• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat One-Man Bookstore That Cannot Tell The Diff Between "I" And "We" Ups The Lorry!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
BOOK SALE! INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE ASK READERS FOR HELP WITH DEBTS
Submitted by farhan on Sun, 21/05/2017 - 12:54pm

booktique_1.jpg

After 30th June, Booktique will move out of CityLink Mall and end a chapter of our 4-years' bookselling adventure.

Since the end of 2015, we have been affected by the weakening economy and hit badly by the retail slump. Booktique is mostly a one-man operation with no other partners to share the financial burden. That is why in February 2016, I had to appeal to all of you for help. Every month since, we haven't been able to sustain on our own. My personal saving has been depleted from keeping this bookshop going till our two-years' lease expires. Finally, the time is near for us to reclaim our deposit so that we can plan our future. One thing for sure is we will return to our book fair days and not have a permanent shop anymore.

Unfortunately, the last one month plus has become even more difficult for us. Not only do we have to pay our May and June rent, we still have to settle our long overdue bills from our suppliers before we close. Looking at the persistent poor walks-in sales, we won't be able to repay the insurmountable amount within 45 days.

~ For our May rent, we are unable to pay within the two-weeks' grace period and our landlord has allowed us to pay it on 29th May, Monday. We are still in need of additional $5,000 and we only have 10 days to raise that amount. We have this weekend and the next to bank on but we also cannot afford poor sales on the weekdays.

~ For June, we have consolidated all our final bills which include our rent and long-outstanding invoices from our suppliers and they total up to about $19,000. We don't know how we can make that amount in 45 days but will continue to do our best and give our all. We have events lined up till June and we are still bringing in new books until our last day. PLEASE help us to spread the word to all book and bookshop lovers, and your friends from the arts communities. Schools can help by buying books from us for their libraries. We have the e-invoice account with MOE.

For event details at our shop and other ways to help us, visit our old post at

- More at AllSingaporeStuff.com https://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/book-sale-independent-bookstore-ask-readers-help-debts
FB: http://fb.com/allsgstuff

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did once wandered into the store by chance ...just across the road from Raffles City....

Actually considering to buy some books related to environment and design ...but when approached the person 'on duty' there, she did not seem too friendly and unable to tell if they have any of such books..."all the books are on display....I don't know if we have any new books on environment or design....if they are there, then they should be on display"....

WTF attitude....so decided to walk off pronto from the premises......this kind of customer attitude and services, no wonder cannot survive....

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can u guess why it's a one man operation with no one to share the financial burden.

Why is this guy operating at City Hall link anyway,I'm not surprised it's a flop even though that place is crawling with thousands of office workers and Ang mohs walking thru and from City hall per minute per sqft.
A true book and bookstore lover should be operating from the basement of a old shopping center like katong or the forgotten back alley of a wet market.this "booktique" stinks of snobbishness and haute couture.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can u guess why it's a one man operation with no one to share the financial burden.

Why is this guy operating at City Hall link anyway,I'm not surprised it's a flop even though that place is crawling with thousands of office workers and Ang mohs walking thru and from City hall per minute per sqft.
A true book and bookstore lover should be operating from the basement of a old shopping center like katong or the forgotten back alley of a wet market.this "booktique" stinks of snobbishness and haute couture.

Yes, what kind of books is the shop selling, that people will want to, have to & will but to make a trip there or passes by, pop in; to make the commercial venture by the ONE OWNER, viable?

The ONE OWNER must be loaded with money to burn, setting up shop costs etc..is not cheap, have to buy stocks etc..it was a commercial misadventure...& the ONE OWNER..expect people to help??

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure why he signed a 2 year lease. The model that is now common place in cities is to occupy vacant retail shops between permanent tenants and display surplus books. Then moved to a another vacant store. Landlords don't mind taking minimal rent until they find a proper tenant. There is no overheads as there is not fit-outs needed, just books stacked on foldable tables or raised platforms.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not sure why he signed a 2 year lease. The model that is now common place in cities is to occupy vacant retail shops between permanent tenants and display surplus books. Then moved to a another vacant store. Landlords don't mind taking minimal rent until they find a proper tenant. There is no overheads as there is not fit-outs needed, just books stacked on foldable tables or raised platforms.

This ONE PERSON must have been in the book trade for a long time, or else, how to get vendors to give you credit terms?. Must have deep pockets to spare to sign a two year lease & in such places too!.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
BOOK SALE! INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE ASK READERS FOR HELP WITH DEBTS
Submitted by farhan on Sun, 21/05/2017 - 12:54pm

booktique_1.jpg

After 30th June, Booktique will move out of CityLink Mall and end a chapter of our 4-years' bookselling adventure.

Since the end of 2015, we have been affected by the weakening economy and hit badly by the retail slump. Booktique is mostly a one-man operation with no other partners to share the financial burden. That is why in February 2016, I had to appeal to all of you for help. Every month since, we haven't been able to sustain on our own. My personal saving has been depleted from keeping this bookshop going till our two-years' lease expires. Finally, the time is near for us to reclaim our deposit so that we can plan our future. One thing for sure is we will return to our book fair days and not have a permanent shop anymore.

Unfortunately, the last one month plus has become even more difficult for us. Not only do we have to pay our May and June rent, we still have to settle our long overdue bills from our suppliers before we close. Looking at the persistent poor walks-in sales, we won't be able to repay the insurmountable amount within 45 days.

~ For our May rent, we are unable to pay within the two-weeks' grace period and our landlord has allowed us to pay it on 29th May, Monday. We are still in need of additional $5,000 and we only have 10 days to raise that amount. We have this weekend and the next to bank on but we also cannot afford poor sales on the weekdays.

~ For June, we have consolidated all our final bills which include our rent and long-outstanding invoices from our suppliers and they total up to about $19,000. We don't know how we can make that amount in 45 days but will continue to do our best and give our all. We have events lined up till June and we are still bringing in new books until our last day. PLEASE help us to spread the word to all book and bookshop lovers, and your friends from the arts communities. Schools can help by buying books from us for their libraries. We have the e-invoice account with MOE.

For event details at our shop and other ways to help us, visit our old post at

- More at AllSingaporeStuff.com https://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/book-sale-independent-bookstore-ask-readers-help-debts
FB: http://fb.com/allsgstuff

Nothing wrong with what they said no no no. Sometimes my books would yell at me too when im not spending enough time with them. Just don't talk back, same as in a marriage, and things will work out fine.