• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Evidence of excessive (overboard) legislation in Singapore.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Evidence of excessive (overboard) legislation in Singapore.

Why must parliament create legislation to say "Under the Intestate Succession Act, an illegitimate child ranks behind the spouse and legitimate children when it comes to inheritance." ???!!! http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/unwed-mum-adopts-own-biological-daughter
Jiak pah ka eng (eat too full, nothing to do) is it?
Like that might as well discriminate between adopted kids or otherwise, male vs female offspring, kids of 1st wife vs 2nd or even if religion of parent vs child were related/different or if the spouse were Chinese, Malay or Indian???!!!
As if parliament knew based on child's birth status the relationship between parent and child. Possibly, many moonlighting parliamentarians are senior counsel/ law firm owners etc and they just create UNNECESSARILY complex laws so as to unnecessarily prolong court cases and line their own pockets (just like the superfluous issue of 'agent' in the CHC(/Kong Hee) case to supersede any significant weightage on amounts of $ misused or the inherent brainwashing powers of religious leaders, until now the court of appeal comprising 5 judges of appeal need to convene to interpret the UNNECESSARILY complex and confusing legislation).

God never made any child less valuable to the parent whether born in or out of wedlock: PAP in penalizing innocent children just goes to show how crass and low our politicians are willing to go.

Unwed mum adopts own biological daughter
ST_20170511_XHADOPT11YQGL_3132636.jpg

Ms Tan (not her real name) started the adoption process for her two-year-old daughter last August. They now live with Ms Tan's parents in her brother's marital home. Once the adoption goes through, she plans to buy a built-to-order flat in her and her daughter's names.ST PHOTO: JONATHAN CHOO
PUBLISHEDMAY 11, 2017, 5:00 AM SGT
Some mums do so to protect child's interests, gain benefits given only to legitimate children
Kok Xing Hui
Within the month, two-year-old Lorraine Tan (not her real name) will be formally adopted.

She and her adoptive mum will then be treated as any mother and daughter - they will be legally recognised as a family nucleus.

The unique thing about this story: Little Lorraine is not an orphan awaiting a new home. She is a child born out of wedlock who is being adopted by her biological mother.

Her mother, who requested anonymity, started the adoption process last August after seeing mentions of it on a Facebook page belonging to a support group for single parents.
"I saw a post talking about adoption. One woman left a comment saying that she did it for less than $1,000. So I sent her a message and asked her how she did it," said Ms Tan, 38, a civil servant.

She also saw mentions of adoption on the Baby Bonus brochure and on the FAQ pages on taxes.

Unwed parents do adopt their biological children. But that usually happens after they marry a partner who is not the child's parent, and they want him or her to become the legal parent of the child.

<$1k
Cost of adoption for Ms Tan, who navigated legal procedures on her own by filing e-litigation papers.

$3k
Minimum amount Ms Tan would have to pay if she had engaged a lawyer.

Cases of unwed parents singly adopting their children are "very few", said the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF).

"Our laws do not require them to do so. Some unwed parents may nonetheless choose to do so, for reasons such as to terminate the rights and responsibilities of the other parent," the MSF added.

The Straits Times knows of at least two other mothers doing this, one of whom has successfully concluded her case.

Family lawyer Koh Tien Hua said that this procedure is allowed under the Adoption of Children Act, and it "makes the illegitimate child her lawful child, as if the child was born to her in lawful wedlock".

The move essentially removes the label of illegitimacy without changing the circumstances of the child. Lorraine, for example, will have all the rights of a child born to a married couple.

Currently, the differences between legitimate and illegitimate children are benefits such as housing, housing subsidies, the Baby Bonus cash gift, tax relief for the parent and inheritance priority.

Under the Intestate Succession Act, an illegitimate child ranks behind the spouse and legitimate children when it comes to inheritance.

In Parliament last year, the MSF said: "Parents who want to leave something for their illegitimate child should make a will."

Ms Tan's initial impetus for the adoption was the Baby Bonus cash gift and the Child Development Account (CDA) of up to $6,000, which has since been extended to children of unwed mothers born from September last year.

"That was the push factor. But when I started the journey, I noticed more benefits," said Ms Tan.

Top of her list was that Lorraine's biological father - who is married and does not want to acknowledge the child - would have to give up all ties to the girl.

"So in future, he cannot turn around to claim against her," she said, referring to the Maintenance of Parents Act.

The adoption costs less than $1,000 for Ms Tan, who navigated the legal procedures on her own by filing e-litigation papers. Engaging a lawyer would have set her back between $3,000 and $5,000.

Experts said allowing an unwed mum's adoption to change the legitimacy status of a child is like making them jump through hoops.

In recent years, Singapore has moved to equalise benefits for children of unwed parents.

Most recently, those born this year to unwed mothers will have 16 weeks of maternity leave instead of eight weeks previously.

The MSF said: "Government benefits that support the growth and development of children are given to all Singaporean children, regardless of their legitimacy status."

Lawyer Ivan Cheong said unwed mothers are more likely to initiate an adoption for personal reasons rather than benefits since issues such as inheritance can be dealt with by writing a will, which will cost under $500.

He added: "From a layman's view, it sounds very artificial."

Women's rights group Aware called the process of "labelling children as illegitimate" absurd.

Law professor Leong Wai Kum has long called for this label to be removed. In a 2011 paper, she wrote: "With our evermore enlightened view of appropriate legal protection of children, it is incontrovertibly unsuitable."

Family lawyer Sim Bock Eng pointed to the Women's Charter and how both parents are obligated to maintain the child - legitimate or not. She added: "It may be more productive to focus on the parent-child relationship as opposed to the relationship between his parents."

Unwed mothers like Ms Tan may find it "silly and ridiculous", but she said she would do anything for Lorraine's benefit.

She and her daughter now live with Ms Tan's parents in her brother's marital home.

Once the adoption goes through, she plans to buy a built-to-order flat in her and her daughter's names so that the child's future is secure even when Ms Tan dies. She said: "I have to protect my daughter's interests."
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/unwed-mum-adopts-own-biological-daughter

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seems odd and counterintuitive - a biological mother adopting her own biological kid because the kid is illegitimate. I get the part of priority ranking in terms of inheritance but what I dont get is why the illegitimate child is not eligble for state benefits like all other Singaporean kids.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seems odd and counterintuitive - a biological mother adopting her own biological kid because the kid is illegitimate. I get the part of priority ranking in terms of inheritance but what I dont get is why the illegitimate child is not eligble for state benefits like all other Singaporean kids.

PAP claims that Singapore is a democracy is as true as DPRK's Kim dynastie's claims of having democratically earned authority.
On this account, Singapore is very much a caste based society.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
strange. I wonder where this discrimination of "illegitimate" children came from? Was it from British Law?

Certainly would be cannon fodder for human rights activists.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was caught by surprise by this. I wonder if it started with the family nucleus eligibility for HDB and if this went on to grants across the board. Which is shocking. I don't think such a discriminatory practice even exist in the 3rd world. The usual challenges for illegitimate children is inheritance, right to certain privileges such as titles etc but not for grants for general citizens. Adopting your own biological child is ludicrous just to be treated as Singaporean child.

strange. I wonder where this discrimination of "illegitimate" children came from? Was it from British Law?

Certainly would be cannon fodder for human rights activists.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I was caught by surprise by this. I wonder if it started with the family nucleus eligibility for HDB and if this went on to grants across the board. Which is shocking. I don't think such a discriminatory practice even exist in the 3rd world. The usual challenges for illegitimate children is inheritance, right to certain privileges such as titles etc but not for grants for general citizens. Adopting your own biological child is ludicrous just to be treated as Singaporean child.

If I am not wrong, being born illegitimate ie one of the parents refuses to say he/she is the parent (although I wonder how the woman can say it is not her child if she gives birth to the child, so it only applies to fathers?) amounts to the child being an orphan for legal status?

The women's rights group should say something about this as obviously it puts a lot of stress and difficulties on only the mother.

Why can't the mother be the legal single parent of the child by default?

It is not like the child was found abandoned in some place and then police tracked down the mother. That I may be able to understand the "illegitimate" status.

In Canada there are many children born out of wedlock. Many couples are considered common law partners but not married. Children born are still considered full citizens with full equal rights.

Absolutely appalling from Singapore!

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I share your sentiments. I may spend some time to see what is going on.

If I am not wrong, being born illegitimate ie one of the parents refuses to say he/she is the parent (although I wonder how the woman can say it is not her child if she gives birth to the child, so it only applies to fathers?) amounts to the child being an orphan for legal status?

The women's rights group should say something about this as obviously it puts a lot of stress and difficulties on only the mother.

Why can't the mother be the legal single parent of the child by default?

It is not like the child was found abandoned in some place and then police tracked down the mother. That I may be able to understand the "illegitimate" status.

In Canada there are many children born out of wedlock. Many couples are considered common law partners but not married. Children born are still considered full citizens with full equal rights.

Absolutely appalling from Singapore!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's why Islam is so great.
Because can have 4 wives. No such headaches.
Polygamy should be legalised. Allahu Akbar!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like quite a lot of people in Govt and society were caught by surprise by this. They too had no idea this was happening. Yes, Aware and TOC have made comments with TOC providing more details.

This is what I have gathered.

1. The govt had conveniently used the inheritance legislation inherited from the British to conveniently predicate policies in relation to grants for children.

2. In 2016, due to complaints from social workers, the govt made some changes for CDA grants to be given to illegitimate children but not all other other grants.

3. Even if the father's name appears in the BC and he acknowledged the kid as his, but if there is no marriage, then it is not recognised as a legitimate kid.

4. Fathers to avoid bigamy charges and to keep the peace with the first family either draw a will to provide for their illegitimate offsprings or legally adopt the kid without marrying the mother. Some fathers have not only adopted the kids but also convinced the 1st wife to be party to the adoption. I think we have one case in this forum.

5. Some lawyers who are familiar with point 4 then recommended the same approach for single mums to convert their kids from illegitimate status to legitimate status to be eligible for all benefits which adoption is the not the intended purposes but kudos to them to go down this road with a govt like this.

6. Imagine there are illegitimate males who must have served NS but did not have the right to these grants.

7. There have been court cases in relation to illegitimate children making claims on their biological parents estates without success. It should be noted that the Courts have indicated in their judgement that their hands are tight as it falls within the powers of parliament. Interestingly the judges have also cited the UK where such archaic laws have been changed and one even mentions that we are signatory to some UN convention on protecting children which we ratified but did not follow in this case.

8. Truly a sad and desperate govt who pays top dollar to its leaders but not a penny for its own children born out of wedlock.

ps. I am told the Govt is now under pressure and do expect to see changes. Does not even require a change in legislation, just policy on grants.

Looks like someone from AWARE wrote something to the MSM about this.

Last edited:

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
sanzhu (HWZ) said:
Its just paperwork
For hardworkers
Not for edmwers
The ranking of illegitimate children (born out of wedlock) BELOW that of legitimate (in wedlock) children wrt inheritance law is probably BAD law and should be erased/ ignored.

CONSTITUTION OF THE REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE
(Original Enactment: S 1/63)
[9th August 1965]
PART IV: FUNDAMENTAL LIBERTIES
Equal protection
12.—(1) All persons are equal before the law and entitled to the equal protection of the law.
(2) Except as expressly authorised by this Constitution, there shall be no discrimination against citizens of Singapore on the ground only of religion, race, descent or place of birth in any law or in the appointment to any office or employment under a public authority or in the administration of any law relating to the acquisition, holding or disposition of property or the establishing or carrying on of any trade, business, profession, vocation or employment

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/sear...7728e" Status:inforce Depth:0;rec=0#pr12-he-.

It is no fault of the child that he is born out of wedlock. Intestate inheritance laws should put all offspring, illegitimate or otherwise on equal standing just as all citizens are equal before Singapore law.

Singapore parliament should at soonest occasion convene to expunge this unconstitutional and thus bad law so as to defend the universal rights of all Singaporeans (especially innocent kids) as well as not to violate the constitution of the Republic of Singapore.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
uncle168(HWZ) said:
lawyers need to eat yo

Lawyers called to the bar in Singapore are deemed officials of the court.
Like doctors, engineers and accountants, they are professionals too and must place service to society as the highest calling/ priority.

Any lawyer who spots a bad law contradicting the constitution or denying innocent kids of their universal human right to be treated with justice and equality ought highlight the flaw to parliament rather than proceed to use the loophole for their personal self interest, to the detriment of innocent kids and damage to society in the long run.

Such devious and licentious lawyers should have their licenses to practice revoked as they corrupt the dispensation of justice in Singapore.