• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat 1M stock+cash

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
how much is enough for retirement for 2 person,
let's say the couple has 1M stock+cash

and 1M can last for how long?

iluvgst

Alfrescian
Loyal
if house fully paid up, use public transport and live frugally on the dividends at around 4percent pa, should be able to last a lifetime.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
depends on ur lifestyle requirements i suppose
assuming a safe withdrawal rate of 4 %=40,000 income a year for you and ur husband a modest lifestyle without eating into ur capital
of course if u dont intend to leave a legacy behind to ur children or a smaller one,then u can increase ur rate of consumption a bit.
for me im still young,to be honest i value freedom and time and pursue life goals and experiences more,i dont mind sacrificing on the comfort to attain that so $200k or $300k is enough for semi retirement.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not enough. must have at least usd6.9m in total assets with zero liability to retire comfortably. when faced with acute medical condition or long term hospitalization, will not spend a dime on medical as it's a waste of good money. will visit dignity-death states and die peacefully. money will all go to puppy.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

It can last easily two generations, assuming frugal but reasonable standard of living. People often overcalculate the amount of money they really need to retire comfortably, fearing this and fearing that. The reality is that many people before them have retired on way less and live comfortably till the day they died with little fanfare. It's usually those extreme cases of poverty stricken cases which makes the news that caused too many people to be overly conservative with their savings.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Doubt it will be enough if you plan to stay in Spore because of the PAP's greed. They are a party of greed & will keep on increasing the cost of living in Spore.

Just look at the cost of water which they plan to increase by 30%. How is anyone going to do any kind of financial planning for the future with such a gov't in charge :confused:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Doubt it will be enough if you plan to stay in Spore because of the PAP's greed. They are a party of greed & will keep on increasing the cost of living in Spore.

Just look at the cost of water which they plan to increase by 30%. How is anyone going to do any kind of financial planning for the future with such a gov't in charge :confused:

that's an increase of 30% over 5 years lah, which equates to about 5-6% per year. due to sinkies' abuse and wastage of water as they think they are either free or dirt cheap, cost of water should be increased by 6.9% every year or up to 69% over the course of 6.9 years.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

$1,000,000.00 should not be spent. You have to make it do the work for you. With a decent portfolio you'll get $40,000 to $50,000 per annum after taxes.

If you can live on the yield alone then your $1,000,000 can last forever bearing in mind that $40,000 today will buy less in 20 year's time. Plug in an inflation rate of about 3% and you can easily work it out.

However if you intend to spend your principal sum then you should go to http://www.cpasitesolutions.com/content/calcs/index.php?calc=ret03 and run the numbers.

You should also refer to this thread: https://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?151153-The-RETIREMENT-thread

My lifestyle requires productive assets of at least $5,000,000 . I'm getting about $300,000 a year after taxes on relatively low risk investments.

Only you can answer the question "How much I need for retirement?". It all boils down to what sort of retirement you want to enjoy.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that's an increase of 30% over 5 years lah, which equates to about 5-6% per year. due to sinkies' abuse and wastage of water as they think they are either free or dirt cheap, cost of water should be increased by 6.9% every year or up to 69% over the course of 6.9 years.

The increase in water prices is just one of many other necessities being increased lah.
Other hikes like electricity, medical costs, rentals, minimum sum, ... etc, are increases that we can't avoid & will hit our pocket books.

An example of Death by a thousand cuts.

Look at the $$ requirement for medishield life. They are going to take it out from your CPF & if you don't have enough in your CPF they are going to prevent you from leaving the country. Leaving the country has become a necessity & not a luxury. Go to JB & you'll see many older Sporeans shopping there. I go there for cheaper haircuts, medications, ... etc

As long as you stay in Spore you are vulnerable to all the PAP increases.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The increase in water prices is just one of many other necessities being increased lah.
Other hikes like electricity, medical costs, rentals, minimum sum, ... etc, are increases that we can't avoid & will hit our pocket books.

An example of Death by a thousand cuts.

Look at the $$ requirement for medishield life. They are going to take it out from your CPF & if you don't have enough in your CPF they are going to prevent you from leaving the country. Leaving the country has become a necessity & not a luxury. Go to JB & you'll see many older Sporeans shopping there. I go there for cheaper haircuts, medications, ... etc

As long as you stay in Spore you are vulnerable to all the PAP increases.

all these increases are great sex therapy for sinkies. the orgy has never been so good. sinkies need to be squeezed and cut down to the bones in order to feel any pain. otherwise, if 6.9 k's are flowing smoothly they won't feel the enlarging shaft up their collective arse. it will be the longest bdsm experience by 6.9m day in day out - a pleasure trove of enchanted and worshipping souls in unending orgasms. shiok.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$1m+ stock at the very least can get $30k nett annually. Retirement is not do nothing per se, but rather to work because one wants to and not because one needs to. $30k nett annually and if you rent out your HDB flat, that's at least another 20k annually, $50k conservatively is enough for one to retire in My or Thai comfortably. Take up a sideline, say uber or grab, buy and sell things online, web designing, resell hosting space and one can easily add another $10k based on the sideline. $60k for a couple to retire annually is sufficient, therefore, it can be done.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Do u use 6% more water every year?do u take 30% longer baths every 5 years?no we dont,but one thing I can guarantee u is increasing every year is the population.we are being forced to pay more for less for goods and services and resources in our own country.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A recommendation if you are not an investment expert. Look at something like the Vanguard index funds. They have plenty of different index funds that you can invest in. Choose the index funds that is suitable for your investment goal e.g. for growth or one that provides $ to live on.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do u use 6% more water every year?do u take 30% longer baths every 5 years?no we dont,but one thing I can guarantee u is increasing every year is the population.we are being forced to pay more for less for goods and services and resources in our own country.

when it's hitting the wallet, sinkies will consciously cut back on wasting water. they are currently using 69% over the amount they can live with comfortably. cutting back 6.9% for each sinkie will be cause for celebration.