Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,420
    My Reputation Points: 513 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by eatshitndie View Post
    new fisker model, the emotion. will compete with tesla s model soon. but this one is better with range at 400 miles per charge and can charge up very quickly to full capacity in 6.9 minutes. will have self-driving or autopilot firmware when rolled out. not for taxi drivers.

    Attachment 30696

    err did you mean to say range at 690 miles per charge and can charge up very quickly to full capacity in 6.9 minutes. Top speed of 690 km/h?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    26,878
    My Reputation Points: 4375 / Power: 12

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by nayr69sg View Post
    err did you mean to say range at 690 miles per charge and can charge up very quickly to full capacity in 6.9 minutes. Top speed of 690 km/h?
    yup. unpublished range is 696 miles per charge. 6.9 minutes to charge to full capacity is published spec. can't reach that top speed, but cruising at 69 mph with autopilot on while doing 69 in the backseat is a given.
    6.9 k's of sinkies: kopi, kaya toast, kueh kueh, kio kway, ktv, kpkb.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,420
    My Reputation Points: 513 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by eatshitndie View Post
    yup. unpublished range is 696 miles per charge. 6.9 minutes to charge to full capacity is published spec. can't reach that top speed, but cruising at 69 mph with autopilot on while doing 69 in the backseat is a given.
    Price tag SGD$690,000?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    26,878
    My Reputation Points: 4375 / Power: 12

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by nayr69sg View Post
    Price tag SGD$690,000?
    i hope usd69k. will be usd699k in sg.
    6.9 k's of sinkies: kopi, kaya toast, kueh kueh, kio kway, ktv, kpkb.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,510
    My Reputation Points: 271 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by shiokalingam View Post

    Comfort Taxi Group has been very quiet past few months why ?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    26,878
    My Reputation Points: 4375 / Power: 12

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by shiokalingam View Post
    Comfort Taxi Group has been very quiet past few months why ?
    not just comfort. taxi medallion owners in nyc have seen their medallion values plummet from usd1.3m per medallion to usd696k, almost by 50%.

    report from january....

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...angering-loans

    today's report......

    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/uber-...042353935.html
    Last edited by eatshitndie; 16-07-2017 at 02:44 AM.
    6.9 k's of sinkies: kopi, kaya toast, kueh kueh, kio kway, ktv, kpkb.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,510
    My Reputation Points: 271 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by shiokalingam View Post

    Transcab Taxi Group has been very quiet pass few months. Why ?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,510
    My Reputation Points: 271 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by banglat View Post
    aiyo...what's going to happen to our krafty?

    Likely driving for Uber. Rental NEW car per day only s$45. Vs comfort taxi s$135 p.d.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,510
    My Reputation Points: 271 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Good posts. NTA's Ang Kin Hin still sleeping ? Hope he is woke up to this latest yahoo news and call up his kakis at Comfort for another round of sunday coffee talk cock session.


    Quote Originally Posted by eatshitndie View Post
    not just comfort. taxi medallion owners in nyc have seen their medallion values plummet from usd1.3m per medallion to usd696k, almost by 50%.

    report from january....

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...angering-loans

    today's report......

    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/uber-...042353935.html

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10,332
    My Reputation Points: 2307 / Power: 8

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Ah sai...that means the taxi medallion is nothing but a false economy...1 Million for a licence just to be able to drive a taxi? This scam has been kept up for decades because only taxi can carry fee paying passengers and one cant use a private vehicle to do the job,,,,now with UBER and LYFT this business model cant survive just shows its an unsustainable BIZ,,,at least I see the benefits of UBER and LYFT,,,passengers are no longer held hostage to this unscrupulous monopoly. Look at singkieland,,,I know the taxi fares are lower compared to other international cities,,but the taxi industry had shit attitude,,,look at the Cinderella syndrome or trying to get a taxi when it rains,,,or trying to get a taxi during peak hours etc,,,there were soo many times I had to take public tpt when one could not even flag down a taxi,,,but now thanks to UBER and Grab I have better options that before,,,I for one is glad to see the implosion of the Taxi industry,,,even the Taxi industry in ozland is shit and now they face their just desserts. The price for taking a taxi in perth is about 3 bucks a km...with uber its about 20% cheaper,,,and no cash changes hands,,,,and a lot of the drivers are dark skins,,mainly Indians and Africans and mozzies,,,they treat customers like shit and in the past a lot of scams from them,,like when a passenger is drunk and pays by credit card,,they will input a higher fare etc,,,and hope the customer don't notice,,and also rape cases etc,,,now no one sheds a tear for them,,,and they have no public support in getting compensation.

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-1...m-uber/8511438


    Perth taxi drivers in despair over Uber cling to last hope of compensation

    By Andrew O'Connor
    Updated 11 May 2017, 2:30pmThu 11 May 2017, 2:30pm
    Photo: Taxi owner and driver Deb Papamichael says she could lose her house within weeks. (ABC News: Andrew O'Connor)
    Related Story: 'Fair go' for WA taxi plate owners could prompt levy on Uber fares
    Related Story: Taxi industry told to 'get off backside' to fight Uber
    Related Story: Government bullish on taxi reforms despite ongoing industry concerns

    Map: Perth 6000

    Crushed by the feeling she has been betrayed by the Government and abandoned by the public, 57-year-old Perth taxi owner and driver Deb Papamichael fears she is just weeks away from losing her home.
    The rise of Uber has left her struggling to make $100 a night and unable to meet the repayments on the $320,000 loan she took out in 2011 to buy her taxi plate.
    "Last night I left here at 3:30pm. I got home at midnight. I did four jobs and I did $97," said the grandmother — who shares her home with her daughter, son-in-law and grandson.
    "I can't survive on it. I just can't.
    "The bank want to foreclose on the loan which will put us all homeless. They'll take the house."
    Photo: Taxi drivers say the previous government failed them by not enforcing taxi laws. (ABC News: Andrew O'Connor)
    Ms Papamichael is one of hundreds of WA taxi plate owners desperately awaiting the outcome of the McGowan Government's taxi industry review.
    The industry wants compensation in the form of a buyback scheme where taxi plate owners would be paid up to $295,000.
    Labor MP Tony Buti is conducting the review, but so far there is no sign of when it will be completed or what it will deliver.
    Ms Papamichael fears the decision will come too late for her.
    "Unless the Government comes up with some kind of compensation plan, I'm stuffed," she said.
    "I need that now. I don't need it by the time they decide in two years time because by then I'll be sleeping on a park bench."
    Superannuation plans in tatters

    Pat Hart has been driving cabs for 40 years and is also facing hard financial times.
    She said she had planned to retire this year at 69 and sell her cab to fund her retirement, but with the value of the plate diving, the rise of Uber had all-but destroyed her superannuation.
    Photo: Pat Hart says the plunging value of her taxi plate has destroyed her retirement plans. (ABC News: Andrew O'Connor)
    "Before the Uber came in, the plates were around the $300,000 mark. They're currently, the official price from the department is $85,000," she said.
    Like Ms Papamichael, she has seen her income dive as customers disappear into Uber vehicles.
    "It plummeted. Sometimes even now I only just cover costs. I'm not drawing a wage from my business, I'm just covering costs," she said.
    She too is hoping a government buyback scheme may help her salvage her investment in the taxi plate.
    'I feel betrayed'

    Both drivers blame the Barnett government for failing to halt Uber by properly enforcing the state laws that controlled the taxi industry.
    "They made the laws. I bought that plate with laws in place. And they've said, 'oh well, don't worry about it now'," Ms Papamichael said.
    Photo: Pat Hart says the WA Government failed to enforce taxi laws. (ABC News: Andrew O'Connor)
    Ms Hart agrees and believes the industry has been destroyed.
    "It's not a disruption, it's a destruction. Destruction of the taxi industry," Ms Hart said.
    "Just from a personal level, I feel really betrayed. They ask you to give your heart and soul and everything to the industry and then you just get cast aside."
    Labor MP Tony Buti has spent 26 hours meeting with industry representatives over the past two months as McGowan Government's coordinator on taxi reform.
    Transport Minister Rita Saffioti said she expected the process would be finalised within several months.
    "Dr Buti and I are currently working as quickly as possible to see the fairest outcome for taxi plate owners, drivers and the public," she said.
    Topics: road-transport, government-and-politics, science-and-technology, perth-6000, wa
    First posted 11 May 2017, 7:17amThu 11 May 2017, 7:17am



    Quote Originally Posted by eatshitndie View Post
    not just comfort. taxi medallion owners in nyc have seen their medallion values plummet from usd1.3m per medallion to usd696k, almost by 50%.

    report from january....

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...angering-loans

    today's report......

    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/uber-...042353935.html

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,420
    My Reputation Points: 513 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    In 7 years uber drivers will also be obselete when self driving Ride for hire cars will be on the roads.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,510
    My Reputation Points: 271 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by nayr69sg View Post
    In 7 years uber drivers will also be obselete when self driving Ride for hire cars will be on the roads.


    7 years still a long way to go... some of them may not be around - maybe driving for Uber



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10,332
    My Reputation Points: 2307 / Power: 8

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Looks like this Taxi association is nothing but a gahmen jobs for the boys scheme,,,what have these association done for the taxi drivers and the consumers? Taxis in the past held the monopoly and the taxi companies were screwing the passengers and the drivers...look at all the surcharges imposed by the taxi companies and how the taxi drivers treat its customers like Cinderella syndrome and the disappearing act during rainy days...and also with UBER and Grab,,,the problem of fare runaways has been resolved as no money change hands,...look at how the taxi drivers complains about the
    passengers not paying the fare,,with UBER and GRAB this issue has been eliminated,,,what has this taxi association done to address this issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiokalingam View Post
    7 years still a long way to go... some of them may not be around - maybe driving for Uber



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    26,878
    My Reputation Points: 4375 / Power: 12

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hypocrite View Post
    Ah sai...that means the taxi medallion is nothing but a false economy...1 Million for a licence just to be able to drive a taxi? This scam has been kept up for decades because only taxi can carry fee paying passengers and one cant use a private vehicle to do the job,,,,now with UBER and LYFT this business model cant survive just shows its an unsustainable BIZ,,,at least I see the benefits of UBER and LYFT,,,passengers are no longer held hostage to this unscrupulous monopoly. Look at singkieland,,,I know the taxi fares are lower compared to other international cities,,but the taxi industry had shit attitude,,,look at the Cinderella syndrome or trying to get a taxi when it rains,,,or trying to get a taxi during peak hours etc,,,there were soo many times I had to take public tpt when one could not even flag down a taxi,,,but now thanks to UBER and Grab I have better options that before,,,I for one is glad to see the implosion of the Taxi industry,,,even the Taxi industry in ozland is shit and now they face their just desserts. The price for taking a taxi in perth is about 3 bucks a km...with uber its about 20% cheaper,,,and no cash changes hands,,,,and a lot of the drivers are dark skins,,mainly Indians and Africans and mozzies,,,they treat customers like shit and in the past a lot of scams from them,,like when a passenger is drunk and pays by credit card,,they will input a higher fare etc,,,and hope the customer don't notice,,and also rape cases etc,,,now no one sheds a tear for them,,,and they have no public support in getting compensation.
    machiam like monopoly fake currency. in nyc, it's a ticket for a lowly immigrant with little to no skill to get to middle class. like a house, those who bought in early paid a lower price. but with more immigrants demand went up and thus the price. and like a house of cards, its value is dependent on the market, albeit a flawed and hollow one. with taxi monopoly dashed, the value will logically plummet. but stupid taxi owners are in denial and underestimate the pending collapse. but unions and cities are fighting back. for passengers who rely on gov-funded welfare money to pay for transportation to visit hospital and clinics, sf is advocating that they must take cabs that are licensed by the city. there's a burgeoning (fraudulent) industry going on with private "ambulances" just to transport welfare recipients on wheelchairs to and fro hospitals and clinics. if taxis jump into this segment for non-wheelchair-bound passengers, they can make a killing too. it's billions of dinero in disability checks for the taking from the federal gov, state, county, and city. u.s. as a 4-tier cuntry are truly fucked up in this aspect. trillions in deficit and hundreds of billions go to welfare and disability fraud.
    6.9 k's of sinkies: kopi, kaya toast, kueh kueh, kio kway, ktv, kpkb.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    24,269
    My Reputation Points: 689 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    The moment Temasek invested in Grab, suddenly these 5 politicians went quiet as a church mouse. Why so many bigs whips for a taxi association?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hypocrite View Post
    Looks like this Taxi association is nothing but a gahmen jobs for the boys scheme,,,what have these association done for the taxi drivers and the consumers? Taxis in the past held the monopoly and the taxi companies were screwing the passengers and the drivers...look at all the surcharges imposed by the taxi companies and how the taxi drivers treat its customers like Cinderella syndrome and the disappearing act during rainy days...and also with UBER and Grab,,,the problem of fare runaways has been resolved as no money change hands,...look at how the taxi drivers complains about the
    passengers not paying the fare,,with UBER and GRAB this issue has been eliminated,,,what has this taxi association done to address this issue?

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10,332
    My Reputation Points: 2307 / Power: 8

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Quote Originally Posted by nayr69sg View Post
    If that's the case, say bye bye to owning your own car as well.

    Singapore govt will mandate that everyone use public transport ie self driving cars, buses, trains. No more car ownership.
    Than they just killed their biggest cash cow which is Coe

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15,417
    My Reputation Points: 996 / Power: 6

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Looks like comfort taxi drivers have already reached obsolescence.lots of empty comfort cabs nowadays and I see alot of old buggers still clinging on for dear life probably tech illiterate while younger drivers have migrated to uber.i heard other taxi operators like smrt has also closed shop and given up.the era of the taxi monopoly is over.
    Just another Chinaman in a world of

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10,332
    My Reputation Points: 2307 / Power: 8

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Actually the taxi medallion thingy is not an issue in singkieland,,,because the pappies got rid of the private owned taxis because they wanted the monopoly for themselves,,,,now at least the taxi drivers can go drive for someone else as they don't own the taxis,,,its the likes of comfort etc that are now suffering as their business has dropped,,,I love to see the pappies shoot themselves in the foot


    Quote Originally Posted by eatshitndie View Post
    machiam like monopoly fake currency. in nyc, it's a ticket for a lowly immigrant with little to no skill to get to middle class. like a house, those who bought in early paid a lower price. but with more immigrants demand went up and thus the price. and like a house of cards, its value is dependent on the market, albeit a flawed and hollow one. with taxi monopoly dashed, the value will logically plummet. but stupid taxi owners are in denial and underestimate the pending collapse. but unions and cities are fighting back. for passengers who rely on gov-funded welfare money to pay for transportation to visit hospital and clinics, sf is advocating that they must take cabs that are licensed by the city. there's a burgeoning (fraudulent) industry going on with private "ambulances" just to transport welfare recipients on wheelchairs to and fro hospitals and clinics. if taxis jump into this segment for non-wheelchair-bound passengers, they can make a killing too. it's billions of dinero in disability checks for the taking from the federal gov, state, county, and city. u.s. as a 4-tier cuntry are truly fucked up in this aspect. trillions in deficit and hundreds of billions go to welfare and disability fraud.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    29,087
    My Reputation Points: 4256 / Power: 10

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Much as I like to see taxi companies mati...it'll never happen. They are hit bad and likely the industry been changed forever but they'll be wiped out.
    There'll always be a niche for taxis.....being able to hail one on the road is its major advantage.
    And taxi companies can easily fight the competition. Just lower rental and other levies that currently disadvantage their cabbies. taxis will become the land line telephones while uber grab are the mobile phones.

    Hailing a driverless cab in 2020? I think until 2030 also won't become reality in sg

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10,332
    My Reputation Points: 2307 / Power: 8

    Default Re: Taxi drivers here could be obsolete in three years

    Acutally in singkieland taxi can survive as their fares are low compared to international standards,,,its the taxi companies that gouge on the drivers and the customers,,,,like for example the midnight surcharge should be done away with,,,have a taxi app,,but Grab does that,,and in addition can pick up customers from taxi stands etc,,,it does help,,but the taxi council is still sleeping, as they have made no recommendations to improve taxi service etc,,,also to qualify as a Uber or grab driver,,,,the requirements must be the same as taxi drivers,,that is singaporeans only above a certain age with X amount of years experience,,that way Uber will have less drivers as the PRs cannot be Uber now,,that way the whole industry lift their game,

    Quote Originally Posted by Narong Wongwan View Post
    Much as I like to see taxi companies mati...it'll never happen. They are hit bad and likely the industry been changed forever but they'll be wiped out.
    There'll always be a niche for taxis.....being able to hail one on the road is its major advantage.
    And taxi companies can easily fight the competition. Just lower rental and other levies that currently disadvantage their cabbies. taxis will become the land line telephones while uber grab are the mobile phones.

    Hailing a driverless cab in 2020? I think until 2030 also won't become reality in sg

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-07-2015, 11:55 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2015, 11:53 AM
  3. Western Bangkok could still be flooded in New Year
    By Muthukali in forum International News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-11-2011, 04:37 AM
  4. How Your Identity Could be Exposed in TemasekReview!
    By TNP(Tua Neh Pau) in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-10-2010, 06:10 AM
  5. Prata (teloh) could be convicted in London
    By SeeFartLoong in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 11:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •