• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat PMET with accountancy degree lost his 12th-year job in the marine sector

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal

ask him to go drive a taxi. accountants, bankers, property agents, those in marine and property sector are in for a hard landing.you are just seeing the beginning of a huge crash. when driverless cars , virtual experience and smart technology in form of robots and drones technology become a reality ,overnight you would find hundred of thousands of people jobless. those above are literally dead wood.
you can't compete against a computer or technology that does not rest, almost error free , works for a few cents of electricity and most importantly does not take sick leave or bullshit the employer or client.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Gilbert

I'm a 38-year-old female. I've been asked to resign from my position last June.

I used to be a office admin manager. I read from your website of the many jobless people's experiences and can't help feeling even more depressed.

At least those people attended interviews but we're not successful.

For me, can you believe that for these 10 months, I've only attended 1 interview.

Every day I mail out my CV to so many recruiters and companies, but I do not get s single response at all, not to mention any invitation to interviews.

Formally, when I was retrenched from jobs, I always manage to get a new job within 3 months even if it is at a lower pay or contract position. Now, I'm not even choosy I apply for all the positions that I think I qualify for even if they are contract or lower pay than my last drawn.

Once when a recruiter called me and asked about my expected salary, I even told her $1400-1800. She was shocked and said that I cannot do that as companies will think that there's something wrong with me. My last drawn was $5.5k.

She advised me that I should be asking for $5-5.5k. I didn't tell her that I was so desperate for a job, any job that will feed me as I've already used up all my savings.
Every time I try to tell myself to stay positive but the more positive I stay the more demoralised I become.

Sometimes when I'm lucky I will get calls from recruiters who after interviewing me on the phone say that they will forward my CV to the recruiting company whom they had advertised the position for. But after that, that was the last I heard from them.

I'm at a loss of what to do, I even walked in to shops when they advertised for dishwashers, cashier retail assistant, dental clinic assistant, all of which I'm sure I'm more than qualified for though I do not have such experience.

But as you can guess, after filling in the application form, I'm only told to go home and wait.

I was advised by relatives that I don't have to try for such jobs as these companies know that with my last drawn salary and position, I won't be "serious" about such jobs and thus they won't ever hire me.

This is so unfair. I truly only need a job that will sustain me before I starve to death.

Of course, I don't deny that if an opportunity to do what I used to work as came along I will resign from those (cashier, shop assistant, dishwasher) jobs, but such positions have high turnover rates anyway, right?
I feel suicidal though I have no courage to do it but at this rate, even if I don't commit suicide I will soon die of starvation.

I'm left with only $100 in my bank account, can you imagine?

I feel really helpless and useless, well meaning relatives and friends always ask me if I've found a job and I'm so ashamed of myself.

I think they think I'm lazy for not trying hard enough or simply choosy. They always say things like "admin very say to find wah, it's everywhere".

I know it's everywhere and that's why I'm a loser for not being able to secure one. I'm so ashamed of myself that I even have to lie to some friends that I'm not actively looking for jobs as I'm taking a break.

This will at least give me some dignity in front of them.

Desperate

Editor's note: we are trying to schedule a

iluvgst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Gilbert

I am a 36 year old lady. Singaporean born and bred. I have unfortunately been out of job for close to 18 months.

I have close to 15 years of work experience in the finance industry in Asia and had worked for international organizations. I was shortlisted for interviews with some going all the way to the global heads. But just no offers.

It is frustrating and demoralising and definitely strained my family relationships. Self doubt seeped in till on 28 Jan.

On 28 Jan, MOM released 2015 job statistics – 31,800 new jobs were created but only 100 went to Singaporeans and PRs!

The new jobs created were apparently across PMETs and non-PMETs and across all sectors.

Hence this affects all Singaporeans and not just a specific group.

I now feel less demoralised because I now know that I had been unable to land a reasonable job not because my skills were not up to par but simply because of my nationality.

But I am also feeling lost because the success of my job search hinges on factors way beyond my control (Does the employer wants to hire Singaporeans or someone of his own nationality or someone who is cheaper?). The bad economic situation is not helping things.

I approached most of the government agencies and had been treated (unfortunately) with a disdain attitude. I do not want to go into details because this is not the purpose of my email.

I am attaching the statistics so that you can spread the news and not let others like me lose confidence and morale and dignity.

Hold onto your dignity.

PS: I think most Singaporeans are not bothered because they are gainfully and happily employed.

Regards
AJ

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
My neighbourhood ValueDollar shop is desperately looking for workers. Just walk in and they will give you a job. Dun say no job. Thanks to pap.

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I took circle line last week and near pasir panjang a bunch of indian workers in psa polo t uniforms boarded. A few stops later they got all excited when a few indian ladies in their traditional attires boarded... Maybe from science park or nuh. I'm sure they are all pink ics. Otherwise why recruit india indians when sinkees can do the job right? I trust pap will not sideline sinkees. Onwards singapore!

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Gilbert

I'm a 38-year-old female. I've been asked to resign from my position last June......

Formally, when I was retrenched from jobs, ......

Editor's note: we are trying to schedule a

Well, should be "formerly" and it seems she's habitually retrenched....

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's lovely to see all the hardcore PAP voters losing their jobs one by one and they are too old to become a prostitute.

imagery

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If these people are not too fussy there are many part time jobs available in the food industry. They need part time and full time workers but hardly any Singaporean takers. Almost all are filled up by foreigners.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
If these people are not too fussy there are many part time jobs available in the food industry. They need part time and full time workers but hardly any Singaporean takers. Almost all are filled up by foreigners.

You telling a 12 years experience accountant to go into F&B?
From $10k per month to $10 per hour?

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder what's the point of writing to Gilbert. Is Gilbert employed ?

Gilbert should have a standard questionnaire for sob-story tellers to fill up, with a multiple choice questions like - which party did you vote for during the last GE ? Which party do you intend to vote in the next GE ?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now these pmet losers are fighting with us for entry level jobs,nabei.

Ccb after working 12 years,u got nothing to show for?the day u left machiam the same as the day u joined the company?these sinkies deserve to be cleaning toilets and picking cardboard in their old age.instead of retiring gracefully and rich,u guys are competing with young people for jobs and pushing wages even lower.my dream was to be a janitor making 3.2k,thanks to the ccb pioneer and boomer sinkies,cleaning toilets pay $800 a month.

That's why jobs and careers are for suckers, false sense of security,postponing ur fate by one more day.one day ur old and u realised u exchanged ur pen for a mop.

Last edited: