• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat HIV positive and an idiot

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why donate blood in the first place? Why the urge to donate blood? Why the urge to share this story? He is doing no one any favours.

The impression is one error led to this. I doubt it.

http://mothership.sg/2017/06/young-...d-himself-in-jail-for-donating-tainted-blood/
Young & HIV-positive: S’porean in his 20s found himself in jail for donating tainted blood
June 12, 2017
HIV is a real problem even in Singapore, and is not discussed as much as it needs to be.

Goh Wei Hao

The names of the characters in this story have been changed to protect their identities.

Shawn Tan was charged with lying about having sex with another man when he donated his blood on Dec. 19, 2012.

His blood was found to be infected with HIV, and he was eventually slapped with a S$10,000 fine and a six-week prison sentence.

It was entirely by chance that I came to discover that the young man I read about in the papers two years ago — whose identity is concealed by a gag order — happened to be someone I know: a good friend of mine, at that, whom I had known since our teenage years.

It was a Wednesday night, we were at the playground at the foot of his block, and I asked him why he had shaved his head. It was here, for what was possibly the first time, that my friend ventured to share his story.

In a thorny relationship

Tan was, as you might have guessed, in a relationship at the time. He had just turned 21, and things were stormy between him and his boyfriend.

For months, he said, arguments between them would end in cold wars, and Tan would then “punish” his other half by surfing proximity dating apps like Grindr and Jack’d.

“It’s really stupid, but I was angry because I didn’t think I was important to him anymore because when I asked him to rank what’s important to him, I would always end up fourth or fifth.”

Here’s where it’s important to note that Tan does regret what he did — he sighs with each mention of his ex and speaks quietly at this point, admitting to me that at least in part, he flirted with other guys and went partying because he felt he was still young and so was entitled to have fun.
He admits to drinking more than he usually did, finishing 10 glasses of house pour in a row — by which time both of them were a very long way from sober, and left for another club with a younger crowd.

Unfortunately, Tan’s friend left him at that point to join another group of friends, and he didn’t object because he was so drunk he “would’ve said yes to anything”.

But because everyone was dancing with their own friends and nobody bothered mixing around, he said he got bored, and by about 3am, decided to call it a night.

One tongue-lashing from his boyfriend over the phone later, Tan found himself collapsed on the curb of a road, crying.

Enter Chad and John

That was when he was approached by two strangers — Tan calls them Chad and his date, John.

Chad, he said, asked him to get into a cab with them, promising to send him home, “or at least I think he did because I was really too f**king wasted”.

In the taxi, Tan says he passed out.

They woke him up when they arrived at Chad’s place — a condo in the East, where he stays in an apartment on the ground floor, right next to the swimming pool.

“It’s late; and you’re drunk. Just stay over,” Tan recalls Chad telling him when he told Chad he wanted to head home because he had to attend his university’s orientation the next day. High on alcohol and a little on lust (“I will not deny it: both of them were pretty good looking.”), he admits he did not put up a convincing protest.

They brought him into a room, and Tan lay down on the bed as they smoked and made out by the window.

When they saw him watching, they asked if he wanted to try some of what they were smoking.

“Of course, I was old enough to know that it’s not just cigarettes,” Tan admitted candidly. “But I was too curious and drunk to say no.”

He found out later that it was ecstasy.

When the drugs kicked in, Tan confessed that he slipped from “choosing not to think” to “not being able to think”: thoughts of his boyfriend, his family and the orientation program he had to attend were lost to him. All he wanted to do was to ride the high and just have fun.

And so, he says, he did not refuse them when they asked if he wanted to try ice, as well as something else they called G (“I still have no idea what this is,” he admits at the same time).

And then, he says quietly, he performed oral sex on them. This time, though, he spoke not out of shame but with a silent acknowledgement of his own actions. Certainly, he said, he doesn’t blame anyone for what happened anymore.

A cut in his lips

The next day, Tan was woken up by a sharp pain from his lips. He said he realised they were swollen and bleeding only when he looked into the mirror.

Chad assured him there was nothing to be worried about, though, he said — it was just a side effect of the drugs he took, and it would go away quickly.

Tan thought nothing more of it, and one text lying to his boyfriend that he got home safe later, the three of them got physical again. This time, again, Tan says he only performed oral sex on them, so he thought he was safe.

He also thought he had taken down Chad’s number on his phone, but it wasn’t there when he tried to find it again. Nonetheless, he reconciled with his boyfriend and thought nothing of the two encounters he had.

Tan says his parents found out about him being infected with HIV before he did, when they received a call from the Health Sciences Authority. Tan himself could not be reached, he added, as he was away on a school trip.

Worse, he only heard the news from them when they received him from the airport on his return.

“She told me in the car. There was shouting, and a lot, a lot of crying,” he struggled to say, but he was grateful for his mother’s assurance that she would love him “no matter what”.

But everything else in his life, he says, unravelled from there.

Just a few days after he landed back in Singapore, Tan said he was taken in for police questioning, where he had no choice but to confess that he did not declare that he had sex with another man before donating blood.

He also recalls he had to return to school the very next day, and so had no time to process everything that was happening: the ongoing investigation, university and guilt from his mother — and the lifelong incurable virus now inhabiting his bloodstream.

“It was too much for me. I didn’t eat, I couldn’t sleep, I was always tired, and I just kept crying and crying. I even thought of killing myself when my boyfriend broke up with me.”

Luckily, because of his siblings and his mother, Tan says he couldn’t bear to do it.

“They became my only motivation to do anything — going to school, going to court, and going to prison.”

Prison did not turn out to be as bad as he thought, thankfully.

“Everyone inside was really nice to me,” he said. “And I had a lot of time to read, and to reflect.”

But I could tell from the pained look on his face that he was not comfortable with going further than that.

HIV: a manageable disease, but still incurable

The case took about a year to conclude, but for Tan, the repercussions of that fateful night will haunt him for the rest of his life — seeing a photo of his ex, passing a blood donation centre, or whenever he has to take his nightly medication to suppress the symptoms of the virus.

But he says these days he has learned to better cope with these “demons”, and count his blessings.

Tan says he is thankful that he belongs in a time where HIV is a very manageable disease, and not a killer epidemic.

Apart from having to remember to take a pill before he sleeps, he does not experience any physical repercussions, and his day-to-day routine is not disrupted.

“But I still get depressed some times. I still want to find a time machine so I can go back and undo whatever I did.”

Opening up to me for a platform like this was certainly not easy for him, especially because he had done so twice before and got burned: the first, a close friend who liked him, couldn’t accept what he did; the second, a date that did not end well, went around telling others that he has HIV.

Tan admits that till today, he is still not able to forgive himself for his mistakes, but says he is sharing his story in the hopes of bringing to the fore discussion about a very real problem that isn’t sufficiently talked about publicly.

Crucially, for instance, be careful whom you interact with, and if you enjoy partying and drinking, be sure to always hang out with people you know, trust and can rely on. Having intercourse is a choice you are free to make, but be conscious that the spread of sexually-transmitted diseases like HIV is entirely possible.

People living with HIV today live lives very much like anyone else’s, but are shunned as soon as it becomes known that they have it. HIV is spread through the blood and semen, and not through casual social contact, food, toilet seats or even insect bites.

It’s also important to note that HIV infection is not limited to homosexual activity, but can also be passed between men and women, and even from infected mothers to their babies.

Recent statistics published in the media also show that the number of new diagnosed cases of HIV fell in 2016, as this graphic from The Straits Times shows, as well. But there are likely more unreported cases of infections, as even the Ministry of Health hesitates to state or predict a downward trend.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
His blood is obviously discriminated even if he's not HIV+ .

Why even fucking bother with donating or any fucking donations to begin with?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
U must understand that these damn ah quas are liberals. Liberals like to use their heart to replace their brains when making decisions.

If u ask them, whether it is ok to fuck a dog, they will tell u that it is ok as long as the dog is a stray and does not belong to anyone.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
U must understand that these damn ah quas are liberals. Liberals like to use their heart to replace their brains when making decisions.

If u ask them, whether it is ok to fuck a dog, they will tell u that it is ok as long as the dog is a stray and does not belong to anyone.

Liberals had it coming.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The guy and the author of the article are not at all concerned that the donated blood might infect a totally innocent person. No mention of this at all. Shows their concern is somewhere else. More like getting caught and serving prison and impact on parents. They should cane these arseholes.

The author near the end manages to mention that HIV affects heterosexuals as well. Clearly shifting the blame.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
We all know that the incidence of HIV cases are more prevalent among gays.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/msm/index.html

Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with mena made up an estimated 2% of the population but 55% of people living with HIV in the United States in 2013. If current diagnosis rates continue, 1 in 6 gay and bisexual men will be diagnosed with HIV in their lifetime :kma:, including 1 in 2 black/African Americanb gay and bisexual men, 1 in 4 Hispanic/Latinoc gay and bisexual men, and 1 in 11 white gay and bisexual men. But these rates are not inevitable. We have more tools to prevent HIV than ever before.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fake news from msm to hit the pinky dot comments why dont they come out news like really how much left in cpf vault

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thats rubbish. Liberals won't fuck a dog against its will.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
The guy and the author of the article are not at all concerned that the donated blood might infect a totally innocent person. No mention of this at all. Shows their concern is somewhere else. More like getting caught and serving prison and impact on parents. They should cane these arseholes.

The author near the end manages to mention that HIV affects heterosexuals as well. Clearly shifting the blame.

Surely the hospital has some due diligence to test the blood before marking up the profits paid for by their patients?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Yes, very bad reporting. I would put the blame squarely on the reporter. Clearly wanted the article to be all about the lifestyle/HIV genre but missed the elephant in the room. The part about heterosexuals is done for political correctness. Snowflake!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The hospital did, that how they are caught. This is not the first time. This has been going on for 20 odd years, people donating and making false declaration.

Surely the hospital has some due diligence to test the blood before marking up the profits paid for by their patients?

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
The hospital did, that how they are caught. This is not the first time. This has been going on for 20 odd years, people donating and making false declaration.

These people are just stupid and a waste of people's time and resources.

Sucked a cock or got ass fucked then DON'T DONATE.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To sum up the story in 8 words: Free hiv test lands cheapskate gay in jail
I think some of these people are worried that they may have contracted aids. However, they do not have the guts to go for aids test as it is in a way admitting to the doc that they are involved in in such activities. So they choose the easy way out by donating blood to get their blood tested without realizing that it is extremely irresponsible.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think some of these people are worried that they may have contracted aids. However, they do not have the guts to go for aids test as it is in a way admitting to the doc that they are involved in in such activities. So they choose the easy way out by donating blood to get their blood tested without realizing that it is extremely irresponsible.

How is that the easy way out when they will prosecuted once caught?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The team that handles Blood donations should get them to sign a notice that they can be prosecuted and jailed. I do recall the first case was in 1990 and this has been going on. And this is a Uni undergrad at that time. Its a worry.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The team that handles Blood donations should get them to sign a notice that they can be prosecuted and jailed. I do recall the first case was in 1990 and this has been going on. And this is a Uni undergrad at that time. Its a worry.

There was a case where a group of NSFs were told to donate blood during some donation drive involving the unit and threatened with reduction of book-in/out privileges for a week if they refused to comply.