believe it was once a military airfield.

Hongqiao looks respectable:

shanghai-hongqiao-airport.jpg

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
No direct flights from SG to Hongqiao ..

Yup ! But I prefer to fly to HK or Macau and then to Shanghai. Can stopover at either HK or Macau for some sightseeing and shopping - for the same price that I will be paying for direct flight to Shanghai.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I believe the only "international" flights in and out of Hongqiao are to/fro HK and Taiwan. The rest are domestic mainland flights

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Long time ago Hongqiao was an international airport. When Pudong was opened Hongqiao became a domestic airport for a while. While it was still operating as a domestic airpot massive, I mean mother of all massive construction work began redeveloping Hongqiao to a transportation hub meaning construction of a brand new Hongqiao International Airport (old runway is still being use today) and Shanghai's High Speed Train Station. So both the train station and airport is now connected, side by side mad it easy for passengers to transfer.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i would prefer hongqiao because of the hsr connection. pudong is a little bit of a stretch to go anywhere even to downtown shaghigh. it's like comparing narita to haneda.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Long time ago Hongqiao was an international airport. When Pudong was opened Hongqiao became a domestic airport for a while. While it was still operating as a domestic airpot massive, I mean mother of all massive construction work began redeveloping Hongqiao to a transportation hub meaning construction of a brand new Hongqiao International Airport (old runway is still being use today) and Shanghai's High Speed Train Station. So both the train station and airport is now connected, side by side mad it easy for passengers to transfer.

So what's the verdict ? Tickets to Hongqiao are cheaper ?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

ultimately it depends on which side of the Huangpujiang you want to stay at. Pudong is a newly developed area, and whilst not so attractive, has a lot of potential for growth. In 10 years time both Pudong and Puxi may be equally happening liao

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ultimately it depends on which side of the Huangpujiang you want to stay at. Pudong is a newly developed area, and whilst not so attractive, has a lot of potential for growth. In 10 years time both Pudong and Puxi may be equally happening liao

if shaghigh is just a stopover to connect to other cities in prc, hongqiao is a better hub.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am going to the Shanghai International Expo Center (whatever it's called). Would prefer to stay near subway, but knn now the hotel rates very high during expo period.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

For me its Hongqiao because its closest to Shanghai city, I forgot to mention theres a very big MRT station at the basement too connecting you anywhere in Shanghai. As a foreigner most important is connection to Hongqiao or Pudong.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ya lah.. public transport in Shanghai is quite convenient so no worries. Back to your opening question - I think you can't flight straight to hongqiao. But the 高铁 from Pudong international is cheap and fast. Have fun