• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Are women biologically suited for engineering - your honest views

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree that if one is involved in building great products there is no substitute for meritocracy. And more importantly gender neutral, colour blind and remove any other bias. I felt that Google CEO should have not touched on their tough recruitment practices rather than address the diversity issue alone. He took the easy out. I know that Australian Defence Science has hired people with autism outright because they bring great value while in Singapore it is never done. In Singapore they would have failed the conventional interview process.

Agree that he sacrificed honesty to close off this matter. He should have acted like Steve Jobs, just create and leave the politics to his PR staff. He also could not separate Company policy and staff views and opinions. There was no reason to sack him.

The point is that the staff's view might not even be correct. Its gives the impression that Google goes out of its way to recruit substandard female engineers. The lower numbers in engineering reflects in my opinion that females generally prefer not to go into engineering compared to Law, Medicine etc. Its areas where their particular traits pays itself for them and the sector.

(1)

If a company wishes to call itself world class, then it must hire based purely on merit, EVEN if it turns out hiring a team of engineers that are 90% males.

With greater equality of education and opportunity, however, I believe that women now have the chance to develop their abilities from young, and as such, I would be shocked if a truly meritocratic hiring system resulted in such an outcome.

My first point therefore is that the original memo was an indirect critique of Google's hiring policy - and if the male engineer's observations have some merit even if they politically incorrect, the question becomes: Has Google hired based on merit or did the desire for some gender equality seep into the process?

(2)

My second point is that Google's reflex action only serves to alienate those who observe with honesty that the male engineer was indeed correct in at least some of his observations. This is disappointing as it shows Google has succumbed to the cult of political correctness. The proper way to respond is to rebut with facts:

(i) Point out there are no shortage of incompetent and emotional male engineers
(ii) Point out that landscaping all women with a single stroke is unfair not only to the capable women, but in fact an assault on Google's hiring integrity

Succumbing to political correctness causes the company to dilute its message and miss both points.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is absolutely correct. Seen it and heard it so many times. Small companies with few staff and marginal profits will suffer. However good companies that are well established know how to manage resources competently and these are non-issues for them.

In Spore & probably other countries as well, if a female is expecting a baby, would any potential employer hire them :confused:

Same thing with Spore males who have NS obligations. Would an employer hire a foreigner who has no NS obligations or a singkee who has to do reservist:confused:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In nearly every disciplines that are some routines and areas where gender inherent traits do come into play. In the Intelligence services, there is a deliberate practice to ensure that enough gender distribution is available in analysis work. Thats to ensure that nothing is missed.

are women biologically suited for neuroscience?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its many decades since the 60s where civil liberties were strongly fought for. By now, it should be accepted that we see individuals as individuals in their own person, with their own strengths, talents, weaknesses, not based on gender, ethnicity, faith, or sexual orientation, but I suppose certain sterotypes are not easy to overlook. With the exception of short bursts of physical strength, females do not lose out to males in any area. They can rise up to challenge their male counterparts in almost every aspect in life. This can be seen almost everywhere all over the world. However, it is society that still expects each person to fall into and live out and play their specific roles. This is why women still face and uphill path in areas traditionally reserved for men. It is time we move on and think as modern man should. Put the past in the past.

Cheers!

You heard the guy from Google. What do you think? Was the memo from the Google CEO fair comment? Or is there a voice outside the World of political correctness?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Women dont want male salesman in their shop. Why?

Why women want to get into engineering which is not her forte. They hv their own technical type of engineering to busy with like finger and toe nails painting.

Breastfeed skills. Pretent screaming organism. Makeup chemical engineering.

They also have good analytical skills in assessing which Chanel collection is going to be in fashion 5 years from now.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. I felt that Google CEO could have said these things rather than just defend the diversity policy which many think rightly or wrongly as affirmative action. Business and entities that depend on high performing individuals such as Google to achieve cutting technological advances do not carry under-performers and less than capable people applying would be be minimal as they would not be able to keep pace.

Not to say that there are no organisations that have units to meet diversity targets rather than apply meritocracy. There are where appearances is more important and sometimes there is backlash when good ones leave including good females.

What I did note is that the LGBT lobby and interest groups have usurped the diversity space from the gender interest groups.

Its many decades since the 60s where civil liberties were strongly fought for. By now, it should be accepted that we see individuals as individuals in their own person, with their own strengths, talents, weaknesses, not based on gender, ethnicity, faith, or sexual orientation, but I suppose certain sterotypes are not easy to overlook. With the exception of short bursts of physical strength, females do not lose out to males in any area. They can rise up to challenge their male counterparts in almost every aspect in life. This can be seen almost everywhere all over the world. However, it is society that still expects each person to fall into and live out and play their specific roles. This is why women still face and uphill path in areas traditionally reserved for men. It is time we move on and think as modern man should. Put the past in the past.

Cheers!

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last 30 tears 55% more girls born u see more girls stealung men jobs.

Improved in press buttons technology easy charbo can do and 30% cheaper.

Today chabor are cocksuckers get them pay you more by length. Longer kuku chiow pay more.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Cheers!

All stereotypes are based on facts or on past recurring events, so to discount them is just illogical. Females lose out to men in many areas. Its just not politically correct to say so. Just because its not PC to say it, does not mean it does not happen. Look at female dominated industries like lower echelon banking or flight attendants, etc. Look at this example. 2 flight attendants are recruited. One male and one female. The airlines spends the exact same amount of money to train them. They become flight crews. eventually, both will get married, (not to each other). But only one will get pregnant. Only one will have to take time off to have a baby and recover. Same for 2 bank tellers. One male and one female. Both send thru the same courses by their banks, both work the same hours and shifts. One will have children, the other will not. One will have to take time off to have the child, the other will not. One will miss work days because she has to stay home if the child is sick. It will be the female employee who misses work due to morning sickness or prenatal checks, etc If the female has a second child, then repeat the whole cycle again. If anything happens to the family, eg. parents deathly ill, etc. it will be the female employee who takes the time off, not the male.

At the end of the day the bottom line is that the employer spends the same amount of money and resources to train both the female and the male employees. But his cost and investment in them is depreciated over more hours and days of work in the male employee, and it takes him longer to get as much mileage from the female employee even though he has invested the same amount of money. In other words, he gets his money's worth out of the male employee over the female. Is this fair?. No, its not. But In our society, the female is the nurturer. And that also means she has to spend less time at work then her male counterpart, in order to fulfill these nurturing and childbearing instincts.

When you employ people then you would know. The absentee rate among females is higher then among male staff. I known one Indian staff of mine that couldn't come to work because she had a big fight with her BF the night before. these sort of issues do not affect a man. U get better mileage from a male over a female staff. this is a fact. No one will acknowledge it because its not PC.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. I felt that Google CEO could have said these things rather than just defend the diversity policy which many think rightly or wrongly as affirmative action. Business and entities that depend on high performing individuals such as Google to achieve cutting technological advances do not carry under-performers and less than capable people applying would be be minimal as they would not be able to keep pace.

Not to say that there are no organisations that have units to meet diversity targets rather than apply meritocracy. There are where appearances is more important and sometimes there is backlash when good ones leave including good females.

What I did note is that the LGBT lobby and interest groups have usurped the diversity space from the gender interest groups.

An example has to be made but there is no need to alienate your core performers by going into details. Let things ferment a little and the implications sink in for other detractors. I like your spirit scroobal but you would do poorly in the boardroom.