• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The power of Ho Ching and her Temasek.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even Minister without Portfolio and NTUC chief is powerless.

http://www.asiaone.com/singapore/grabnow-launches-lets-you-grab-cabs-streets-and-pay-app

GrabNow launches - lets you grab cabs off the streets, and pay via the app

SAMANTHA TAY
VULCAN POST Aug 07, 2017

You can now street-hail Grab vehicles.

End June, we speculated Grab was rolling out street-hailing with GrabBikes, though that turned out to be be false. But today, Grab Singapore launched GrabNow - a new service where commuters can street-hail taxis identified by a special GrabNow decal.

After boarding the vehicle, passengers then launch the Grab app and select the 'Standard Taxi' followed by the 'GrabNow' option.

Doing this will prompt passengers to pair their smartphones with their drivers' using either Google Nearby or a 6-digit code created on the driver's phone.

The entire process will take at most 10 seconds, and the ride will then be registered as a GrabTaxi ride. Rides can be paid for either with GrabPay, or by cash.

Through these rides, passengers also get to enjoy GrabRewards points, no surcharge or admin fees (rides are charged by taxi metre).

"At Grab, we're constantly innovating to provide the best end-to-end experience for our driver-partners and passengers," shared GrabTaxi Head Melvin Vu in the press release.

"With GrabNow, our customers can enjoy the best of both worlds - the immediacy of street hailing as well as all the benefits of the Grab app, including cashless payments".

Instant Pay-outs And Ride-bookings For Drivers

Taxi drivers still prefer cash fares because it's fuss-free, and it's hard to deny that many have expressed dissatisfaction with credit card payments due to the delayed pay-outs. As such, ride-hailing platforms end up being a turn-off for a taxi driver.

But the new GrabNow launch also comes with an Instant Cash Out feature, a first in the ride-hailing industry.

In the past, taxi drivers had to wait a day for the banks to process credit card payments. Grab's new Cash Out allows taxi drivers to literally cash out their from their banks' ATM, without waiting that 1 day.

This is because any fares collected by GrabPay is instantly transferred to the drivers' bank accounts.

A second point to note is the long taxi queues at taxi stands. One would think it an off-peak period, but in truth, these taxis are surrounded by small crowds staring at their phones.

By rolling out street-hailing, this 'lack' of passengers problem can also be solved, or at least, alleviated.

A Monopoly In The Making?

Street-hailing certainly solves the headache Grabbers like myself have when after we've made a booking, we see multiple taxis going by.

We immediately regret the booking, and wrestle with the idea of waiting for our driver or risking penalty points.

But in the larger picture, it also allows Grab to convert more of Singapore's taxis over to the green side. Could this possible be a Grab monopoly in the making, as Grab stamps its decal on our taxi fleets?

Only time will tell.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looks like uber is losing to grab.
Just goes to show if you got backing in sg you will make it. Ho Bee is one example

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly. Another company is Amazon. The son has a project that had engaged Amazon and the talk is that he will eventually move to Amazon. When LTA announced that it was illegal for taxis to be engaged by Amazon to do deliveries , 2 phone calls were made - one to the Taxi union MP in her husbands GRC and another to LTA. The very next day LTA did a massive U-turn that our NS trained 3-tonner drivers would be proud. On the same day, the Taxi MP made an announcement in support of relaxing the rules.

Just goes to show if you got backing in sg you will make it. Ho Bee is one example

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like FT angmoh said easy for FT US angmoh to do biz in Singapore.

Want Trump to consider Singapore style government.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkieland is not known as "the best place to do business" by the World Bank for no reason. We've got Temasek Chairwoman sleeping with the PM of singapore.. have you wondered about the amount of public funds spent on tracking down and arresting idiots who thrashed Obike bicycles?

In time, more start ups will be invited to be based here to make sinkieland a sterile petri dish for new innovation. And honestly I am quite happy that Temasek/EDB is taking this route to grow the economy instead of the FT policy .. The main thing now is for regulators to keep these superstar start ups from harming singaporeans (like the recent uber's coffin on wheels scandal)

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Uber got themselves to blame. Their algorithm sucks toes.
I'd taken uberpool in the past and a few times had the car turn around after fetching me to go pick up another, in the opposite direction.

Never had that with grab.

After i replaced my phone, i dont even bother installing uber.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Garnishing ur own taxi industry just so u can make 20 percent on a phone app is kinda stupid isn't it.unless grab has market presence worldwide.

Currently grab is only in 30 cities in six Asian countries.uber is in 600 cities worldwide.

In the world of business,it's either u be first and establish a major presence or u lose,UBEr will crush grab like an ant.just like I kill hundreds of ants everyday,unless the ant is too small to be noticed.

So far the biggest beneficiary of economy sharing are the yalams,I see many yalams with many nice toyotas nowadays at kallang KFC with their minahs.....millions of wealth from taxi companies is being disrupted and trickling down to

Last edited: