• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious SRHZ vendors rebuttal to Amy Khor

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Educated in 3 continents - Asia, US and Europe, PHD and former lecturer and she forgot to take the common sense module. If someone stood in front of a class of Sec 4 students and asked if the Sungei Road vendors can sell online, what do you think their response will be? And as MP she is representing people.

This is something I noticed this PM does very differently from his predecessors, hold on to deadweight. So we have a bloated cabinet, ministries having 2 ministers, multiple MOSs and a PMO office with even more deadweight.

decent02

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ask them to sell at flea market also doesn't make sense.
Imagine a stall selling bohemian goods by millennials and next to it another stall sell old second hand goods.
I give up

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who these vendors vote for? And that is why mudlanders should never be allowed into Singapore parliament or be civil serpents...why r we treating foreigners better than us?

Annunaki

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Govt is without a doubt a total fuckup in the way they handle the vendors after announcing the closure of the market three years ago. Either the fucker who is supposed to settle this with the vendors got posted out or someone had been sitting on it for the past three years hoping no one will say anything along the way and the vendors will all quietly fuck off after the closure.

However what is more fuckup than the Govt are the extremist activists like Terry Xu, Tam peck Hoon, Woon Tien wei and fat fuck Kirsten han etc who cannot even agree among themselves and ended up creating multiple facebook pages, campaigns and petitions and tried to politicise the shit out of the closure of the market like what they did previously with Amos Yee.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
i won't miss this market….may i request the good minister to focus on the area next to club st carpark….these dimwits are now flocking there.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, this is unusual. I also cannot understand why we cannot set aside a small corner of Singapore for these dying trade. I remember that SIA in the 80s got so fed with STPB in failing to protecting heritage look to attract tourist and seat revenue that they went and complained to MOF who contended a meeting with the Minister.

The Govt is without a doubt a total fuckup in the way they handle the vendors after announcing the closure of the market three years ago. Either the fucker who is supposed to settle this with the vendors got posted out or someone had been sitting on it for the past three years hoping no one will say anything along the way and the vendors will all quietly fuck off after the closure.

They struggle because they have different agendas and their own pet projects. Some of them are into revisionist history because the people they interact with cannot handle giving up on their past. I read a recent TOC article where they revisited the separation of Singapore from Malaysia. Anyone who followed history will know that the Singapore cabinet preferred to part of Malaysia except for one man. The way the article was written it appeared to show they they discovered this by some scholarly analysis.

However what is more fuckup than the Govt are the extremist activists like Terry Xu, Tam peck Hoon, Woon Tien wei and fat fuck Kirsten han etc who cannot even agree among themselves and ended up creating multiple facebook pages, campaigns and petitions and tried to politicise the shit out of the closure of the market like what they did previously with Amos Yee.

decent02

Alfrescian
Loyal
i won't miss this market….may i request the good minister to focus on the area next to club st carpark….these dimwits are now flocking there.
These vendors make a meagre $20 to $50 a day. Have a heart. Rental income could be the reason why the government is clearing them.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... LMFAO. Amy Khor ask the uneducated vendors to sell their goods online. What a dumbwit. Stir ahhhhhh
tis shows gahmen is able 2 cum up wif creatif, outta-box n million-$-salary-justified solutions 2 help peasants ...

gahmen has been telling peasants 2 pick up a new skill ... vendors can make use of tis golden opportunity 2 learn internet ... sam goi wif oni primary education can learn 2 b a millionaire ... there shud not b comprains from vendors ... any refusal by vendors 2 do learn a new skill is clear laziness ...

if ze vendors r willing 2 pick up internet, den even ze uneducated in sinkielan r internet savvy ... sinkielan can boast another world crass achievemen ... other cuntries wil b rushing 2 learn from sinkielan on tis ...

now iz not gahmen is not helping peasants ... gud gahmen haf given peasants mor dan enuff solutions ... peasants juz dowan 2 help demselves ... dey can oni haf demselves 2 brame ...

decent02

Alfrescian
Loyal
tis shows gahmen is able 2 cum up wif creatif, outta-box n million-$-salary-justified solutions 2 help peasants ...

gahmen has been telling peasants 2 pick up a new skill ... vendors can make use of tis golden opportunity 2 learn internet ... sam goi wif oni primary education can learn 2 b a millionaire ... there shud not b comprains from vendors ... any refusal by vendors 2 do learn a new skill is clear laziness ...

if ze vendors r willing 2 pick up internet, den even ze uneducated in sinkielan r internet savvy ... sinkielan can boast another world crass achievemen ... other cuntries wil b rushing 2 learn from sinkielan on tis ...

now iz not gahmen is not helping peasants ... gud gahmen haf given peasants mor dan enuff solutions ... peasants juz dowan 2 help demselves ... dey can oni haf demselves 2 brame ...
okay you win. Perhaps you can set up a company to conduct Internet awareness class. Prior to that lesson, maybe you should also conduct an English beginner class for the old folks. Then after that you can also sell the old folks a pentium i7 laptop. Huat ahhhh. Don't forget to teach the old folks how to access qoo10 to advertise their goods.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You go to any 1st world country and there are flea markets in nearly every town and city. Some have become institutions with tourists thronging these places. Many of them are manned by the elderly to pass away their time and earn a bit on the side. With the help of the authorities, the whole concept of a flea market can be reworked. If the location is needed for redevelopment, thats fine, move them on to the next location and take the opportunity to do the place up. I used to wonder why the Old National Stadium was always vacant when the place can be used for flea market on non-match days.

If well established, better second-hand gems will become available.

I can you that if a Minister decided to back a proper flea market, every plp will immediately support it, the prostitute press will write opinion profound pieces on how our leaders had the foresight to conceive these things.

These vendors make a meagre $20 to $50 a day. Have a heart. Rental income could be the reason why the government is clearing them.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to visit this place and those in countries where I visit. I seldom buy anything and always end up buying street food. But as I walk around these stalls, lots of memories, some interesting items and some crazy stuff. Pleasant and much better than some tourist attraction where they make you run the gauntlet thru the souvenir shop.

decent02

Alfrescian
Loyal
You go to any 1st world country and there are flea markets in nearly every town and city. Some have become institutions with tourists thronging these places. Many of them are manned by the elderly to pass away their time and earn a bit on the side
Bro, Singapore is unlike other 1st world countries. They speak one language. The elderly in those countries speak English. Our elderly cannot even string one sentence in english. That place is for local shoppers and occasionally some tourists.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The same people are dead set to make another place a historical site despite the late owner (who is NOT my father ) well known wish to demolish it while at the same time demolishing a site like SR with well known historical value.
Many reservist will remember how Sungei Rd safe their skin/wallets by providing them with cheap replacements for items they lost.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tourists go thru Little India, Arab streets, China town etc to see, smell and learn about people, their culture and their very existence. Its the experience. I being to one in Joburg where amongst the rows and rows of African vendors from the region, there was a Chinese Baba chap that was cooking and selling Beef Rendang, Nasi Lemak, Chilli Goreng Ikan etc> what a surprise. Held on Sundays and I wondered how a simple concept is so elusive to our Government.

Bro, Singapore is unlike other 1st world countries. They speak one language. The elderly in those countries speak English. Our elderly cannot even string one sentence in english. That place is for local shoppers and occasionally some tourists.

decent02

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tourists go thru Little India, Arab streets, China town etc to see, smell and learn about people, their culture and their very existence. Its the experience. I being to one in Joburg where amongst the rows and rows of African vendors from the region, there was a Chinese Baba chap that was cooking and selling Beef Rendang, Nasi Lemak, Chilli Goreng Ikan etc> what a surprise. Held on Sundays and I wondered how a simple concept is so elusive to our Government.
I have been to street food alley and flea markets in most countries. Is always how the government acknowledged their values in terms of economic growth. Remember Singapore used to have road side hawkers in the 70's and all were cleared. A big pity. Definitely bring back a lot of memories for me as baby boomers. When in KL, Taipei, Manila, HCMC, Hanoi, and in most Chinese cities, my preference is always to go and find street food. Rule with a heart and everything will be fine.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am glad the flea market will be cleared. They are peddling junk and they don't make enough to pay simple rent. Hence, they want to stay on that road indefinitely rent-free. Kick out the freebooters.

MyMother

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am glad the flea market will be cleared. They are peddling junk and they don't make enough to pay simple rent. Hence, they want to stay on that road indefinitely rent-free. Kick out the freebooters.

You are a fine representative of those PAP bloodsuckers.