• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Grandma in JB saved lives during WW2 because she could speak Japanese

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Grandma in JB saved countless lives during World War II because she could speak Japanese

Vivienne Wong

Friday, Apr 7, 2017

20170407_star_jbgrandma.jpg

Photo: The Star/ANN

AT the age of 15, girls were pretending to be boys during the Japanese Occupation in Malaya, but Yap Chwee Lan was bravely rescuing the people of Kampung Baru, Johor, all because she could speak Japanese.

"Every night, about seven or eight young girls from the neighbourhood would come to my house to sleep because they felt safer there. They knew I could speak Japanese," recalled Yap, now 90.

"The Japanese soldiers would come knocking on our door to ask for young girls and I'd respond in Japanese, 'Why do you need women? You need housekeepers?'. They were shocked I could speak Japanese."

Yap learnt the language from her former Japanese employer, who was a hairdresser in Johor. The then 13-year-old picked up the language quickly, and was even treated well by his family.

Yap's fluency in their language granted her favour in the eyes of the Japanese, and this ordinary girl found herself holding extraordinary power - the ability to save people.

She managed to save those who lived in her town, Kampung Baru, Johor, by identifying them - in Japanese - to the soldiers who would have killed them on suspicion of aiding the resistance.

And we were there to capture her experiences as the R.AGE crew brought her around Johor to film at locations that hold significant memories during the Occupation. This is for The Last Survivors, an interactive online documentary project that aims to raise awareness to youths about the importance of preserving Malaysian World War II stories.

Listening to her stories when he was growing up, one of Yap's grandsons, Sebastian Chew, 18, is glad he didn't have to experience WWII and the Occupation as he thinks it will haunt him throughout his life.

"I can't imagine going through everything - from the bombings, hiding, living in fear and when the Japanese made the people dig their own graves in one of the fields and killed them. I don't know how my grandma did it," he said.

"That's why I think it's important for young people to know about these war stories so they can prevent anything of this sort from happening in the future. It's cruel and heartbreaking."

In her teenage years, Yap, whose father passed away when she was seven years old, had to work because her family was living in poverty.

She got married when she was 15, and lived with her husband Chiew Seng Leung at his laundry shop, Kedai Dobi Shanghai, in Johor Baru. Twenty days after their wedding, the Japanese started bombing Singapore.

Japanese fighter planes, based in Johor, would fly across to Singapore twice a day to bomb the neighbouring country. As the Japanese was attacking Singapore, lots of people walked over to Johor for safety. Yap and her family evacuated to Tampoi.

"We packed food and clothes, and placed them on my husband's bicycle. As we were walking to Tampoi, we were stopped by a soldier because he wanted our bicycle. I told him in Japanese that it was ours and he let us through," said Yap.

Once they were in Tampoi, they sought refuge in a temple along with about 50 other refugees, but soldiers came looking for comfort women. Yap not only told them there were none, but also said she was part Japanese, hoping they wouldn't come back.

But the next day, the Japanese returned. This time, they were with their general.

"He was impressed that I could speak Japanese and praised me, saying it was good because I could help the Japanese soldiers," she said. He proceeded to ask Yap if they had enough food and made sure they did by sending them rice, sugar and flour so they could cook.

2733_1491535220.jpg
Photo: The Star

He also offered her a job in Singapore as a liaison officer between the Japanese and the locals. She took the job after the island was invaded, but later learned that the Singaporeans she had liaised with were all eventually killed.

The distance was too much for Yap to handle as well, as she didn't know if her family was well and alive. She returned to Johor one week later, and things were unfortunately similar to what was happening in Singapore.

Chiew's boss had been arrested, along with a bunch of other people.

"There were black flags all along the streets," Yap recalled. "It meant everybody was to stay home, because the Japanese would arrest anyone on sight."

Those who were arrested were taken to a house in Jalan Abdul Samad, behind what is now the Maktab Sultan Abu Bakar, to be held before being taken to Dataran Bandaraya, where they would be executed.

"When I got to the house, the people were kneeling on the ground, their hands tied behind their backs with thick wire as the Japanese soldiers pointed bayonets at them," said Yap.

"I said, 'Yes, I do'. A lot of them lived in my neighbourhood. When I identified them, they were freed."

The rest, whom she couldn't identify, weren't so lucky. Her mother's friend's son was one of the unlucky ones.

"I didn't see him there, I was devastated when I found out. His mother was crying in the street," said Yap, recalling the horrors of wartime Malaya.

Those remained were brought to the field. They were asked to dig holes in the ground, sit at the edge of the holes and were shot with machine guns.

As the bodies fell in, those who were merely injured were kicked into those holes they had dug themselves and buried alive together with the dead.

While a great number of people died during the Occupation, many more owe their lives to Yap.

Her family, though, remained safe, thanks to Yap.

"Before I went to Singapore, the Japanese general gave me a permit for my family," she said. "He told me, 'If anybody disturbs your family, ask them to report to one of my officers'."

Today, Yap and her family still live in Johor, where some of the survivors' descendants still recognise her.

"I was walking around town and suddenly someone called out, 'Ah Ma!'. They told their kids that I saved their grandfather or grandmother," Yap said with a laugh.

AhNehs

Alfrescian
Loyal
who can verify such stories, it's her words only and even if she lies or exaggerates her bravery and stories, no one can challenge her. she could very well be a jap informer and changes her story after the war.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
who can verify such stories, it's her words only and even if she lies or exaggerates her bravery and stories, no one can challenge her. she could very well be a jap informer and changes her story after the war.

The late old fart & that dark slob of a!...were TRANSLATORS also...while some of us, have our ancestors killed by the JAPANESE during WWII.....

The old lady...must be damn ugly that the horny Japs don't want her...

AhNehs

Alfrescian
Loyal
The late old fart & that dark slob of a!...were TRANSLATORS also...while some of us, have our ancestors killed by the JAPANESE during WWII.....

The old lady...must be damn ugly that the horny Japs don't want her...

i m not saying she's bad, all i m saying is, its just her words, repeated many times and became the gospel truth over time. that's how mainstream media works too. just repeating and over the years, it becomes truth.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Good point.

Some people have worked as japanese translators & we only know about their exploits from their biographies. However when these people use their position to amass a fortune at the expense of the "lesser mortals", there are questions about their credibility :wink:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i m not saying she's bad, all i m saying is, its just her words, repeated many times and became the gospel truth over time. that's how mainstream media works too. just repeating and over the years, it becomes truth.

It had 70 over years..."dead men, tell no tales"....you are right on the verification...

AhNehs

Alfrescian
Loyal
It had 70 over years..."dead men, tell no tales"....you are right on the verification...

and I am pretty sure that religions, be it jesus story or mohammed or buddha or whatever gods or goddess develop their storylines in the same way by repetitive indoctrination from young to old, until and unless science can "unproof" it...

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY and Prata so stupid never spin this type of ww2 tale. they could even corroborate each other story. like they worked together as secret resistance fighters. they even tried to rescue Lim Bo Seng from prison. of course nobody knew about it except them.....

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come this translator didn't have the same kind of corrup ... comfortable life unlike our translators here??

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://betweenourmemories.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/singapores-schindler-shinozaki-mamoru/

shinozaki_mamoru1.jpg

Even before they landed on Singaporean shores, the Japanese had planned out a near-genocidal operation to exterminate ‘undesirable’ Chinese in Singapore. Japanese-Chinese animosity was at its peak, because the Japanese then controlled much of China. From 1942 to 1945, thousands of young Chinese men were rounded up and brought to kempeitai screening centres at the YMCA Building in Stamford Road and the Central Police Station in the Chinatown district. The lift of a finger from masked kempeitai informants could mean the difference between life and death for many of the Chinese youths picked out at random by the Japanese military. A few were triad members, anti-Japanese agitators or Communists. Most were clueless young men, who might have been tortured and bayoneted simply for not grovelling properly to a passing Japanese officer.

Shinozaki had been jailed by the British for spying before the Occupation, but was released by the Japanese and hailed a hero. As Advisor to the Defence Headquarters, he would have witnessed kempeitai torturers at work. Infamously, they would force a prisoner to drink water from a high-pressure hose before kicking his stomach with their leather boots. Such cruel tortures were too much for him to bear. As Advisor, he issued thousands of ‘good citizen’ and safe-passage passes to Chinese, Eurasians and foreigners alike. These were only supposed to be issued to Japanese collaborators and foreign diplomats, but Shinozaki issued almost 30000 of them. By his own estimation, around 2000 Chinese were saved from Japanese concentration camps alone. He also helped the starving by ensuring that a charity home run by the Catholic Little Sisters of the Poor had a steady supply of food.

Shinozaki also rescued many prominent members of the Chinese community – who had served as philanthropists and community leaders. Among them was Dr. Lim Boon Keng – the founder of the Overseas Chinese Banking Corporation (OCBC). These leaders then formed an Overseas Chinese Association (OCA) at Shinozaki’s suggestion. Admittedly, there is a dark side to this. The OCA was later forced to make a $50 million ‘donation’ to the Japanese government. When it was unable to meet this amount, it was forced to borrow from Japanese banks. However, historical evidence suggests that this happened only after Shinozaki was removed as OCA Advisor, having made enemies after his pro-Chinese activities. The OCA was placed under military control and Shinozaki fled to Japan to avoid a court martial.

Two months later in 1942, Shinozaki returned as Chief Welfare Officer with the OCA, now under civillian control once more. He next helped re-settle over 12000 Chinese and 3000 Eurasians in Endau and Bahau respectively. These farming settlements in Malaysia were supposed to enable them to grow their own food and avoid starvation. Malnutrition and disease were by then rampant in Singapore because the Japanese Army had taken control of most food supplies. Shinozaki served as the only liason between the villagers and the Japanese government.

Unfortunately, life in the settlements was hard. Many Singaporeans including Catholic Bishop Adrien Devals died of malaria and tetanus. Nonetheless, Shinozaki played a key role in making life better for the settlers. To stop raids on Bahau and Endau by the Communist Malayan People’s Anti-Japanese Army (MPAJA) guerillas, he bribed them with bags of rice. For this treasonous action he would likely have been court-martialed and executed.

After the Japanese surrender in 1945, Shinozaki was captured and imprisoned along with over 6800 Japanese. However, the Chinese and Catholic communities petitioned for his release. He was in fact set free and later worked translating kempetai reports on MPAJA guerillas for British intelligence.

More significantly, he was a prosecution witness during war crimes trials in Singapore. In this role, he also helped prevent the conviction of community leaders such as Charles Paglar. Paglar was accused of treason for serving as president of the Japanese-controlled Eurasian Welfare Association and publicly supporting the emperor. This was even though he had provided free medical services to members of his community and risked his life carrying medicine to the Endau settlement through guerilla-controlled territory.

Admittedly, much of our knowledge of Shinozaki’s actions comes from his memoir – Syonan: My Story. However, his heroic deeds have also been corroborated by Yap Pheng Geck, a Captain in the Chinese Volunteer Corps. The memoirs of John van Cuylenberg, a Eurasian doctor, also corroborate his account. Add to this the fact that Chinese and Catholic leaders specifically asked the British for his release, and we can be fairly sure that history has recorded his heroism correctly.

History may have recorded Shinozaki’s actions correctly, but it has largely forgotten him. No where is he to be found in the Social Studies and History textbooks of our schools, and he remains very much a figure known only to scholars and professors. That is a pity, for we should never forget that the human spirit always blurs simple lines of conqueror and conquered, oppressor and oppressed.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

maybe its like schindler's list when he has the list of all the jews he saved typed up and filed somewhere as "employees",and the human testimonies and accounts the researchers found that verified her stories,and then there was the tv show where they secretly invited him and all the "schindler's jews" and their descendents and children in the audience stood up and applauded him.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If she did do what she did she will have documentary proof as well as proof on the Japanese side

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what im surprised is how the japanese wwii soldiers reacted to her when they found out she could speak japanese,it made her almost seem human,like one of them,maybe even threatening or superior.like they are privy to all ur secrets.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
So whoever she pointed got to live while whoever she didn't point out got to die.

""I said, 'Yes, I do'. A lot of them lived in my neighbourhood. When I identified them, they were freed."

The rest, whom she couldn't identify, weren't so lucky. Her mother's friend's son was one of the unlucky ones."

flatearther

Alfrescian
Loyal
jap soldiers heard her awful voice and saw her cb face, and those were enough to turn them off.
According to:
ppunlimited.blogspot.sg/2015/04/laundry-legacy.html
this is how she looked like in 1960 (when she was in her early or mid 30s, since she seems to have born in the late or mid 1920s):

("Mother, Yap Chwee Lan, with 7th son, Kay Chen, in her arms and eldest son, Key Szu, in front of the shop in 1960")

Attachments

• Yap Chwee Lan 1960.jpg
    Yap Chwee Lan 1960.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 812
  • ycl.JPG
    ycl.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 323

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ah Gong and keling-Ah Gong both also could speak Japanese. They must had saved even more lives. They are heroes.