• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious The Rise and Rise of Ong Ye Kung - and the fall of Chan Chun Sing?

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't believe that this has been discussed yet but interesting twist of fate for CCS - some kakis reckoned it was due to his boo-booing the framing of the question on the EP to the AG's Chambers that potentially has led to him tipping over and commence his almost certain fall from grace - OYK is proving to be quite the comeback kid - the recent SCMP article thrust the spotlight onto him again and so soon thereafter he gets this nugget....let's see what the HSK faction do next....

Ong Ye Kung takes over as head of Chinese Community Liaison Group from Chan Chun Sing

ScreenShot2017-08-01at10.13.39PM.png

Minister for Education (Higher Education and Skills) Ong Ye Kung is the new head of a group tasked with strengthening relations between the Government and the Chinese community, and boosting cooperation among various Chinese groups.

He takes over from Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Chan Chun Sing as chairman of the Chinese Community Liaison Group (CCLG) from today.

The Prime Minister's Office announced Mr Ong's appointment by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in a statement yesterday, saying: "PM Lee is confident that under Mr Ong's leadership, the CCLG will continue to deepen ties between the Government and the Chinese community."

Mr Ong has been a group member since 2015, and is actively involved with Chinese groups, particularly in the media, arts and cultural sectors. The PMO said: "Being Minister for Education, Mr Ong will be able to engage educators on ways to strengthen the Singapore Chinese identity in our multiracial context."

The CCLG was set up in 2000 and comprises office-holders and People's Action Party MPs. Mr Chan had been head since 2014, when he took over from Health Minister Gan Kim Yong, who helmed it from 2006.

Mr Chan will remain adviser to the group. The PMO said he did much to deepen and expand its engagement with the community, and broadened its reach beyond clan and business groups to include media, sports, arts and cultural ones. "He has canvassed the community leaders' feedback and concerns, worked with them on government programmes and explained these initiatives to the Chinese ground."

"PM Lee thanks Mr Chan for his contributions in CCLG," it added.

Mr Chan said on Facebook he was grateful to group members and Chinese community leaders and members "for their advice, insights and collaboration that have enabled our efforts to strengthen the greater Chinese community."

"This is a journey I continue to be committed to as an adviser. I wish Ye Kung the best in his chairmanship and I look forward to the CCLG members and the Chinese community lending him the strong support that I have benefitted from."

The Singapore Federation of Chinese Clan Associations thanked Mr Chan for his dedication and contributions to the community. Its president Chua Thian Poh said it was confident Mr Ong would lead the group to a new level.

Throwback to OYK's comments in 2015:

Ong Ye Kung: Who says I’m a failure?

Bertha Henson
by Bertha Henson

MR ONG Ye Kung gave a wry smile. Why all these questions posed to him about throwing his hat into the electoral ring a second time? It’s odd, he said, that second-timers have to justify their re-entry into politics when it should be the best indication of their willingness to serve.

That’s because, I said, the whispering will go something like this: This Ong Ye Kung hor… Lost in Aljunied and then moved out to Sembawang where it’s safe with Khaw Boon Wan there. Then he joined NTUC and then got out to a nice cushy job in Keppel. Where got “staying power”? (By the way, his name is pronounced Yi Kang.)

He acknowledged that there would be such whispers. Even some residents in Aljunied GRC had taunted him for hanging around the ward after the People’s Action Party lost the GRC in the last election. Clearly, Mr Ong was prepared for these questions. And going by his answers, you could say he was “collecting” different types of experiences before going for Round 2 in this GE.

“I want to stay on in politics and strive to make sure that I get elected. I have stayed on this path. Why am I contesting this year otherwise?”

It was a drizzly Tuesday morning and we were having coffee in Simpang Bedok. Like most politicians, he had asked to preview the questions for the interview in advance. Unlike most politicians, he didn’t reply via email. He agreed to a face-to-face interview which ranged over the impact of the PAP loss of Aljunied on him, the changes the PAP needed to go through to maintain its relationship with voters and how meritocracy as practised in Singapore needed a re-think. He was recognised by the breakfast crowd. A coffeeshop uncle came up to shake his hand. A couple of others nodded at him.

On why he left Aljunied GRC: He didn’t leave it, he said, he was “re-deployed”. Hmm, he didn’t ask to stay on as adviser of the Kaki Bukit community groups? He merely reiterated his answer. That he was playing by the rules of the team. The team would decide who was best needed where. He gave a definite answer on where he would be standing: Sembawang GRC, a place which he describes as having “a lot of soul” and a model of what Singapore might be in the future – a preservation of the old while constructing the new.

On why he left NTUC: He was seconded to the NTUC while he was a civil servant and stayed on as its Deputy Secretary-General for two years after the 2011 GE. He left because he wanted private sector experience after his stint in the labour movement and his start in the civil service. In fact, he said being at a loose end after the polls gave him a sense of “freedom” to do as he wanted.

He recalled the culture shock he experienced on moving into the labour movement after such a long stint in the civil service where the focus was on processes and procedures. Former NTUC chief Lim Boon Heng had told him that in the union, “people don’t care what you know, they want to know that you care”.

“Relationships trumps everything. It’s about how you relate to people. It was humbling to walk into a factory or bus interchange and having to face angry workers and bus drivers. There were shouting matches and some times you get shouted at,” he said recalling the struggles to get the salaries of bus drivers raised.

Change from within

When Mr Ong was introduced as a candidate in 2011, he was tipped as a member of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s A-team which will form the core of the next leadership, along with ministers Lawrence Wong, Chan Chun Sing, Heng Swee Keat and Tan Chuan-Jin. A high-flying civil servant who is married with two daughters, he was a former principal private secretary to the PM and had headed the Workforce Development Agency. His secondment to the NTUC, had looked like the PAP’s grooming process. He left the civil service to stand for election.

The Aljunied results were a jolt, he said. It taught him that “nothing should be taken for granted”. Which was why he thinks speculation about “risky” or “safe” seats were meaningless, as the voters had demonstrated when they ditched two Ministers and a senior Minister of State. That was how he skillfully skirted over questions on what PAP Organising Secretary Ng Eng Hen had said about not risking ministers and those with ministerial potential in unsafe wards.

Wasn’t that why he was moved out of Aljunied? His reply: “Let’s focus on the constituency first.”

He is a joy to speak to. He doesn’t mind the same questions repeated in different ways; he knows what you are up to. He adds little details and anecdotes to his answers – unasked. Twice, he mentioned his father, Mr Ong Lian Teng, a former Barisan Sosialis MP who walked out of Parliament in 1966, especially when talking about policy changes and the “interesting times” then – and now.

He was pressed for his views on the PAP, which he said is still the best party to lead the country forward.

Has voter sentiment changed since the last GE?

“No, they remain the same. They still don’t want a dominant political party in power. They want more consultation even as they miss Lee Kuan Yew,” he said. The PAP needs to recognise this mainstream feeling and come up with a changed agenda or “risk being changed from without”.

So, has the PAP changed?

“Somewhat. Policies have moved to the left, with the Pioneer Generation package and so forth. There are infrastructure investments and we are now more discerning about the type of foreign workers we need.”

Is there anything else that needs changing?

He took a bit of time to answer this question. Then he referred to the speech made by Raffles Institution principal Chan Poh Meng recently warning his students against becoming insular as a result of the system of meritocracy which rewarded the children of better-off families. A multi-dimensional view of meritocracy was needed or Singapore risked becoming segregated.

He gave two examples of how he thought meritocracy should operate.

He found out that Keppel had a very low attrition rate of engineers and it made him wonder how the company kept its staff. The engineers told him that it was because the company treated them equally and didn’t care about any engineer’s background. It was performance on the job that counted. Mr Ong thinks that the Keppel managed its staff differently because it was a company facing worldwide competition.

He also told of how the London School of Economics trust, which he sits on, recently decided that it wouldn’t just look at a student’s results when awarding scholarships. Instead it would give the scholarship to a student who had managed to secure a place but was not from a privileged background. In other words, there was “merit” in being able to overcome the odds to enroll in a prestigious university.

When he unfolded his lanky figure from the coffeeshop chair and got up to leave, several people nodded at him and raised a hand in goodbye. Coffeeshop uncles are friendly to him, said Mr Ong, probably because they identified with how he was trying to pick himself up after the 2011 GE.

And no, that was not a “failure”; it was a “setback”.

To be overcome.

http://themiddleground.sg/2015/08/11/ong-ye-kung-says-im-failure/

Meanwhile:

Minister Chan Chun Sing: Foreign powers trying to undermine our Democracy

ScreenShot2017-08-01at10.12.28PM.png

Minister of State Chan Chun Sing took to Parliament today (Aug 1) claiming that foreign powers are trying to “undermine” the authoritarian state:

“Singaporeans must be vigilant about any potential attempts by foreign parties to influence local politics and undermine the democratic process. Foreign interference in domestic politics and electoral processes cannot be underestimated and must always be factored into our social and psychological defence. History has shown that bigger and more powerful states will seek to advance their interests by projecting their influence on usually smaller or less organised ones via all instruments of power.”

When questioned by opposition MP Png Eng Huat if the Minister can substantiate his claims if any foreign country has attempted so, Minister Chan Chun Sing embarrassingly dodged the question saying that it is “inconvenient”:

“It would not be convenient for me to reveal details publicly due to the sensitive nature of the subject.”

Minister Chan Chun Sing then said Singaporeans must be discerning of the news they read and not fall victim to fake news:

“The threat is compounded by the pervasive use of the Internet and fake news, and Singaporeans should be more discerning in what they read or hear. It is critical for Singaporeans ourselves to recognise that foreign influence campaigns continue to exist … the integrity of our democratic process is the collective responsibility of all stakeholders and our electorate.”

There is no mention of fake news churned out by the government-regulated media and the national newspaper Straits Times. Singapore’s government-regulated media ranks 151th in the world for credibility and independence. Most fake news written by the government-regulated media are half-truth meant to put the government in a good light and at the same time mislead Singaporeans into false impressions and interpretations of current affairs issue.

http://statestimesreview.com/2017/0...ign-powers-trying-to-undermine-our-democracy/

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our forummer Bhoven had picked him out to watch. Very aggressive chap, Ong YK. During the mini crisis at Bukit Batok over the love affair, OYK was point man to calm the clan and to explain why they they are going to introduce an Indian candidate. The elders were spoken to at the temple.

I still think HSK is still the man.

CCS lost it when he was given NTUC. Thats is not the pathway to lead. Lets see if he loses his grip over PA.

I don't believe that this has been discussed yet but interesting twist of fate for CCS - some kakis reckoned it was due to his boo-booing the framing of the question on the EP to the AG's Chambers that potentially led his to tip over and commence his fall from grace - OYK is proving to be quite the comeback kid....let's see what the HSK faction do next....

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our forummer Bhoven had picked him out to watch. Very aggressive chap, Ong YK. During the mini crisis at Bukit Batok over the love affair, OYK was point man to calm the clan and to explain why they they are going to introduce an Indian candidate. The elders were spoken to at the temple.

CCS lost it when he was given NTUC. Thats is not the pathway to lead. Lets see if he loses his grip over PA.

less than 12months to go before the major Cabinet reshuffle scheduled next year 2018.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The double up approach in the last 2 years of same portfolios is part of the selection process. When you do that, you must know what to do with the rejects. Poorly handling will result in candidates getting smaller as not many people who have done well elsewhere would avoid public service. In the end the pool will continue to be the OMS scholars and the Alpha society. Putting rejects in well paid jobs as part of the fallback scheme only breeds those who will feather their nests. Good luck with this lot.

less than 12months to go before the major Cabinet reshuffle scheduled next year 2018.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

U r mistaken, it was a malay Chap who disown indian ancestry that got the job

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
As I have mentioned in another post, OYK has zero chance, why do people keep putting up his name?

Interesting that you say this. But I think OYK has zero chance of care taker PeeM much less PeeM. I think this is so because amongst all the PAP leaders of his generation, he is the least controllable. He is the son in law of Sim Lian Group's Kuik Ah Han. That means, he is not beholden at all to the PAP. They can fire him, tekan him, etc. But his iron rice bowl is not civil service or govt Ministership. His iron rice bowl is his wife Diana. If he was made PeeM, he and FIL will plot and never let go of the post. Sim Lian will be bigger then Singland once he is in PeeM office within a few years. I don't think even Gay Loong is that stupid as to make him PeeM even for a day.

Who Is easier to control in the all important seat warmer post of PeeM until Hongyi is ready? Someone like OYK who is already very rich and has a very rich wife and FIL. If he decides to leave politics at any time, he does not need a GLC or stat board to give him a job. His FIL will be more then happy to give him a senior position at SIm Lian. He is not easy to put pressure on or intimidate. Or is it easier to control someone like Kee Chiu who has no talent having spend all his career in the SAF. He has no rich relatives, if he were to leave the SAF on his own, he would be a taxi driver. If he wants a cushy job after the seat warming gig at the PeeM office, he will play ball and obediently hold the seat for Hongyi. That is why I don't think it will ever be OYK.

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I have mentioned in another post, OYK has zero chance, why do people keep putting up his name?

Interesting that you say this. But I think OYK has zero chance of care taker PeeM much less PeeM. I think this is so because amongst all the PAP leaders of his generation, he is the least controllable. He is the son in law of Sim Lian Group's Kuik Ah Han. That means, he is not beholden at all to the PAP. They can fire him, tekan him, etc. But his iron rice bowl is not civil service or govt Ministership. His iron rice bowl is his wife Diana. If he was made PeeM, he and FIL will plot and never let go of the post. Sim Lian will be bigger then Singland once he is in PeeM office within a few years. I don't think even Gay Loong is that stupid as to make him PeeM even for a day.

Who Is easier to control in the all important seat warmer post of PeeM until Hongyi is ready? Someone like OYK who is already very rich and has a very rich wife and FIL. If he decides to leave politics at any time, he does not need a GLC or stat board to give him a job. His FIL will be more then happy to give him a senior position at SIm Lian. He is not easy to put pressure on or intimidate. Or is it easier to control someone like Kee Chiu who has no talent having spend all his career in the SAF. He has no rich relatives, if he were to leave the SAF on his own, he would be a taxi driver. If he wants a cushy job after the seat warming gig at the PeeM office, he will play ball and obediently hold the seat for Hongyi. That is why I don't think it will ever be OYK.
All you said about OYK is correct. But that is precisely why he will succeed. He is very smart. And driven. But not by money. And he will get there plans for LHY notwithstanding.....

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
All you said about OYK is correct. But that is precisely why he will succeed. He is very smart. And driven. But not by money. And he will get there plans for LHY notwithstanding.....

And he is definitely not in just to be a seat warmer...

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

But once he gets the PM seat, he will never leave it. U think he will kwai kwai give it up to Hongli. I don't think so.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

how about that wheelchair bitch... she alway kwuik to criticize oppo. really cant stand her.