• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Stupid Minister: Towkays Prefer Skills Over Degree!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
20160215_job_th032_read-only_2.jpg

SINGAPORE — Urging the public not to be “overly fixated” with the university cohort participation rate, Minister for Education (Higher Education and Skills) Ong Ye Kung stressed on Monday (May 8) that skills would be sought after by employers in the new economy, and not paper qualifications.

“Skills are what carry a premium now, and skills need to be honed throughout our lifetimes ... All of us need to keep learning and deepening our skills throughout our lives,” he said.

Speaking in Parliament during the debate on the Bill to set up the Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) as the Republic’s sixth autonomous university, Mr Ong said degrees can become obsolete in a world where information and knowledge can be found online easily. Degrees do not enable people to earn a living, he pointed out. Instead, “our ability to keep pace with changing needs of the economy is what helps us earn our keep”, he said.

Mr Ong’s comments on Monday came after his remarks at the 47th St Gallen Symposium last week sparked a spirited public debate among some, including former GIC chief economist Yeoh Lam Keong.

During the event held in Switzerland, Mr Ong spoke about the need for Singapore’s education system to be aligned with the structure of the economy, and this means that the proportion of graduates in a cohort has to be capped at about 30 per cent to 40 per cent. In a Facebook post, Mr Yeoh said Mr Ong had trotted out the “same old unimaginative line”, and argued that “the history of education policy is full of examples of existing policy makers underestimating the skill and education needs of the modern economy and overestimating their ability to forecast them”.

Towards the end of his speech in Parliament, Mr Ong alluded to the discussion that arose from his earlier comments. He reiterated that given the diverse needs of the economy requiring more talent from wider fields of expertise, there should be “diverse and multitudinous” paths for people to enhance their skills. Among other things, these could be academic upgrades, apprenticeships, industry certifications, overseas exposures, or simply gaining work experience and making a name for oneself in one’s respective field, he said.

“It would truly be ‘unimaginative’ to confine ourselves to university education as the only way to develop to our full potential,” Mr Ong said. “Degrees do not define us, individually, or as a society ... Our society needs to evolve, such that all occupations, crafts and trades, whether the skills are acquired through a degree education or not, are respected and recognised.”

Singapore’s university cohort participation rate has increased progressively from 20 per cent in 2000, to 30 per cent by 2015. The number is expected to grow, increasing from 35 per cent this year, and 40 per cent by 2020.

The majority of graduates — about 90 per cent hail from the autonomous universities — are able to find jobs within six months after graduation, Mr Ong noted. This is not the case in many countries experiencing severe graduate unemployment due to an oversupply of graduates, and Singapore has to “guard against” suffering from the same fate, he reiterated.

The Government had earlier announced that it would be renaming and restructuring SIM University into an autonomous university. To expand its offering for adult learners, it will further improve the structure and delivery of its programmes for working students, and work with SkillsFuture Singapore Agency and sector agencies to develop industry-relevant courses.

SUSS will also deliver programmes with a “strong social focus”, such as championing disciplines that bring a positive impact to society, said Mr Ong. This could include building a strong niche in the social sciences, such as social work, early childhood education and human resource management. The university will also “infuse the mission of social development into other disciplines”, such as having a compulsory service learning component which requires students to initiate, conceptualise and execute a social project and champion a cause under SUSS’ full-time programmes.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/what-matters-ability-not-university-degree-ong-ke-yung

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how cum they like to gesture with both palms spread out as though there are papayas to grab. hands should cum from below as though to grab pussy would be more indicative of a man's man.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
When did a PAP low life become a HR consultant???

now teaching people what boss want??? Are they paid to wayang such shit???

Sinkies are totally stupid to vote for someone like that.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ong Ye Kung is an idiot. Most of us grassroots leaders dislike him also. One education minister is enough. This guy can't even win his own elections despite so many grassroots leaders, trade unionists and mainstream media helping him in Aljunied.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am very confused, my parents generation will tell you, " you don't study hard, you become a coolie, sweep the streets, travel in the 36 doors vehicle, clean tables, latrines"...& the government will ask you, when you look for work " PAPER"?? or you don't have a degree, go f$#%$%k yourself...

Now, they are telling you this....have the skills of a coolie, forget about qualifications....then, why the need to waste money, going for upgrading courses?...I have an ex-colleague...who was like a bling lemming, followed their callings, have so many upgrade diplomas..when going for job interviews they decline to employ.....TOO QUALIFIED.

???....

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am very confused, my parents generation will tell you, " you don't study hard, you become a coolie, sweep the streets, travel in the 36 doors vehicle, clean tables, latrines"...& the government will ask you, when you look for work " PAPER"?? or you don't have a degree, go f$#%$%k yourself...

Now, they are telling you this....have the skills of a coolie, forget about qualifications....then, why the need to waste money, going for upgrading courses?...I have an ex-colleague...who was like a bling lemming, followed their callings, have so many upgrade diplomas..when going for job interviews they decline to employ.....TOO QUALIFIED.

???....

If you don't have a degree, you can't do professional jobs like doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants, computer programmers.

Even if you are self-taught without degree, you need a damn impressive portfolio before towkays are willing to overlook your lack of paper qualifications. If there is a fuck up, your boss' head will roll for hiring and trusting a dud without qualifications.

Being "too qualified" can mean a lot of things. Sometimes, it could just mean he's too old or too expensive.

I've never turned down an overqualified potential employee before. I just tell him how much salary I am willing to pay for this amount of work I need to be done. The pay's the same regardless how much you exceed my minimum academic expectations.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you don't have a degree, you can't do professional jobs like doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants, computer programmers.

Even if you are self-taught without degree, you need a damn impressive portfolio before towkays are willing to overlook your lack of paper qualifications. If there is a fuck up, your boss' head will roll for hiring and trusting a dud without qualifications.

Being "too qualified" can mean a lot of things. Sometimes, it could just mean he's too old or too expensive.

I've never turned down an overqualified potential employee before. I just tell him how much salary I am willing to pay for this amount of work I need to be done. The pay's the same regardless how much you exceed my minimum academic expectations.

He wasn't too old or too expensive....that example I gave is only one....there were many I know in that situation....have known many too, who "used their hands"...& doing very well, running a business & expanded...

Good....you give me your company name , I direct these poor souls to apply for your company...!!??

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Mr Ong said degrees can become obsolete in a world where information and knowledge can be found online easily. Degrees do not enable people to earn a living, he pointed out ...
y dun he tel his hr 2 put ads dat say ...

. degrees not required ...
. ability 2 find info n knowledge online is a prerequisite ...

stop toking cok! ... :oIo:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It shows that the PM has no control over his cabinet. Nearly every parent and student aspires to complete tertiary education. For many jobs, a tertiary qualification is the basis for skills to be developed. This guy reminds me of another feather head noted for silly remarks. Remember Lim Boon Heng who suggested that degrees need to be renewed periodically thinking that he made a profound observation. He was laughed at, ridiculed and pilloried from pillar to post.

Ong is a media whore and has been chasing publicity from day one like no other minister amongst the new generation. He scored a session at St Gallen hoping to emulate Tharman and fell flat and roasted by the former GIC Chief Economist.

He should stick to give interviews with Sumiko and his favourite eating places.

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Speaking in Parliament during the debate on the Bill to set up the Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) as the Republic’s sixth autonomous university, Mr Ong said degrees can become obsolete ... Degrees do not enable people to earn a living, he pointed out ...
u argue dat u dun nid a degree n yet wanna set up another uni? ...

wat n oxymoron! .

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pap same shits ocer again. When want to do something get idiots to talk about it.

What is this fuck lifelong learning shit?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think u can be a programmer without a degree,there are many young people coming up with apps and websites and becoming millionaires when they are teens.this of course requires business and entrepreneurial sense as well.

People who lists after degrees generally wants to do grunt work,work 9 to 5 in a cubicle for a monthly paycheck.a safe and secure job where they are not responsible for the success or failure of anything,get a 5 percent raise every year for "good performance",where their neck is not constantly on the line.most of the population are like that,nothing wrong,the world needs workers too.

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
It shows that the PM has no control over his cabinet. Nearly every parent and student aspires to complete tertiary education. For many jobs, a tertiary qualification is the basis for skills to be developed. This guy reminds me of another feather head noted for silly remarks. Remember Lim Boon Heng who suggested that degrees need to be renewed periodically thinking that he made a profound observation. He was laughed at, ridiculed and pilloried from pillar to post.

Ong is a media whore and has been chasing publicity from day one like no other minister amongst the new generation. He scored a session at St Gallen hoping to emulate Tharman and fell flat and roasted by the former GIC Chief Economist.

He should stick to give interviews with Sumiko and his favourite eating places.

Very good. Shows that there is no groupthink in the PAP and there can be healthy disagreements in parliament without the opposition.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Both are just as important. Paper qualifications gives you the option of doors that you can knock on. It doesn't mean that they will open for you.

Skills are when at an interview or during the job you are assessed and determines where you go in your career/s.

The trouble with Singapore is that it doesn't require any paper qualifications for tradesmen type jobs eg carpenter, electrician, plumber, car mechanic etc. Hence with those type of jobs, the lack of a paper qualification does not limit you. It also allows companies to bring in cheap foreign labor and train them on the job. What quality work that produces is anyone's guess.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i suggest to the ministar to rename it wuss - workers university of subservient services. afterall, sg needs more maids, cleaners, garbage collectors, cardboard collectors, street cleaners, waste disposal, jagas, tissue providers, etc.

suss is too sussy, reminding us and gweilos of sussie wong. it may relegate the university to slimy status of sexual suggestions. graduates of suss, especially females, may be propositioned to work as pubic relations orifices, oops i mean officeresses, in popular geylang and orchard tower enterprises.