• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat 1st Commando Battalion Win Best Combat Unit Again! WTF Are The Other SAF Units Doing?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Re: 1st Commando Battalion Win Best Combat Unit Again! WTF Are The Other SAF Units Do

Always wondered how they come out with the winner in a non battle/no war situation.

How do you pit the black beret with their AFV/APC/IFV's ect2 against the red beret in battlefield situation ?

This is the criteria:

The assessment factors of the competition are:

• Combat Proficiency Test
  • Marksmanship Test
  • Individual Physical Proficiency Test
  • Standard Obstacle Course
  • Unarmed Combat
  • Security
  • Manpower Matters
  • Logistics Readiness Inspection
  • Vehicle State
  • Training Safety

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Re: 1st Commando Battalion Win Best Combat Unit Again! WTF Are The Other SAF Units Do

speaking of cheating I once had an army mate who was from guards tell me how the commandoes cheated. They were having some friendly firing competition involving fake fire arms and some type of armour that would light up if the laser beam from the firearms hit them as in it was counted as they had been shot. What occurred was that the guards armour had been tampered with so they always lit up and either the guards guns or commandos armour couldn't light up even when hit so it was a case of cheating and this resulted in an all out brawl between guards and commandos and friend told me his oc or co got his front teeth knocked out by some rifle butt. Related to me 3rd hand but don't believe it to be false.

U want to know how Commandoes cheat? I will tell u how they cheat. They used to have 2 sets of rifles. All commandoes issued with short barreled CAR-15 and also AR-15/M-16. The Longer barrel being more accurate, so When they go for range, they use the longer barreled M-16 and get better scores which affects their Best Unit Competition. But during exercise, they will use the short barreled CAR-15. In fact, the CAR is more often used by them. Armour has no choice because we are issued with only the CAR-15. The shorter barrel at 400m makes the CAR quite inaccurate. That is why few Armour personnel get the marksmanship badges, and that is also why Armour comes in runners up a few times to Commandoes.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

IPPT & SOC scores of the units. like that commando already advantage as most other units HQ company men mostly not fit type.

then there is annual logistics inspection scores known as LRI. So the unit with smallest logistics tail confirm advantage. Armour most disadvantage as each vehicles also have a long SOP list of stores to inspect in addition to the CQ store. Armour list of crew served weapons and individual small arms is also the largest in SAF. A combat team armskote will have at least 20+ GPMGs and 20+ coxial MGs. Not to mention the CIS HMGs, 40AGLs, recoilless rifles etc etc.. The more the items, the higher chance of having faults.

last but not least, there the annual evalutation test where each units are put thru the paces in the field. in armour, getting battlion vehicles refuel and resupplies in the field plus vehicle repair (ie. vehicle throw tracks) and recovery in the field within a limited timeframe are part of the assessment. we havent even start on the chiong sua part yet.

Not i want to put down the commandos but the annual best unit is for them to lose only as being elite light infantry do give them big advantages.

Also, Armour has to use the short barreled CAR -15 for their marksmanship test, which is inaccurate at 400m, and doubtful at 300m. Commandos also issued with the CAR-15, but they will not use it for marksmanship. They will use it on exercises. For marksmanship, they have another rifled issued to them, either the longer barreled AR-15 or M-16. If they had to use CAR-15 for their marksmanship, their score will be the shits.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

My time in NS revealed to me that most other units are slack. Ok. War experience aside (does not apply to any unit in Sg), the commando soldiers have a higher level of intelligence than most other soldiers. Things like falling in quickly, presentation, teamwork, most other units , with the exception of SAF Boys, can be quite disappointing, even embarrassing sometimes. Take my hats off to the 1st Battalion Commandoes, they are good. And deserve the award.

Cheers!

All I know is that if I surround Hendon camp with the old 40 SAR, or the old 46 SAR, or the new 80 SAR and I whack the entire belly load of ammo into their camp, there will be no Commando left alive to raise the white flag of surrender. And if the 1st Commando Battalion surrounded an armour camp, and attacked it with full force, I would say that the armour units will still be standing at the end of the day. SO, who is the best combat unit?

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal

If there is a selection process to become a commando and by virtue of this selection you pick the best...how not to be best?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This is the criteria:

The assessment factors of the competition are:

• Combat Proficiency Test
  • Marksmanship Test
  • Individual Physical Proficiency Test
  • Standard Obstacle Course
  • Unarmed Combat
  • Security
  • Manpower Matters
  • Logistics Readiness Inspection
  • Vehicle State
  • Training Safety

my unit get recon 2A in kanchanburi because not enough straight legs(average 8-12) in each tag team as claimed by CSM. Possible?

AI battlion only SM1 crew used carbine, the rest use personal weapons (ie. M203,SAW and M16S1) for Marksmanship test. SAW gunners seldom get badge because SAW not reliable.

So do commando run SOC with carbine or M16S1?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

All I know is that if I surround Hendon camp with the old 40 SAR, or the old 46 SAR, or the new 80 SAR and I whack the entire belly load of ammo into their camp, there will be no Commando left alive to raise the white flag of surrender. And if the 1st Commando Battalion surrounded an armour camp, and attacked it with full force, I would say that the armour units will still be standing at the end of the day. SO, who is the best combat unit?

Still the Commandos. There is a lot of prestige in wearing the Red Beret. I can't say the same for the other coloured berets.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

maybe it is easier (ironically more difficult) to list out the past winners of best combat unit which is not a commando battalion.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

maybe it is easier (ironically more difficult) to list out the past winners of best combat unit which is not a commando battalion.

Competition started in 1969. Commandoes have won it 1974-1977, 1985, 1987-1990, 1992-1996, 1999-2001, 2004-2017.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Since there is no way to determine actual combat effectiveness, the only way to judge how good a soldier is by their fitness ratings. In this area, I am doubtful any other unit in Singapore even comes close to the Commandoes. They are fit as hell. No doubt about this.

Cheers!

i.............................look good in the parade square do not mean good soldier...........

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Since there is no way to determine actual combat effectiveness, the only way to judge how good a soldier is by their fitness ratings. In this area, I am doubtful any other unit in Singapore even comes close to the Commandoes. They are fit as hell. No doubt about this.

Cheers!

if the award is 69 free bonks in geylang for each soldier, open house for sinkie milfs to get impregnated (for future ns men), 696 free upskirts, 6969 free panty sniffing, all units will buckle up and go for it.