• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat ST Forum: Are HDB residents tenants or owners?

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
And they are still asking....

http://www.straitstimes.com/forum/letters-in-print/are-hdb-residents-tenants-or-owners

Are HDB residents tenants or owners?

The report on the homes in Geylang Lorong 3 reaching the end of their leases highlights the issues surrounding leasehold properties (Govt taking back 191 homes in Geylang when lease ends; June 21).

While applying to rent out my HDB flat, I noticed that the Housing Board referred to me as a "tenant", and my potential tenant as a "sub-tenant".

I have paid up my HDB flat fully, and the title deed has been left in the safe possession of the HDB who, it appears, is my landlord.

Is that correct or should the wording of these documents be updated?

If I am an HDB tenant, why am I required to pay property tax?

Can we have some clarity on whether HDB dwellers are tenants or real home owners for 99 years?

Larry Leong

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have a strata title deed to show proof that your indeed own a piece of that block of land your HDB sits on...then you are indeed an owner.

If you only have a lease agreement of sorts...then you are a lessee.

Another test...go to any bank and say you want to an an overdraft facility and secure it against your HDB flat.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not to mention the "upgrading" fees you have to pay for their bad mistakes and planning....

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal

http://www.straitstimes.com/forum/letters-in-print/are-hdb-residents-tenants-or-owners

The report on the homes in Geylang Lorong 3 reaching the end of their leases highlights the issues surrounding leasehold properties (Govt taking back 191 homes in Geylang when lease ends; June 21).

While applying to rent out my HDB flat, I noticed that the Housing Board referred to me as a "tenant", and my potential tenant as a "sub-tenant".

I have paid up my HDB flat fully, and the title deed has been left in the safe possession of the HDB who, it appears, is my landlord.

Can we have some clarity on whether HDB dwellers are tenants or real home owners for 99 years?

Larry Leong

Larry, 70% of zikaporeans say you should STFU. Idiot.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Larry is so blur. If he really owns the HDB flat, why does he need to apply for permission from HDB to rent it out?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends on whether legal, accounting or layman definition. In layman I can argue you are owner. I can also argue you are tenant. Whichever the case you can sublet out your whole unit and make good money, thanks to Loong and the PAP. Don't sweat the small stuffs.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Larry Leong

Actually it's more lease ownership...so one owns the lease till the lease expires or the lease gets sold to someone else. Hdb control every thing..but own private freehold property also no use..pap will take it back...

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
let's dogsbody HDB for covfefe to see if there is any skeleton of LKY inside their closet

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Technically its the same outside Singapore. Its not freehold, same will apply to 999 and other private developments on leasehold land. Its the least of one's worry. In the west, even freehold land purchased outright carry master covenants so Jethro cannot have a roof of psychedelic colours. Freehold residential land with everything else being equal carries less value if no covenants are in place.

Last edited:

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
End of the day....the question shld be if HDB is public housing, how come the public cannot afford it, leased or owned?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is indeed the question to be asked. Why is public housing with 99yr old leasehold so expensive if scale and not for profit approach are factors. Teachers Estate in Sembawang was successfully done at affordable price as it was done by teachers as as cooperative with no profit intention in mind.

And amazingly HDB claims it is subsidised housing.

End of the day....the question shld be if HDB is public housing, how come the public cannot afford it, leased or owned?

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal

...don't think is affordable compare to Matland...their gahman actually will built those rm30k low cost housing for their citizen.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is indeed the question to be asked. Why is public housing with 99yr old leasehold so expensive if scale and not for profit approach are factors. Teachers Estate in Sembawang was successfully done at affordable price as it was done by teachers as as cooperative with no profit intention in mind.

And amazingly HDB claims it is subsidised housing.

IMHO....what better way to tie down your hard earned CPF to a book value?