• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Good contributors targeted

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Better to give credit when it is due.

I find that spoken English may be different to Singaporeans compared to residents in Canada.

Call it culture or mentality or attitude, it is different, neither good or bad.

Charlie99, as ever you are the polite gentleman.

I call it talking like an ahbeng. Good or not. Yes no good no bad lah. But one can "like" or "dun like".

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think we lost our way somewhat. Our kids start to attend tuition at a very age, the pressure and stress adds up and parents become ultra sensitive to any comments. We also have become skeptical making it worse. What I do see is that a class system emerging - most Singaporeans fall into a Singlish class and these includes HDB as well as private property owners and their mannerisms and peculiarities are similar such as - kiasu, join queues, little confidence in dealing with foreigners with proper English. Then you have a small class of very worldly folks who are more balanced, speak with confidence, articulate well and carry themselves well. In this group you also have some elites. One would have thought with our education system, there would one universal cohort of sorts.

Scroobal, remember what I said about the sinkie mentality of being jealous, petty, envious, kiasee, kiasu? They cannot take it that you give acknowledgment to anyone because they take it as a slight on themselves. This lends credence to what I said.

Another simple example is when someone praises your children in Singapore. You daughter is very smart. Most sinkies will reply in front of the kids..."no lah. Very lazy one. Always have to push her to study otherwise would not make it" or some kind of belittling comment to try not to come across as arrogant or conceited. Why do we have to do this?

In Canada, if people receive praise they politely say thank you. Nothing wrong with that. It acknowledges your sincere praise and accepts it graciously.

Maybe in Singapore people flatter others rather than praise. Praise is true and from the heart. Flattery is through the teeth. That's sinkie culture.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I think we lost our way somewhat. Our kids start to attend tuition at a very age, the pressure and stress adds up and parents become ultra sensitive to any comments. We also have become skeptical making it worse. What I do see is that a class system emerging - most Singaporeans fall into a Singlish class and these includes HDB as well as private property owners and their mannerisms and peculiarities are similar such as - kiasu, join queues, little confidence in dealing with foreigners with proper English. Then you have a small class of very worldly folks who are more balanced, speak with confidence, articulate well and carry themselves well. In this group you also have some elites. One would have thought with our education system, there would one universal cohort of sorts.

majority fall into the Singlish class you mentioned.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
No lah, actually I'm still a beginner. Just been lucky & have been around long enough to avoid many of the newbie mistakes because I've probably have made my share of them :o

I also newbie, good to have people like you around. On to the topic, even in the stock trading forum, you get heaps of trolls bashing people as well. So nothing to it. It's just the eternal September at work.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
No lah, actually I'm still a beginner. Just been lucky & have been around long enough to avoid many of the newbie mistakes because I've probably have made my share of them :o

Me newbie, can point out what is meant by newbie mistakes?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Class system will always exist from monarchies to the possible future class of genetic modified class with extra special genes.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's wrong with class or even caste system? Problem is people who struggle against it. Accept it and live a full life.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Me newbie, can point out what is meant by newbie mistakes?

Maybe newbie is the wrong description? More accurate would be "attitude"

You have to decide whether you are an investor or a trader. As I am an investor my time line is longer. Compared to a trader who has a faster turn around time i.e takes profit quickly. The disadvantage with being a trader is the higher transaction cost & studies have shown that they don't make as much $ as investors.

My most successful investment is Apple & it took a long, long, ... time to mature. In fact I have kept some of my Apple shares for 15+ years & am now collecting dividends from these shares. I had used Apple products & had followed their products so I knew something about Apple products.

I did buy share of products that I didn't know about e.g. Lucent & lost money when the shares fell. Why did I buy Lucent? It was because everyone else that I knew was buying them :o So at least understand about a company's product before you buy their shares.

I spend $ like a poor man & not like spending is going out of fashion. Started by buying a few stocks & avoid putting everything you have into one or two stocks. Having a reserve of $ will ensure that you will not be forced to sell at the wrong time. You will also have $ to buy shares when everyone else is selling at a loss.

For me investing can be an iterative process. You buy & then keep the ones that perform and sell the ones that perform less. Maybe I could have avoided some of the mistakes if I had started to subscribe to publications such as IBD(Investment Business Daily)?

Be patient because stocks may take time to go up . They are like people, when they reach the growth stage, growth can be explosive. When stocks start going up wait for a retracement & then buy some more.