Thread: Horrific Murder but life sentence

My Reputation Points: 689 / Power: 0

Default Horrific Murder but life sentence

I wonder if AG will appeal. All the elements from pre-meditation, planning and the act itself. It was indeed a savage murder.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...wifes-ex-lover
    Businessman sentenced to life in jail for murdering wife's ex-lover

Selina LumLaw Correspondent
    SINGAPORE - A businessman who murdered his wife's former lover was sentenced to life imprisonment by the High Court on Friday (Aug 4).

Chia Kee Chen, 57, was found guilty in January of forcing the victim, material analyst Dexmon Chua Yizhi, 37, into the back of a van and assaulting him between Dec 28 and Dec 29, 2013. He had an accomplice, Indonesian Febri Irwansyah Djatmiko, who fled the country.

A second accomplice, Chua Leong Aik, drove the van. He is serving a five-year term.

On Friday, Justice Choo Han Teck said although Chia had the motive and intention to kill, it is possible Febri may have inflicted the fatal blow.

Chia's lawyer Anand Nalachandran told reporters that his client was relieved that he escaped the gallows.

Last month, prosecutors asked that Chia be given the death penalty for the "savage" and "cruel" killing. The victim was tied up and thrown into the back of the van, and was battered so viciously that almost every bone in his face was fractured.

Chia found out about his wife's extramarital affair in November 2012. The victim had made police reports about Chia making threatening phone calls to him and stalking him.

On the day of the murder, Chia attended a wedding lunch with his family and had a nap before picking up the borrowed van. He then calmly waited for Mr Chua to show up at a carpark in Choa Chu Kang, where the victim lived.

After dumping his body at a military live-firing area in Lim Chu Kang, Chia cleaned the van, and then went to Malaysia for a holiday with his family.

During the trial, Chia said he and his accomplices were trying to retrieve from the victim a thumb drive containing video footage of his wife having sex. He also tried to downplay his role in the murder and pinned the blame on a man named "Ali".

The defence lawyer asked that Chia be given life imprisonment, saying there were contradictions between the accounts of Febri and Chua Leong Aik.

Febri gave his version of events to the Indonesian police, and this was submitted during the trial.

Mr Nalachandran argued that the plan was to only abduct the victim, and there was no conclusive evidence that Chia had any plan to commit murder.

My Reputation Points: 1591 / Power: 2

Default Re: Horrific Murder but life sentence

Life imprisonment is worse than death.

Wanted : Sam Leong
    NRIC: S1599536-L
    DOB: 25 May 66
    Last known address:Rented Room in Bedok South
    Please note that this Moniker is no longer Persian
    I am now of Burmese descent

My Reputation Points: 1066 / Power: 4

his body may be in jail but his mind can be free, if he knows how.
    Quote Originally Posted by HK14K View Post
    No worries, the "Hero & Coward" thread will come but we should concentrate first on the nation hottest issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerlyn View Post
    shameful and despicable scum PAP regime,
    a small island with millions of salary for PAP cronies from tax payers fund and yet have many hottest issues?

only people who receive some scum benefits from shameful and despicable PAP regime cronies would agree your statement

In Singapore you are safe, there is regular employment - laundry, bakery, electronics assembly, rosewood furniture etc. You will be occupied and there is no wife to nag at you. All meals guaranteed plus boarding. Can buy additional food such as sardines etc to supplement your meals.

You ask me, some of our retirees worry each day when their savings are going to run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    Life imprisonment is worse than death.

My Reputation Points: 341 / Power: 0

Death is better than life imprisonment for sure. Unlike countries like UK or US, where u can probably get released in 20 years, life is really life in Singapore prisons.
    PM Lee Kuan Yew: “Whoever governs Singapore must have that iron in him. Or give it up. This is not a game of cards. This is your life and mine. I’ve spent a whole lifetime building this and as long as I’m in charge, nobody is going to knock it down.”
    #Hatersgonnahate

My Reputation Points: 1591 / Power: 2

Quote Originally Posted by scroobal View Post
    In Singapore you are safe, there is regular employment - laundry, bakery, electronics assembly, rosewood furniture etc. You will be occupied and there is no wife to nag at you. All meals guaranteed plus boarding. Can buy additional food such as sardines etc to supplement your meals.

You ask me, some of our retirees worry each day when their savings are going to run out.
    There is something about lack of freedom that screws with the head regardless of the surroundings and the comforts.

My good mate's son was sentenced to 8 months of home detention here in NZ. He was electronically monitored and if he went 6 metres beyond the house it would set off an alarm.

He went crazy after 5 months and needed psychiatric care despite the fact that he could watch TV, order a pizza, have friends over for lunch/dinner etc.

Just the fact that he could not leave the 4 walls of the house he was in was enough to mess up his mind.

A gilded cage still feels very much like a cage.

Wanted : Sam Leong
    NRIC: S1599536-L
    DOB: 25 May 66
    Last known address:Rented Room in Bedok South
    Please note that this Moniker is no longer Persian
    I am now of Burmese descent

Singapore, max is 21 years, no such thing as life imprisonment despite the term. Most of the time realised early under MHA special license.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrooball (clone) View Post
    Death is better than life imprisonment for sure. Unlike countries like UK or US, where u can probably get released in 20 years, life is really life in Singapore prisons.

You do have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Leongsam View Post
    There is something about lack of freedom that screws with the head regardless of the surroundings and the comforts.

My good mate's son was sentenced to 8 months of home detention here in NZ. He was electronically monitored and if he went 6 metres beyond the house it would set off an alarm.

He went crazy after 5 months and needed psychiatric care despite the fact that he could watch TV, order a pizza, have friends over for lunch/dinner etc.

Just the fact that he could not leave the 4 walls of the house he was in was enough to mess up his mind.

A gilded cage still feels very much like a cage.

My Reputation Points: 529 / Power: 0

Singapore, max is 21 years, no such thing as life imprisonment despite the term. Most of the time realised early under MHA special license.
    http://ink.library.smu.edu.sg/sol_research_smu/33/

My Reputation Points: 1066 / Power: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Debonerman View Post
    This is all credited to Young Pangsai
    Quote Originally Posted by HK14K View Post
    No worries, the "Hero & Coward" thread will come but we should concentrate first on the nation hottest issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerlyn View Post
    shameful and despicable scum PAP regime,
    a small island with millions of salary for PAP cronies from tax payers fund and yet have many hottest issues?

only people who receive some scum benefits from shameful and despicable PAP regime cronies would agree your statement

Thanks, was not aware of it. I am sure it will commutated as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Debonerman View Post

My Reputation Points: 152 / Power: 0

The wife does not belong to the husband. She is free to screw anyone she likes. But of course, in a normal marriage, this does not happen. So why must the lover be killed when he was just doing the husband a favour.
    Last edited by syed putra; 04-08-2017 at 08:35 AM.

My Reputation Points: 144 / Power: 0

Death sentence, knowing you going to be hang in a 1yr is worse than life, counting the days is daily nightmare.This chap was relief when given life.

My Reputation Points: 981 / Power: 10

i believe there is a review period after say, 20 years for possible remission or release. Otherwise, if imprisonment for the rest of his natural life, its more taxing on taxpayers having to feed him.

My Reputation Points: 249 / Power: 0

Can surf Sammyboy or not ?

I might volunteer to go in if they allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonut View Post
    Can surf Sammyboy or not ?

In the past, they do not wait for 20years. After 2/3rd, they will consider you for release under license. They will arrange job etc. Back in if you fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by red amoeba View Post
    i believe there is a review period after say, 20 years for possible remission or release. Otherwise, if imprisonment for the rest of his natural life, its more taxing on taxpayers having to feed him.

My Reputation Points: 808 / Power: 7

RELEASED
    versus
    "realised" or realized

Thread Information