• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Sungei road flea market iconic value

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) issues statement on the impending closure of Sungei Road Second-hand Market.

The party says that it stands in solidarity with the merchants of Sungei Road and call on the PAP Government to rethink its decision to evict the vendors there.

"The flea market is an iconic spot with a rich history going back many decades. It has become very much a part of Singapore and it will be a tragic loss of our heritage."

http://yoursdp.org/news/let_iconic_sungei_road_thrive/2017-06-10-6173

sungeird.jpg

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The place is just a shadow of its former self....been that way for many years.
Now only selling rubbish for Banglas....some of the items even Banglas dun want.
Back then the place was much bigger and really vibrant. Though they were selling old 2nd hand stuff....it was stuff that people would buy.....You could even find real rolexes and gems too....
Besides the 2nd hand stuff there were Makan stalls and stalls selling other like live fish, white mice and even chicks. It was an open market with many things under the sun like our own chatuchak....You have the medicine men and fortune tellers hawking their wares too. It was really fun place to visit even if you not looking to buy anything. Now the magic of the place already long gone.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes its a shadow of its former self and I do agree with the Pappies stance on getting rid of it,,,all these supporters are more heart than brains and it makes no economic sense for it to continue,,,I wonder if the vendors are earning money at all,,,,

Now only selling rubbish for Banglas....some of the items even Banglas dun want.
Back then the place was much bigger and really vibrant. Though they were selling old 2nd hand stuff....it was stuff that people would buy.....You could even find real rolexes and gems too....
Besides the 2nd hand stuff there were Makan stalls and stalls selling other like live fish, white mice and even chicks. It was an open market with many things under the sun like our own chatuchak....You have the medicine men and fortune tellers hawking their wares too. It was really fun place to visit even if you not looking to buy anything. Now the magic of the place already long gone.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes I remember Sungei Road of the past. It was an interesting place but the PAP has been slowly strangling the place using their SOP tactice. First they acquired the land & kicked out the shop owners in the area & fenced off the land. Now it's the turn of the street vendors. We've seen all this happen before.

Same thing happened to the Car Park also known as Glutton Square, the car park at Orchard Road that was turned into a food court at night. They did the same to China Town, Bugis, Sentosa, .... Turning Spore into a colourless city and people wonder why tourists are staying away from Spore :rolleyes:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why did it fall from grace? Also i heard stories like if you got items or valuables stolen from you you might have a chance of finding it in that market.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a flea market found all over the World and presumably not in North Korea. I am sure if someone of influence gets involved, they can find a small area somewhere in Singapore. These guys do no harm and people do find value in some of the items offered. There is no need for a permanent side. If MND can take it upon themselves to find an unused spot every few years, Singapore would be a better place.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I remember Sungei Road of the past. It was an interesting place but the PAP has been slowly strangling the place using their SOP tactice. First they acquired the land & kicked out the shop owners in the area & fenced off the land. Now it's the turn of the street vendors. We've seen all this happen before.

Same thing happened to the Car Park also known as Glutton Square, the car park at Orchard Road that was turned into a food court at night. They did the same to China Town, Bugis, Sentosa, .... Turning Spore into a colourless city and people wonder why tourists are staying away from Spore :rolleyes:

To the fucking greedy PAP, every inch must make money.
Hope they bury their offspring in the land they acquire.
LHL will die last and alone.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They did try to bring it back didn't they? but in usual Pappy sanitized version only to con the tourists and dumbfucks too young to remember the original.
Now RC fuckers Organise those night bazaars but can't beat the Pasar Malams of yesteryears.....for me the smell of the kerosene lamps is missing

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what a load of junk.they look like mentally ill hoarders than real merchants.mentally ill garang gunis that hasnt sold their junk since 1987.

this must be where all the ah mas and ah peks come to find their clothes.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

maybe internetz killed the garang guni market....now people just sell their 2nd hand stuff online on gumtree,craigslist or carousell.better than accepting cutthroat prices.

i tried shopping around 2nd hand goods store like cash converters and salvation army to look for things to resell and make a profit,i realise singaporeans dont really have the culture of having junk yard sales or selling their old stuff.