• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat How much grab/uber driver earn per month?

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Security guard can earn 3k? Where?

Security guard basic is around 1.5k now. In addition to that are various additions like shift allowances, transport allowances (for more ulu place), meal allowances etc. and of course the standard OT payments at 1.5x basic salary. Anything above 44 hours a week is entitled to OT, at the rate my friend is driving he is going to clock up at least another 44-46 hours in OT per week. Technically OT above 72 hours is only allowed with exceptions approval, but most SMEs do not really bother as long as the staff willing to do.

You can go http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/salary/calculate-overtime-pay to calculate OT payments. I put in basic salary of $1500, 176 OT hours a month which results in another $2030, so if you sum up the numbers we are talking about at least $3500 per month. Factor in some allowances and productivity incentives here & there it will be very close to $4000 a month.

Not that I think it's a good idea or prevalent to work such long hours in security industry, but just doing a like for like comparison for my driver friend sort of work hours.

Last edited:

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Security guard basic is around 1.5k now. In addition to that are various additions like shift allowances, transport allowances (for more ulu place), meal allowances etc. and of course the standard OT payments at 1.5x basic salary. Anything above 44 hours a week is entitled to OT, at the rate my friend is driving he is going to clock up at least another 44-46 hours in OT per week. Technically OT above 72 hours is only allowed with exceptions approval, but most SMEs do not really bother as long as the staff willing to do.

You can go http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/salary/calculate-overtime-pay to calculate OT payments. I put in basic salary of $1500, 176 OT hours a month which results in another $2030, so if you sum up the numbers we are talking about at least $3500 per month. Factor in some allowances and productivity incentives here & there it will be very close to $4000 a month.

Not that I think it's a good idea or prevalent to work such long hours in security industry, but just doing a like for like comparison for my friend sort of work hours.

Can work 176 OT hour so much per month?

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
So 176 OT hours + how many basic working hour per month ar?
Like this one week works how many days and one week how many hours?

Really can work until die leh

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Technically one can only work 78hr OT max per month, but the legislation is very vague as it says the 72hr limit does not apply to working on rest days & public holidays. Also if there are exceptions and employee is agreeable then can go beyond the 72 hours. In practice a lot of companies don't really care as long as the staff is willing to clock the hours. It is also quite prevalent for people to get employed by 1 company and then take up additional ad-hoc duties that are paid by the hour with another company.

My UG driver friend is doing 92 hour work weeks now (12 hr weekdays & 16 hr weekends) to hit the 5k mark, NUTS and totally unsustainable if you ask me. My numbers above on security guard based on 88 hour work week, for security guard is more by shift so not easy to define by days or hours. Generally speaking a 'standard' not too crazy schedule is 12 hour shift followed by 24 hour rest, so it works out to be around 5 x 12hr shift cycle per week which helps to clock 16 hr OT per week or 64-70 hr per month. Some places go by 8 hour shift which will be slightly different.

Last edited:

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Technically one can only work 28hr OT max per week, i.e. 112-120 per month, but the legislation is very vague as it says if there are exceptions and employee is agreeable then can go beyond the 72 hours per week. In practice a lot of companies don't really care as long as the staff is willing to clock the hours.

My UG driver friend is doing 92 hour work weeks now (12 hr weekdays & 16 hr weekends) to hit the 5k mark, NUTS and totally unsustainable if you ask me. My numbers above on security guard based on 88 hour work week, for security guard is more by shift so not easy to define by days or hours. Generally speaking a 'standard' not too crazy schedule is 12 hour shift followed by 24 hour rest, so it works out to be around 5 x 12hr shift cycle per week which helps to clock 16 hr OT per week or 64-70 hr per month. Some places go by 8 hour shift which will be slightly different.

I think your number not correct
I spoke to a grab driver today, he told me on average he drive 6-7 hour and one day can earn 100
After deduct the commission and petrol
As the car is owned by himself.
So if the driver rent the car , then how much they earn!?
Left peanut

Then why still so many go to drive?

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I spoke to a grab driver today, he told me on average he drive 6-7 hour and one day can earn 100
Left peanut

I don't think you can extrapolate like that. If I understand from others, it is not possible for someone renting a car to only drive 6-7 hours a day and still make a decent living. The 2 most attractive points of being driver is 1) 'independence' (no need to listen boss, play office politics, inflexible office hours/location etc) and opportunity to 'own' a car which would otherwise not be possible. Now with the need to put up the PHV labels, I think #2 proposition is no longer that attractive.

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
really bad health sitting in the car 12 hours a day without walking.
most will end up with one illness or another

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am thinking of hiring a 13 seater grab shuttle to bring my family and friends to jb for one whole day, anyone has experience to share?

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Isn't feasible to use free whatsapp and wechat groups to hitch customers rather than rely on uber and grab, cost avoiding paying them 20% commission just to use their mobile app?

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok
Talk about part time job, why don't go give tuition
It is more money and easy money.
The rate is also not bad.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You must understand that these people otherwise got nothing to do anyways and rotting at home.
Thanks to pap can't go out as fucking crowded And also too expensive can't afford.
Cooped up in Pigeonhole Miserable compared to 'easy' job driving in aircon listen to radio no stress no brainer job get $5k to spend on prostitutes and new iphone.
There's no quality of life either way

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
You must understand that these people otherwise got nothing to do anyways and rotting at home.
Thanks to pap can't go out as fucking crowded And also too expensive can't afford.
Cooped up in Pigeonhole Miserable compared to 'easy' job driving in aircon listen to radio no stress no brainer job get $5k to spend on prostitutes and new iphone.
There's no quality of life either way

5k need to drive how many days and how many hours per day?
If tuition then charge 50 dollar then one day do 4 hour then can rest
One week work 6 day then one week got 1200
One month also hit 5k.

But working hour lesser.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
5k need to drive how many days and how many hours per day?
If tuition then charge 50 dollar then one day do 4 hour then can rest
One week work 6 day then one week got 1200
One month also hit 5k.

But working hour lesser.

Entry level for uber/grab driver is lower. Just a class 3 driving Licence

Gigo88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun forget UG drivers need to make medisave contributions and pay income tax based on gross takings.

You can only deduct UG commissions (20%), mobile phone bill, ACRA renewal & ERP.

Petrol, rental (if rental car), maint., road tax, insurance (if own car) are non-deductible for medisave and income tax calculations.

You can try to under declare, but hope dun get caught.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dun forget UG drivers need to make medisave contributions and pay income tax based on gross takings.

You can only deduct UG commissions (20%), mobile phone bill, ACRA renewal & ERP.

Petrol, rental (if rental car), maint., road tax, insurance (if own car) are non-deductible for medisave and income tax calculations.

How to under declare when all your fares are logged?
Anyway $5k income you dun pay much income tax.

tester

Alfrescian
Loyal
Left peanut

once-in-a-lifetime opportunity
Capture.GIF

tester

Alfrescian
Loyal
Left peanut

Uber feels so natural
Capture.GIF

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I don't get it..all expenses of the car should be tax deductible as the car is the business...to not include tat for deductions is a joke...but Singkieland income tax soo low...argue also pointless...but should be no tax at all as already pay COE..ERP...fuel tax..gst etc..high running cost

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Note: model works if you do not rent car.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-Ubers-business-model-1

Yuen Lo, 10 years as a successful institutional investor

"Uber is the digital disruption of an industry that struggles to ensure high standards at low cost. Its business model is:

• Find drivers with access to a car who want to earn money.

• Orchestrate them centrally to offer a highly scaled and distributed transport platform.

• Allow people who want to make journeys book these drivers via a mobile application.

• Create a review system to ensure great service.

• Take a 20-30% cut of all bookings.

• Leverage the data collected to minimize wait times and maximize drive times.

The current strategy being applied to this model is quite simple. Take the almost $9bn they have raised and use it to run the competition into the ground.

You already knew all of this, but what happens from here is actually more nuanced than you think."

Strong name recognition + most drivers & cars means that it is plausible that the dominant taxi mobile app in any given city will have 80% share. I mean, who is really going to check more than one taxi app on a regular basis?

Despite what the media portrays, Uber pays drivers more than the alternatives. The logic is simple, driving a car off Uber is pretty poorly paid.

As you can imagine, once Uber achieves local domination, it will be able to turn losses into profits, and subsequently into economic rent. Typically you don’t even need 80% market share in anything to have pricing power. However what is less common is when this 80% share leads to pricing power vis a vis the customer AND your core cost i.e. your drivers.

This pricing power won’t be infinite given low switching costs but it is very real. Perhaps a better way to put it is right now, Uber offers rides for less than the regulated yellow cabs, and drivers earn slightly more. In the medium term when it is the only viable choice in a city, it may offer rides in line with regulated cabs and pay its drivers less.

High market share and broken competitors will be what makes this stick.

Uber isn’t trying to be Bank America offering the same mortgages as everyone else, it wants to be the Federal Reserve setting the rate.

Tl:dr Uber tends to monopoly in the presence of drivers who work in their own self-interest.

Drivers are stuck in a prisoners dilemma where the only equilibrium is the majority of them on the platform that pays the best.

However in the presence of driver-less cars, Uber's strategy will likely disintegrate into perfect competition.

It is well known that in the long term that drivers are going to get cut out and automated.

However, driverless cars will be the end of the Uber investment case.

How? Imagine a future world where a new competitor raises $2bn and buys fleets of cars with autonomous driving systems. Can Uber force this competitor out like it is doing now?

No it can’t. The competitor’s $2bn becomes a sunk cost and establishes itself as a strong number 2 market by market.

Uber’s market share rapidly declines from 80% to 50%.

Then imagine you own a self driving car. What is going to stop you renting it out to your friends and neighbors? Driver-less cars eliminates Uber's core strength.

If you’re wondering what is Uber’s core strength, it isn’t its app, or its brand. It is its ability to give drivers the best available deal.

Drivers are Uber’s strategic barrier to entry.

Uber understands this. That is why they poached half the robotics staff from Carnegie Mellon last year. Its driver-less cars have to be better than everyone else's.