• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Will we meet again?

flatearther

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sold by weight in many Asian Delicacies Stalls :wink:
:eek: I wonder what motivates such people to eat:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat
which seems to be eaten by non-Asians in other continents too! :*:

Anyway, about two weeks ago:
edition.cnn.com/2017/04/12/asia/taiwan-bans-eating-dog-and-cat-meat
(By Serenitie Wang, CNN; Updated 2126 GMT (0526 HKT) April 12, 2017)

Beijing (CNN) - Taiwan has outlawed the consumption of dog and cat meat, as the island's legislature on Tuesday passed a landmark amendment to its animal protection laws, according to island's official Central News Agency (focustaiwan.tw/news/afav/201704110009.aspx).

"Taiwan's progressive ban is part of a growing trend across Asia to end the brutal dog meat trade," said Wendy Higgins with Humane Society International.

"Previously, the Animal Protection Act only covered the slaughter and sale of dog and cat meat, but this amendment specifically prohibiting the actual consumption of dog meat today is welcome," said Jill Robinson, founder and CEO of Animals Asia Foundation.

Individuals who eat or trade dog or cat meat can now be fined between $1,640 and $8,200.

The amendment also bans "walking" the pet on a leash pulled by cars and motorcycles and raises the penalty for cruelty to animals.

Taiwan has doubled the maximum prison term for animal cruelty to two years and raised the fine up to $65,500 for any act that deliberately harms animals and results in mangled limbs, organ failure or death.

Violators may also see their names, photos and crimes publicized, according to Taiwan's Central News Agency.

Taiwan's president, Tsai Ing-wen, was seen frequently posing with her two cats on the campaign trail. She also adopted three retired guide dogs last year.

Animal lovers pushed for the amendment after a string of shocking animal abuse cases.

Last year, a video showing a group of military personnel beating up a dog, strangling it and tossing the body into the ocean sparked public protests. Taiwan's minister of defense apologized to the public over the incident.

Dog meat is consumed in many parts of Asia including China, the Philippines, Korea and Indonesia, according to Humane Society International.

Higgins said Taiwan's new law also sends "a strong signal" to China and South Korea where the dog meat trade remains and millions of dogs are brutally killed.

China has long been criticized for its annual dog meat festival in Yulin, southern China, where 10,000 dogs are slaughtered and served as meals. (edition.cnn.com/2015/06/22/asia/china-dog-meat-festival)

However, Robinson said there's growing opposition in China to the consumption of dog meat. A 2015 survey by Animals Asia showed nearly half of the 3,221 people it asked believed that killing dogs or cats for consumption should be illegal.

"The public too are becoming increasingly sympathetic with the plight of dogs, recognizing the criminality behind the industry, the enormous benefits that dogs bring to society and the comfort they give to the families they belong to," she said.

According to the English-language China Daily newspaper, there were more than 100 million registered pets in China in 2015. Dogs and cats make up the majority.

Last edited:

Peanuts

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am trying to get over the loss of Rascal. I decided to take the day off today, pondering what Leongsam said - get another companion and go through the same cycle of happiness to sadness all over again. I have not made up my mind and I don't want to have a "rebound" case (if you know what I mean). It's interesting to read Narong Wongwan post. He made a "no more pet dog" choice many years ago, stuck to it and hasn't had to suffer any such painful ordeal again. I am also happy that he is inculcating his children to love animals by volunteering at SPCA. Further, reading Joe's experiences with Fluffy, Aiko (both sharing a common date of birth and death) and his new addition, Yumi indeed lightened my soul this morning. Watching nirvarq's video, "A Dogs Purpose" was uplifting too. Thanks guys for your kind words of advice and shared experiences. Very much appreciated :smile:

I met a friend for lunch yesterday. I knew her when I was 17, in college. She still looks good, though I felt something was wrong, as she booked our lunch appointment in an organic food restaurant in Lavender. Well, she revealed to me she had Stage 4 cancer during our organic lunch (which, to be honest, I was having trouble swallowing lunch, as I am not used to the bland taste or maybe the lunch was simply too "organic" for me).

Apparently, I am told that the restaurant is popular with cancer sufferers and survivors. Funny thing is when I took a glance around after finding that out, I somewhat imagine all those customers are indeed cancer patients. Our mind is indeed a powerful force of imagination (though I am sure that there are lots of people who make it a habit to eat organic food and are healthy).

Throughout lunch, my friend detailed her account on how she discovered her cancer at Stage 2, her treatment, and how it metastaised into Stage 4. Nonetheless, she remained cheerful and happy throughout, with no sign of fear, sorrow or resignation.

We all know that cancer has 4 stages : Stage 1 "in situ" (cancer cells still in place); Stage 2 (localised spread); Stage 3 (regional spread) and finally Stage 4 (distant spread). This divison of Stages, though not a precise demarcation, is based on TNM (Tumour, Lymph Nodes, Metastasis classification). If one hits Stage 4, survivor chances are slim and one should just accept it, gracefully opt for palliative care or by whatever name you wish to call it, be it supportive care, comfort care or pain management care.

Nope, not for her. She is a fervent Christian and she believes by the grace of the Lord, there will be a miracle, or if there isn't, it is God's wish and will that she depart.

Thankfully for her insurance coverage, she has gone from chemotherapy to immunotherapy treatment (similar to the one which we recently read in the news, seen on YouTube, etc on raising funds).

Her faith is unquestionably strong. Her desire to be miraculously cured by is absolute. I wish her all the best.

I was just reading an article on Placebo effect and how cancer is fought with ones mind. (https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/using-mind-fight-cancer/).

In essence, our human mind has a powerful influence over our physical body, so patients with high expectations of getting better, release biological chemicals to simulate the effect, and sometimes result in miraculous cure of terminal illness. With no offence to those believers in God and to my ex college friend, I think the placebo effect analysis fits perfectly well into what she is doing, ie., fervently believing in her mind that a "God" will cure her, may just tip the scale for her. I have also previously read and watched a video of a Taiwanese chap who uses his mind to achieve such results while undergoing medical treatment for cancer.

Anyway, for me, I don't think I will ever have the will power or endurance to continue if I am in my friend's shoes. I will just accept it and move on.

Perhaps, I hope and believe, I should be able to see Rascal again.

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
dear peanut,

sad thing about your friend but she has the right attitude and i think the only attitude if it happens to somebody,
let me relate to you my own experience with the fruit soursop
at one stage in my life i thought i had cancer because i was getting giddy and fainted with no apparent reason, i was hospitalised for 2 weeks and the doctors checked everything and found that it was low blood pressure that makes me giddy, i am in my 50s and in a stressful job, stress is a silent killer,

anyway back to the soursop, weeks before i was hospitalised i suspect that i had cancer and ate lots of soursop
my dog had a mid size tumour growing out of his chest for about few months already (maybe 2 inch across and quite thick maybe 1/4 inch)
when i was eating the soursop in the kitchen, naturally he will come and beg for me to give him some….

can you believe it? his tumour completely disappeared after a few weeks of eating it every other day,
so maybe your friend might want to try soursop, she got nothing to lose i feel

flatearther

Alfrescian
Loyal
Watching nirvarq's video, "A Dogs Purpose" was uplifting too.
Then I'm guessing you, or you will, probably like:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachi: A Dog's Tale
a remake of the 1987 Japanese film:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachiko_Monogatari
based on a tragic, true story about:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachikō

[video=youtube;g3zbMlmxt6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3zbMlmxt6o[/video]

[video=youtube;mBLIOGeL87g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBLIOGeL87g[/video]

Perhaps, I hope and believe, I should be able to see Rascal again.
To meet God or to meet a dog? :confused:
That is the question. :wink:

Attachments

• 802254_01.jpg
    802254_01.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 405
  • Hachikô_monogatari.jpg
    Hachikô_monogatari.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Hachiko.JPG
    Hachiko.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I am trying to get over the loss of Rascal. I decided to take the day off today, pondering what Leongsam said - get another companion and go through the same cycle of happiness to sadness all over again.

You need to allow for a period of grieving. Now is not the time to get another dog. Wait six months to a year.

Each dog you own during your lifetime ensures that there will be one less dog that could possibly be ill treated by someone else.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've been through this process many times. Every single time I swore it would be the last time I ever owned a dog. The loss was just so painful.

Six months later a brand new bundle of joy would become part of my life for more than a decade and the process would repeat itself.

If it is true that all dogs go to heaven I'm afraid I won't ever see any of them again because that is definitely NOT where I am going.

Let the Creator be the judge.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heaven is a place on earth. Just ask any sinkie. :smile:

Heaven on earth, you must ask all the FT's here in Stinkerpore....it is heave for them , to steal local jobs....I forgot...government FT create jobs for locals....but anyway...this place is heaven on earth for them....earn in SGD convert to Dongs, RM, INR, PHP, MMK or Kyat...

Can make enough, to buy land, build luxury homes, etc...

desmondquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
The question is, what if it's true that every human being is indeed made up of body and soul? :wink:

The soul is not an inseperable unity as you imply. Willing and knowing (brain function) constitutes a soul. When the body dies (along with brain), something imperishable still remains - your desires in general. At some point down the road, this imperishable element gets a new brain and takes on life as a new individual in a womb (hopefully not an animal's). That's why you don't remember past lives, must be quite painful if it happens. Nirrvana essentially is burning off this imperishable kernel of desires which makes up our ground being - in a sense we throw off not only the world as mental construct which is merely immanent, but also the very substratum of the world. What remains (Nirvana) is inacessible to us, but from accounts they stay in a perpetual state of ecstasy, as though lifted out of this heavy atmosphere of samsara into the pure regions above.

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
for me it was from the 50s

1. yeller ( as in old yeller )
2. lassie
3. kiki
4. bruce
5. buster
6. caesar

7. jewel and bruno
8. king and bobby
9. tango

60 years of dogs....yup when they left us it was painful.

These days its just 2 stray cats that adopted us.

jw5

Loyal

1. yeller ( as in old yeller )
2. lassie
3. kiki
4. bruce
5. buster
6. caesar

7. jewel and bruno
8. king and bobby
9. tango

What about scooby doo and mumbly? :confused:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

Back in the good old days, my 2 precious were strays, took them in when they were scrawny and all dirty. One called puteh, the other hitam... hitam got poisoned by some unknown fellas perhaps from neighbouring kampung, while puteh died a ripe old age of about 14. Then a good stretch without dogs as it was too painful until my new precious came along :smile::smile::smile:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yes they are family.

Back in the good old days, my 2 precious were strays, took them in when they were scrawny and all dirty. One called puteh, the other hitam... hitam got poisoned by some unknown fellas perhaps from neighbouring kampung, while puteh died a ripe old age of about 14. Then a good stretch without dogs as it was too painful until my new precious came along :smile::smile::smile:

Peanuts

Alfrescian
Loyal
You need to allow for a period of grieving. Now is not the time to get another dog. Wait six months to a year.

Each dog you own during your lifetime ensures that there will be one less dog that could possibly be ill treated by someone else.

It’s nice to see the soft side of you unlike your usual churlish and indecorous self. Thanks for your advice. I really like what you say above about one less dog being ill treated...

i read somewhere that soursop as a cancer tumour killer is 10,000 times more lethal than chemotherapy

Thanks majongking.There’s already a lot of literature on this. I am sure this Forum has its fair share of posts on this fruit as well.

Thanks erection2015. 60 years and 11 dogs later, my question to you is : Is it worth it? I am sure your answer will be affirmative.

Nice to hear of another dog lover, whatever breed, strays, or otherwise. I am actually quite surprised that there are lots of dog owners and lovers here. It’s really heartening. Puteh and Hitam are probably looking down from above and missing you. 

flatearther

Alfrescian
Loyal
Willing and knowing (brain function) constitutes a soul.
Contrary to popular belief, the human brain (and its functions) is not the same as the human soul or even a part of the soul. :wink:
The human brain is only one physical part of the entire human body (from head to toe). :wink:

When the body dies (along with brain), something imperishable still remains - your desires in general.
No, that is simply the soul of a human being. :wink:
Basically, the soul is the life of the body, so as long as a human soul remains attached to its human body, that human body would remain alive, even if the brain is dead; it's like electricity enabling machines to work or at least remain turned on (or "alive"). :wink:
And even if a human body is in good health, it can still unexpectedly die (while sleeping, for example), simply because that human's soul can still leave the body (if it's God's will, of course), even though it seldom happens. :wink:

There is also another related thing, i.e. the human spirit, which is the spiritual invisible action of the human soul, exercising the soul's:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will
and once again, as long as a human soul remains attached to its human body, its human spirit can (whenever it chooses to) stimulate its human brain to work, i.e. to think and to control its body to say and/or do certain things. :wink:

What remains (Nirvana) is inacessible to us, but from accounts they stay in a perpetual state of ecstasy, as though lifted out of this heavy atmosphere of samsara into the pure regions above.
Well, I'm afraid I absolutely disagree, because both:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsara_(Buddhism)
wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_(Buddhism)
are not only fantasies, they are also nonsensical, simply because of the key doctrine of:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatta
("the doctrine of "non-self", that there is no unchanging, permanent soul in living beings.")

Therefore, how can a human being (or his/her soul) "stay in a perpetual state of ecstasy" during "Nirvana", if even his/her soul no longer exists? :confused: :*:
At least the Christian doctrine of enjoying Heaven after the death of one's human body makes sense, simply because the human soul still continues existing, in order to enjoy that Heavenly life after death, right? :wink:

okay, I think I'd better not go into further detail (let alone quote scripture), since detailed religious (especially Christian) posts/threads are not allowed in this sub-forum. :o

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What if I die before my dog
if dat happens, u shud b happy n rest assured dat there wil b 1 dog less datz ill-treated by iz owner ...

p-t dat noon time dawg, so kena ill-treated by iz owner ... lock up by iz owner evryday ... oni once in a bleu moon can cum out 2 play ...

Last edited: