• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Can a current 27" iMac(2017) be used as a HDMI monitor?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm thinking of getting a new iMac 27" which was released this year in 2017. I want to connect an android media player to the iMac & use it as a TV. Anyone know if this is doable:confused:

The new iMac dispay is a 5k monitor & would make a great display :smile:

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have no idea.
I am waiting to for apple to launch new version of Mac Mini and I want to connect mac mini to my sony cheap tv via hdmi

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have no idea.
I am waiting to for apple to launch new version of Mac Mini and I want to connect mac mini to my sony cheap tv via hdmi

I don't expect Apple to update the mini this year because they are still working on the more powerful iMac Pro. After that it will probably be the turn of the Mac Pro.

I'm currently using a Macbook Pro connected to a 24" Dell display via a DVI connector but it's not an ideal solution. Plenty of unsightly cables

Was actually looking at one of those newer 34" Asus monitors but if I can connect my android media player to a new 27" iMac I would prefer this solution because the 5K display is much nicer.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
select target display mode. use mini displayport and connect to 3rd party with mini displayport cable or via a 3rd party hdmi converter.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't expect Apple to update the mini this year because they are still working on the more powerful iMac Pro. After that it will probably be the turn of the Mac Pro.

I'm currently using a Macbook Pro connected to a 24" Dell display via a DVI connector but it's not an ideal solution. Plenty of unsightly cables

Was actually looking at one of those newer 34" Asus monitors but if I can connect my android media player to a new 27" iMac I would prefer this solution because the 5K display is much nicer.

Use your Macbook Pro's thunderbolt port to convert to a mini displayport, those converter usually include HDMI port as well. After that you can just pick up any gaming display that supports 5k & up to 240hz and you will have the highest res display that the latest media can support.

P.S do not buy those Taobao docks, the specs listed usually are not the latest ones.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-thunderbolt-dock/

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1465296941

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
haha what's the use of 4k or 5k display when u are playing FHD quality content 90% of the time?

I'm actually looking at the 5K display for viewing movies & not playing games.
My current TV is 4+ years & still running so I don't want to throw it away.

Currently looking at upgrading my Mac & if the iMac's with a 5K screen can double up as a computer as well as a media player then I will probably get an iMac . I've seen the new iMacs & it has a very nice display.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I'm actually looking at the 5K display for viewing movies & not playing games.
My current TV is 4+ years & still running so I don't want to throw it away.

Currently looking at upgrading my Mac & if the iMac's with a 5K screen can double up as a computer as well as a media player then I will probably get an iMac . I've seen the new iMacs & it has a very nice display.

I don't buy new Macs anymore. I buy refurbished stuff plus great accessories from https://www.macsales.com/

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Use your Macbook Pro's thunderbolt port to convert to a mini displayport, those converter usually include HDMI port as well. After that you can just pick up any gaming display that supports 5k & up to 240hz and you will have the highest res display that the latest media can support.

P.S do not buy those Taobao docks, the specs listed usually are not the latest ones.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-thunderbolt-dock/

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1465296941

Thanks. My equipment is getting old & I need to update most of my gear. It's amazing how much old hardware I have sitting on my desk: 3 displays, 2 PCs, a TV, a Macbook , an internet radio, a media player, external speakers, .... :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I visited the Apple Store at Orchard Road & asked them whether I can connect a media player to view movies on the new iMac screens.

I was told that the new iMacs don't support target mode. So one cannot use the Apple TV with the new iMacs :eek:

I think Apple dropped the ball in this case. I'm sure there are many people who would want to use the iMac screens with the Apple TV.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If anyone is looking for the LG Ultrafine 5k 27" monitor you can find it at the Spore Applestore. It's set up so you can actually touch & use it. This is rare in Spore.

They really have plenty of space & manpower/girlpower at the Apple Store. Must cost $$$ to run the shop.

These monitors are selling it for SGD$1,875