• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Got half Indian President, now half Indian SAF Family!

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/r...les/features/2017/aug17_cs.html#Aloveoffamily

A love of family
As a trainer of Armour Officers, 2nd Warrant Officer (2WO) Veera Raj has been trained for combat,
live firing and tank operations. More interestingly, the Army also trained him for a challenge every married man faces — meeting his in-laws.

Although the 35-year-old only celebrated Chinese New Year for the first time with his wife’s family
two years ago, “things like giving mandarin oranges and saying lo hei phrases when you pour this and
pour that” were all quite familiar to him.

“In the Army, you also have Chinese New Year celebrations and other festive events where you get to learn about different cultures,” explained 2WO Veera.

Although it was out of the ordinary for his in-laws to welcome an Indian into their family, they were eager to meet him, said his wife Ms Shirley Yan, 37, who is an Indonesian Chinese turned Singaporean.

“They went, ‘Finally!’” the communications manager said. “One of my uncles calls him Obama, and they said, ‘Obama 终于来了’ (which means “Obama has finally arrived” in Mandarin).”

True to their (mixed) roots

The Chinese-Indian couple and their two daughters sometimes get curious stares from strangers who encounter them.

The Veeras are close to both sides of the family, celebrating both Chinese New Year and Deepavali.
“It doesn’t bother us and the girls quite like the attention,” said Ms Yan. “Even in kindergarten they know about different races and they are rather proud to be different.”

The parents keep their girls, Adrianna, 7, and Makayla, 5, close to both sides of the family. Chinese New Year is a big family affair at Ms Yan’s hometown in Jakarta, while the girls double their ang pows (red packets) with the red or purple ones they receive during Deepavali.

The children are registered as Indian in race, but they study Mandarin as their mother tongue.

Said 2WO Veera: “I took Malay in school, so I didn’t learn my own mother tongue. We thought it would be better for them to learn Mandarin so my wife could teach them.”

His own family comes from different backgrounds: his father is Tamil while his mother Punjabi, so they speak different dialects.

In fact, 2WO Veera has a decent understanding of Mandarin, which he picked up through interactions with his Armour mates.

“When my wife is conversing with her mum, I actually understand the conversation. I’ll just listen. Sometimes I’ll add my own two cents’ worth in English!”

Celebrating as a family

While 2WO Veera is no stranger to the NDP — he commanded the Presidential Lance Guard in 2007 and was part of the Show committee for the SG50 celebrations — it is his first NDP with the family that he remembers most fondly.

TThe family celebrated NDP at the National Stadium for the first time last year.
The family of four first celebrated National Day together at the National Stadium last year.

“It’s good to celebrate the nation’s birthday, and watching the parade is also a good time for family bonding,” said 2WO Veera.

“I think it’s also important that (the kids) know what their country is all about and that we need to love our country,” added Mdm Yan.

“When you ask me where I’m from, the first thing I say is Singapore — it’s a sense of pride and belonging.”

The young girls also understand that their father is a soldier who defends the country.

“They know ‘bad people’ are real because they always ask if Daddy is out there to protect us from
‘bad people’”, said Ms Yan. “They are proud that their dad is doing something really important for our country and our family.”

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
So father Indian but family Chinese huh. Very interesting timing huh this article. So Nicole Seah she paranakan can be consider Malay or not? :confused:

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
So father Indian but family Chinese huh. Very interesting timing huh this article. So Nicole Seah she paranakan can be consider Malay or not? :confused:

Can, can of course can....that is, provided....

1 She can be qualified by the committee;
2 She got shlonged by a m&d and agreed to be the first wife; henceforth living happily with her minah sisters in same household;

Anyone also can, provided pappies said so....can or not???:(

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Key take away: his daughters are Indian.

Pukimah is Indian or Malay? Ptui!

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor chap, does not even known the difference between Dravidians and Aryans. I could be wrong but he does not have any features that links him to Punjabis. More a South Indian.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor chap, does not even known the difference between Dravidians and Aryans. I could be wrong but he does not have any features that links him to Punjabis. More a South Indian.

As I understand, with the influx of more representation of "Indians", in particular from the Northern states, mixed-marriages between local singkie Tamils and Punjabis are even more remote now (Punjabi girls being the much sought after trophies of yesteryear). Instead, there is an increase in male Tamil- female Pinoy marriages. That is the next wave of mixed-marriages - and dont be surprised when the Tamil boy you meet in 20 years time claims he is half Spanish instead because kabayans do like claiming they have Spanish ancestry.

So it will not surprise me if our WO2 Veera Raj here is probably the last of his kind for such mixes. And yes he is distinctly South Indian in appearance but he does have the atypical deep-set Punjabi eyes.

please post any photo of this individual

Here you go:

ScreenShot2017-08-03at10.15.19PM.png

ScreenShot2017-08-03at10.15.30PM.png

Last edited: