• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Insights from an Elite into PAP Cock-ups, shows PAP is really brainless self promoter

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
So, I was reading this long article, it was an interview with Elite Tay Kheng Soon. Lets remember this guy is the elite of the elite, an internationally recognized architect, and an award winning architect, designer of Golden Mile Complex, brother of Minister Tay Eng Soon, owner of his own architect firm, and generally rich as hell. Many Sammyboyers here know him by reputation or even personally. In his role as an elite architect, he has naturally many interactions with the govt and the higher ups and powers to be in the govt. His comments about the govt and the inner workings of the govt reveals just how incompetent and screwed up it is. All these shit about them deserving the bestest salary in the world, and about how great they are and how much they have done for the country, are all lies when you read this conversation with TKS. Here are excerpts from it and my comments on it.

Bharati Jagdish: Your engagement with the Government on planning issues wasn't always positive. Why so?
Tay: We didn't set out to be negative at all. Unfortunately, the Government at that time, and to some extent even now, is rather unaccepting of alternative points of view. So inevitably, we came into conflict.

I mean, take the case of the expansion of the Paya Lebar Airport. SPUR took it up very publicly, because we got a map that showed the expansion of Paya Lebar Airport with two additional runways, including the existing one, which would have meant that the whole of the Katong, Mountbatten areas, and the Pasir Ris, Tampines areas would have been totally sterilised as a result of the entry and exit of the flight paths, the noise, the crash zones, etc. That would have killed one quarter of Singapore.

Bharati: You wanted for it to be in Changi, and it did end up there.

Tay: We simply went public on it and said it ought to be moved to Changi because the British had announced a pull-out east of Suez and Changi RAF Airport would become available, so why not move it there? And then all the flight paths will be over the sea, and the noise and the dangers would be handled much better.
Bharati: And it is in Changi today. So what exactly led to that? Earlier you mentioned that the Singapore Government in those days, and you said even today, is not very accepting of ideas that don't concur with their own. But the airport ended up in Changi as you had suggested and is still there today.
Tay: Not only ideas that don't concur with their own, they have a monopoly … They want to maintain a monopoly of wisdom. So any other wisdom that comes out from other sources has to be proscribed.

Bharati: But we should acknowledge that the airport is in Changi today.
Tay: Yes. So the initial reaction by the Permanent Secretary of National Development at that time, Mr Howe Yoon Chong, was to really scold us publicly. He said that we shouldn't bother ourselves with such important issues. We should just spend our time looking at drains and maintaining the roads. But to his credit, it was he eventually who championed the move to Changi.

Its interesting to note here that he said the govt back then and even today was unaccepting of alternate ideas and viewpoints. We are not talking about political viewpoints here. But rather about economic, and industrial and infrastructure viewpoints. Is that why we were caught with housing shortages and price increases in flats? Is that why we were caught with flooding constantly? Is that why we were caught with very congested MRT and constant breakdowns in it? I can only conclude that the answer is yes.

So, it was TAy and his group that suggested the move to Changi, In retrospect, it was the correct and only move. And he made a strong case for it. Added to the fact that he used a whole range of input, such as knowledge of the UK withdrawal and availability of Changi AB, to present a cogent logical argument for the expansion of Changi, and yet was publicly scolded by Howe Yoon Chong for his troubles. A smaller man, with less confidence would have cowered and dropped his balls the minute a Minister criticize him publicly. I refer to Law Minsiter Shan and Professor Low. A smaller man would have given in and publicly admitted his choice of Changi was wrong. And the PAP would have gone ahead and expanded Paya Lebar with one quarter of SIngapore useless due to the flight paths of the planes.

Its very interesting too that he mentions the PAP needs to have a monopoly on wisdom. If any wisdom does not come from the PAP, then its "proscribed", in other words, forbidden and denounced. Herein lies the problem. The PAP has showned that recent calibre of higher officials are at best average mortals. For them to have a monopoly on wisdom coming out of these average or below average minds is scary. SIngapore is a small country. Every one of its citizens is its own precious resource. To the ever lasting shame of Old Fart, instead of taking everyone's idea, shifting through it, and finding the ones that are better then his own, his own arrogance prescribed the opposite approach. for such a small country like ours, we cannot live on imported FTs, or fake GDP growth by building lots of flats, we have to live by our wits and our cunning. This, we have not been doing, because the people with the wits and cunning are being frozen out of the decision making process. The PAP's view is that if you are not a scholar, and a scholar approved by us and a scholar who went to the right school and the right scholarship, then you have no view or that your view is automatically inferior to theirs.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Re: Insights from an Elite into PAP Cock-ups, shows PAP is really brainless self prom

Bharati: So, doesn’t this show that the Government is open to considering other ideas?
Tay: Yeah, they're open to ideas provided there is a decent period of burial…
Bharati: Decent period of burial?
Tay: There must be some time lag, so that people forget. And public memory is usually very short. Once they've forgotten, then the good idea or whatever that may be, would be resurrected by the Government as their own ideas.
Bharati: So you feel that's what happened in this case?
Tay: I think so because the imperatives of power demand, at that time, even now, the dominance of the centralised wisdom.

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...es-tay-kheng-soon-on-decentralisation-8843960

Is this even continuing to happen now? How many professionals of TKS stature will go against the govt privately, much less publicly and tell them they are wrong. Are any good ideas even brought up anymore for fear of reprisals and ostracization? I have not heard of a recent case of "burial", where some one came up with a good idea which the govt killed off because it was not their own. And then later resurrected it under their own name? Anyone know of one? In any case, TKS has revealed by this comment that in the past, the PAP did still other people's ideas and then claim it as their own and then demand to be rewarded generously for plagiarism.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Insights from an Elite into PAP Cock-ups, shows PAP is really brainless self prom

Usually it's those ex old crony and minion farts like TKS who has one feet in the grave and not afraid of vile pap anymore that are speaking up. Ngiam TD is another one

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Good Post Papsmearer. Thank you for sharing that.

My father used to be a senior civil servant. He has often given me insights into the workings of the civil service. He has worked with Mr Howe Yoon Chong before. While a very bad tempered and fierce person, Mr Howe generally made good decisions for the good of the public.

Back then, the salary of Ministers was not that much higher than the civil servants. Hence they worked together closely. Ideas were shared. Civil servants were often told their job was to serve the people, save the country money, never overspend and make the best decisions for the overall good.

Things changed after LHL and his gang of SAF people started coming in.

Of course we know about the massive increase in salaries of the Ministers which made them feel way more superior and "smarter" than the civil servants. Health benefits of the civil servants were taken away by LHL too. LHL's SAF cronies were placed into more positions in the senior civil service ranks.

Over the years they have raised the salaries of senior civil servants as well. It is to reward the cronies and further establish obedience. If you have lots to risk and give up (ie you know you command salary way higher than what you are worth in the private sector) then you are more likely to be a yes man and be a cheerleader for the boss's ideas and opinions. Makes the boss's job easy.

In the old days, civil servants worked because they really wanted to build Singapore. It was not for the money because their salaries were pretty crappy anyway. They did have pensions which were another reason to stay on for. But these days there is no pension either. So clearly those civil servants who stay are because they know they cannot do better anywhere else.

Personally, my experience with MOH and internal Singhealth and NHG admin is the same. Nobody really wants any "new ideas".

Why?

When there is a meeting and the boss asks "Is there anything we need to improve on? Are there any problems?"

This is a bait/trap question. The one who answers "Yes there is XYZ problem. Can we try to do ABC? It will improve XYZ. Right now XYZ is causing LMNOP problems" is either a very stupid henta kaki fellow or a very newbie. When the boss asks such a question, if you answer that way, he/she will view you as incompetent. Boss will think "why this stupid fellow cannot solve the problem himself/herself? Why must tell me? Then want me to solve the problem? Useless bugger"

Boss wants to hear "everything is going well Sir/Madam!" Then there will be a bit of a pause. Everyone keeps quiet and then Boss says how about A Department look into improving Q issue? I have identified XYZ problem and think Q needs to be improved"

The smart officers will say "That is an excellent idea boss! I think it is very good. We should look at improving that. I will look into it right away and come up with some proposals"

In other words never be the one to bring up any suggestions because if you do, you also are implying there is a problem. And that problem may not be what boss thinks is worth his/her time to look into.

Let the boss direct what needs to be done.

I learnt this the hard way myself because my father worked in a time when the civil servants were really asked to sit at the table almost of equal standing with their bosses. Remember Philip Yeo? Another example. And this worked well for Singapore of course. See the massive improvement and growth prior to LHL coming into the fold.

After LHL......it is all a pile of feces. Officers who do well in Civil service now are ones who are good at implementing the boss's directives and very good at apple polishing.

salim

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is this even continuing to happen now? How many professionals of TKS stature will go against the govt privately, much less publicly and tell them they are wrong. Are any good ideas even brought up anymore for fear of reprisals and ostracization? I have not heard of a recent case of "burial", where some one came up with a good idea which the govt killed off because it was not their own. And then later resurrected it under their own name? Anyone know of one? In any case, TKS has revealed by this comment that in the past, the PAP did still other people's ideas and then claim it as their own and then demand to be rewarded generously for plagiarism.

This is common knowledge among people who have dealt with govt agencies. First your idea(s) was politely turned down. Next, few months or a year later, the same idea(s) was adopted by one of the GLCs. All these careerists are always on the lookout for idea(s). The most recent infamous case was MINDEF vs Dr Ting Choon Meng. There is just no integrity right at the top echelon.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-names-for-circle-lines-keppel-cantonment-and

Sigh.

Wanna bet

Keppel Station best name will be Keppel Station?

Cantonment Station best name will be Keppel Station?

Prince Edward Station best name will be Prince Edward Station?

Same as before Marina Bay had some several hundred thousand dollar budget to come up with a name finally settled on Marina Bay.

Budget Terminal had competition and winning name was the Budget Terminal.

Laughing stock lah civil service. Waste time waste money. Nothing better to do is it? Yeah I guess so.

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal

Good Post Papsmearer. Thank you for sharing that.

My father used to be a senior civil servant. He has often given me insights into the workings of the civil service. He has worked with Mr Howe Yoon Chong before. While a very bad tempered and fierce person, Mr Howe generally made good decisions for the good of the public.

Back then, the salary of Ministers was not that much higher than the civil servants. Hence they worked together closely. Ideas were shared. Civil servants were often told their job was to serve the people, save the country money, never overspend and make the best decisions for the overall good.

Of course we know about the massive increase in salaries of the Ministers which made them feel way more superior and "smarter" than the civil servants. Health benefits of the civil servants were taken away by LHL too. LHL's SAF cronies were placed into more positions in the senior civil service ranks.

Over the years they have raised the salaries of senior civil servants as well. It is to reward the cronies and further establish obedience. If you have lots to risk and give up (ie you know you command salary way higher than what you are worth in the private sector) then you are more likely to be a yes man and be a cheerleader for the boss's ideas and opinions. Makes the boss's job easy.

In the old days, civil servants worked because they really wanted to build Singapore. It was not for the money because their salaries were pretty crappy anyway. They did have pensions which were another reason to stay on for. But these days there is no pension either. So clearly those civil servants who stay are because they know they cannot do better anywhere else.

Personally, my experience with MOH and internal Singhealth and NHG admin is the same. Nobody really wants any "new ideas".

Why?

When there is a meeting and the boss asks "Is there anything we need to improve on? Are there any problems?"

This is a bait/trap question. The one who answers "Yes there is XYZ problem. Can we try to do ABC? It will improve XYZ. Right now XYZ is causing LMNOP problems" is either a very stupid henta kaki fellow or a very newbie. When the boss asks such a question, if you answer that way, he/she will view you as incompetent. Boss will think "why this stupid fellow cannot solve the problem himself/herself? Why must tell me? Then want me to solve the problem? Useless bugger"

Boss wants to hear "everything is going well Sir/Madam!" Then there will be a bit of a pause. Everyone keeps quiet and then Boss says how about A Department look into improving Q issue? I have identified XYZ problem and think Q needs to be improved"

The smart officers will say "That is an excellent idea boss! I think it is very good. We should look at improving that. I will look into it right away and come up with some proposals"

In other words never be the one to bring up any suggestions because if you do, you also are implying there is a problem. And that problem may not be what boss thinks is worth his/her time to look into.

I learnt this the hard way myself because my father worked in a time when the civil servants were really asked to sit at the table almost of equal standing with their bosses. Remember Philip Yeo? Another example. And this worked well for Singapore of course. See the massive improvement and growth prior to LHL coming into the fold.

After LHL......it is all a pile of feces. Officers who do well in Civil service now are ones who are good at implementing the boss's directives and very good at apple polishing.

you got to be joking when you mentioned philip yeo" Remember Philip Yeo? Another example. And this worked well for Singapore of course. See the massive improvement and growth prior to LHL coming into the fold....".
this guy is the classic example of a pompous bureaucrat who knows nuts. all his project from suzhou to A star and biopolis were great flops and a waste of billions tax payer money. I still remember the ST quoting him as saying he knows all about genetics after reading a small primer on it overnight!!!! As you can see Astar and biopolis were great flops. 20 years and not a single achievements at all. this guy thought you can replicate overnight the academic aura of esteemed insituitions just by employing all these dead wood. I still remember I almost fell off my chair when shitty times reported in thier front page about singapore being able to teach USSR about science and technology!!!! how pompous can you get!!!!! they have send man into space and here we are talking c@ck. The old man LKY read it and was so embarrassed that he ordered a clarification/retraction on the news the next day. philip typifies these arrogant people. all the nobel laureates they hired were flash in the pan coming here for their million dollar salary and running away after getting their fill. please don't insult all the businessmen, scientists and doctors in singapore by quotng philip yeo as a good example. suzhou is a classic example of how an arrogant obnoxious guy was brought to his knees by overseas people in their backyard.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

This stupid reporter Bharati is trying to trip up TKS and embarass him or make him retract his prior statements. But he is having her lunch. Never send a sheep to slay a lion. So, TKS has revealed that you have to be someone's henchmen in order to enter politics. No wonder I see politicians whacking other people in areas of responsibility that is not their own. And he has also revealed that you must approach the govt on bend knees and kowtow to them and kiss their ass and suck their lancheow in order to get anything across. TKS calls it demonstrated deference. And he was not build for that. Neither was I. But I am a nobody. TKS is a somebody, so he can publicly make known his views and he cannot be touched. I on the other hand have only Sammyboy Forum. LOL. And no one protects me.

Bharati:
Why not join politics? You could have tried to change things from within.
Tay: My temperament. I cannot subject myself to party discipline or to be a henchman of somebody. So the only way to make a contribution to society was just to be very open and public about it.

Bharati: Why do you take up these things publicly? Haven't you ever considered engaging the Government in private? Maybe that would go down better.

Tay: The culture then and I think to some extent it still exists, is a petitionary culture. When you approach Government, you must do so with a certain degree of demonstrated deference, and that again, is not in my character. I always speak on the basis of equality. It's the cogency of the ideas that matters. It's not the position or the power relations between people that matters. It's the cogency, and I insist on that.

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...es-tay-kheng-soon-on-decentralisation-8843960

Last edited:

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to nayr69sg again.

Why?

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to numero uno again.

you got to be joking when you mentioned philip yeo" Remember Philip Yeo? Another example. And this worked well for Singapore of course. See the massive improvement and growth prior to LHL coming into the fold....".
this guy is the classic example of a pompous bureaucrat who knows nuts. all his project from suzhou to A star and biopolis were great flops and a waste of billions tax payer money. I still remember the ST quoting him as saying he knows all about genetics after reading a small primer on it overnight!!!! As you can see Astar and biopolis were great flops. 20 years and not a single achievements at all. this guy thought you can replicate overnight the academic aura of esteemed insituitions just by employing all these dead wood. I still remember I almost fell off my chair when shitty times reported in thier front page about singapore being able to teach USSR about science and technology!!!! how pompous can you get!!!!! they have send man into space and here we are talking c@ck. The old man LKY read it and was so embarrassed that he ordered a clarification/retraction on the news the next day. philip typifies these arrogant people. all the nobel laureates they hired were flash in the pan coming here for their million dollar salary and running away after getting their fill. please don't insult all the businessmen, scientists and doctors in singapore by quotng philip yeo as a good example. suzhou is a classic example of how an arrogant obnoxious guy was brought to his knees by overseas people in their backyard.

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

For the entire thread :

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Papsmearer again.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stating the obvious things.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chan Heng Chee used to be Mrs Tay KS.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Chan Heng Chee used to be Mrs Tay KS.

No wonder TKS divorced her. She
sold her soul to the PAP just like Tharm. Must not have set well with TKS.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

China will never deal with any of the Lees seriously from now on. It was only out of respect of KY whom they did not think that much of either. The grandson will be ignored. Look forward to the new leader in Singapore which China chooses to work with.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

You are quite right about Philip Yeo becoming pompous and egoistic later on. He did come from a humble background and wasn't so arrogant in his early days. That's as far as my father can attest to as he was his good friend. I remember Philip Yeo visiting us during one Chinese New Year sometime in the early 1980s.

But later on with his successes and strong backing from Goh Keng Swee, he got too full of himself. I cannot recall though but it might have coincided with the LHL period when cronyism started in full force.

You have to admit that prior to LHL coming into politics Singapore was actually doing very well. Up till 1990 I think most Singaporeans felt proud to sing all those National Day songs.

When was the last real National Day song? One People One Nation One Singapore(1990)? It's the Little Things (1992)? After that was all the pop type rubbish songs with no real meaning. Except for Home by Kit Chan, the rest are forgettable.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

You are quite right about Philip Yeo becoming pompous and egoistic later on. He did come from a humble background and wasn't so arrogant in his early days. That's as far as my father can attest to as he was his good friend. I remember Philip Yeo visiting us during one Chinese New Year sometime in the early 1980s.

But later on with his successes and strong backing from Goh Keng Swee, he got too full of himself. I cannot recall though but it might have coincided with the LHL period when cronyism started in full force.

You have to admit that prior to LHL coming into politics Singapore was actually doing very well. Up till 1990 I think most Singaporeans felt proud to sing all those National Day songs.

When was the last real National Day song? One People One Nation One Singapore(1990)? It's the Little Things (1992)? After that was all the pop type rubbish songs with no real meaning. Except for Home by Kit Chan, the rest are forgettable.

From wiki, a distinguished list of fuck ups.

In 1998, as Chairman of EDB, he decided to name publicly the holders of government scholarships who broke their bonds to shame them. This created a controversy generating public debates on whether those who received scholarship have a moral obligation to serve, or whether the scholarship is merely a contractual agreement which could be broken in return for the stated penalties. The debate culminated when MP Chng Hee Kok (庄熙国) questioned Yeo's decision. Yeo responded by calling for Chng to resign his seat in Parliament because of his view.[SUP][30][/SUP][SUP][31][/SUP] This led to even more unhappiness at the audacity of a civil servant talking down to an elected Member of Parliament. Then Deputy Prime Minister, Lee Hsien Loong had to intervene in what was seen as a face-saving rebuke for both – that Philip Yeo was wrong to tell Chng Hee Kok to resign, but Chng had also been wrong in arguing that it was acceptable for scholars to break their bonds because they were merely legal contracts.[SUP][31][/SUP]
In May 2005, the controversy of A*STAR bond-breakers was revived when The New Paper published an article about him writing in his book that men in Singapore were wimps, whiny, and immature even though they have served the National Service (NS).[SUP][32][/SUP] The reason Yeo gave was that all bond-breakers since early 90s were Singapore men. The anger was further fuelled when a female A*STAR scholar, Chng Zhenzhi, backed his statements and openly declared that Singapore men were fine until "(once) they enter NS, they complain a lot."[SUP][33][/SUP] Philip Yeo served in the part-time NS Special Constabulary (SC) from 1976/78 with the rank of Inspector.
In the same month, Chen Jiahao, a Singaporean PhD candidate at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign was threatened with legal action for accusing A*Star and Philip Yeo of "bribing universities for taking in PhD students" under the moniker AcidFlask on his blog caustic.soda.[SUP][34][/SUP] Chen went on to accuse A*Star of "giving out gobs of honey to universities who will sign back-door agreements for taking in scholars without going through the formal application procedure." Philip Yeo and A*Star responded with threat of legal action, stating that the statements made in AcidFlask's blog would have been understood to mean that A*Star had acted corruptly in its dealings with universities. The statements also cast serious aspersions on A*Star's scholars to the effect that they were not admitted to their universities on merit but only because their universities were bribed by A*Star to do so. A*Star demanded a public apology from Chen and that the offending and defamatory postings in AcidFlask's 3 March 2005 blog be deleted. Chen chose to shut down his entire blog-site. All posts were removed voluntarily, and replaced with an unreserved apology to "A*STAR, its chairman Mr. Philip Yeo, and its executive officers for the distress and embarrassment" caused.[SUP][35][/SUP][SUP][36][/SUP] The incidents upset several members of the local blogging community[SUP][33][/SUP] for his statements. In February 2007, Yeo, in the comments of another blog, revealed the exact posts that were considered defamatory.[SUP][37][/SUP][SUP][38][/SUP]
In 2006, Philip Yeo began to face criticism for his Biotech strategy. As billions in taxpayers' money had been spent to develop the Biomedical Industry in Singapore. Philip Yeo countered his critics by pointing out that Biomedical manufacturing output had quadrupled from S$6 billion in 2000 to S$23 billion in the 5 years that the country had been investing in the sector. In that short period, the Biomedical industry grew to account for over 5% of Singapore's GDP and 10,600 high value added jobs. In addition, Yeo also pointed out that during the 5 years of investment, more than 25 companies started research centres in Singapore, including three corporate R&D laboratories run by Eli Lilly and Company, GlaxoSmithKline and Novartis.[SUP][39][/SUP]
In late 2006, Dr. Lee Wei Ling, head of National Neuroscience Institute, publicly questioned the policy of Philip Yeo and A*Star, asserting that they were wrong by putting public money on competing with western countries on cutting-edge research. She said that Singapore should instead focus on niche areas in Biotech research.[SUP][40][/SUP]
Yeo's work in developing the biomedical industry has received praises by some analysts including Nature correspondent David Cyranoski who wrote that "Singapore's impressive advances in biomedicine are driven by the energetic personality of Philip Yeo."[SUP][41][/SUP]
In response to his daughter's comments, Lee Kuan Yew has stated the following:[SUP][42][/SUP]
"This issue has been deliberated over a period of several months in Cabinet and decided by PM Goh and cabinet. The policy has been continued by PM Lee and his cabinet. We have made significant investments in time and resources. We have to get the most out of what we have put in."

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Many of the hardworking civil servants are not famous. They did their work diligently. Not for fame.

LHL and his know nothing SAF clowns started the downfall of Singapore and history will show this when Singapore is no more.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Many of the hardworking civil servants are not famous. They did their work diligently. Not for fame.

LHL and his know nothing SAF clowns started the downfall of Singapore and history will show this when Singapore is no more.

After zikapore
got independence, Old Fart ask the civil servants to work hard and sacrifice with him to build singapore. They did this. After they build up the countyr, he became very rich, and the civil servants just end up with crumbs.