• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat bit demoralised after seeing stranger bank account balance in atm

jw5

Loyal
I was not kaypoh like frenhbrief. i happened to see the lag screen and not picking up receipts.
the max amount i ever seen in saving account balance (also from the screen) was 800k+ by a auntie.

If you can see the screen details while queuing behind someone at an atm, you are probably too close. :biggrin:

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
That isn't much money. I had far more when I was 30 and that was many years ago.

My CPF funds are my biggest asset now. I have more than a million bucks there managed by financial wizard Mdm Ho Ching.

Boss how cum u ended up so poor now despite years of porlumparing whorejinx n her consort

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
was queuing behind a shortie tomboy think around 30yo , the atm a bit lag , after heshe walked away the screen was showing balance of $90k+ :eek:
though I have > this amount in total savings, of course not in normal saving account, felt a bit uncomfortable.
with heshe age, wonder where the money come from.
Probably a runner collecting debt to transfer within 2 days

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Having 90k when ur 30 year old is not a big deal nowadays,any competent sinkie reasonably frugal, disciplined investor,degree holder should have around 200k to 300k by age 30.

retardface

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having 90k when ur 30 year old is not a big deal nowadays,any competent sinkie reasonably frugal, disciplined investor,degree holder should have around 200k to 300k by age 30.

Complete NS at 21, then Uni until 24 still can accumulate 200k to 300k by age 30? Real or not for normal people or you just talking about the elites.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Complete NS at 21, then Uni until 24 still can accumulate 200k to 300k by age 30? Real or not for normal people or you just talking about the elites.

I know one blogger just hit 500k milestone this year and he's 32,don't think he comes from any special background just a NTU grad.200 to 300k is nothing really, anyone can do it.the big question is can u hit 2 to 3 million networth by 40.so far I only know of one sinkie investor whose done it.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know one blogger just hit 500k milestone this year and he's 32,don't think he comes from any special background just a NTU grad.200 to 300k is nothing really, anyone can do it.the big question is can u hit 2 to 3 million networth by 40.so far I only know of one sinkie investor whose done it.

Which blogger ?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Which blogger ?

Thursday, March 23, 2017
$500K - Second Milestone Target Reached
This is an important milestone for me to journal so I could look back in the few years to come to see where I am today. It's importance means so much to me that I think it deserves an article of its own.

The last time I hit my first milestone of $250k (Link Here) was back in April 2014, where coincidentally I had my first son born on the exact same day. So many things have happened since then with my first parenting experience, the graduation of my MBA, the promotion of a new career role, and the recent birth of my second son. During the period, we also traveled to various other countries as a family and visited places like Hua Hin, Hongkong and Krabi.

That's life for the past 3 years for me.

I've experienced happiness and accumulated experience.

How It All Started

I've actually started off quite wasteful when I was young.

After graduation, I maintained my interests in chasing the latest fashion and gadgets and did not quite know what to do with the income I earned from my job.

I signed up for an ILP product from Manulife and bought a WL policy which I have since terminated both, with the latter very recently.

One day, I decided that things would have to change and so I decided to go into investing after reading a couple of blogs from bloggers which still existed today.

I had a huge project when I started investing some 7 years ago at this point.

The goal was to eventually reached a stage of financial independence, where in my definition that means a passive income of 1.5x of the expenses incurred. There are people with their various own definition of what financial independence stage means so they differ one to another.

1st Milestone - $250k

If I were to attribute a theme for the first stage of the milestone, it would be Growth.

At the back end of my head, I knew that I had to focus on something which could propels me to a head start in having a larger base. I decided that having a successful career growth in the first few years of my life was going to be extremely important and so I worked hard towards it. I went for it a lot more aggressive than I would for my investment which was considered minuscule back then.

It also helps that I took advantage a lot during the 2011 Euro Crisis situation by putting most of my money in and it gave me a huge return when the market rebounded back.

Soon, I realized that investing wasn't easy and I continued to learn from the mistakes and apply the context in future. Thankfully, there wasn't any fatal mistakes which dragged down my capital base.

2nd Milestone - $500k

The theme for the second stage of the milestone has to be Accumulation.

It took me 3 years to get from the first to the second milestone.

Both my career and investment seeds which I have planted in the earlier years have reaped fruits and are paying a nice dividend. I played my trump card fairly decent and it has given me a huge advantage in this continuous journey I will have.

The market has not seen a huge dip since we last seen in 2008 and 2011 and I cannot say that I've done well without being mentally tested in the bear scenarios.

I think I had somewhat positioned for luck pretty well in the past few years and I have some huge gains which I have realized in the market which helps the portfolio to continue growing.

Over the last year, I have also cautioned and prepared myself for the upcoming huge expenses I have had to incur for the family. I think the calculation went pretty accurate and it helps that I don't get surprises along the way.

$500K - Investment Breakdown

There were some readers who asked me of the breakdown in detail so I tried to see how I can do that.

Out of the $500k in the portfolio, the capital cost came up to $312k while capital gains and dividends totaled up to $188k.

It is important to me that I do not make huge losses in the market because that capital base of $312k could swing the other way if I were wrong in the market. For instance, if my returns were negative 5% over the past 7 years, it would erode my portfolio to $296k instead. That would have been hugely detrimental.

I don't track my performance closely like a hawk but I do monitor them from time to time.

For me, as long as the value of the portfolio keeps growing, it feels like I'm doing something decent and right. I understand that advantage of tracking one performance to a benchmark but at least to me investing does seem like a hobby right now, more than just a "job" to make more money. Maybe it will change someday.

What's Next? - 3rd Milestone

I'm going to take baby steps at a time and not rushing in to hit my goal.

The next milestone stop for me would be to reach the goal of $750k and if history in the market could help, I am targeting to achieve them in the next 3 to 4 years hopefully. With the higher expenses, I might suspect the higher range of the 4 years but it doesn't matter too much to me at this point.

I think I've grown way more than simply hitting some financial goals that I have.

Equally important to me would be to accumulate more life experience and I am actually more excited to see my 2 boys finally going to grow up in the next 3 to 4 years, which would allow the entire family to try something really out of this world. I think that's what we are going to go out for and that's why we are going for financial independence.

I do hope in the next 4 years I could be on the way writing my 3rd milestone experience and looking back at the past 4 years of life experience where it could be another massive journey.

Thanks for reading.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
90K could be proceeds from downgrade of HDB flat. And on that it won't go far in this day and age. More than 10 years ago I went to withdraw cash from a UOB ATM and a receipt was hanging out of the slot. Out of curiosity I pulled it out and saw a balance of more than 650K. 4D payout most likely.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thursday, March 23, 2017
$500K - Second Milestone Target Reached
This is an important milestone for me to journal so I could look back in the few years to come to see where I am today. It's importance means so much to me that I think it deserves an article of its own.

The last time I hit my first milestone of $250k (Link Here) was back in April 2014, where coincidentally I had my first son born on the exact same day. So many things have happened since then with my first parenting experience, the graduation of my MBA, the promotion of a new career role, and the recent birth of my second son. During the period, we also traveled to various other countries as a family and visited places like Hua Hin, Hongkong and Krabi.

That's life for the past 3 years for me.

I've experienced happiness and accumulated experience.

How It All Started

I've actually started off quite wasteful when I was young.

After graduation, I maintained my interests in chasing the latest fashion and gadgets and did not quite know what to do with the income I earned from my job.

I signed up for an ILP product from Manulife and bought a WL policy which I have since terminated both, with the latter very recently.

One day, I decided that things would have to change and so I decided to go into investing after reading a couple of blogs from bloggers which still existed today.

I had a huge project when I started investing some 7 years ago at this point.

The goal was to eventually reached a stage of financial independence, where in my definition that means a passive income of 1.5x of the expenses incurred. There are people with their various own definition of what financial independence stage means so they differ one to another.

1st Milestone - $250k

If I were to attribute a theme for the first stage of the milestone, it would be Growth.

At the back end of my head, I knew that I had to focus on something which could propels me to a head start in having a larger base. I decided that having a successful career growth in the first few years of my life was going to be extremely important and so I worked hard towards it. I went for it a lot more aggressive than I would for my investment which was considered minuscule back then.

It also helps that I took advantage a lot during the 2011 Euro Crisis situation by putting most of my money in and it gave me a huge return when the market rebounded back.

Soon, I realized that investing wasn't easy and I continued to learn from the mistakes and apply the context in future. Thankfully, there wasn't any fatal mistakes which dragged down my capital base.

2nd Milestone - $500k

The theme for the second stage of the milestone has to be Accumulation.

It took me 3 years to get from the first to the second milestone.

Both my career and investment seeds which I have planted in the earlier years have reaped fruits and are paying a nice dividend. I played my trump card fairly decent and it has given me a huge advantage in this continuous journey I will have.

The market has not seen a huge dip since we last seen in 2008 and 2011 and I cannot say that I've done well without being mentally tested in the bear scenarios.

I think I had somewhat positioned for luck pretty well in the past few years and I have some huge gains which I have realized in the market which helps the portfolio to continue growing.

Over the last year, I have also cautioned and prepared myself for the upcoming huge expenses I have had to incur for the family. I think the calculation went pretty accurate and it helps that I don't get surprises along the way.

$500K - Investment Breakdown

There were some readers who asked me of the breakdown in detail so I tried to see how I can do that.

Out of the $500k in the portfolio, the capital cost came up to $312k while capital gains and dividends totaled up to $188k.

It is important to me that I do not make huge losses in the market because that capital base of $312k could swing the other way if I were wrong in the market. For instance, if my returns were negative 5% over the past 7 years, it would erode my portfolio to $296k instead. That would have been hugely detrimental.

I don't track my performance closely like a hawk but I do monitor them from time to time.

For me, as long as the value of the portfolio keeps growing, it feels like I'm doing something decent and right. I understand that advantage of tracking one performance to a benchmark but at least to me investing does seem like a hobby right now, more than just a "job" to make more money. Maybe it will change someday.

What's Next? - 3rd Milestone

I'm going to take baby steps at a time and not rushing in to hit my goal.

The next milestone stop for me would be to reach the goal of $750k and if history in the market could help, I am targeting to achieve them in the next 3 to 4 years hopefully. With the higher expenses, I might suspect the higher range of the 4 years but it doesn't matter too much to me at this point.

I think I've grown way more than simply hitting some financial goals that I have.

Equally important to me would be to accumulate more life experience and I am actually more excited to see my 2 boys finally going to grow up in the next 3 to 4 years, which would allow the entire family to try something really out of this world. I think that's what we are going to go out for and that's why we are going for financial independence.

I do hope in the next 4 years I could be on the way writing my 3rd milestone experience and looking back at the past 4 years of life experience where it could be another massive journey.

Thanks for reading.

ohh, the person you talking sound like B. yes, he is great in investing.

once you hit 250k, then 500k is not hard, soon you will hit 1million.
when u got one million, then how?

if u got 1 million cash, then how?

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
me and my husband save about 450k in bank now, waiting to buy kidney and invest.

ok, who want to sell kidney? can pm me.