Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    38
    My Reputation Points: 200 / Power: 0

    Exclamation Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    SANTA CLARA, USA — Singapore could be the first country in the world to get a widespread transport service made up entirely of self-driving cars.

    That’s the view of Glen De Vos, the chief technology officer of Delphi Corporation, a major automotive supplier that is working to launch just such a robot taxi business here.

    Delphi already has one self-driving car on the road here, and will introduce two more this month to gather more data as it prepares to operate an on-demand taxi service minus taxi drivers.

    The company has been working with the Land Transport Authority since August last year on an autonomous taxi trial. The project is designed to figure out what is needed on the infrastructure side — in terms of the road network, data centres and so on — to make robot cabs viable here.

    If all goes to plan, by 2020 you should be able to summon a driverless car with your smartphone to take you wherever you want.

    More at https://sg.yahoo.com/news/taxi-drive...223246289.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    20,710
    My Reputation Points: 4545 / Power: 12

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    gahmen trying hard 2 ramp up jobless sinkies ...

    ... juz another 3.5224˘ worth ... (gst 7%, inflation 8% (2008) n tariff 21% (2008), 23.32% (2010), 9.8%(2011) incl.) ...
    fr n original, humble 2˘ ... u now got a whopping 3.5224˘ worth fr me! ...
    tis value is fully guaranteed (wun morning say dun guarantee & @ nite say guarantee) ...
    ...


    world cup 2014 chiobu n colorful fans updated: 2day
    octopus regina makes world cup 2014 predictions updated: 25jun

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    154
    My Reputation Points: -955 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    aiyo...what's going to happen to our krafty?


    Quote Originally Posted by VonClaudia View Post
    SANTA CLARA, USA — Singapore could be the first country in the world to get a widespread transport service made up entirely of self-driving cars.

    That’s the view of Glen De Vos, the chief technology officer of Delphi Corporation, a major automotive supplier that is working to launch just such a robot taxi business here.

    Delphi already has one self-driving car on the road here, and will introduce two more this month to gather more data as it prepares to operate an on-demand taxi service minus taxi drivers.

    The company has been working with the Land Transport Authority since August last year on an autonomous taxi trial. The project is designed to figure out what is needed on the infrastructure side — in terms of the road network, data centres and so on — to make robot cabs viable here.

    If all goes to plan, by 2020 you should be able to summon a driverless car with your smartphone to take you wherever you want.

    More at https://sg.yahoo.com/news/taxi-drive...223246289.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,876
    My Reputation Points: 363 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    PAP is phasing out all the Sinkies in every trade.

    [𨳒你老母臭閪]
    Traitor Pappies, may you outlive your offspring.
    Lanjiao Loong, Cheebye Chui. Whip your corpse!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10,301
    My Reputation Points: 2307 / Power: 8

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    There are still alot of issues with this driverless cars. That is why it's not being launched in the USA yet. In Singkieland due to lax regulations can still launch here. Anyway heard that with regards to the screw ups in driverless cars..the industry is keeping it quiet to prevent back lash.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    9,557
    My Reputation Points: 249 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    When pap says u don get yr cpf at 55 in 1992 no sinkies bother to protest ir start a revolution

    Now sinkies still dont know what to do with driverless taxis.

    Bolumpar sinkies never wake up.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    73
    My Reputation Points: 21 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    This one has to go through a few couple more years, meanwhile, it is a known fact that Uber or Grab, which uses App and charging lower fees, are taking over the helm liao.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,665
    My Reputation Points: 4315 / Power: 11

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Taxi drivers today are already blaming Uber and Grabcar drivers providing substandard service, breaking traffic laws etc... It will be really hilarious when they start bitching about robots and algorithms

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,504
    My Reputation Points: 271 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    The acticle is a red herring. Its has already happened. Thanks to Grab and Uber.





    Quote Originally Posted by VonClaudia View Post
    SANTA CLARA, USA — Singapore could be the first country in the world to get a widespread transport service made up entirely of self-driving cars.

    That’s the view of Glen De Vos, the chief technology officer of Delphi Corporation, a major automotive supplier that is working to launch just such a robot taxi business here.

    Delphi already has one self-driving car on the road here, and will introduce two more this month to gather more data as it prepares to operate an on-demand taxi service minus taxi drivers.

    The company has been working with the Land Transport Authority since August last year on an autonomous taxi trial. The project is designed to figure out what is needed on the infrastructure side — in terms of the road network, data centres and so on — to make robot cabs viable here.

    If all goes to plan, by 2020 you should be able to summon a driverless car with your smartphone to take you wherever you want.

    More at https://sg.yahoo.com/news/taxi-drive...223246289.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    North eastern part of Singapore
    Posts
    4,632
    My Reputation Points: 4273 / Power: 10

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    No more political conversation with taxi uncle
    They whine and rant too much , payback is such a bitch
    One less outlet for Singaporeans to bitch about the gahmen
    Taxi drivers going the way of the dinosaurs ...



    spotter๕๔๒


    Karma is a bitch



    One day your life will flash before your eyes , make sure it's worth watching

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,418
    My Reputation Points: 513 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    If that's the case, say bye bye to owning your own car as well.

    Singapore govt will mandate that everyone use public transport ie self driving cars, buses, trains. No more car ownership.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,504
    My Reputation Points: 271 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,504
    My Reputation Points: 271 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    8,954
    My Reputation Points: 640 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    This is due to technological progress. I wouldn't blame the gahmen for this. It is inevitable. AI will slowly replace human labour in almost every area. Wait till robots start becoming more human, even prostitutes will be replaced. Just wait and see.

    Cheers!

    Quote Originally Posted by po2wq View Post
    gahmen trying hard 2 ramp up jobless sinkies ...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    8,954
    My Reputation Points: 640 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    This will only happen if the public supports and go along with the polices laid down by the policy-makers.. Personal car ownership will soon become a thing of the past. In North America, the working class is seeing the light for leasing a car rather than owning one. Why pay exorbitant prices for something that depreciates and rusts? It is time Singaporeans starts seeing this, and decide whether it is worth the money for something that depreciates totally in ten years!

    Cheers!

    Quote Originally Posted by nayr69sg View Post
    If that's the case, say bye bye to owning your own car as well.

    Singapore govt will mandate that everyone use public transport ie self driving cars, buses, trains. No more car ownership.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,418
    My Reputation Points: 513 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by Agoraphobic View Post
    This will only happen if the public supports and go along with the polices laid down by the policy-makers.. Personal car ownership will soon become a thing of the past. In North America, the working class is seeing the light for leasing a car rather than owning one. Why pay exorbitant prices for something that depreciates and rusts? It is time Singaporeans starts seeing this, and decide whether it is worth the money for something that depreciates totally in ten years!

    Cheers!
    Over a period of time it costs more to lease a car than own one if you do not factor in costs for repairs etc. The people who like to lease cars are the ones who cannot afford to own the car they like but want to drive that car (above their means) and also those lazy and do not plan to maintain the car.

    It is kind of the same with renters and home owners although that one is different because owning a home actually has chance for asset appreciation. But it is the same characteristics in the type of people.

    Agoraphopbic, are you still in Singapore?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    8,954
    My Reputation Points: 640 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Leasing makes more sense if one does not want the burden of upkeep, and also the opportuity for a new model every three years or so. Woth the rate of new models appearing so often, why should one get stcuk with something obsolete and out of trend after a few months of ownership? The mpth;uy rate are much the same as installments towards owneership. Now, if one were to facotr in the depreciation of the car (higher for somem high - end models), then it make more sense to lease a car. And some models may be difficault to dispose of after a while. Obviously the intangible value of the car is quite difficult to count (sentiumental, purists value) but this again is personal (eg. some people value a DeLorean as priceless, but to others, it is a piece of junk., just like a DeTomas Pantera) Owning a home is different. The value of the land it sits on is likely to hold its own, even in recession or inflationary times).

    Am now in Toronto for short break.

    Cheers!

    Quote Originally Posted by nayr69sg View Post
    Over a period of time it costs more to lease a car than own one if you do not factor in costs for repairs etc. The people who like to lease cars are the ones who cannot afford to own the car they like but want to drive that car (above their means) and also those lazy and do not plan to maintain the car.

    It is kind of the same with renters and home owners although that one is different because owning a home actually has chance for asset appreciation. But it is the same characteristics in the type of people.

    Agoraphopbic, are you still in Singapore?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,418
    My Reputation Points: 513 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by Agoraphobic View Post
    Am now in Toronto for short break.

    Cheers!
    I thought the economy in Toronto should be improving? Still can't get a job in Canada?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,418
    My Reputation Points: 513 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by Agoraphobic View Post
    Leasing makes more sense if one does not want the burden of upkeep, and also the opportuity for a new model every three years or so. Woth the rate of new models appearing so often, why should one get stcuk with something obsolete and out of trend after a few months of ownership? The mpth;uy rate are much the same as installments towards owneership. Now, if one were to facotr in the depreciation of the car (higher for somem high - end models), then it make more sense to lease a car. And some models may be difficault to dispose of after a while. Obviously the intangible value of the car is quite difficult to count (sentiumental, purists value) but this again is personal (eg. some people value a DeLorean as priceless, but to others, it is a piece of junk., just like a DeTomas Pantera) Owning a home is different. The value of the land it sits on is likely to hold its own, even in recession or inflationary times).

    Am now in Toronto for short break.

    Cheers!
    Leasing is for those who want to drive a NEW car that they cannot afford and plan to change to NEW models every 1-3 years.

    The comparison between owning vs leasing is usually made between getting a loan for a NEW car vs leasing a NEW car. However if you buy a 2nd hand car that has already had the bigger hit of depreciation, the numbers may convince you otherwise. Of course if the desire is to always be driving a NEW car aged 1-2 years old then of course leasing makes sense. However bear in mind that those monthly leasing fees with the higher interest rates will be forever.

    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...sics/index.htm

    Understanding leasing
    To decide whether or not to lease your new car, it’s important to understand how the financial mechanics of leasing compare with a loan. In some ways, leasing is just like taking out a loan. When you lease, you borrow the entire value of the car (minus any trade-in or down payment). For example, when you drive away in a $36,000 leased vehicle, you’re immediately tying up the entire $36,000 that the finance company gave the dealership, the same as if you had bought the car with a loan. And just as with a loan, you’ll be charged monthly interest on that amount, minus what*ever you pay back along the way.

    And it’s the amount you pay back that’s the biggest difference between a lease and a loan.

    With a loan, your payments are based on the entire cost of the vehicle. For a 36-month loan on that $36,000 car, for example, the principal por*tion of the payment averages $1,000 a month. But with a lease, you pay back only the vehicle’s decline in value—the depreciation—while you’re using it.

    Since that $36,000 vehicle might depreciate about $18,000 over that same 36 months, the principal portion of the monthly lease payment would be based on $500, about half as much as for the loan. Of course, at the end of the lease, you have to return the car (unless you come up with the remaining $18,000 of the residual value to buy it).

    Note that in both cases, the net principal you pay back is $18,000.

    Add finance charges
    In addition to the principal portion of the payment, there are also finance charges, the interest rate to borrow money. These are much higher for a lease because you’re paying back the cost of a leased car more slowly, $500 a month compared to $1,000 with a loan. That leaves a greater unpaid balance that’s subject to that finance charge month after month.

    Put another way, in exchange for those lower monthly payments that come with a lease, you pay significantly higher finance charges compared to an equivalent loan, about $1,435 more for that $36,000 car. That additional cost would be partly offset by the sales tax break lessees get in most states. Also, lessees can invest the extra amount that otherwise would go toward a monthly loan payment.

    Taken together, those benefits might offset the higher lease finance charges. But even then, lessees often have to contend with various fees and other extra costs, including lease initiation and disposal fees, which can add hundreds more to the total cost.

    All these additional costs are multiplied if you keep leasing whenever your old lease runs out, although some may be waived through lease-loyalty programs

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    26,859
    My Reputation Points: 4375 / Power: 12

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    new fisker model, the emotion. will compete with tesla s model soon. but this one is better with range at 400 miles per charge and can charge up very quickly to full capacity in 6.9 minutes. will have self-driving or autopilot firmware when rolled out. not for taxi drivers.

    IMG_0161.JPG
    6.9 k's of sinkies: kopi, kaya toast, kueh kueh, kio kway, ktv, kpkb.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-07-2015, 11:55 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2015, 11:53 AM
  3. Western Bangkok could still be flooded in New Year
    By Muthukali in forum International News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-11-2011, 04:37 AM
  4. How Your Identity Could be Exposed in TemasekReview!
    By TNP(Tua Neh Pau) in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-10-2010, 06:10 AM
  5. Prata (teloh) could be convicted in London
    By SeeFartLoong in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 11:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •