• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Fresh grad hopes to earn $2,500 a month

music123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is helping businesses create new jobs, placing displaced workers in alternative jobs and training workers to grow in their current jobs by focusing on skills, PM Lee said on May Day. Insight talks to a jobseeker and two workers on their experiences.
After studying for three years at local private university SIM Global Education, Mr Sebastian Tay is graduating with a University of London degree in accounting and finance this month.

The 26-year-old is excited by the prospect of working full time and being financially independent, but he is also "a little worried" about actually landing a job.

"There are seniors (in the university) who have graduated last year but still cannot find (permanent) jobs," he said.

He started looking for jobs in March and has sent out about 40 resumes to companies looking for sales, accounting, human resource and finance staff.

He has gone for three interviews so far, with two human resource companies and a local bank.

One of the HR companies offered him a sales job with a $2,000 basic salary and sales commission, which he has turned down.

"I am hoping to get $2,500 to $2,800 per month," he said. "This is the starting pay of fresh graduates."

Mr Tay is aware that the job market is uncertain: "There is news of retrenchments."

He added: "I hope to give my parents money, but they will understand if I cannot find full-time work."

Ms Bhuvaneshwari Shunmuganathan, a research officer, is a volunteer career guide preparing Mr Sebastian Tay for entry into the job market after he graduates this month. ST PHOTO: FELINE LIM
Last month, a friend introduced him to Todo Todo, a network of volunteer career guides started by the National Trades Union Congress and the People's Association.

The network, whose name is a play on the phrase "to do", is part of a broader move by the labour movement to provide its services to new jobseekers even before they enter the workforce.

Under the programme, Mr Tay got to meet working adults who act as volunteer career guides to young jobseekers in this position.

He said: "One of the career guides got me interested in human resource (as opposed to sales), so I have started applying for human resource jobs."

Ms Bhuvaneshwari Shunmuganathan is one of the 100 volunteer career guides in the programme. The research officer at the Agency for Science, Technology and Research sees her role as preparing new entrants for the job market.

"We talk to them, listen to them and share our personal working experiences with them," said the 32-year-old. "We also reassure them if they are worried about finding jobs in the current market."

Mr Tay said he will do contract or temporary work if he cannot find a full-time job after graduation. "I can drive Uber or Grab," he declared.

"I don't believe I cannot find a full-time job within a year. What is more difficult is to find the right job with good career prospects," he said. "And the right pay."

When asked how low a salary he is prepared to accept if he is still unemployed after one year, he replied, after a pause: "Maybe $2,100 per month, as long as the company offers good long-term prospects."

Toh Yong Chuan

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/manpower/fresh-grad-hopes-to-earn-2500-a-month

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is problem with young people nowadays, so easily satisfy. PAP create so many good jobs in Singapore pay more than double! Go steal their lunch!

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Sebestain Tay has got to be realistic on the situation.

The Big4 auditing firms are currently paying $2.8k as starting for Associates and they generally do not accept SIM degrees. If his intention is to look for smaller accounting firms with a SIM degree expecting them to pay $2.5-2.8k then I doubt he's going to get anything soon. "Universities" like SIM, Kaplan, MDIS, HRIS, PSB and the dozens of smaller players out there churn out lorries of degree graduates every year despite the weak economy, he needs to be flexible and not adopt this sort of "no 2.8k no talk" mentality.

Human Resources is a fancy name for manpower administration department. Other than those big global MNC whereby they really value HR and hire good quality people with best practices and tools, most other companies are basically treating HR as clerical in nature. He's not going to get a high starting salary doing entry level things like arranging interviews, processing claims, administering leave, organizing D&D etc.

Also I find his career logic incomprehensible. He had offers with proper companies which he deemed beneath his level, but somehow am willing to be a taxi driver if he can't get anything. Wouldn't it make more sense to take up a job in HR or accounting first and gain the necessary network and experience even if the starting pay is below his expectations? How would driving a taxi for a few years help in his long term career in the first place? Sometimes I really don't know how some Singapore grads think...

Last edited:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
"I am hoping to get $2,500 to $2,800 per month," he said. "This is the starting pay of fresh graduates."

When we refer to 'fresh graduates', we are referring to graduates from NUS, NTU, SMU.

Nobody except self-deluded people refer to SIM graduates from 'fresh graduates'. SIM is a low quality university for graduates who can't qualify for the local unis and too poor to go overseas to study. It's just one notch above a degree mill.

Last edited:

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is problem with young people nowadays, so easily satisfy. PAP create so many good jobs in Singapore pay more than double! Go steal their lunch!

If young sinkies can't steal the foreign talents' lunches, they are doomed and should be eradicated by self-jumping into Marina reservoir.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
can always consider to sell his backside. sailors from 20 nations will provide all form of global interaction

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal

When we refer to 'fresh graduates', we are referring to graduates from NUS, NTU, SMU.

Nobody except self-deluded people refer to SIM graduates from 'fresh graduates'. SIM is a low quality university for graduates who can't qualify for the local unis and too poor to go overseas to study. It's just one notch above a degree mill.

This I have to agree. Degrees from the likes of SIM are mostly generic business/econs subjects and the bar for enrolling and graduating is so low that everyone who pays school fees can pass. Those with credible work experience before studying might get value out of it and be worth something to employers, but poly/JC kids who just fail to get into proper universities and get their parents to pay 20 grand for a piece of paper I really don't see where's the value compared to a diploma or higher NITEC.

Last edited:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
After ten years still asking for 2.4k?

Average hongkie fresh grad's starting pay is about S$2650, slightly higher than over here. But their property prices are through the roof and they don't have PAP or HDB to help young couple's buy their first apartment. Be grateful for PAP.

The average salary for a university graduate’s first job is HK$14,685
and 76% are satisfied with their position according to jobsDB

https://hk.jobsdb.com/en-hk/wp-cont...c/pressrelease/2017/170109_student_PR_Eng.pdf

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Average hongkie fresh grad's starting pay is about S$2650, slightly higher than over here. But their property prices are through the roof and they don't have PAP or HDB to help young couple's buy their first apartment. Be grateful for PAP.

Considering Singapore's GDP per cap is way higher than Hong Kong,don't u find it funny we have the same expectations,the same market rate?

This shows the disposable income of Hong kies is much higher and sinkies are extremely underpaid.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
take a look at the comments. lol.

Sean Lim · Senior Account Manager at Entegris Singapore Pte Ltd
our young generatio has to be realistic with the present job markets. Unlike a unlike in recent past a degree with assure u a very paying job. A lot of the foreign mnc are moving out from here..so if you can land a job even it does not pay well just grab first ...gain some experience and wait for the next uptick in the job market.
Like · Reply · 128 · 7 May 2017 10:13

Aloysius Wong · Associate Sales Director at Appmotion pte ltd
Got jobs in SG that can earn starting $2.6k gross with OT roughly $17.5/hr. Want or dunwan only.
Like · Reply · 26 · 7 May 2017 15:58

MengTong Foo · Singapore
any tom dick n harry can be a degree holder from a foreign uniersity... getting a degree in 3 years but can u increase your wisdom or intellgence in 3 years?
Like · Reply · 34 · 7 May 2017 16:02 · Edited

CH Tan · 3D Artist at MOJO
yeah i had heard cases of people getting Degrees but their knowledge is no where near comparable to even a diploma holder... I think it all boils down to how well you can do in the industry.
Like · Reply · 8 · 8 hrs

Katherine Low · Sales Support Executive at Field International Pte Ltd
If I were you I would have accepted that $2000 job first to gain experience and pay for my daily expenses while slowly looking for other job with higher pay rather than being jobless and have no income for a year, wasting my time.
Like · Reply · 95 · 7 May 2017 16:24

Andy Wong Ming Jun · University of Hull
Is it going to be relevant experience though? Or is it just another low-pay high-turnover rate sort of job? I don't necessarily buy the argument made by some recruiters or companies that they can lowball you and shut you up with promises of giving you experience in your line of work and "long term prospects" that could always change the very next day.
Like · Reply · 4 · 20 hrs

Andy Wong Ming Jun it's better than staying unemployed and continuing taking money off from parents thou? At least I think that amount is enough for one person monthly expenses. Hmm.. I think it'll somehow be relevant otherwise why would he/she submit his/her resume in the first place?
Like · Reply · 9 · 19 hrs

What I meant is actually accept that $2000 'temporary' job for him to work and cover his own daily expenses while slowly looking for other better paid jobs rather than being unemployed doing nothing for a year, a bit wasted. For fresh grads that wants to get high pay at some big companies with great career prospect requires more time (cause not all companies are willing to pay someone high salary without experience but qualifications only and furthermore there's lots of talent out there coming in to look for jobs as well with qualifications and experience, quite competitive.)
Like · Reply · 8 · 19 hrs
Show 1 more reply in this thread

Janice Ng · University of Birmingham
Highly xenophobic post. The foreigners who earn that much are most definitely not from Philippines or India and are most likely Western. A relative of mine works in a health institute, and leads a whole team of experienced nurses from Philippines but their pay is half that of an experienced Singaporean nurse. While job stability for graduates is an issue, please don't use misinformed xenophobic views to add weight to your fears.
Like · Reply · 29 · 7 May 2017 16:40

Chen Chun-You Felix Tan · Country Distributor at Timing - Singapore branch
now that is racism =[
Like · Reply · 1 · 7 May 2017 19:30

Avik Chari · Performance Library Assistant at Boston Conservatory at Berklee Performance Library
Chen Chun-You Felix Tan I don't think she's being racist - she's stating a fact that experienced workers from countries like India/Philippines aren't the ones getting paid well, regardless of their education and experience. Thus the misinformed xenophonbic views. I know an Indian girl with a good education, who was getting half the pay of a white American guy (with lower qualifications) for the same job.
Like · Reply · 18 hrs

Daniel Foo · Reblogger at J. Walter Thompson Asia Pacific
Chen Chun-You Felix Tan lol
Like · Reply · 3 hrs

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Despite the inflation from housing and overall cost of living for the past 20 years, it's shocking that U grad starting salary hasn't improved much. I believe u grad starting pay 20 years ago was already $2000 - $2500 back then. anyone care to confirm?

Singapore is helping businesses create new jobs, placing displaced workers in alternative jobs and training workers to grow in their current jobs by focusing on skills, PM Lee said on May Day. Insight talks to a jobseeker and two workers on their experiences.
After studying for three years at local private university SIM Global Education, Mr Sebastian Tay is graduating with a University of London degree in accounting and finance this month.

The 26-year-old is excited by the prospect of working full time and being financially independent, but he is also "a little worried" about actually landing a job.

"There are seniors (in the university) who have graduated last year but still cannot find (permanent) jobs," he said.

He started looking for jobs in March and has sent out about 40 resumes to companies looking for sales, accounting, human resource and finance staff.

He has gone for three interviews so far, with two human resource companies and a local bank.

One of the HR companies offered him a sales job with a $2,000 basic salary and sales commission, which he has turned down.

Mr Tay is aware that the job market is uncertain: "There is news of retrenchments."

He added: "I hope to give my parents money, but they will understand if I cannot find full-time work."

Ms Bhuvaneshwari Shunmuganathan, a research officer, is a volunteer career guide preparing Mr Sebastian Tay for entry into the job market after he graduates this month. ST PHOTO: FELINE LIM
Last month, a friend introduced him to Todo Todo, a network of volunteer career guides started by the National Trades Union Congress and the People's Association.

The network, whose name is a play on the phrase "to do", is part of a broader move by the labour movement to provide its services to new jobseekers even before they enter the workforce.

Under the programme, Mr Tay got to meet working adults who act as volunteer career guides to young jobseekers in this position.

He said: "One of the career guides got me interested in human resource (as opposed to sales), so I have started applying for human resource jobs."

Ms Bhuvaneshwari Shunmuganathan is one of the 100 volunteer career guides in the programme. The research officer at the Agency for Science, Technology and Research sees her role as preparing new entrants for the job market.

"We talk to them, listen to them and share our personal working experiences with them," said the 32-year-old. "We also reassure them if they are worried about finding jobs in the current market."

Mr Tay said he will do contract or temporary work if he cannot find a full-time job after graduation. "I can drive Uber or Grab," he declared.

"I don't believe I cannot find a full-time job within a year. What is more difficult is to find the right job with good career prospects," he said. "And the right pay."

When asked how low a salary he is prepared to accept if he is still unemployed after one year, he replied, after a pause: "Maybe $2,100 per month, as long as the company offers good long-term prospects."

Toh Yong Chuan

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/manpower/fresh-grad-hopes-to-earn-2500-a-month

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
He can't manage himself in the beginning, then how to manage others in HR. :*:

Give him 1800.

Last edited:

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also I find his career logic incomprehensible. He had offers with proper companies which he deemed beneath his level, but somehow am willing to be a taxi driver if he can't get anything. Wouldn't it make more sense to take up a job in HR or accounting first and gain the necessary network and experience even if the starting pay is below his expectations? How would driving a taxi for a few years help in his long term career in the first place? Sometimes I really don't know how some Singapore grads think...

He only had job offer for a sales job. Usually if he does not meet the quarterly sales target, he is out.