• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious SIA Is Making 1.5mil loss on the daily basis

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
I took a risk and bought some at 9.99. I cant really explain why I did this though because normally I am averse to airline shares as they are subject to many types of shocks and downturns. Perhaps I felt that it was oversold.

You bought SIA at 9.99. Today it went to 9.66c. Are you thinking of buying more at $9.66?

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
some people were thinking of buying below $10. it has now reached 9.66

to me SIA fair value is $6 only.
currently, the economy is doing not so badly but SIA is already at 5yrs low.
in other word, when world economy deteriorates, SIA will drop to $6

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess the Muslim-owned airlines are outpacing the once upon a time pacesetters...

Singapore Airlines ponders ‘radical’ measures after posting loss
Carrier’s costs are rising and it is losing market share to Gulf and Chinese rivals

Shares in Singapore Airlines dropped more than 7 per cent on Friday, the biggest one-day decline since the 2008 financial crisis, after it unveiled a surprise quarterly loss.

In the latest sign that intensifying competition is squeezing Asia’s flagship carriers, the group reported a net loss of S$138m (US$99m) for the quarter ending in March.

Passenger yield per kilometre — a key measure of airline profitability — fell 4.7 per cent year-on-year in the last quarter.

The carrier said the intensity of competition, coupled with political and economic uncertainty, would continue to put pressure on yields.

Singapore Airlines is regarded as a pacesetter for the industry, with innovations in its fleet — taking delivery of the first Airbus A380 superjumbo — and advances in service such as the first double beds in the air.

But like Cathay Pacific — which reported a net loss of HK$575m (US$74m) for 2016 — Singapore Airlines has been squeezed by the rise of budget carriers and the rapid expansion of Gulf and Chinese rivals.

The airlines based in Singapore and Hong Kong have lost out as other aviation hubs have emerged to connect Asia with the rest of the world.

Emirates and Qatar have both added capacity on routes between Singapore and Europe, and Singapore Airlines has seen its market shares on these routes slip steadily in recent years, according to aviation consultancy CAPA.

The group announced a sweeping review of its network, fleet, products and service.

At a post-results briefing on Friday, Singapore Airlines chief executive Goh Choon Phong said: “We will leave no stone unturned. Some changes may be radical, but if needed, we will do it.”

“Singapore Airlines has been at the forefront of innovation but it has lost its edge,” said Shukor Yusof, of Endau Analytics, a Malaysian aviation consultancy.

Singapore Airline’s costs, once among the lowest of any premium airline, have risen rapidly in recent years as Singapore’s currency has strengthened while the city state’s labour costs have mounted, Mr Yusof said.

“This is not a one-off,” the analyst said. “There will be more declines. I would expect them to retrench staff.”

Singapore Airlines needs to rationalise unprofitable routes, or cut capacity or frequency to improve profits, UOB Kay Hian analysts K Ajith and Sophie Leong said in a note on Friday.

For the full year, Singapore Airlines’ group net profit sank 55.2 per cent to S$360m. The quarterly loss was the first since 2009.

As well as weaker operating performance, the decline in net profit for the year was attributable to a S$132m provision for an EU fine for their part in an air cargo price-fixing cartel.

Shares in the group were down over 7 per cent to S$9.99 on Friday afternoon in Singapore, the biggest one-day drop since November 2008.

Cathay Pacific’s chief executive Ivan Chu stepped down at the start of this month after the group reported its first annual loss in eight years.

The Hong Kong airline has announced a major revamp which will include job cuts.

Chinese airlines, which do not face the high costs of being based in Hong Kong, have added more flights directly linking mainland China and Europe, buffeting Cathay Pacific.

https://www.ft.com/content/569f62be-3c73-11e7-821a-6027b8a20f23

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singapore Airlines ponders ‘radical’ measures after posting loss

How about this? The bikini airlines in Vietnam is actually profitable. If SIA gets its stewardesses to wear peranakan bikinis, I would fly by SQ everytime I go overseas.

[video=youtube;hZstD6CGVHs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZstD6CGVHs[/video]

MTM3NTAxODQxNzI1MzM0OTU3.jpg

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How about this? The bikini airlines in Vietnam is actually profitable. If SIA gets its stewardesses to wear peranakan bikinis, I would fly by SQ everytime I go overseas.

[video=youtube;hZstD6CGVHs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZstD6CGVHs[/video]

MTM3NTAxODQxNzI1MzM0OTU3.jpg

For a fraction of the cost, u get better deals in Geylang. Seeing girls in bikinis give u a hard on?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would not invest in an airlines because it can be a cut throat business. However if I did & the decision was between Vietair & SIA I would chose Vietair because they haven't got the baggage of SIA i.e. too many overpaid bureaucrats

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A temasek holdings or GIC that is focused on local domestic companies or GLCs is doomed to fail,like a Titanic waiting to hit an iceberg,it doesn't matter what direction the ships pointing in,up or down,or steered by the PAP or WP.even the Chinese are smart,their companies, Lenovo and Xiaomi and Dalian Wanda is beginning to dominate internationally.mahatir should not be crying now that 50% of proton is now owned by the chinks.this is only the first payday,the next payday will be when proton makes billions from selling millions of proton cherry qq's,followed by the third payday when China offers to buyout proton for evrn more billions.lets face it the m&ds are not capable of making jackshit anyway.

Last edited:

uvwxyz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You bought SIA at 9.99. Today it went to 9.66c. Are you thinking of buying more at $9.66?

Oh sorry I didn't see your post but yes I did buy a little more at 9.68 but thats it, no more. I will see what to do about this stock ex dividend but I will for sure cut loss at or around 9.40.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, HC and TH will use our CPF money to support SIA. But if fundamentally the company's business model is flawed, it cant be supported in the long run. Look at SMRT and NOL. SIA has to change to face rising competition. Its present form to depend on premium class passengers cant be sustained in the present competitive and poor economic climate. Not many companies are willing to fill SIA planes with First and Business Class passengers. The money is still on the mass economic class which SIA is faltering

Do you have any idea of their wage renumeration bill??? Got to be HUGE with all the fat cats!