• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The story behind Teo Ser Luck

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was a rising star in the private sector at a young age, from Nike to DHL. Known to be highly energetic, well organised and a people person, big things were expected when he came on board. He also had cover from Teo Chee Hean or people though Teo had his back. Teo SL was also known to put his hands up for everything from party work, PA work, constitutency work plus his fitness regime. He also became an auntie killer as well as young female grassroots fans in tow.

Things began to fall apart when he was appointed Minister of State for MTI after GE 2011. MTI is tier 1 posting after MOF. Politics has little clout in both these areas. PS, DS, and even newly returned scholars found a hollow individual with little or no substance. He was literally marginalised within weeks.

Interestingly Teo Chee Hean never ever let this guy anywhere near his areas of accountability. Eventually his own peers considered him a joke. He became associated for his car, his presence at country clubs and his ironman marathons. And the company he keeps.

The guy to be fair is more suitables to drive outfits with clear targets and the need to build relationships and networks. He would do well in sales. Policy, thought process, logical thinking are not his forte.

By the way he headed YOG organising setup. After that he was not given any distinct project but asked to go over at Mayor. The million dollar question is why PM made him MOS of all things MTI. It was something people are still struggling as by 2008, he capabilities or lack of it was well known.

After 2015, he was moved to MOM and it wasn't long before Lim Swee Say had the same issue. From MTI to MOM and then down again? The writing was on the wall. In essence, any golden boy recruited by a private company found wanting, steps are taken to either move that individual sideways and downwards. Most people facing that situation will normally leave to avoid destroying their CV.

This espisode also reflects badly on PM and his judgement. Its never easy to find the right fit but how he was promoted to MTI knowing full well that Admin Service would have caught him out within 2 meetings. If it was parliamentary or political sec appt, it would not have raised an eyebrow as it is a role to pay an MP wages and contribute at political grassroots level.

Then again Josephine Teo and Desmond Lee appointment to cabinet by the PM says much about the guy and why he made Teo Ser Luck MOS - MTI.

Sadly the cabinet is nowhere close to any of its predecessors.

Finally, no he did not ask to step down, he was told where he was going and then he asked to step down.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
.... Finally, no he did not ask to step down, he was told where he was going and then he asked to step down.

He became a liability to the pappies if he remained ... then bo pian, he lan lan had to go .... otherwise, he would not even want to shift his arse from all the political posts in his name, which came with status, prestige and money ...

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does this also mean that not a parachuted high flyer from Private Sector will do a better job than a traditional scholar? Or its this particular vision that was appointed more for being a PAP stooge than having any real qualities?

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does this also mean that not a parachuted high flyer from Private Sector will do a better job than a traditional scholar? Or its this particular vision that was appointed more for being a PAP stooge than having any real qualities?

Attracting talent for the govt ( and ultimately the PAP because the govt scholars- SAFOS.SPFOS and OMS -are their feeder stocks) will be a continuing problem for them.

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal
As MOS, he could just rely on his Admin Officers to do the job. All he had to do is to pen his dhoby mark on the paper. How can he fail?
Or is Pinky getting rid of all potential threats to Li Hong Yi?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thought he had no aptitude for politics, policy or public service leadership, he was still an asset to get things done at grassroots level hence the mayorship. I am sure they would have kept him if he agreed to lose the MOS or downgraded.

He became a liability to the pappies if he remained ... then bo pian, he lan lan had to go .... otherwise, he would not even want to shift his arse from all the political posts in his name, which came with status, prestige and money ...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is just him and his limitations. I am sure there is a whole pool of talent in the private sector or even the public sector that can easily outperform many of the scholars.

This is what happens when you cut the cookie too early. Look at the old guard and rest of the world. If you come across CVs of foreign top talent, there is no mention of scholarships. Just awards and post previously held. 18 years is just too early to bet on anyone. They made it even worse by deliberately organising camps to pair scholars with super couples looking after each other and other couples. The wives will end up as DS, then CEOs of various low end stat board such a Heritage, arts etc. And these spouses deliberately aim for these soft posting to focus on their familes and kids while collecting the same pay. Look at Patrick Daniel and Heng's wives - both literally got what they wanted for their spouses. We retire scholars early in many cases but not spouses of super couples.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is not a threat to anyone. He is a proven dud in politics and public service. Politicians do make controversial comments, this guy said nothing controversial or otherwise. The fact that the press ignored him tells you that in their regular meetings with PM and other political leaders, they worked out his value.

Since he came to politics in 2006 have you heard a single line of logic or substance uttered by him. All you see a cheerleader for the PAP. Did you see his performance at 2015 PAP rally and this was his 3rd GE - the word embarrassing is an understatement.

Nobody expected him to be promoted to MOS in 2011. Even then he was noted for anything.

As MOS, he could just rely on his Admin Officers to do the job. All he had to do is to pen his dhoby mark on the paper. How can he fail?
Or is Pinky getting rid of all potential threats to Li Hong Yi?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is just him and his limitations. I am sure there is a whole pool of talent in the private sector or even the public sector that can easily outperform many of the scholars.

This is what happens when you cut the cookie too early. Look at the old guard and rest of the world. If you come across CVs of foreign top talent, there is no mention of scholarships. Just awards and post previously held. 18 years is just too early to bet on anyone. They made it even worse by deliberately organising camps to pair scholars with super couples looking after each other and other couples. The wives will end up as DS, then CEOs of various low end stat board such a Heritage, arts etc. And these spouses deliberately aim for these soft posting to focus on their familes and kids while collecting the same pay. Look at Patrick Daniel and Heng's wives - both literally got what they wanted for their spouses. We retire scholars early in many cases but not spouses of super couples.

The one telling thing is the difference between LKY & LHL is the study of human character & the intuition to select the right person for the right job & getting that job done well & stick with that decision.

Though I admit there are many things that LKY did or his arrogance that I strongly dislike..etc..can't help admiring certain things that he did...LHL is a washout!

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't usually change my judgment of individuals . But Heng Swee Kiat should have ended up a vegetable. It seems inevitable that once you go White your heart turns black.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Completely agree. Even GCT was far better. Funny thing is that during his time as Minister, he was well regarded for his planning and execution skills. He did the GST grunt work from start to the end for Richard Hu. He steered the economic recovery effort in the late 80s etc. He writes nonsense in facebook, takes his camera everywhere, cant control his wife, fightng with his siblings.

The one telling thing is the difference between LKY & LHL is the study of human character & the intuition to select the right person for the right job & getting that job done well & stick with that decision.

Though I admit there are many things that LKY did or his arrogance that I strongly dislike..etc..can't help admiring certain things that he did...LHL is a washout!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have seen this guy from his early years. He is not one to toe the line. I was delighted to hear that he downgraded someone who was riding on the coat tails of his father who was ex civil service head and highly influential. Pretty recent. Typically you let these things ride or move the problem but not this guy. It remains to be seen what he does in the near future.

I don't usually change my judgment of individuals . But Heng Swee Kiat should have ended up a vegetable. It seems inevitable that once you go White your heart turns black.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Clean as a whistle, sister is diferent kettle of fish.

Teo Ser Lee. How she made Miss Universe is beyond me. In this shot in Singapore movie she made me wince every time I get a blowjob from a woman. A shark would induce less fear. Please forward to the end at 1: 32: 24.

[video=youtube;mKALEYqpIvE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKALEYqpIvE[/video]

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thought he had no aptitude for politics, policy or public service leadership, he was still an asset to get things done at grassroots level hence the mayorship. I am sure they would have kept him if he agreed to lose the MOS or downgraded.

would love to know your take on CCS, scrooby....I never cease to marvel at this dude.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
would love to know your take on CCS, scrooby....I never cease to marvel at this dude.

Chan like his outranked General comrade is laying low. Don't want to accidentally blow up the bridges leading to the Istana. Same can be said for all the rest of the Cabinet. No one wants to end up looking like a clown by opening their mouths. With the exception of Lee Hsien Loong of course. He can fart through his mouth and it will be considered a political gem by the 154th media.