• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Breaking down the HDB scam known as Lease BuyBack Scheme (LBS) Part 1

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
PAPsmearer has raised many interesting points and explained the legal issues.

However the reality is that 80% of sillipore have no choice (like in not enough money) but to buy HDB and retire in one.

Even if you can afford an EC , the next level, the price is 3 times more (eg 5 rm HDB $400k, EC 5 rm $1.2m)-so is it worth to pay 3 times more for essentially the same type of property (99 years lease) in around same location except that in EC you have condo facilities and pay 3 x the conservancy ($70 vs around $200 ++). The value of EC becoming private after 11 years is the subject of a separate argument.So I won't waste time talking about condos(leasehold/freehold) or landed .In fact I suspect most of these HDB dwellers do not even understand what document they have signed when they paid for them and the smarter ones hope to upgrade to condos/migrate ect2 when the chicken comes to roost.

End of day 80% have no choice but to buy HDB and accept whatever the HDB (or rather PAP ) decides -unless the political situation change.
Its good to highlight the potholes/weaknesses in the ministers argument (WP sleeping?)-but unless the political equation changes, it will alas be in vain.

Yes, you are right, 80% sinkie have no choice. The issue I have is that these 80% don't even know what they are buying. Its one thing to be forced to buy HDB flats, its another thing not to educate yourself as to what you are buying. Now there is shock and dismay when they start to find out that older units cannot be resold to people who need to use CPF to buy, or that they cannot en bloc their flats or that the HDB will take the flats back at the end of the lease, etc.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
best is pap pass a new land law and convert all land to 99 years. fair to everyone.

Who fuck care about the PAP. I am waiting for the oppo party that will state that all HDB flats will be converted to freehold if they are elected.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It hasn't happened yet. But I bet many investors in 99 year leasehold private condos will also have the same "shock" when it gets closer to lease running out.

As you said Papsmearer even you don't look so far ahead as by the time 99 years you are long gone.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
It hasn't happened yet. But I bet many investors in 99 year leasehold private condos will also have the same "shock" when it gets closer to lease running out.

As you said Papsmearer even you don't look so far ahead as by the time 99 years you are long gone.

Not really. People who bought 99 year leasehold condos know that they have to vacate the premises in 99 years. People who "bought" 99 year HDB flats were told they were home owners and own their flats by PAP politicians. These are the ones that are in shock now when they find out they are actually renters.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who fuck care about the PAP. I am waiting for the oppo party that will state that all HDB flats will be converted to freehold if they are elected.

Hopefully, that will send the PAP packing, and the opposition parties into the Parliament.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really. People who bought 99 year leasehold condos know that they have to vacate the premises in 99 years. People who "bought" 99 year HDB flats were told they were home owners and own their flats by PAP politicians. These are the ones that are in shock now when they find out they are actually renters.

So the difference is not day and night. QED