• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Malay, not Malay, Malay - Race now decided by PAP as when it suits them.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/comment-malay-enough-next-president-093246327.html

Am I Malay enough to be the next President?
Safhras Khan,Yahoo News Singapore•14 July 2017

Presidential hopeful Farid Khan, who announced his run for office on 12 July.

I enjoy my nasi lemak and I aced my Malay language examinations at PSLE, ‘O’ and A levels. I look just like the average Malay man. I celebrate Hari Raya Puasa. I even wrote for Singapore’s only Malay newspaper for four years. But for all that, in the eyes of many in the community, I am still not Malay enough.

Just like presidential hopeful Farid Khan, my identity card states that I am Pakistani. You see, my late paternal grandfather came from Pakistan and married a local woman. My father, who looks slightly more Pakistani than me, followed in his father’s footsteps and married a Javanese woman.

If I were to throw my hat in the ring for this year’s presidential election, which is reserved for Malays, that would be the biggest obstacle. Aside from the fact that I have never managed a company worth $500 million and I am only 39, whereas a presidential candidate must be at least 45 years of age.

Even the authorities do not think I am Malay. When I went to university, I applied for a study loan from Mendaki, but it was rejected on the grounds that I am Pakistani, not Malay. They sent me to the Indian self-help group Sinda, which also rejected me, as I am not Indian – and referred me to Mendaki.

It gets very confusing, this racial identity thing.

He is NOT Malay

I have been covering the run-up to the presidential election for a while now and each time I speak to people on the ground, many are confused by the term “Malay candidate”. Following my interview with Salleh Marican in June, friends asked me if he was Malay and pointed to the fact that his surname is more associated with the Indian community.

I tried to argue that Salleh is part of the Malay community and that he has been contributing not only to the Malay community, but other races in Singapore as well. However, most of them refused to look beyond the race issue. Most of the time, the conversation abruptly ends with, “He is not Malay”.

After Yahoo News Singapore‘s coverage of Farid’s press conference, when he announced his intention to run for the highest office in the land, I was bombarded with calls and messages asking about the potential candidate’s race.

“He has the same surname as you, which means you too can run for the presidency!” a friend of mine quipped a few days after the press conference.

What makes one Malay?

So what makes a Malay candidate?

This year’s presidential election is reserved for “person(s) belonging to the Malay community. According to Article 19B of the Singapore Constitution, which deals with reserved elections for communities that have not held the office of President for five or more consecutive terms, this means “any person, whether of the Malay race or otherwise, who considers himself to be a member of the Malay community and who is generally accepted as a member of the Malay community by that community”.

By that definition, both Farid and Salleh would qualify to run. Both candidates still have to be assessed by a five-member panel, a sub-committee of the Community Committee, which will determine if prospective candidates belong to the Malay community. But judging by the reactions I have seen on the ground, official – and often arbitrary – definitions do not quite answer complicated questions of race and identity.

It is worth noting that there are many politicians of mixed heritage representing the Malay community, such as Speaker Halimah Yaacob (Indian/Malay parents), who is widely considered to be a strong presidential contender should she run. The likes of Minister for Muslim Affairs Yaacob Ibrahim and Members of Parliament Faishal Ibrahim and Fatimah Lateef also have Indian heritage. As far as I know, this is not an issue for the Malay community.

Perhaps it is down to the fact that this presidential election is reserved specifically for Malays that definitions and labels become ever more important. Hopefully, it does not become a divisive issue.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will it be suprising to anyonethat the majority of Malays don't give a fuck who the President will gonna be?

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
24czipv.png

2gslgfd.png

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/comment-malay-enough-next-president-093246327.html

Am I Malay enough to be the next President?
Safhras Khan,Yahoo News Singapore•14 July 2017

Singapore is becoming a joke. " Let's reserve this presidency for a Malay. Now what exactly is a Malay ? It's what we say it is". We can't even succeed at racial discrimination. And the greatest joke of all is that even Malays don't care if a Malay is President. Has any Malay outside the PAP raised a cheer ? No, they know it for the subterfuge it is, and are frankly resentful. This is no different from the GRC system, which injects weak candidates into parliament by fiat.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is becoming a joke. " Let's reserve this presidency for a Malay. Now what exactly is a Malay ? It's what we say it is". We can't even succeed at racial discrimination. And the greatest joke of all is that even Malays don't care if a Malay is President. Has any Malay outside the PAP raised a cheer ? No, they know it for the subterfuge it is, and are frankly resentful. This is no different from the GRC system, which injects weak candidates into parliament by fiat.

Exactly....another clever political engineering by PAP.

Halimah is rumoured to come from Indian Muslim heritage...so is that also considered "Malay" enough?

We have so called meritocracy on one hand and yet we need to deviate from it to achieve their shifting goal posts.

PAP has opened another can of worms....LHL reputation is fast going down the drain.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
whats the big deal? isn't mahathir half half too?

there are other, more troubling aspects to this morons candidacy.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Race is not a criteria for elections where Mahathir is concerned unlike the PE.

Though reserved for the Malays, none of them are full Malays. Which adds to the problem of an already unpopular situation of reserving it for a particular race.

It also reveals two embarrassing situations - the minor one and quite comical is why all the possible candidates including those who have not raised their hands have fathers from one particular race - Indian and more importantly why the Malays have not progressed all these decades despite the role played by Mendaki, AMP and the community overall. And lets forget the financial hurdle. And bear in mind that Halimah would not have qualified under old PE rules and which adds to the circus that has come about.

The Government and Yaacob at the Minister in Charge clearly did not anticipate these embarrassing situation or could not be bothered as they have the numbers in parliament and Mendaki, MUIS and AMP have become prostitutes of the PAP.

Lets take scholarships on merit offered by the Teochew clan as a hypo. The eligibility criteria are minimum 4 As, first time candidate for the A levels, must be full Teochew. No hits for 2 years, so committee without doing their research , drops it to 3 As. And again no hits. Then they realise that the Hokkeins are better in this game. So rules adjusted again to allow one parent who is not Teochew, but again no hits as the the candidates have applied for the scholarships under the Hokkein clan which is financially better. More fiddling takes place and in year 7, they found a hit - Anand Chua is the first recipient of the Teochew scholarship. Anand dad is Teochew but mum is not Hokkein and he therefore cannot apply for the Hokkein clan's better scholarship. The good news is that the Teochew clan goes to town on the fact that Anand has 5As. Failure to mention that it is second sitting which breached the rules but they were desperate.

Ps. As an aside, PSC conveniently removed the first sitting rule for OMS and all scholarship. So we in the elite Admin Service people repeated their A levels. So this govt has form.

whats the big deal? isn't mahathir half half too?

there are other, more troubling aspects to this morons candidacy.

Last edited:

SalahParking

Alfrescian
Loyal
No lah! The govt has been too successful in integrating malays.Look around you...They should pat themselves on the back. Well Done.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The funny thing is it doesn't apply to other races. You can only be Chinese by being genetically one even though alot of southern Chinese are integrated with aboriginal types from China but that took many generations. It's the same with ang moh. You can have ang moh surname/speak ang moh but only be ang moh if you look like one which means your genetics would be close to 100%.

for m&ds somehow it changes and that's why you have so many shit skins/arabs somehow considered m&ds all cos they practice and same religion and speak m&d language. m&ds use it to their advantage like calling arabs m&ds when it suits them and vice versa for other races.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Malays were too nice to the interlopers. The Indians played both sides and picked what worked for them. The Maria Hertogh riots and JI ringleaders were Indian Muslims. So was the preacher who recently deported.

The Malay are also strapped because nearly all their community leaders from Yaacob down are DKK.

The funny thing is it doesn't apply to other races. You can only be Chinese by being genetically one even though alot of southern Chinese are integrated with aboriginal types from China but that took many generations. It's the same with ang moh. You can have ang moh surname/speak ang moh but only be ang moh if you look like one which means your genetics would be close to 100%.

for m&ds somehow it changes and that's why you have so many shit skins/arabs somehow considered m&ds all cos they practice and same religion and speak m&d language. m&ds use it to their advantage like calling arabs m&ds when it suits them and vice versa for other races.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Malays were too nice to the interlopers. The Indians played both sides and picked what worked for them. The Maria Hertogh riots and JI ringleaders were Indian Muslims. So was the preacher who recently deported.

The Malay are also strapped because nearly all their community leaders from Yaacob down are DKK.

Dkk is something keling right?

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
@Scroo:
"Ps. As an aside, PSC conveniently removed the first sitting rule for OMS and all scholarship. So we in the elite Admin Service people repeated their A levels. So this govt has form. ".

Such a significant lowering of the hurdle is more than likely to bring the offspring of some elite into consideration. Call me cynical but they only open the doors wider for one of their own.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, so we have others that gone thru as well. Doc just named one.
@Scroo:
"Ps. As an aside, PSC conveniently removed the first sitting rule for OMS and all scholarship. So we in the elite Admin Service people repeated their A levels. So this govt has form. ".

Such a significant lowering of the hurdle is more than likely to bring the offspring of some elite into consideration. Call me cynical but they only open the doors wider for one of their own.