Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Halimah Yacob announces bid to be Singapore's next President" - Channel NewsAsia

My Reputation Points: 2307 / Power: 8

Default Re: "Halimah Yacob announces bid to be Singapore's next President" - Channel NewsAsia

Quote Originally Posted by fupikee View Post
    Hopefully not, unless pappies are really go gian png to declare all other applicants invalid.

What ever, NO NO NO...to a kerling pertending to be mud....
    If it's not a walk over..will halimah quit her comfy job for a risk?

My Reputation Points: 415 / Power: 0

Default Re: "Halimah Yacob announces bid to be Singapore's next President" - Channel NewsAsia

Quote Originally Posted by flatearther View Post
    "Speaker of Parliament Halimah Yacob to run for President in coming election" - The Straits Times
    straitstimes.com/politics/speaker-of-parliament-halimah-yacob-to-run-for-president-in-coming-election
    (by Tham Yuen-C, Assistant Political Editor)

Madam Halimah also said she wants to continue living in her flat even if she becomes president, unless there are security concerns.
    I wonder if it's possible that there will be no "security concerns".

My Reputation Points: 341 / Power: 0

This is definitely a cockup by the PAP. Why the fuck will u install someone as President based on the race?
    PM Lee Kuan Yew: “Whoever governs Singapore must have that iron in him. Or give it up. This is not a game of cards. This is your life and mine. I’ve spent a whole lifetime building this and as long as I’m in charge, nobody is going to knock it down.”
    #Hatersgonnahate

My Reputation Points: 2894 / Power: 10

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hypocrite View Post
    the first time EP got election, a non contesting candidate get 40%, the second EP got election, pap endorsed candidate kfc, won by only 7k+ votes. No way papigs will make the same mistake again. Confirm and chop walkover.
    FTrashs are killing Singaporeans.......

Precision, Speed, Accuracy

My Reputation Points: 341 / Power: 0

Just NTUC union itself how many votes in the bag liao. No fucking way for those 2 other clowns to win. Looking at all the candidates, it's easy to say .... whoever wins, we lose.
    PM Lee Kuan Yew: “Whoever governs Singapore must have that iron in him. Or give it up. This is not a game of cards. This is your life and mine. I’ve spent a whole lifetime building this and as long as I’m in charge, nobody is going to knock it down.”
    #Hatersgonnahate

My Reputation Points: 86 / Power: 0

Quote Originally Posted by nayr69sg View Post
    The chips are down. It's over to sinkies now.

My guess is they guai guai vote for Halimah. LOL!!!!!! Prove me wrong and show some balls though!
    ballz............. this pundek has no shAME AT ALL

Quote Originally Posted by steffychun View Post
    scully take upskirt picture how?
    lens will crack.........

Quote Originally Posted by halsey02 View Post
    Only stupid Singaporeans, believe in all these craps!. I will not vote for this "wayang"...one minute I may run, next minute maybe..& you can guess...is she running...my goodness..the 70% must be the stupidest people on this earth...paying millions for another "monkey".

I am not voting for her, nor any that is connected associated or ...to the PAP!
    me too n my famileeeee

india got dalit prez... must we hv one too?
    here cumes islamic republic of singapoor

My Reputation Points: 298 / Power: 0

If scully she no win and no become Prez...then can come back to be Speakeress?

My Reputation Points: 13416 / Power: 13

If it was possible, she wouldn't have used it as a reason.

Even if it's not a walkover and she loses, she will be offered something a few months later. LHL would not want to risk annoying a large portion of the electorate.

From Yahoo news

PM Lee Hsien Loong pays tribute to Halimah Yacob, says President must be 'non-partisan'

Former Speaker of Parliament and Marsiling-Yew Tee Member of Parliament Halimah Yacob has been a “consistent and fearless voice” in the unions, the Parliament and the Government, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Monday (7 August) as he accepted her resignation as MP and from the People’s Action Party.

Lee also reminded the 62-year-old, “The President’s role requires her to be non-partisan and above politics, working with the government but making independent judgements when she exercises her custodial powers, such as when deciding on reserves and key appointments.

“I have no doubt that you will be able to play this different Constitutional role well.”

Halimah announced her bid for the presidency on Sunday night (6 August), submitting her resignation letters to PM Lee, the Clerk of Parliament and Deputy Speaker Charles Chong on Monday.

In a letter to Halimah, PM Lee recalled that they had first met 20 years ago, when she was a “well-respected unionist”. In 2001, when she was elected as an MP in Jurong GRC, she won over residents of all races and ages with her “sincerity, warmth and effectiveness”.

He noted, “Marsiling residents speak of you warmly as a humble, hardworking and approachable MP who goes the extra mile to listen to them and get things done.”

During her time in Cabinet, Lee noted that Halimah had an “independent view” and was not afraid to argue her case, which often caused her colleagues to rethink their positions.

As Speaker of Parliament, a role she took up in 2013, Halimah has been “fair to all MPs, encouraging vigorous debates…while ensuring decorum and order”, said Lee.

Deputy Speaker Charles Chong will serve as Acting Speaker until a new Speaker is elected by Parliament. Lee also said that he would soon appoint replacements for Halimah in her Marsiling ward, including a grassroots advisor to succeed her.

My Reputation Points: 2501 / Power: 13

Not walkover...it is CROSSOVER...another million dollars crossover project..

My Reputation Points: 772 / Power: 10

A non partisan person is one who has never being a member of ANY political party-how can a person who has being a member of a particular political party for at least 16 years, , run for elections under its banner and was appointed to office by the political party be non-partisan?

Definition of nonpartisan: free from party affiliation, bias, or designation
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nonpartisan
    "The Taiwanese are ruthless, Hong Kongers are shameless and Singaporeans are ignorant."

My Reputation Points: 2771 / Power: 4

Quote Originally Posted by borom View Post
    A non partisan person is one who has never being a member of ANY political party-how can a person who has being a member of a particular political party for at least 16 years, , run for elections under its banner and was appointed to office by the political party be non-partisan?

Definition of nonpartisan: free from party affiliation, bias, or designation
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nonpartisan
    Ong Teng Cheong was pretty non-partisan despite running for president shortly after quitting PAP.
    Do something meaningful. Join the grassroots. Peoples' Association all the way!

My Reputation Points: 657 / Power: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Scrooball (clone) View Post
    Just NTUC union itself how many votes in the bag liao. No fucking way for those 2 other clowns to win. Looking at all the candidates, it's easy to say .... whoever wins, we lose.
    Both are very successful businessmen, not clowns you fucking pap dog. So rest assured they would be disqualified.

And if there were no tan jee say and tan cheng bok, tan kin lian in a straight fight would have a real chance of beating tony tan.

My Reputation Points: 10 / Power: 0

Quote Originally Posted by halsey02 View Post
    Not walkover...it is CROSSOVER...another million dollars crossover project..

sometimes you wonder how much public funds and time wasted on this irrelevant election,
    wtf, NOTHING will change, sinkies will keep getting screwed
    probably to distract the population from the real problems like overcrowding and locals unemployment and high cost of living

My Reputation Points: 381 / Power: 0

like who wants to bonk her?
    The Worker's Party is the best opposition party.

My Reputation Points: 2820 / Power: 10

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTan View Post
    Ong Teng Cheong was pretty non-partisan despite running for president shortly after quitting PAP.

OTC had an axe to grind against the PAP, maybe he was upset being passed over for the PM position back then.

Thread Information