• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Macbook Anti-Virus

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ever since I started using MacBook about 10 years ago I had stopped using anti-virus cos was told macOS is not vulnerable. Lately understood from a relative working quite high level in a software security company told me more Macs affected by virus and malware. When using Windows I used to install Bitdefender was very happy with it cos it's simple and don't affect the function of the device unlike Norton which I had nightmares as it slowed down the system. Was pleasantly surprised Bitdefender has Mac version so I purchased a copy.

Was pleasantly surprised when I received the receipt that what I paid for was good for 3 devices.

hS0ACSW.jpg

Installation was very easy and I made a full scan and detected 18 problems

JLfafSy.png

All from emails

j6x4uL5.jpg

Above 3 images are my first using Imgur I hope turn out well

Last edited:

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
My guess is all the 18 viruses were meant for windows operating system.
Did not harm your Mac one bit.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
My guess is all the 18 viruses were meant for windows operating system.
Did not harm your Mac one bit.

Yes I guess so. Anyway now that I have this anti-virus installed and with the recent cyber attacks in the world I believe I can sleep well. Hope this post helpful for those Mac users.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have unhealthy hex habits because I download torrents on a PC. Funny thing is I've never been a victim of the recent ransome ware:confused:

However I have recently taken the precaution of using a free version of anti-virus SW on my PC :smile:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Boss thanks for the info, I read and found that this can be installed in iPhones too. Do you find this TotalAV slowing your Mac? Did you install in your iPad or mobile phones too? How is it?

Have not noticed any speed difference on my computer or my phone so if it does affect performance it can't be by much.

If you do notice a difference it will have to be caused by the real time monitoring which can be turned off if you choose.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes I guess so. Anyway now that I have this anti-virus installed and with the recent cyber attacks in the world I believe I can sleep well. Hope this post helpful for those Mac users.

There is always the possibility of the email server being hacked & compromised. This happened to yahoo when hackers got into their servers. This allowed them to send trojans to those using yahoo email.

This happened a few years ago to yahoo. The trojan would go through all the yahoo users's address book & sent out infected email.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Have not noticed any speed difference on my computer or my phone so if it does affect performance it can't be by much.

If you do notice a difference it will have to be caused by the real time monitoring which can be turned off if you choose.

Thank you I will look into this

There is always the possibility of the email server being hacked & compromised. This happened to yahoo when hackers got into their servers. This allowed them to send trojans to those using yahoo email.

This happened a few years ago to yahoo. The trojan would go through all the yahoo users's address book & sent out infected email.

I always think bloody anti-virus companies are the ones who make viruses and trojan horse to make money