• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Singapore's best Doctor who can cure terminal cancer suspended for 8 months

iluvgst

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: Prominent oncologist Dr Ang Peng Tiam has been suspended for eight months on Tuesday (Jun 27) over charges of professional misconduct.
In April 2010, a 55-year-old woman with lung cancer consulted Dr Ang, the medical director of Parkway Cancer Centre, who told her there was “at least a 70 per cent chance that her disease would respond to treatment and achieve control” with chemotherapy and targeted therapy.
Dr Ang, 59, did not offer her the option of surgery – despite the fact that surgery was the preferred initial treatment for patients suffering from the same stage of cancer, according to the Singapore Medical Council (SMC).
The patient underwent the prescribed treatment, but her cancer spread and she died six months later. Her family then lodged a complaint with the SMC against Dr Ang.
Four charges of professional misconduct were brought against him in April 2015. In July 2016, he was convicted of two of the charges by a disciplinary tribunal appointed by the SMC, and fined S$25,000.

Dr Ang appealed to the Court of Three Judges against his conviction. The SMC also appealed for the fine to be substituted with a six-month suspension for each of the two charges.
On Tuesday, the court upheld Dr Ang’s convictions, but allowed the SMC’s appeal and substituted the fine with an eight-month suspension for both charges.

In its judgment, the court said that while doctors should evaluate the pros and cons of various treatments and may depart from guidelines when there are good reasons, patients should still be informed of the viable treatment options available to them.

“A doctor might believe that a particular treatment option is in his patient’s best interests, but ultimately, it is the patient who must make the decision on her treatment,” the court said.

Dr Ang had also admitted before the SMC disciplinary tribunal that surgery was the only prospect of cure for the patient’s cancer, and that she might have up to a 20 per cent chance of cure had she undergone initial surgery.

The court also upheld the disciplinary tribunal’s finding that Dr Ang had offered the patient and her family false hope. Dr Ang had presented an optimistic picture that she was likely to have her disease under control with his prescribed therapy, when he did not in fact have any reasonable basis for such optimism, the SMC said.

On sentencing, the court considered the fact that the SMC had taken four-and-a-half years to serve the notice of inquiry on Dr Ang after it received the complaint against him. It held that the delay had caused Dr Ang anxiety and distress with the proceedings hanging over his head.

The court decided that an appropriate sentence would have been a 16-month suspension, but taking into account the “inordinate delay”, decided to halve the suspension to eight months.

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-peng-tiam-suspended-for-professional-8984120

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Ang Peng Thiam's modus operandi for years and years. He sells hope. If you don't try then 0% chance. Try got chance. Makes family feel guilty if they don't try. Don't try sure die.

Well known by us doctors.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Dr should have told them the patient got no hope anymore, just go home and wait to die.

The problem is that if you tell Asian patients this, they will be very unhappy to pay your fees and kpkb. If always tell the truth end up work for free, and/or nobody will come to see you liao.

Asian patients love to hear what they want to hear, love to hear good things even if they are lies. There is no place for honest straight talking doctors in Singapore private practice to make big bucks.

It is the Asian mentality to always want to be cheated.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem is that if you tell Asian patients this, they will be very unhappy to pay your fees and kpkb. If always tell the truth end up work for free, and/or nobody will come to see you liao.

Asian patients love to hear what they want to hear, love to hear good things even if they are lies. There is no place for honest straight talking doctors in Singapore private practice to make big bucks.

its not about what the patient wants,the doctor is a sick fuck and probably so are u,ur a sick dog.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal

You sound like a prize cunt…stay the fuck out of singapore and don't come back, you fucking leech.

Guys like you are the main reason I cant stand doctors….and there are hundreds like you in the world.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oncologists' patients have a high mortality rate. it's not whether they will die but when. when patients' lives are prolonged, they blame oncologists for prolonging but not curing (knowing there's no cure). when lives are shortened, families blame oncologists for not prolonging their loved ones' suffering. damned if they do and damned if they don't. with sinkies the blame game goes up 6.9 times.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Guys like you are the main reason I cant stand doctors….and there are hundreds like you in the world.

Yup as an honest straight talking doctor nobody wanted to see me. I sure as hell won't be going back to sinkieland you hircismus.

I hope you never have to see a doctor in your life. Ie you die of a heart attack quick and simple cos if your family brings you to one get ready to be cheated and bescumbered.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ang Peng Thiam's modus operandi for years and years. He sells hope. If you don't try then 0% chance. Try got chance. Makes family feel guilty if they don't try. Don't try sure die.

Well known by us doctors.

That is partly true.

But the more insidious part is that Ang Peng Thiam is driven by greed and didnt live up to the Hippocratic Oath. Is chemo treatment best for a liver cancer patient or is surgery better? Chemo treatment brings in more money. There lies APT's problem

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
oncologists' patients have a high mortality rate. it's not whether they will die but when. when patients' lives are prolonged, they blame oncologists for prolonging but not curing (knowing there's no cure). when lives are shortened, families blame oncologists for not prolonging their loved ones' suffering. damned if they do and damned if they don't. with sinkies the blame game goes up 6.9 times.

There are many good oncologists in the public sector as well.

Doctors who go private are mainly doing it because they want to work less or want to earn more money. Simple as that. There are good doctors in the public hospitals. And they stay because they believe in their work and are happy with what they earn and helping people.

Private sector is caveat emptor for patients. As the judge has implied. It is just like when you buy a property you don't just listen to what the selling agent says right? These days got internet can check on your own and verify facts.

Private oncologists serve either the freaking rich elites who don't blink an eye when it comes to money or the desperate middle class who think miracles can happen. Both easy to cheat. I am just curious who refers patients to APT? I bet all his patients are those read newspaper articles look up internet and find him one. Just because he was the one who treated LHL lymphoma successfully..... that is just ONE patient lah. Ninnyheads!

Anyway straight talk like what I say is downright slammed by sinkies. They like to hear all the nice good things etc etc.

By the way I have a microphallus so go easy on me ok?

Go figure.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Doctors who go private are mainly doing it because they want to work less or want to earn more money. Simple as that. There are good doctors in the public hospitals. And they stay because they believe in their work and are happy with what they earn and helping people.

Private sector is caveat emptor for patients. As the judge has implied. It is just like when you buy a property you don't just listen to what the selling agent says right? These days got internet can check on your own and verify facts.

Private oncologists serve either the freaking rich elites who don't blink an eye when it comes to money or the desperate middle class who think miracles can happen. Both easy to cheat. I am just curious who refers patients to APT? I bet all his patients are those read newspaper articles look up internet and find him one. Just because he was the one who treated LHL lymphoma successfully..... that is just ONE patient lah. Ninnyheads!

Anyway straight talk like what I say is downright slammed by sinkies. They like to hear all the nice good things etc etc.

Go figure.

sinkies will pay for "miracles" and nigerian scams, when "best" and "atas" are bandied about. just look at chc, lighthouse, ncc, and or sinkie gluttons who die die must try the "best" cardiac-arresting bak kut teh. when near death then pay and pray for miracles. if pubic doc, sinkies consider not atas and good enough when death is at the door. the messiah or savior will turn things around complex is alive and well in sg.

you have microphallus? cannot lah. ckmpd will not invite you to her bdsm parties. ask alamakinky. he's expert in reversing shrinking spear of longinus.

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal

Go figure.

alot of private sectors docs are bullsh!t. so many scandals and all full of hot air. remind me of Dr Susan Lim and her bullsh!t till can con the Brunei royalty of $60m and yet patient also died . same scenario. terminal stage cancer. worse is she is not even an oncologist. all typical arrogant farkers and full of bullsh!t. no wonder singapore medical tourism reputation all down the drain.

rambo22

Alfrescian
Loyal
alot of private sectors docs are bullsh!t. so many scandals and all full of hot air. remind me of Dr Susan Lim and her bullsh!t till can con the Brunei royalty of $60m and yet patient also died . same scenario. terminal stage cancer. worse is she is not even an oncologist. all typical arrogant farkers and full of bullsh!t. no wonder singapore medical tourism reputation all down the drain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gO5m6luIKE

you hear what (Dr Richard Teo) said

very successful doc

up lorry at age 40

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gO5m6luIKE

you hear what (Dr Richard Teo) said

very successful doc

up lorry at age 40

He was my medical school classmate. Only when he knew he was going to die then he changed.

Not everyone has the luxury or curse of having time to prepare for death.

I do recall that he had a couple of re's during Med school ie failed exam first time retake then pass. I wonder how he got into ophthalmology? Guess someone in ophthalmology liked him.

Richard was always pretty flashy in Med school. And frankly speaking his story will not be so widely circulated IF he did not make his big bucks and was just a GP earning $100,00 a year. That's the irony isn't it?

Also all those super fitness freaks out there who have great bodies and run marathons and think you are so healthy well you are likely gonna die of cancer. I have seen so many who cannot believe that they have cancer because they are so fit. Well fitness might lower your risk for heart disease and stroke but it does nothing for cancer. In fact because your risk of dying of the first two is low then it is most likely you will die of the third.

No need think so much. Just live the life you want. Follow your own values. Be contented.

I have another Med school classmate also making millions in private sector and he is a part of Porsche club Singapore. So who cares what Richard said man!

Me I decided not to get sucked into the sinkie society game that Richard talks about. Get out change the playing board.

Cheers folks!

Last edited:

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Also all those super fitness freaks out there who have great bodies and run marathons and think you are so healthy well you are likely gonna die of cancer. I have seen so many who cannot believe that they have cancer because they are so fit. Well fitness might lower your risk for heart disease and stroke but it does nothing for cancer. In fact because your risk of dying of the first two is low then it is most likely you will die of the third.

There are 2 kinds of fitness freaks. Those that go to gym and the other group just got addicted to whatever sports such as cycling, running etc

From my encounters, fitness freaks who got cancer are usually in the first group. What really surprise me is that they are also usually health freaks, very strict on their diet. Friends in the second group usually died of sudden simple illness, such as flu ... I guess they have over stressed their body. They also die of heart attack.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
What bemuses me is how MOH/SMC can allow medical practitioners to set up public listed companies like the one APT is part of?

I mean talk about conflict of interest!!

That said I know of quite afew good caring honourable medical practitioners in local private practice who appear generally able to balance practising a high ethical standard of medicine and making a reasonably good living at the same time.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
http://www.healthprofessionals.gov....nds_of_decision/Dr Ang Peng Tiam (170206).pdf

Full grounds of decision.

Moral of the story

1) always do all the necessary tests. Unless you are doing like tests totally unrelated to the illness I have never seen any patient complain about doing more tests.

2) always refer to colleagues for consults. More opinions are better than just your own. Safety in numbers.

3) always be more conservative in estimates of probabilities. Under promise and over deliver is better.

4) if the SMC really wants to get you they will. Even if it is 3 years later and getting more opinions from abroad.

I suspect that with his ruling we may see more complaints and cases against APT in the future. This is only the SMC disciplinary tribunal findings. There might also be a legal suit of negligence somewhere. $$$$.

Amen.