• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious The Dauphin Li HongYi and The Gross Miscalculation of Ho Ching and Loong

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Now that the dust has settled a bit from the whole siblings feud, I look back at the whole affair and try to assess who is the biggest casualty of it. Although Hongyi cannot lay claims to being the most damaged, his parent’s aspirations for him to be the next Prime Minister certainly has.

We know for sure, from Wei Ling and Hsien Yang, that Loong and Ching were harbouring “dynastic” ambitions for their son, HongYi. Let’s be clear on this point. We are hearing this from the mouths of the Aunt and Uncle of this boy. This is not public speculation nor kopi shop rumour mongering. Ho and Lee were really going to advance the boy to be the next PM.

But the sheer laziness and complacency, and working to put in the minimum amount of work required for this to happen is audacious in its arrogance. I mean, what were they thinking? Were they just going to parachute him into the next election like so many ex SAF scholar general before him and think that it would be a fait accompli for him to be elected? Were they going to run the boy in the strongest GRC and assure his election based on this?

This is a huge insult to the taxpayer and citizens of Singapore. He is a Lee. He is not a Kee Chiu nor a Tan Chuan Jin, etc. all nobodies that no one ever heard of before they became Ministers. Because he is a Lee, he has to be held to a higher standard. His own grandfather would demand this if he was alive. He has to prove himself, he has to work harder then anyone else, he has to show the desire, will and talent. That his own father Loong showed non of these traits, becomes even more important that he redeem the family name and work very hard at becoming a successful future PM.

But he did no such thing. His parents have hidden him away from public view at IDA, and he is variously listed as a consultant at IDA or a deputy director at the Government Digital Services Data Science Division of the Government Technology Agency of Singapore (whatever that is). He has made no public appearances or speeches since his grandfather’s funeral. His future plans and his personal life and even his exact job description and career path are all shrouded in secrecy. Even Loong had more information on himself regarding all these aspects of his life when he was being groomed for the PM role.

Why didn’t his parents have him appear at rallies in the last elections? They control the media, I am sure some reporters at SPH must be drooling to do a puff piece on him. Why did they not have that done? Even doing some basic grassroot work or appearing at various charity and community events will indicate his career choice. Let the people get to know him. Let them see who he is, and let them get used to the idea that he will be the future PM. If he impresses them with his humbleness, brains, or sheer hard work, they may warm up to him and make that transition a little easier. It may be an easier pill to swallow. At least, they should move him around to various Ministries to experience and get a feel for how things work and how govt runs.

But non of this happened. Why? I suspect that the flaw lies in the person himself. He just does not want it bad enough. He wants it handed to him on a silver plate, and wants to do the minimal effort to get it. He already has a reputation for being a spoilt brat during his NS days and for shortcutting the chain of command. I am going to guess that he has not learned that lesson. Shouldn’t he go to his parents and DEMAND to sit in on some MPS with his Papa, or attend some fund raising activities? Better still, how about fundraising using his own family name? His appearance or support at some charity’s fund raising would certainly bring in tens of thousands of $ more. Heck, even if he just showed up unannounced with no fanfare to help prepare food for needy residents, would have been 1000 times better then this backdoor way that his parents are trying to promote his ascension to the throne.

Seems to me that they have lost control over him. Seems to me that he does not want the job at all, and like his father before him, he is being forced into this office. Seems to me like the citizens of Singapore deserved better then this entitled brat, who can’t even be bothered to put in a modicum of work to justify his future role of PM. Perhaps Uncle and Aunty saw through it and were alarmed that Loong and Ho were promoting such an unmotivated and lazy ass individual to the highest office in the land. Putting out a half hearted “I have no real interest in politics” Facebook post on a largely dormant Facebook account convinces no one. I suppose Papa and mama were counting on the supporting cast around him to assure that he will perform half way decently by taking credit for other people’s work, much like his father is doing now. That could be why the PMO’s budget keeps getting bigger every year and more and more Ministers are added to it.

But they have miscalculated. They thought that the sheer PAP domination and the cache of the Lee name will suffice to put this reluctant or lazy Dauphin into office. They should have make him put in some work, put him out in the public, create a positive image around him. That way, when Aunty and Uncle accuse him of being part of a Dynastic conspiracy, Ho and Loong can spin it to say that he is a hard worker, cares for the down trodden, always raising money for worthy causes, etc. So, he can’t be that bad if he becomes PM. But all that did not happen and all that Mama and Papa could muster against the dynastic accusations were just lame denials. Its too late now. Anything he does along the lines I have mentioned above will be viewed with scepticism and cynicism by the public.

My 2 cent's worth.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Next GE will field him in a ten men GRC. The other 9 all ministers.
70% will happily vote him in.
Then he'll go direct to become minister and next the PMship.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Next GE will field him in a ten men GRC. The other 9 all ministers.
70% will happily vote him in.
Then he'll go direct to become minister and next the PMship.

Yeah with the dumbfuck 70% who will be around for a long time the PAP could easily get my dog into Parliament if they chose to.

Ugly%20Dog_width_640x.jpg

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pappies simple logic.....if the peeee ammmmm's progency does not deserve to be mp, and then pm, who else deserves to be one? Who dares to defy this logic?

Alas, those were the days of the knuckle busters in the black alleyways of geylang.....the world has changed.

人算不如天算. Imperial and natural aristocratic plans may be in place, but.......

Watch and see the wayang being played out....or....in next ge......

dogsbody

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is mostly speculation, but I feel that Li Hongyi himself knows that his character is not suitable for political leadership. Many teachers had high aspirations for him since he was in secondary school, he is quite smart and logical, definitely a good fit for the typical PSC science/engineering scholarships, like his parents, but he lacks a sort of gravitas. His cousin was a humanities student with high verbal acuity (but traumatised by Chinese) so many thought he would do literature and/or law. I'm sure the thought of going into politics have crossed their minds but time in NS and overseas studies have shaped their own beliefs. Hongyi and his younger brother have probably been coerced by their parents and the establishment to go into civil service, but only Haoyi managed to escape it. I believe they sought disparate paths from their parents as the weight of their grandfather's name slowly shifted on them in adulthood, and they crave some sort of anonymity. Haoyi is the only one who has succeeded in a way, in that a lot of people who admire him for his work in Scala programming may not know his background. The mess over HY's email saga also show how naive he is, although I feel he was way too young then for us to judge his actions. He has been sheltered from young and the backlash from the saga probably made him wary of taking on high profile leadership roles in public service, even if he was genuinely interested in the Smart Nation initiative. Ho Ching's rise in Temasek in such an opaque manner is a permanent blight on the ruling party, and the son has to carry that weight too.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
This is mostly speculation, but I feel that Li Hongyi himself knows that his character is not suitable for political leadership. Many teachers had high aspirations for him since he was in secondary school, he is quite smart and logical, definitely a good fit for the typical PSC science/engineering scholarships, like his parents, but he lacks a sort of gravitas. His cousin was a humanities student with high verbal acuity (but traumatised by Chinese) so many thought he would do literature and/or law. I'm sure the thought of going into politics have crossed their minds but time in NS and overseas studies have shaped their own beliefs. Hongyi and his younger brother have probably been coerced by their parents and the establishment to go into civil service, but only Haoyi managed to escape it. I believe they sought disparate paths from their parents as the weight of their grandfather's name slowly shifted on them in adulthood, and they crave some sort of anonymity. Haoyi is the only one who has succeeded in a way, in that a lot of people who admire him for his work in Scala programming may not know his background. The mess over HY's email saga also show how naive he is, although I feel he was way too young then for us to judge his actions. He has been sheltered from young and the backlash from the saga probably made him wary of taking on high profile leadership roles in public service, even if he was genuinely interested in the Smart Nation initiative. Ho Ching's rise in Temasek in such an opaque manner is a permanent blight on the ruling party, and the son has to carry that weight too.

Yes, absolutely speculation. However, you need to remember that Hongli is not that young anymore. He is 30 years old. Old enough to know that sending a half ass FB message denying any political aspirations is not going to fly. His own grandfather was PM at 36. And he has traveled the world and studied overseas. For him to still be so naive is scary. Haoyi did not manage to escape it, as you say. i believe he is Gay, so he would have been politically unacceptable to the establishment. They pretty much figure they can't use him, so they leave him alone to lead his life. Otherwise, he would have been involved in some way.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Parents tend to dream whether their kids want it, qualifies for it or not. Some get forced into it others just fall away. I would not waste time on this. Once his bond ends, he is likely to move on to a US company.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard the same. Agree with your assessment.

dogsbody

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haoyi did not manage to escape it, as you say. i believe he is Gay, so he would have been politically unacceptable to the establishment. They pretty much figure they can't use him, so they leave him alone to lead his life. Otherwise, he would have been involved in some way.

Li Haoyi isn't gay lah, he's the one who brought his China girlfriend/fiancee to LKY's funeral. Unless of course, it was an elaborate smokescreen. :o LHW, the one in private equity, is the one who is openly gay.

Third Gen Names Refresher Course

Li Xiuqi (1980) RGS ⇒ HCJ ⇒ NUS ⇒ ?

Li Yipeng (1982) Zhonghua Sec ⇒ NYJ ⇒ NUS ⇒ ?

Li Shengwu (1985) RI ⇒ RJ ⇒ Oxford ⇒ Stanford ⇒ Harvard

Li Huanwu (1986) Singapore American School ⇒ RJ ⇒ Wharton ⇒ Goldman Sachs ⇒ L Capital Asia ⇒ Värde Partners ⇒ Afiniti.com

Li Hongyi (1987) ACS(I) ⇒ RJ ⇒ Cambridge-MIT ⇒ SAF ⇒ Google ⇒ IDA

Li Haoyi (1989) ACS(I) ⇒ Cambridge-MIT ⇒ Facebook ⇒ Dropbox

Li Shaowu (1995) RI(JC)⇒ US Uni

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now that the dust has settled a bit from the whole siblings feud, I look back at the whole affair and try to assess who is the biggest casualty of it. Although Hongyi cannot lay claims to being the most damaged, his parent’s aspirations for him to be the next Prime Minister certainly has.

We know for sure, from Wei Ling and Hsien Yang, that Loong and Ching were harbouring “dynastic” ambitions for their son, HongYi. Let’s be clear on this point. We are hearing this from the mouths of the Aunt and Uncle of this boy. This is not public speculation nor kopi shop rumour mongering. Ho and Lee were really going to advance the boy to be the next PM.

But the sheer laziness and complacency, and working to put in the minimum amount of work required for this to happen is audacious in its arrogance. I mean, what were they thinking? Were they just going to parachute him into the next election like so many ex SAF scholar general before him and think that it would be a fait accompli for him to be elected? Were they going to run the boy in the strongest GRC and assure his election based on this?

This is a huge insult to the taxpayer and citizens of Singapore. He is a Lee. He is not a Kee Chiu nor a Tan Chuan Jin, etc. all nobodies that no one ever heard of before they became Ministers. Because he is a Lee, he has to be held to a higher standard. His own grandfather would demand this if he was alive. He has to prove himself, he has to work harder then anyone else, he has to show the desire, will and talent. That his own father Loong showed non of these traits, becomes even more important that he redeem the family name and work very hard at becoming a successful future PM.

But he did no such thing. His parents have hidden him away from public view at IDA, and he is variously listed as a consultant at IDA or a deputy director at the Government Digital Services Data Science Division of the Government Technology Agency of Singapore (whatever that is). He has made no public appearances or speeches since his grandfather’s funeral. His future plans and his personal life and even his exact job description and career path are all shrouded in secrecy. Even Loong had more information on himself regarding all these aspects of his life when he was being groomed for the PM role.

Why didn’t his parents have him appear at rallies in the last elections? They control the media, I am sure some reporters at SPH must be drooling to do a puff piece on him. Why did they not have that done? Even doing some basic grassroot work or appearing at various charity and community events will indicate his career choice. Let the people get to know him. Let them see who he is, and let them get used to the idea that he will be the future PM. If he impresses them with his humbleness, brains, or sheer hard work, they may warm up to him and make that transition a little easier. It may be an easier pill to swallow. At least, they should move him around to various Ministries to experience and get a feel for how things work and how govt runs.

But non of this happened. Why? I suspect that the flaw lies in the person himself. He just does not want it bad enough. He wants it handed to him on a silver plate, and wants to do the minimal effort to get it. He already has a reputation for being a spoilt brat during his NS days and for shortcutting the chain of command. I am going to guess that he has not learned that lesson. Shouldn’t he go to his parents and DEMAND to sit in on some MPS with his Papa, or attend some fund raising activities? Better still, how about fundraising using his own family name? His appearance or support at some charity’s fund raising would certainly bring in tens of thousands of $ more. Heck, even if he just showed up unannounced with no fanfare to help prepare food for needy residents, would have been 1000 times better then this backdoor way that his parents are trying to promote his ascension to the throne.

Seems to me that they have lost control over him. Seems to me that he does not want the job at all, and like his father before him, he is being forced into this office. Seems to me like the citizens of Singapore deserved better then this entitled brat, who can’t even be bothered to put in a modicum of work to justify his future role of PM. Perhaps Uncle and Aunty saw through it and were alarmed that Loong and Ho were promoting such an unmotivated and lazy ass individual to the highest office in the land. Putting out a half hearted “I have no real interest in politics” Facebook post on a largely dormant Facebook account convinces no one. I suppose Papa and mama were counting on the supporting cast around him to assure that he will perform half way decently by taking credit for other people’s work, much like his father is doing now. That could be why the PMO’s budget keeps getting bigger every year and more and more Ministers are added to it.

But they have miscalculated. They thought that the sheer PAP domination and the cache of the Lee name will suffice to put this reluctant or lazy Dauphin into office. They should have make him put in some work, put him out in the public, create a positive image around him. That way, when Aunty and Uncle accuse him of being part of a Dynastic conspiracy, Ho and Loong can spin it to say that he is a hard worker, cares for the down trodden, always raising money for worthy causes, etc. So, he can’t be that bad if he becomes PM. But all that did not happen and all that Mama and Papa could muster against the dynastic accusations were just lame denials. Its too late now. Anything he does along the lines I have mentioned above will be viewed with scepticism and cynicism by the public.

My 2 cent's worth.

You don't need to write an essay to say a 30 year old is a Deputy Director cause of Daddy's power.