• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Shooting oneself in the foot: PAP’s screw up of the reserve elections for EP

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The point is, I do not see the need for an EP..especially the candidates are always "their own people", it is an insult to our intelligence....as usual, I will spoil the vote.:p

It's a tough one, I agree.

On the one hand, spoiling your vote is a protest against the entire EP wayang kulit. If enough people spoil their votes, say 30%, it would be an international blot of shame on the PAP's reputation. Personally I think the EP is a sham, and that we should revert to the appointed presidency.

On the other hand, a vote for the non-PAP-sanctioned candidate is not a protest against the EP per se, but a vote against PAP – similar to a vote for an opposition candidate in the GE. This can also be seen as the electorate's repudiation of the PAP and a question mark on its mandate.

The problem lies in the numbers. If the anti-PAP voters are further split in two camps – one spoiling vote, the other voting 'oppo' candidate – then we may end up neither here nor there: too few spoilt votes to send a strong anti-EP message, and too few 'oppo' votes to prevent the PAP candidate from romping home comfortably.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal

On the one hand, spoiling your vote is a protest against the entire EP wayang kulit. If enough people spoil their votes, say 30%, it would be an international blot of shame on the PAP's reputation. Personally I think the EP is a sham, and that we should revert to the appointed presidency.

On the other hand, a vote for the non-PAP-sanctioned candidate is not a protest against the EP per se, but a vote against PAP – similar to a vote for an opposition candidate in the GE. This can also be seen as the electorate's repudiation of the PAP and a question mark on its mandate.

The problem lies in the numbers. If the anti-PAP voters are further split in two camps – one spoiling vote, the other voting 'oppo' candidate – then we may end up neither here nor there: too few spoilt votes to send a strong anti-EP message, and too few 'oppo' votes to prevent the PAP candidate from romping home comfortably.

I seriously think that there will be a "no contest".

Elections is next month and up to now, no news about any other likely candidates except Halimah.

No chance to protest against this reserved EP so lan lan must just eat shit.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

" little drops of water, make the ocean mighty"...if everyone, were take that fatalist view of..." what can we do or it is no use"...we might as well...stay at home & don't go & poll! let them, "wayang" all they like..for the results...is predictable...like the current one...the " jaga daughter" will get the million dollar pay...

But..."little drops of water....":rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree, I did not consider the devious PAP running 2 of their own until you mentioned it.

My stand:

If one candidate is 'PAP-approved', and the other isn't, vote for the other candidate.

If both are PAP-approved, say Halimah & Zainal Abidin, or Halimah & Tarmugi, I'll spoil my vote.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
" little drops of water, make the ocean mighty"...if everyone, were take that fatalist view of..." what can we do or it is no use"...we might as well...stay at home & don't go & poll! let them, "wayang" all they like..for the results...is predictable...like the current one...the " jaga daughter" will get the million dollar pay...

But..."little drops of water....":rolleyes:

are you referring to 3 drops of cum that will becum an ocean?

IMG_0026.JPG

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to do with with AG bro. They had used the same definition for race that was enacted for the first GRC elections in 1988. At that time, no internet. None of the "Malay" PAP MPs are pure Malays including Yaacob. Except for Tarmuggi, all DKK.

Since it was the previous AG who crafted this, me thinks it looks even better for the PAP to blame him. Nothing sweeter than blaming the previous guy. Very PAP style.. look at Khaw blaming Liu Tuck Yew. Lucien can than take the credit for setting things right haha. Win Liao lor!

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Better start preparing your pencils. Little bird told me there will be erection. Meaning Halimah plus another PAP endorsed scape goat is going to fight it out.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
That's the trouble when you play around with racial and ethnic definitions for political expediency.

I know quite a few Malay Christian converts. One married my wife's cousin and is ostracized by his community. He's Malay through and through, speaks the language, plays the guitar, but would fail the EP criteria of acceptance by the Malay community.

Another guy I know, Ahmad Mattar's nephew, gave up his religion, is now a free thinker, and married an Indonesian Christian. He would not qualify either.

The whole EP is a farce, and has brought the august presidential office into disrepute.

I've said it before: just go back to the appointed presidential system. The dignity of the office would be preserved, as would the constitution, and Singaporeans would be spared the histrionics of an anthropological-socio-cultural-linguistic-theological debate on what makes a Malay.

The only reason they're not going back to an appointed presidency is that it would be a slap on old fart's face, since EP was his idea. But is saving his legacy worth the cost?

I know several Malay girls that married angmos, and of course, Yaacob himself married an angmo woman from Puerto Rico. Are their offsprings then considered Malays even though they will not look like one? This poorly worded and hastily thought out law has really opened the Pandora's box on this whole thing. When the presidential selection committee approves halimah to run, this thing about her malayness will always be hanging over her head. The citizens of singapore, many like me, have a sense of disquiet about this. we never had a racial issue before. Those born in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, etc got along fine with their neighbours. Many have malay friends and malays had chinese friends. People really did not view race as an issue anymore. I mean there are many interracial marriages. The introduction of massive numbers of FT from China and India have upset this harmony. These people don't associate with others not from their home towns or countries, nor will they intermarry. And now, on top of this, to introduce a racially and ethnically divisive law like this amendment to the EP is just plain stupid. This PAP fuckers will do anything to stay in power, even at the expense of racial harmony in this country.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I seriously think that there will be a "no contest".

Elections is next month and up to now, no news about any other likely candidates except Halimah.

No chance to protest against this reserved EP so lan lan must just eat shit.

The new amendments are written in such a way as to exclude all other non PAP sanctioned candidates. I mean, how many Malays you know run an enterprise with paid up shareholder's equity of $500 million? This amendment makes only those malays already in high govt positions the only eligible ones.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Queen Rania of Jordan is a full-blooded Arab, born of Palestinian parents in Kuwait. She did work for Citibank before her marriage though.
maybe he was referring to the second wife of King Hussein, the father of the current monarch of Jordan. She was an angmo, a Brit if I recall.

LionJah

Alfrescian
Loyal
This bumbclaat election a fuckery to rassclaat let me tell unnu dis a fuck up mek Singapore look bad enuh. Dem needfi suck out dem madda.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know several Malay girls that married angmos, and of course, Yaacob himself married an angmo woman from Puerto Rico. Are their offsprings then considered Malays even though they will not look like one? This poorly worded and hastily thought out law has really opened the Pandora's box on this whole thing. When the presidential selection committee approves halimah to run, this thing about her malayness will always be hanging over her head. The citizens of singapore, many like me, have a sense of disquiet about this. we never had a racial issue before. Those born in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, etc got along fine with their neighbours. Many have malay friends and malays had chinese friends. People really did not view race as an issue anymore. I mean there are many interracial marriages. The introduction of massive numbers of FT from China and India have upset this harmony. These people don't associate with others not from their home towns or countries, nor will they intermarry. And now, on top of this, to introduce a racially and ethnically divisive law like this amendment to the EP is just plain stupid. This PAP fuckers will do anything to stay in power, even at the expense of racial harmony in this country.

Agree. Growing up in the '60s and '70s we never really had a racial problem with our schoolmates, neighbours or colleagues. The heightened inter-ethnic consciousness and tensions began from the late '70s onwards with racially divisive policies like the Speak Mandarin Campaign, racial self-help groups, HDB quotas and the GRC system (ostensibly to ensure minority representation, which we know is bullshit). Many minorities, mainly the Indians and Eurasians, migrated to Aus and NZ during this period.

Then came the influx of huge numbers of immigrants from the late '90s onwards (more than a million in 10 years), which led to a siege mentality in the various local ethnic groups, most poignantly the Malays. The rise in Islamic fundamentalism and the Arabisation of Islam worldwide in the wake of the 2 Iraqi wars, the Israeli-Palestinian standoff and 9/11 further made the Muslim community in this region close in on themselves, with increasing outward show of piety and religiosity.

And now we have this fucked-up reserved minority EP where the govt has lost even the ability to count on the fingers of one hand how many elected presidential terms we've had, not to mention figure out what 'elected' means.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is clear they will do ANYTHING to maintain their hold. LKY was the same but at least he kicked ass within the party to get things done. This lot allows growing mediocrity and incompetence.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Agree. Growing up in the '60s and '70s we never really had a racial problem with our schoolmates, neighbours or colleagues. The heightened inter-ethnic consciousness and tensions began from the late '70s onwards with racially divisive policies like the Speak Mandarin Campaign, racial self-help groups, HDB quotas and the GRC system (ostensibly to ensure minority representation, which we know is bullshit). Many minorities, mainly the Indians and Eurasians, migrated to Aus and NZ during this period.

Then came the influx of huge numbers of immigrants from the late '90s onwards (more than a million in 10 years), which led to a siege mentality in the various local ethnic groups, most poignantly the Malays. The rise in Islamic fundamentalism and the Arabisation of Islam worldwide in the wake of the 2 Iraqi wars, the Israeli-Palestinian standoff and 9/11 further made the Muslim community in this region close in on themselves, with increasing outward show of piety and religiosity.

And now we have this fucked-up reserved minority EP where the govt has lost even the ability to count on the fingers of one hand how many elected presidential terms we've had, not to mention figure out what 'elected' means.

Yes, absolutely. Every singaporean will tell you that one of the main things that helped erased racial and religious barriers within the society was the implementation of National Service. The Standard Obstacle Course does not discriminate Regardless of race, religion, and colour. Everyone suffers BMT the same and everyone goes thru the same hardship, trial and tribulation. NS trains all ethnic groups to work together as a team. Many peng kias who have never mixed with Indians or malays suddenly found themselves doing so. Living and training together engendered friendships and mutual understanding and respect.

By not requiring new PRs and citizens to do NS was a big mistake. the PAP knew that if they required this, no one would take up the PR or citizenship and that they would fail to meet their goal of new citizens. But if PRs and citizens went thru NS, they would be much better integrated into singapore society. There are now racial enclaves all over the island, many created by new citizens. Now these stupid PAP policies have created a level of mistrust and suspicion again, where there once was non. when I see a chinese on the streets of singapore, I make sure to determine where they are from first. that dictates how I deal with them and treat them. what an absurd thing to do in your own country. Same for Indians that I come across. I am sure other singaporeans of the Malay or Indian race make sure the chinese in front of them is from singapore and not China, or else they treat them differently like me. How the fuck did it come to this? we never had an issue at all before.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually who cares its half malaya but we dislike that cancer man doing to destroy our mutli-racial love for each other. Never hv we see colour skin or their language. In SAF we train as one Singapore defend this tiny dot.

Lhl must resign before he cause more lateral damage to the harmony of us live as one citzen of Singapore.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes indeed yellow. How many terms before reserve election also cannot count properly, one Malay also cannot find to run for election tells you how low far standards have fallen with Loong at the helm. Totally cannot make it! :mad:

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes indeed yellow. How many terms before reserve election also cannot count properly, one Malay also cannot find to run for election tells you how low far standards have fallen with Loong at the helm. Totally cannot make it! :mad:

need to find peenoise, etc too............now growing minority