• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat No comeback from SPF to counter response from EX-GIC Economist

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Round 1

SPF blistering statement with no intention to engage, clarify etc - typical PAP approach of throttling constructive comments and feedback.

Singapore Police Force
June 6 at 2:07pm ·
Mr Yeoh Lam Keong in his Facebook posting of 5 Jun 2017 asserted that there is “inadequate community policing in Singapore”, and that “alienation from the police” was a “big reason” for the cause and “poor handling” of the Little India riot in 2013.
Mr Yeoh’s sweeping statement is not only inaccurate, it shows a clear lack of understanding of what happened during the Little India riot and an ignorance of our community policing efforts.
Firstly, the Committee of Inquiry (COI) had found the primary cause of the riot to be a fatal road traffic accident, and that a confluence of other factors, such as consumption of alcohol and a desire for “street justice” by the rioters, had escalated the violence. Alcohol, in particular, was found by the COI to be a “major contributory factor” in the riot, contrary to what Mr Yeoh had deemed as a “convenient scapegoat”.
Secondly, despite our lean force structure, community-based policing has always been a key strategy in our efforts to keep Singapore safe and secure.

The Police have been regularly reviewing our policing model to meet changes in the community’s safety and security needs. We launched the current Community Policing System (COPS) in May 2012 to bring Police officers closer to the community and strengthen Police presence on the ground. The daily engagement and house visits by our officers in the neighbourhood have resulted in strong networks with community stakeholders to fight crime. Since Apr 2015, COPS has been adopted by all Neighbourhood Police Centres and become an integral part of our policing strategy.

In September 2016, amidst increasing security threats, the Government also launched the SGSecure movement as a community response to counter terrorism. Our frontline officers engage the community to spread the SGSecure message, encourage them to report suspicious activity, and train and equip residents with life-saving skills. Home Team officers and our partners have visited more than 110,000 households in this regard. The SGSecure app, where reports of suspicious activity can be reported to the Police, is also installed in around 550,000 mobile devices. SGSecure has also been extended to schools and workplaces.
Singapore is one of the safest cities in the world. There is a high level of trust and confidence amongst Singaporeans in our Police force. In a 2016 public perception survey, 92% of respondents rated general safety and security in Singapore as “good” or “very good”, and 90% are confident the Police are well-prepared to tackle any “major law and order incident”. These statistics reflect the hard work we have put into engaging the community and keeping Singapore safe and secure.

It is regrettable that Mr Yeoh did not check his facts before commenting on areas he has little knowledge of. His distorted points on the Little India Riot and Community Policing will mislead others who don't know the facts. It will be helpful if people like Mr Yeoh actually come forward and volunteer in community policing. He will then get a better understanding of what the Police does.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Round 2

He responds cool as a cucumber and SPF remains silent. Now you know why no politician, our comment-minute-a-minister Shanmugam who is well known for shooting his mouth off when he comes to MHA will not comment when they see his name. Yeoh Lam Keong is loaded to the gills, comes from a well-known family on both sides of the Causeway and now HK, grilled by the ISD for a week and has the smarts to screw these guys at will. So it will be Facebook for now.

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/20...tely-resourced-to-keep-up-its-excellent-work/

Former GIC Chief Economist: Just worried that SPF may be inadequately resourced to keep up its excellent work 0
BY ONLINECITIZEN ON JUNE 7, 2017 OPINION
Below is a response written by former GIC economist Yeoh Lam Keong on Facebook to the statement issued by the Singapore Police Force on Tuesday against his earlier comment that the lack of community policing had resulted in the Little India Riot in 2013.

I'd like to thank the Singapore Police Force (SPF) for the detailed reply to my comments on what I perceived to be one of the major causes of the little India riots in 2013 - inadequate community policing in the community in question.

This view was based on my personal macro observation that police numbers on the ground have not kept up with our population growth- particularly in the foreign worker community -due to its huge expansion over the late 1990s and 2000s.

I have also observed that policing in little India was often outsourced to auxiliary private police that may not have the same good training in community relations that our regular police receive.

I have shared these views in a seminar to senior home team members a few years ago and we have had a robust and helpful discussion on it.

This trend worries me because of the sheer numbers of unskilled foreign workers and the potential threat they pose to public safety and law and order if not adequately policed in terms of quantity and quality of police presence and good relationships with the communities there.

I'm glad that the SPF has clarified that community policing is still a cornerstone of police methods and training, and welcome the SPF's elaboration on the COPS system and the SGSecure movement. These sound like great initiatives!

I have always found our home team members very professional, helpful and well trained and have a very high regard and appreciation for them, as I am sure do most of the public.

I appreciate this clarification and reassurance by the SPF as this is what public debate should be all about - and I am sure that the public will also appreciate the SPF's explanation of its policies in greater detail.

I have no doubt that Singapore is one of the safest cities in the world and that the SPF is still doing very good work given its admittedly lean structure.

I just worry as a concerned citizen and economist that it may be inadequately resourced to keep up this excellent work in the future, especially in our large and rapidly growing population and foreign worker communities.

I am not alone in having such views. The police commissioner himself spoke far more eloquently and frankly than me in this at the end of the COI on the Little India riots in 2014

Read: More officers needed to better patrol hot spots: Police chief

I hope the SPF does not read my comments as having any more intention than just giving my personal views on how to keep Singapore as safe as possible for all citizens

Another good point in our exchange i realise is that a certain level of civility is needed on both sides for constructive public discussion and debate. This will contribute much to community and police mutual partnership and cooperation which I would always be happy to participate in. In this spirit, I apologize if i had sounded unnecessarily strident and hope we continue to regard each other as partners in helping to improve our society together.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
SPF learns from their PAP masters. They try to deny, distract, divert, distort what Yeoh said. When that failed, they will try to confuse. The SPF is now perhaps seeking guidance on how to rebut and counter Yeoh.

rambo22

Alfrescian
Loyal
ah Sham boasted that Sg Mata is World Class according

to a survey conducted

mata with guns taking cover inside ambulances also

can becum World Class

power lah Sham

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reality is the Commission of Inquiry made up of Tee Tua Bah, Gp Selvam and 2 running dogs, one from NTUC and one a CCC Chairman started well and after a week of intense grilling by Tee and Selvam, the committee completely changed tune after Govt intervention and then it went into a show trial. Both Tee and Selvam are well regarded. First for changing the SPF, CNB and Prisons for the better. Selvam famously awarded then PM GCT a paltry sum for his defamation suit.

So what came out? In the main - alcohol and the lack of vegetables at workers quarters so they have come to little India for their weekly shopping needs. Recommendations - control alcohol sale and consumption and allows more vendors to set up vegetable stalls at workers quarters.

Here are the 8 recommendations. 6 are motherhood statements, note 7 and 8.

SBF panel could have come up with more substantive findings with more sincerity. I am sure a couple of housewives at their weekly coffeeshop catch-up would have provided more value by just looking at the news and coming up with something after discussing amongst themselves.

This was a full scale riots in 40 years and the Police lost control and ran from their positions and some hid in an ambulance. The command and control completely collapsed, the emergency response failed miserably despite there being an emergency response for riots capability that began life during the British Colonial days. They arrived too late and and extensive damages to vehicles and equipment were sustained.

1. To improve SPF’s communications, command and control capabilities, to help officers dealing with public order incidents build a better picture of the ground situation, especially in rapidly changing scenarios.
2. To appropriately train and equip frontline officers from the Land Divisions and NPCs to effectively defuse and contain large-scale public order incidents.
3. To increase SPF’s manpower resources, including the SOC, so that they can better manage mass congregation areas such as Little India, and be ready to deal with large-scale public order incidents. However, quality rather than quantity should be the major consideration in augmenting the force.
4. That SPF and SCDF continue to build on their ability to respond in a concerted and co-ordinated manner to public order situations, such as that seen on 8 December 2013.
5. That SPF look into generally cutting layers of approval or time needed to activate essential resources to respond to public order incidents and other emergencies.
6. To install additional lighting, safety and surveillance devices in areas which see large congregations of foreign workers, in addition to making better basic facilities available to those who congregate there.
7. To make more services and amenities available to foreign workers outside of congregation areas, and to work with local community stakeholders on measures to reduce congestion at congregation areas.
8. To more strictly enforce against public drunkenness and set in place alcohol restrictions in hotspots where large crowds typically indulge in heavy drinking, and therefore where a triggering incident could spark a breakdown of public order.

Last edited:

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
ah Sham boasted that Sg Mata is World Class according

to a survey conducted

mata with guns taking cover inside ambulances also

can becum World Class

power lah Sham

That's pap's twisted answer to good questions why SPF officers were hiding in an ambulance when foreign workers were throwing stones and overturning SG cars.

Often pap's answers are ridiculous

rambo22

Alfrescian
Loyal
the only area that SPF improved tremendously is COLLECTING

MORE KERETA SUMMONS

everywhere u go u can see their LTA enforcement officers

nabay even at 1am

super hard working

this 1 is really WORLD CLASS

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
the indian snake will order for more cardboard mata to be placed at every staircase landings, lifts and road junction, if needed every toilet cubicle as well

resource will be available

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
the only area that SPF improved tremendously is COLLECTING

MORE KERETA SUMMONS

everywhere u go u can see their LTA enforcement officers

nabay even at 1am

super hard working

this 1 is really WORLD CLASS

not hardworking.

cheap labour from Malaysia but reap in much summon money for pap

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Imo, wasted time and money on COI. The key reason for the riot was coz key officers at scene had no balls. They were armed. Armed for fuck? Might as well carry water-gun.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Little India Riots and its aftermath has some distinct features;

1. It was spontaneous and there no pre-meditation, no organisation by those involved in the riots.

2. The Police were not specifically targeted.

3. Not a single rioter was armed.

4. 11 days after the appointment of the Commission of Inquiry , the Prime Minister and his wife visits the very people who are front of centre of the Inquiry and the cause of the riots being poorly handled and thanks them, takes a Group photo with 40 SPF and SCDF staff involved in the incidents. The visit on 24 Dec 2014 was a clear signal to COI that the PM does not consider SPF and SCDF liable.

https://www.hometeam.sg/m/article.aspx?news_sid=20131224SElaU7tacJ9c

On 24 December 2013, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong (right in blue) visited Rochor Neighbourhood Police Centre. Over breakfast, he chatted with some 40 SPF and SCDF officers to hear their first-hand accounts during their response to the 8 December 2013 Little India riot. PHOTO: Matthew Wong
"At that point, there were many people around, and we didn't think much of it as it tends to be crowded around Little India on weekends," shared the 25-year-old Rota Commander from Central Fire Station.
While the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) officers were doing the extrication, Lt Neo recalled seeing people suddenly rushing towards them and projectiles flying about, and that was when she realised that they were in a midst of a burgeoning riot.

"My immediate thought was first to complete our duty to extricate the victim and shield the bus driver out of the scene... The moment that was done, we had to get out of the scene for the safety of my men.

"We didn't have time to even be frightened at that moment... When I got into the ambulance, I realised 'wow, this is a once in a lifetime experience’," said Lt Neo who joined SCDF in 2012.

On 24 December 2013, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong met some 40 officers from the Singapore Police Force (SPF) and Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) who were the first responders to the 08 December 2013 Little India riot.

"I came to meet the Home Team officers who were involved in the riot that night and the follow up, to express my appreciation for what they are doing,” said PM Lee who heard from the officers over breakfast at Rochor Neighbourhood Police Centre (NPC).

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree 100%. Complete failure in leadership, from top to bottom. It had nothing to do with equipment, SOPs, doctrine, protocol etc. A phenomenal failure. To avoid drop in morale in the organisation, the leadership should have been removed. Eric Tan, Head of CPIB was removed after the fraud case involving one of his staff. Both Pang and Him had offered their resignation and it shows how these 2 treat moral responsibility. Look at CP and DCP, both hopeless.

Imo, wasted time and money on COI. The key reason for the riot was coz key officers at scene had no balls. They were armed. Armed for fuck? Might as well carry water-gun.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at the stalking case involving 2 Eurasians that led to murder after numerous police reports lodged by the family and the stalking victim. Shanmugam threatened the social media and the press. No single beep from this arsehole. Clearly the Police failed multiple times. Not a single response from the allegations made by the family. The father pleaded for help on Facebook as well.

the indian snake will order for more cardboard mata to be placed at every staircase landings, lifts and road junction, if needed every toilet cubicle as well

resource will be available

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

The SPF lacks courage to maintain law and order. Ng JH, Shanmugum and TCH shd take the brunt of SPF's pathetic show.

Leaders must be example. Having auxiliary officers masquerading as Police Officers is not good. Trying to be cheapo comes with consequences

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is not the US, South Africa etc where criminals are armed to the teeth. The SPF has overwhelming advantage. Its like taking candy from a kid.

Both British and Singapore found that amongst foreigners, South Indians are hard working and least likely to cause trouble and thats the reason why were recruited in numbers to work in rubber plantations and constructions sites. All our colonial buildings including City Hall and Istana were built by South Indian labour.

By the 80s, Thais and South Korean constructions workers were phased out due to unrest, unruly conduct and unable to follow instructions. Gurkhas were activated for the first time due to unrest at between South Koreans and Thais.

There is also another reason why Old Man kept the Gurkhas - very unlikely that SAF and SPF has the mental strength to bring down a mutiny in a unit or during racial riots. Of course to protect him and his family.

The SPF lacks courage to maintain law and order. Ng JH, Shanmugum and TCH shd take the brunt of SPF's pathetic show.

Leaders must be example. Having auxiliary officers masquerading as Police Officers is not good. Trying to be cheapo comes with consequences

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is not the US, South Africa etc where criminals are armed to the teeth. The SPF has overwhelming advantage. Its like taking candy from a kid.

Both British and Singapore found that amongst foreigners, South Indians are hard working and least likely to cause trouble and thats the reason why were recruited in numbers to work in rubber plantations and constructions sites. All our colonial buildings including City Hall and Istana were built by South Indian labour.

By the 80s, Thais and South Korean constructions workers were phased out due to unrest, unruly conduct and unable to follow instructions. Gurkhas were activated for the first time due to unrest at between South Koreans and Thais.

There is also another reason why Old Man kept the Gurkhas - very unlikely that SAF and SPF has the mental strength to bring down a mutiny in a unit or during racial riots. Of course to protect him and his family.

The pap's lack of courage to discipline the Officers on the ground, NJH, Shan and TCH sent a wrong message which will backfire in future

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal

The bigger joke is that all of these auxillary officers are non Singaporeans too....

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Always the same results-the man in the street suffer the consequence while the million dollar politicians continue with their "no blame" policy.
Unless there is a change of govt-things will get worse.