• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat SPD Ends Deliberate Policy To Delay Promotion Of Non-Graduates To Senior Officers!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ST_20170526_TMRANK26D6KS_3166207.jpg

As a senior investigation officer, Station Inspector Mohammad Rosman Hassan trains new investigation officers at Ang Mo Kio Police Division.

For the past year, among his other roles, the 48-year-old has trained at least 15 rookies, many of whom held higher ranks than him, and others who went on to become his superiors.

But now, thanks to the unified rank structure adopted by the Singapore Police Force last July, the seasoned cop will finally get to cross over from the junior officer scheme into the ranks of senior officers.

"It was a challenge seeing officers who came in with degrees climb the ranks faster, but it just motivated me to work harder and put in extra effort to stand out," said Station Insp Rosman, who joined the force in 1991 and started as a constable with partial A-level certification.

Next month, he will become an inspector - the first rung of higher- ranking senior officers.

With the unified rank structure, junior and senior officer schemes will be removed and existing junior officers such as Station Insp Rosman can benefit from faster career progression.

All incoming officers will start on common ground, on the same career track, instead of having non- graduates starting as lower-ranking junior officers and graduates as senior officers.

"To be honest, becoming a senior officer seemed so far away, part of me had given up on it. I've been hoping for close to 20 years to become an inspector," said Station Insp Rosman, who is one of 150 officers who will be promoted to inspector this year. He is among the first batch to benefit under the new scheme.

Station Inspector Jakki Lim, 42, officer in charge of the field support squad at Jurong Police Division's Investigation Branch, will also be promoted to inspector. She had thought the highest rank she would be able to achieve was Senior Station Inspector II - the ceiling for those in the junior scheme.

MOTIVATED TO STAND OUT

It was a challenge seeing officers who came in with degrees climb the ranks faster, but it just motivated me to work harder and put in extra effort to stand out.

STATION INSPECTOR MOHAMMAD ROSMAN HASSAN, who joined the police force in 1991 and started as a constable with partial A-level certification. The 48-year-old trains new investigation officers at Ang Mo Kio Police Division.
"Now this scheme gives committed officers more opportunities to progress and be recognised for their hard work, instead of qualifications," said Station Insp Lim, who joined the force in 1996 with an engineering diploma.

From July, the new scheme will also be implemented in other Home Team departments, such as the Singapore Civil Defence Force and Singapore Prison Service.

About 8,000 non-degree holders will get the opportunity for faster career progression. Previously, there were various routes for junior officers to enter the senior officer scheme, but it required them to go through months of tedious interviews. It could take up to 18 years for a polytechnic diploma holder to become an inspector - the entry rank of a degree holder.

Officers who will be promoted under the new scheme this year told The Straits Times that it gave them assurance and hope.

Senior Station Inspector Oh Kok Soon, 39, column leader with the Special Operations Command's Police Tactical Unit, joined the force in 2000 with Higher Nitec certification.

He said: "I'm now a living example of how hard work and performance can take you places, not just paper qualifications."

Senior Station Inspector Haslina Hassan, deputy officer in charge of operations at Bedok Police Division, said the scheme will spur seasoned officers to stay and share their experience with younger ones.

"It feels good to know you're being recognised not just by your bosses, but the management too. The barrier between junior and senior officers is gone, giving everyone equal opportunity to be promoted based on merits and strengths," said the 41-year- old.

"It reminds us never to give up and to face challenges with a positive attitude. You work hard not because of a rank, but because of your passion. Who knows, one day you might even become commissioner," she said with a laugh.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/he-will-finally-be-an-inspector-thanks-to-scheme

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: SPD Ends Deliberate Policy To Delay Promotion Of Non-Graduates To Senior Officers

There is nothing altruistic about this. The grads not keen to join, and the attrition rate is very high. By the way, any constable can be become a senior officer decades ago. All they needed was to prove that they can do the work. Some have gone on to become Supts. Not sure what they are going to achieve promoting a 48 year old as an Inspector. Now he has to go down the pecking order and start from scratch. They probably think the guy was hopeless that he was not promoted all these years.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: SPD Ends Deliberate Policy To Delay Promotion Of Non-Graduates To Senior Officers

Many grads leave the SPF after 10-12 years. They need the junior officers promoted to Insp and above to cover the shortage.

To be fair, quite a number of these JOs to SOs perform better than the grads. Especially in Investigation and Intelligence. Grads will always be more prolific when it comes to staff work.

Great to see deserving ones promoted to SO but there will always be the tong Pang cases who goes up because they powder the right balls.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

gd - i bet you could've been kira kira / at least a dsp /supt and moved on to an acp, if not for your hfj hobby :wink:

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

There is nothing altruistic about this. The grads not keen to join, and the attrition rate is very high. By the way, any constable can be become a senior officer decades ago. All they needed was to prove that they can do the work. Some have gone on to become Supts. Not sure what they are going to achieve promoting a 48 year old as an Inspector. Now he has to go down the pecking order and start from scratch. They probably think the guy was hopeless that he was not promoted all these years.

""It was a challenge seeing officers who came in with degrees climb the ranks faster, but it just motivated me to work harder and put in extra effort to stand out," said Station Insp Rosman, who joined the force in 1991 and started as a constable with partial A-level certification.""
Dobbins in Animal Farm

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

If I am not wrong our CP's entire batch of signed grads resigned. And they did so in the early years. Tells you how desperate they are. In the old days it was the mission school boys who went up the ranks, spoke and wrote well

Many grads leave the SPF after 10-12 years. They need the junior officers promoted to Insp and above to cover the shortage.

To be fair, quite a number of these JOs to SOs perform better than the grads. Especially in Investigation and Intelligence. Grads will always be more prolific when it comes to staff work.

Great to see deserving ones promoted to SO but there will always be the tong Pang cases who goes up because they powder the right balls.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Touché .....

""It was a challenge seeing officers who came in with degrees climb the ranks faster, but it just motivated me to work harder and put in extra effort to stand out," said Station Insp Rosman, who joined the force in 1991 and started as a constable with partial A-level certification.""
Dobbins in Animal Farm

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

gd - i bet you could've been kira kira / at least a dsp /supt and moved on to an acp, if not for your hfj hobby :wink:

I left as Insp (2). Happy like fuck never got sacked before retirement.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If I am not wrong our CP's entire batch of signed grads resigned. And they did so in the early years. Tells you how desperate they are. In the old days it was the mission school boys who went up the ranks, spoke and wrote well

Not sure if Hoong is the only one left but am sure he confided in someone he never expected he'll be CP in his wildest dreams!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Govt could have identified talent at 5 and 10year toll gates when they are in the 20s and 30s. By then aptitude, leadership and specific skillsets can be identified. It does not matter if they are grads or not . Start training them to be Sr Officers. Not when they are 48. Promoting Tiger Hong to a Lieutenant was a mistake. The guy was a legend and icon of the SAF in its early years.

Now that the horse has bolted, they promote these guys. Parliament enacted laws and gave powers to certain ranks on the basis that we have qualified people in position to exercise those powers. What will happen is that those who are quiet, hardworking, don't cause trouble will get promoted and not those those who are firm, can stand their ground, can lead and these are the type of people that bring in results and by their very actions will inevitably will land in trouble once in a while.

Ask this 48 year newly promoted to call in an SS head. I can bet you he would have no clue and probably want to go back to his rank. The fact that they hid in the ambulance tells me it is broken.

Recently a girl who was molested went to make a report and some idiot of policewomen persuaded her not to. And she is not charged for dereliction of duty.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

2 scholar CPs were enough for MHA. They went to back to the original template.

Not sure if Hoong is the only one left but am sure he confided in someone he never expected he'll be CP in his wildest dreams!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What will happen is that those who are quiet, hardworking, don't cause trouble will get promoted and not those those who are firm, can stand their ground, can lead and these are the type of people that bring in results and by their very actions will inevitably will land in trouble once in a while.

Ask this 48 year newly promoted to call in an SS head. I can bet you he would have no clue and probably want to go back to his rank. The fact that they hid in the ambulance tells me it is broken.

Recently a girl who was molested went to make a report and some idiot of policewomen persuaded her not to. And she is not charged for dereliction of duty.

You are spot on in your observations. The main problem in the SPF is blind leading blind. As mid or upper management office bearers, these chaps need to have good Intel on their immediate subordinates.

Good Intel and assessment can't be based on what takes place in meetings alone. The eloquent but lazy and incompetent ones will surely score points. For sure they will take centre stage.

In the course of my career, I know many competent ones who will just listen and never take part in discussions even if they are au fait with subject matter being discussed. Their DNA I suppose. But if there is a crisis, entrust them with the assignment. Sure to resolve with minimum cost and casualties.

Many of my friends, never in the SPF, asked me for my views on the LI fiasco and the causal factor why the rioters had the upper hand. Why the officers involved chose to wait for reinforcement and not confront the rioters themselves.

Let's be frank. How many of those matas involved in the LI incident ever took part in a fight during primary, secondary, JC or Poly days? How many assaulted accused persons?

We are effectively talking about a posse of choir boys confronting a bunch of hooligans! Even if they had taken part in fights and assaulted accused persons previously, no guarantee they have that courage to confront the rioters. Much less if they were only choir boys.

I watched the airport incident whereby 2 Matas could not cope with an Ang mo guy. Needed reinforcement from CISCO. 5-6 officers to handle 1 Ang mo?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

2 scholar CPs were enough for MHA. They went to back to the original template.

I am sure both, even when as CP, would have problems settling a family dispute between grandma and grand-Daughter. Much less lead the SPF deal with rioters or terrorists.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

poodles in spf are lucky. try being a cop in the u.s. dealing with violent gangbangers equipped with guns.

IMG_4709.JPG