• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat New Australian long stay visa for Sporeans

apogee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've never visited Australia but have always been curious about the place because many friends & relatives have emigrated there. Heard that from next year Sporeans can apply for a long stay visa which will allow them to stay for 3 months at a time. The visa is good for 6 years.

So next year I intend to do some exploring of that place & see how I like it.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...r-singaporean-travellers-to-australia-8906320

Why would any one visit a god forsaken country.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's still the same what....only 3 month stay max...after wards need to exit and reenter the country.

I think the advantage is that you don't need to re-apply for a visa each time you want to visit Australia within 6 years. Since a Spore passport expires every 5 years, you only need to apply for an Australian visa once for repeated visits

I know people who currently do go to Austrlia for 3 months at a time but they have to qualify for it e.g. have to show that they have money and a reason to stay for 3 months.

The PAP has been very selfish. They let citizens of other countries stay & work in Spore but have not sought similar privileges for Sporeans. I suspect that this is an Australian initiative & the PAP had very little to do with it?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He means Aussies visit ing sg.

It's very easy for Australians to get a work permit in Spore. This is the impression I got from my previous company, an MNC, there were many Aussies working there.

The only Australian that faced problems was an ex-Sporean. His parents emigrated to Australia when he was very young. He met a Sporean girl at an Aust Uni & married her. The reason he wanted to stay in Spore was to please his wife who was a Sporean who wanted to stay in Spore. In the end he had to do NS or leave Spore.

I was surprised that they made an Aussie do NS. :eek:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the advantage is that you don't need to re-apply for a visa each time you want to visit Australia within 6 years. Since a Spore passport expires every 5 years, you only need to apply for an Australian visa once for repeated visits

I know people who currently do go to Austrlia for 3 months at a time but they have to qualify for it e.g. have to show that they have money and a reason to stay for 3 months.

The PAP has been very selfish. They let citizens of other countries stay & work in Spore but have not sought similar privileges for Sporeans. I suspect that this is an Australian initiative & the PAP had very little to do with it?

Applying visa is easy,only cost $20 and 30 mins,the problem is if I wish to stay longer than 3 months because Australia is fucking nice,I have buy a plane ticket and leave the country and enter again,or try to extend the visa at the immigration which trust me is a even bigger pain in the ass because they suspect u are trying to work.

also the current visa last for a year,u can enter and leave australia as many times as within one year,but u are restricted to a maximum stay duration of 3 months per entry.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I not sure if the press got this wrong. There used to be 1 year visitor visa class 676 or something that was popular for touring the country. I am told this has been replaced by this new Visa 600 which restricts them to 3 months each time but valid for 6 years.

Who in his right mind wants to apply for this 6 year visa if they are just touring. Anyone can enter Australia and stay there for 3 months and return again multiple times via the usual eVisa. Parents can apply for 5 year visa and stay with their kids who moved there. There is also another 5 year renewable retiree visa for those who bought houses there.

If you have planned to say drive, bike, backpack or cycle thru australia for year as part of an extended holiday or break from work or a retiree you can always apply for special visa outlining your plans. You will be called for an interview and the one year visa granted.

I looked at their website and it appears that the advantage with the new visa is that you can work or study for the each 3 months duration but the work is limited. I think the press does not know how to explain this new visa.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I not sure if the press got this wrong. There used to be 1 year visitor visa class 676 or something that was popular for touring the country. I am told this has been replaced by this new Visa 600 which restricts them to 3 months each time but valid for 6 years.

Who in his right mind wants to apply for this 6 year visa if they are just touring. Anyone can enter Australia and stay there for 3 months and return again multiple times via the usual eVisa. Parents can apply for 5 year visa and stay with their kids who moved there. There is also another 5 year renewable retiree visa for those who bought houses there.

If you have planned to say drive, bike, backpack or cycle thru australia for year as part of an extended holiday or break from work or a retiree you can always apply for special visa outlining your plans. You will be called for an interview and the one year visa granted.

I looked at their website and it appears that the advantage with the new visa is that you can work or study for the each 3 months duration but the work is limited. I think the press does not know how to explain this new visa.

It took them a year to announce this? I am curious what was the quid pro quo for the Aussies as this is not some gesture of goodwill from the Aussies but forms part of the negotiation package that was concluded last year - "people to people links" (Singapore-Australia Comprehensive Strategic Partnership Package):

https://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/media_centre/press_room/pr/2016/201605/press_20160506.html

May 06, 2016
MFA Press Statement: Singapore-Australia Comprehensive Strategic Partnership Package, 6 May 2016
Singapore and Australia have concluded a landmark agreement to deepen economic integration; to expand defence cooperation; to jointly promote innovation and entrepreneurship; and to strengthen people-to-people ties by facilitating tourism, cultural exchanges and educational opportunities. This agreement builds on the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership (CSP) adopted in June 2015 by the Prime Ministers of Singapore and Australia. (A copy of the Joint Announcement made by both countries is at Annex.)
Earlier in the week, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull re-affirmed the strength of our bilateral relations based on strategic convergence and economic complementarities. They were pleased that the CSP and the successful negotiations for this agreement set out a long-term vision and roadmap for a major upgrade across all aspects of bilateral relations.
A key outcome is the decision of both countries to update and modernise the Singapore-Australia Free Trade Agreement (SAFTA). Signed in 2003, the SAFTA was one of the earliest bilateral free trade agreements for both countries. Today, Singapore ranks as Australia’s fifth largest trading and investment partner. As part of the Third Review of the SAFTA, both countries will adopt a package of measures to increase trade and investment flows. These measures will reinforce Singapore’s position as a trading and investment partner for Australia. It will also enhance Singapore’s position as a hub for Australian businesses and service providers to access expanding opportunities in Asia.
The Prime Ministers of Singapore and Australia have also agreed to promote innovation and entrepreneurship. Both countries have strong domestic policies to support innovation, research and development, and the creative industries. There is great alignment in our policies and synergy to be gained from closer cooperation. We have agreed to bring together our research and scientific bodies, in particular the National Research Foundation, the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) and Australia’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), and support their collaboration through matching funding provided by both countries (about S$50 million over five years), the details of which will be worked out by the respective agencies.
We welcome Australia’s decision to establish a “landing pad” in Singapore to facilitate high tech Australian start-ups. Greater cooperation with Australia will reinforce Singapore’s role as an international hub for innovation and the creative industries. It will also increase opportunities for our local companies and enhance complementary value creation.
A significant outcome is the decision to further expand our long-standing defence cooperation with Australia. We will build on our existing partnership by elevating Exercise Trident to a signature joint bilateral military exercise. Both countries have also agreed to jointly develop more military training areas and facilities in Australia. This will provide Singapore with greater access to military training areas in Australia over a period of 25 years.
Singapore and Australia will enhance military personnel exchanges and initiate civilian personnel exchanges. We will also enhance intelligence and information sharing, such as in counter-terrorism, and launch a Track 1.5 Dialogue in late-2016 to discuss regional and security issues. These initiatives will further strengthen institutional links and enhance greater understanding between our two countries.
The strong people-to-people links between our two countries will be given a further boost, as Singaporeans will soon enjoy improved terms of entry into Australia through the implementation of multi-year visa arrangements. In addition, we have agreed to strengthen youth exchanges with the adoption of a 12-month arrangement that will allow Singaporean and Australian youth to travel to and do short-term work in each other’s countries. New exchanges between teachers of Australian and Singaporean schools will also come into effect.
Singapore and Australia have agreed to strengthen cultural cooperation by building on the Memorandum of Understanding on Arts and Culture that both countries signed in June 2015. We have established an Australia-Singapore Arts Group to increase collaboration between our artists, arts groups and cultural institutions. This will increase opportunities for arts and performing groups in Singapore to showcase their works in Australia and work with their Australian counterparts. MFA and MCCY will jointly establish a fund of up to S$5 million over a period of five years to support Singapore artists, arts groups and performers to profile their works in Australia.
This landmark agreement adopted by Singapore and Australia is a major upgrade of the existing strong ties between the governments and people of both countries. Businesses will have greater opportunities as we integrate our complementary economies in anticipation of the fourth industrial revolution. It will transform our long-standing friendship into a dynamic, innovative and truly strategic partnership.
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said:
“I am delighted that we have concluded this landmark agreement with Australia. It is a win-win deal that will cement relations and benefit Australians and Singaporeans for years to come. The Comprehensive Strategic Partnership (CSP) is an ambitious package covering many aspects of our relationship. We will move quickly to implement the various measures, although some will take time to bear fruit.

Our two countries are politically like-minded, strategically-aligned and economically complementary. We have much to gain by working closely together. The CSP will draw our two countries closer, economically, politically and at the people-to-people level.
Our economies will become more integrated and intertwined. Defence cooperation will be stepped up. The Singapore Armed Forces will be able to do more military training in Australia.
We have also agreed to work together in new promising areas, like innovation, research and development, entrepreneurship, youth exchanges and the arts and culture. I am happy that Australia will establish one of its five “Landing Pads” in Singapore. This creates new possibilities for our creative talent to work together, and harness our energy and capital for mutual benefit.”
. . . . .
MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
SINGAPORE
6 MAY 2016

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Another point is ah tiongs can get 10 year visas...and Aust now actually give long visas for those 1st work
LD countries...but for 3rd world countries it's hard to get in but for Spore it's easy..alot of visa free entries...for citizens of 3rd world countries

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They also built a new Australian international school at tanjong katong, the square footage is huge too and in such a prime area,they even tore down a food center and a domitary and some buildings to make room for it.the Aussie government must have pulled alot of strings to make this possible.recently,a small plot of land nearby containing a small flower nursery was sold to ho bee land for 167 million,this school compound has to be at least 20 times bigger.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imagine within 2 years you can become a citizen and buy landed property. No other country in the World except for wayward island like Nauru, St Kitts etc who openly sell their passport open their doors.

Ask the MHA to release the number of new citizens who have acquired Singapore citizens who have left the country for 1st world countries shortly after. The Singapore passport holders are readily admitted to most countries without visa.

Another point is ah tiongs can get 10 year visas...and Aust now actually give long visas for those 1st work
LD countries...but for 3rd world countries it's hard to get in but for Spore it's easy..alot of visa free entries...for citizens of 3rd world countries