• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Dean Apologizes A Second Time To Shanmugam To Show His Sincerity! Oppies Learn Pls!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
donald-low.jpg

SINGAPORE: Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy Associate Dean Donald Low apologised yet again to Home Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam on Wednesday (May 10) for a Facebook post on the minister's comments that penalties provided under the law must reflect public opinion, calling his initial apology on the issue "insincere".

In an exclusive interview with TODAY last month, Mr Shanmugam said that the Government must pay heed to how society feels about the punishment meted out in criminal cases. “But it doesn’t mean automatically you agree with it. You must assess it, whether it is also fair. So there are two parts to it - one, whether it is fair; two, what does the public believe is right."

Mr Low shared the TODAY article on his Facebook page that same day, stating that "making laws on the basis of public opinion is populism by another name".

Mr Shanmugam soon responded, saying the economist had "seriously misconstrued" what he had said.

A day later, Mr Low apologised in a second post, saying that his initial comments were "mostly a reaction" to the headline of the TODAY article which he thought did not represent Mr Shanmugam's position accurately. "I had read the piece in full, but didn't give your comments sufficient attention in my post. I apologise for that," wrote Mr Low.

The academic's third public post on the issue comes about two weeks after his last comment.

"I have spent several days reflecting on my conduct, in putting up a commentary that was neither accurate nor honest," he wrote.

"I attributed to him views the very opposite of what he held, and then criticised him in a sneering tone."

Mr Low also called his initial apology a "non-apology" that was "insincere and self-exculpatory".

"I tried to claim I was commenting on the headline and not his remarks, when my comments clearly showed otherwise. [When I sent the apology, to make my apology appear true, I also deleted some comments I had made in my FB, which showed that I was in fact commenting on his remarks]."

He said he had written again to the minister to convey his "unreserved apology".

"I had misrepresented your views in the TODAY article, and had presented them in a careless, thoughtless and flippant way. To make things worse, my apology was self-exculpatory. I accept that my criticism of your views was untruthful, unfair and unsubstantiated. I have let the LKY School down. But above all I’m sorry for my original post; it was impulsive and reckless,"
the reproduced letter to the minister read.

Mr Low also said that when he was out of a job in 2012, it was Mr Shanmugam who gave him a recommendation for his current position.

"I decided that I should come clean about someone who had in fact helped me, and I should set out the facts in public."

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...was-insincere-donald-low-to-shanmugam-8833228

Last edited:

kelton65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Dean Apologizes A Second Time To Shanmugam To Show His Sincerity! Oppies Learn Pl

This is not the first time the Donald has misappropriated someone's comments. He lacks serious comprehension skills for someone so educated.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: Dean Apologizes A Second Time To Shanmugam To Show His Sincerity! Oppies Learn Pl

Why are so many Donalds causing problems nowadays.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I believe this silly dean apologized because he was filled with remorse and not because his job could be at stake.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal

It dawns on this fellow that his job is in jeopardy.

What's wrong in trying to rescue his job by any means possible. Correct move in zikapore, where jobs are going to FTs.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's the smartest thing to do... after all, what does he gain, other than his momentary ego , if he sticks to his position. Unless he is prepared to be another CSJ.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's the smartest thing to do... after all, what does he gain, other than his momentary ego , if he sticks to his position. Unless he is prepared to be another CSJ.

The TTH episode must not be forgotten. You are either a toe-the-line civil serpent and get your steady salary on time every month or a maverick who appeals to opposition supporters. You can't be both at the same time.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Any different had he been from Yale -NUS?
A breach of academic freedom on Yale-NUS College’s campus could put its future in jeopardy. In an interview with The Octant, President of Yale University Peter Salovey outlined for the first time that “something of a controversial nature that challenged core academic values” would prompt Yale to withdraw from its agreement with the National University of Singapore (NUS). Academic freedom, or “the ability to teach and learn about anything on campus”, is the most important among these core values.......

Protection of freedom of speech is included in the contract between Yale and NUS, according to Yale-NUS Governing Board Member Roland Betts. The contract also allows either university to back out at any time if they see fit, but the universities would need to give six months notice before officially withdrawing.....................
In the context of Singapore, a liberal arts education may prove to be problematic, since it is often associated with free, uncensored discussion on a wide array of issues. Singapore was ranked 153rd internationally of issues on the 2015 World Press Freedom Index by Reporters Without Borders..................
https://theoctant.org/edition/iii-12/news/academic-freedom-integral-to-yale-nuss-future

Ask yourselves why would a university need to sign a contract that that include protection of freedom of speech ?
Isn't it an admission of the fact?

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He'll soon be driving Grab or Uber. Double first from oxford somemore!

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The TTH episode must not be forgotten. You are either a toe-the-line civil serpent and get your steady salary on time every month or a maverick who appeals to opposition supporters. You can't be both at the same time.

This is the background

Mr Low also said that when he was out of a job in 2012, it was Mr Shanmugam who gave him a recommendation for his current position.
"I decided that I should come clean about someone who had in fact helped me, and I should set out the facts in public."

What he is saying is that he should not bite the hand that feeds him. He is definitely not stupid.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is the background

What he is saying is that he should not bite the hand that feeds him. He is definitely not stupid.

Dean? This type of Dean better resign. Kns. He should show Sham the middle finger and move on.

Now I really lose my respect for this Dean. WHY? HIS rice bowl is at stake and Sham reminded him that he is a jobless statistic until Sham decide to give him a iron rice bowl.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dean? This type of Dean better resign. Kns. He should show Sham the middle finger and move on.

Now I really lose my respect for this Dean. WHY? HIS rice bowl is at stake and Sham reminded him that he is a jobless statistic until Sham decide to give him a iron rice bowl.

Get real ! Can ego feed you for the rest of your days ?

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

I believe this silly dean apologized because he was filled with remorse and not because his job could be at stake.

after sungei road thieves market president got hauled, it become wake up call

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

jiak liao bee ministar will replace him with a diploma holder from pinoy n throw in a bonus

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal

He'll soon be driving Grab or Uber. Double first from oxford somemore!

Why double first from Oxford was out of job in 2012 ? Nabeh, even FT shitskin with fake qualifications from dubious university can find a good job. And even when shit hits the fan, the HR department went all out to protect the shitskin FT with fake qualifications.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal

I wonder where he bought the humble pie from. Bunuhdiri Solo?

CABcommander

Alfrescian
Loyal

Shows that sham dog is really a fucking petty and vindictive bastard.

LOL2015

Alfrescian
Loyal

The real loser is still JohnTan......

Nonstop copying and pasting information from various social media sites that is avaliable for free :biggrin:

image.png

The Penetrator

Alfrescian
Loyal

First apology will save his job , second apology get him pay raise and third time will get a promotion !

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Errr... What in the world does the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy teach anyway?

Looking at the policies the PAP implements......it's a joke.

And when it comes to this type of schooling, what "skills" are we talking about?