• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious DPM Teo Tells PSC Scholars To Challenge Status Quo!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
psc-scholarship-award-ceremony.jpg

SINGAPORE: Seventy-one Public Service Commission (PSC) scholarships were awarded out of more than 2,000 applications submitted, the PSC said at its awards ceremony on Wednesday (Jul 12).

Of these, 17 recipients chose to study a Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subject. Eight of these scholarship holders were awarded the new PSC Scholarship (Engineering) that was launched in December 2016.

Under the PSC Scholarship (Engineering), holders will undertake stretch postings in one of three engineering clusters: The defence and security cluster, the information and communications technology and smart systems cluster or the infrastructure environment cluster.

PSC chairman Eddie Teo said in his opening address that the response from applicants showed that younger Singaporeans were eager to contribute to the nation's goal of being at the forefront in using technology to improve the lives of people.

In his keynote address, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean - who is also Minister in charge of the Civil Service - said that governments worldwide were seeking new sources of growth, and that Singaporeans needed to deepen their skill sets to "constantly upgrade ourselves to be future-ready".

"Rapid advances in technologies such as artificial intelligence and robotics are disrupting existing models and can be a source of anxiety for some workers," said DPM Teo. "But these disruptive technologies can also provide new opportunities for growth for Singapore-based companies and workers.

"To continue to stay ahead and harness the opportunities, Singaporeans need to deepen our skills and have the appropriate mindset to constantly upgrade ourselves to be future-ready."

DPM Teo added it was also important for public service officers to develop an innovative and bold mindset.

"In our constantly evolving operating environment, we must update our policy assumptions, and challenge the status quo," he said. "Our officers must help spot 'pattern-breaks' early so that we can adjust our policies, act fast and put in place the necessary measures to test new ideas, and scale up good solutions for the benefit of Singapore and Singaporeans."

PSC also noted that some of this year's scholarship holders will be studying in "non-traditional countries". For example, two of them will be going to non-English speaking countries for their undergraduate studies.

One such scholarship holder, Yuki Chong, told Channel NewsAsia that she chose to study in China because the country was "prominent economically and politically".

"I really think that I would be able to bring back quite insightful perspectives when I study side by side with my Chinese counterparts in school," said Ms Chong. "And I'll be able to contribute in quite a unique way to the civil service."

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...ice-commission-awards-71-scholarships-9025828

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how many of dese skolars r going 2 nus or ntu? ...

dey shud send all of dem there ... dey r world top 10 universities ... morover, dey noe wat sinkielan wans mor den any other university ...

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did I read the wrong thing??? These papigs gripped so hard, dun want to let go...... how to change the status quo
another min comm bullshit?

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
if this challenge is open to ex-scholars, I am willing to change the status quo.

henceforward, i will be referring to it as quo status.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No kid would have China in their mind and it's PSC convincing them to take it up to meet our political agenda. It does not mean that Chinese Unis are bad but top ones are in the West and their qualifications are highly marketable.

We have been sending PSC scholars to China and Japan for decades but you never hear of them after that.

As to TCH asking scholars to challenge the status quo, that like asking them to don suicide jackets and get 72 virgins. Look at Tang Liang Hong. They should instead follow his trademark style - by evading questions posed with another question so the person who asked thinks he or she is the problem.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of all the people raised by the LKY, TCH hurt LKY the most. He did this by leading LHL down the path of electoral political manipulation. He is the architect and current custodian of new citizen vote bank. During the recent Parliamentary debate over Oxley, he was the leading voice for deification of LKY.

While he and LHL think of ever more clever ways to win elections, the country continues to decline.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did LHL and TCH's sons both PSC scholars go to China or US on their scholarships?

Which university did Xi JinPing's daughter atttend?

Which universities did Kishore's children attend notwithstanding Kishore criticising PSC for not sending its top scholars to NUS, his alma mater which he apparently thinks highly of?

No kid would have China in their mind and it's PSC convincing them to take it up to meet our political agenda. It does not mean that Chinese Unis are bad but top ones are in the West and their qualifications are highly marketable.

We have been sending PSC scholars to China and Japan for decades but you never hear of them after that.

MyMother

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a joke. Is this the first time they have PSC scholars? Why didn't any of the previous generation challenge the status quo?